Chapter 87: Finally you’re here!
438 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back at the castle, William was contemplating how he should break the news to Brice. He was polishing a blue pane of glass, when a bored voice reminded him, “You missed a spot…”. This was sudden, William thought. Usually, Brice would never bother with these mundane tasks done by his servants.

William looked astonished back at his master. This, Brice noticed. He huffed at William’s stupid stare and repeated himself, “You heard me… You missed a spot… Right there”. He then pointed towards an uncertain direction. William followed Brice’s finger but didn’t know where the spot was. So he guided the cloth around, trying to invite Brice into a game of hot and cold. Since his playmate wasn’t the talkative type, William asked cautiously, “Is it here?...”.

Brice kept his gaze on the servant. With each incorrect guess, Brice got more annoyed. “Argh!... It can’t be helped can it?”, he vented as he shot up from his chair. William stood dumbstruck as Brice went over to him, grabbed his hand, and directed it towards the pane that caused his lord so much pain. “There!”, Brice lectured. Then he went back to his resting place as if nothing had happened. But William knew those were some dubious actions Brice had just done.

First of all, there was no distinguishable spot on that pane he was so fixated on. Secondly… Why the heck was Brice so persistent on grabbing his hand and feeling it!? Could it be!?..

William scrubbed the pane just for good measure, as he smirked, thinking: Heh! Remony’s story was true! Brice also believes in the snakewoman-tale now!... But wait? Does he also suspect me of being one as the twins did? Or...

William frantically touched his hand to check its temperature. Thankfully it had returned to a normal degree, neither hot nor cold. William dunked the cloth into a bucket and asked in a servile manner, “My lord since your eyes are way keener than mine, I’m sure you won’t notice the difference if I should be absent for a month’s time… You’ve heard of those knights who were slaughtered and send back to his lordship, right? Well, one of them was my father and now my household is in shambles… I’ve held hopes that you would be so merciful as to let me serve them instead. Of course only for a month… After that, I’ll resume my duties here. If possible?..”.

Brice had been leisurely flipping through a book. When this sentence entered his ears it caused his arms to spasm, “What!?”. William blinked at Brice, who was acting way too weird right now…

Brice took in a deep breath before swiftly putting down his book, saying, “... Sure. I’m not heartless and as you’ve so kindly reminded me, I probably won’t notice the difference… You can take your leave from tomorrow and onwards. Without pay, of course”.

“Thank you”, William replied out of courtesy while he secretly held the image of the lord’s bloody-nose in mind. Then he left…

 

 

****

 

 

The moment William arrived the sun had finally begun to set beyond the rosy clouds. “Hello?..”, he gently let his voice echo throughout the Castonale house, but no one gave him a reply.

He let his bag filled with his own belongings flop down onto the floor. In it was also his sword and armor, since he wouldn’t be able to rest easy if they stayed ‘hidden’ in his shared room with Remony. Because surely someone else would fill out the space he left behind during his month of absence.

Seeing that no one came, he lighted a nearby rushlight and wandered inside Joss’ room. Inside of it, the poor boy was still resting on his bed from the shock. William went over beside the bed and said almost in a whisper, “Are you hungry, Joss?”. His brother seemed to be far gone so there was nothing he could really do but let the boy rest. Thus he began to leave. “... Mother?”, a brittle voice called out from behind William’s back. It was Joss who muttered the word.

“Joss?... Are you awake?”, William asked back, unsure of his brother’s current awareness.

Joss groggily sat up and replied, “... I guess… But…”. With a face full of empathy William went over to him and finished his sentence, “But you thought I was her…?”. Joss’ lips turned into a thin line as bitterness consumed him, “I didn’t…”. William hrmpfed at Joss’ fat lie and said, “Yes you did… And I don’t mind. At least I won’t unless you try to hack me into pieces too…”. Joss thought back to his recent outbreak and quickly buried his face inside the covers.

