Chapter 25 – New Task
1.3k 15 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The previous poll was quite intense. As expected, assault rifle gets the most votes but I didn’t expect shotgun and sniper rifle to get a tied result. Guess I’ll have to make some special plot for either one of those types of weapon in the upcoming battle. Now, onto the chapter!

After a long thought, he decided to go for the assault rifle.

“I think I’ll stick to the assault rifle.”

“Really? You sure?” Seele doubted.

“Yeah, I mean I did say it’s an all rounder. Besides, I got another rifle I wanted to try!” Since he just unlocked new ARs in his inventory, he was itching to try and shoot one of those new powerful rifles especially the G3 and the FAL. “But that’s not all.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m thinking of carrying an extra weapon in case those big champion fuckers got me surrounded.” Tryx glanced at the rows of weapons stowed on the truck bed.

Seele followed his suit and glanced at them as well, “Wouldn’t that put more weight onto your body? Doesn’t sound like a good idea, newbie…” she shook her head as she disagrees.

The weapons are light and some of them are heavy nonetheless but looking Tryx’s physique, she knew instantly that he won’t be able to carry all of them compared to more muscular veterans out there.

“And besides that, you might need to carry more of these.” She picked up the empty magazine and shows it to him. She learned it the hard way, carrying way too much equipment endangered her life years ago. Since then, she’s been wearing lightweight gears when she fights. “You should think about it…”

Tryx waved his hand, “Eh, don’t worry about it. I got this.” He replied nonchalantly.

Thanks to the ‘Lightweight’ perk that he had just recently received after the previous bandit subjugation, he can carry extra weight up to 30% and pair it up with the ‘Fast as Lightning’ which allows him to walk faster. Since his focus is mainly fighting from range and it might require him to do a lot of running, having these two perks paired up really helps him.

“You’re still going to give it a try?”

“Like I said, don’t worry about it. I know what I’m doing.” Tryx smirked and shot a teasing look at her, “Besides, aren’t you getting way too worried about me? What happened to staying in our own personal space?”

“Don’t get it wrong, newbie. I just don’t want a dead weight supporting me in battle. I need someone who knows what how to survive in the middle of chaos. I don’t want you to die or I’ll have to forget about being an A-rank mercenary. Plus, the top brass is gonna be biting my ass all the time if you die.”

“Sounds like you have a rough time.”

Seele huffed, “Trust me newbie, it gets even shittier when you reach C-rank.” her face was displaying annoyance clearly.

“But really, I ain’t gonna die like that.”

Seele cocked a brow as she eyes him, “And why is that?”

“Isn’t it obvious? I got you, Seele ‘The Crimson Demon’ by my side.” He replied with a smile that was brimming with honesty. “I know you’ll save me when that time comes. I mean… We’re partners, aren’t we?”

Tryx was taken aback and speechless for a moment. She didn’t expect him to say such cheesy words with genuine feelings.

“What the fuck is this idiot saying?! Is he trying to tease me?! No...”

Her powers were telling that he had no malice and it wasn’t a joke either. Those lines were his honest feeling. His smile and his words, it reminds her of a certain person. Someone who she had kept in her memories as she is no longer lives in this world. The face of that person flashes before her eyes and she quickly looked away from Tryx. She grits her teeth as her heart was filled rage and annoyance.

“Don’t get full of yourself, newbie! That’s how most of them died - Saying bullshit like me being around to save them when they’re in trouble, they should’ve trained themselves to get stronger and stop relying on someone else.” She replied coldly, her hand was sweating heavily as she wipes it off using her dress.

“Geez, you don’t have to be so mean…”

“And we’re temporary partners, remember that!” She added.

Tryx shrugged and smiled bitterly, “Okay, okay… I get it.” He can hardly understand the girl. “Anyhow, got anything else to ask?”

“Yeah, do you have enough supplies to carry in the battle seeing that you’ve been spending a lot of them for this demonstration that is…” 

“Nah, I still have a lot of them. Don’t worry.”

“If that’s the case then…” She shrugged. “Let’s get back to the town…”

“Good call. I could really use a bath right now.” He looked around his body noticing that his t-shirt had build up some sweats around his chest and his armpits. He can also feel the sweat also soaked the back of his tee. “God, do I smell bad?” he sniffed the armpits, “Fuck, I am! Come on! Let’s get back to the inn! I need a good warm bath!”

The two boarded the Hilux and leaves the abandoned ranch. As the sun setting down into the distance, the lush greenery plains enters their sight once again as they cruise towards the fortified town.


5:45 p.m.

They managed to arrive at the town before the sun goes down. The sky was dyed in orange but the other side of the sky was already dyed in dark blue which signals that the night is coming. The town was covered in bright orange hue making them glow all over settlement be it streets or buildings. The activities have started to die down as the night comes. Though, that doesn’t stop from everyone walking around and continue their usual businesses.

For Tryx, he managed to secure a spot in the corner outside the public stable to park his Hilux. Once parked