This made William giggle softly as he sat down beside him, “You should have seen Remony’s reaction as we went home. She was beyond shocked that you would react in such a way… And yet, originally we came running to you because of the fear of it... Even neglecting our own duties to stop you, if you should try and take revenge for our parents’ sake… Though it would be pretty cool wouldn’t it? Imagine the name you would gain from such a feat… Joss the bandit killer! Haha, splendid isn’t it?”.

Seeing as his sister tried to lighten the mood, Joss decided to peek up from his hidey-hole. This made William’s mouth curve further upwards as he continued, “But even if you got that title it would soon be taken from you by Remony, hehe. Then she would be called: Remony the destroyer of bandit killers!”.

Joss wiped his eyes and tried to imitate that smile back; “I won’t do something that rash… As long as I have you. I’ll be okay”. William coughed at this sudden sentimental revelation, “No, but!? You don’t just have me, Joss? Think about it… You also have that quarrelsome but kind master: Jarolf. Remony who cares a great deal about you and even those nervous little twins. You’ve got lots of people who care about you”.

Joss shook his head and firmly stated, “It’s not the same… Jarolf doesn’t bring me peace and Remony makes me feel like I’m changing into-… Erh… And the twins... I don’t hate them anymore, in fact, I’m fine with them being here and providing for them is something I’ll gladly do… But they’re not the same as you. You’re the only one I consider family now...”. William gaped as his skin flushed red; “Wow… Joss, I think that’s enough! You’re making it sound as if I’m the one to die next!... Haven’t you noticed!? Apparently it runs in our family to die an early death!”. This detail made Joss pale and sad again. 

“Argh! Don’t worry okay? I won’t die and you know what? I’ll be right here! At least for a month until you’re ready to tackle everyday life again…”. Hearing William declare this, removed Joss’ downtrodden expression into one of peace, “Really?... You’d do that for me?”. William went into the living room as he proudly confirmed, “Yes! I’ll be here to annoy you until I’ve chased away those grey clouds that like to flock around you. Got it? I’m here Joss!”.

“You’re here?”, Joss repeated to himself. Somehow he felt safe again. As if new ground had come to catch his falling feet, now that the old one had crumbled away...

 

 

****

 

 

The following month was a rather peculiar one for the young lord.

He had finally found someone he liked to practice with but suddenly this person was absent due to obscure circumstances. But what could he do? Seeing how this little morning exercise of his had to be crossed off his list, he left the grounds a bit downtrodden. As soon as he arrived back at his chamber he commanded, “Ready my riding gear. I’m going out for a-”. Brice blinked as the gear he wanted already laid cleaned and ready for use. “Anything else you’d like done, my lord?”, Rex asked with a voice smeared in confidence. He liked to see his lord surprised by his foresight and resourcefulness.

But for some reason, Brice quickly went from surprised to irritated? This reaction neither of them had expected. This was because, normally Brice would have the joy of bossing around his servant, seeing them surprised and passionately disturbed by his tyrant ways. But with such a doting servant as Rex, how was he supposed to feel any thrill in life?

This kind of loyal display almost made Brice sick but what did he expect? This was Rex after all. His most loyal and keen-eyed servant. Brice sighed as he massaged his own nose bridge. This was going to be a long month...

Having such depressing thoughts, he took his daily tour down to the stables with riding gear in hand. It was then he felt a strange tingling in his chest. However, this wasn’t his first time catching such an odd feeling! Having felt this sought after feeling, he immediately dropped his gear and ran over to the pen. Almost doubling over the fence in his manic rush.

“No way!?”, Brice exclaimed. The egg hatched and out came a little scaly lizard. Brice almost cried out in glee as he jumped inside the fence, not caring for the other dinosaurs within. It was a ballsy move as these dinosaurs were cranky and easy to anger. Before they decided to make him into a kebab, he scooped up the dinosaur cub and kidnapped it.

When they were in a safe place, he held it close to his chest and whispered to it, “Finally you’re here! My new little Gibby!”.

Brice knew it. He could sense this was the one. The one who would bond with him and make his life resume its former glory! And it was about time!

19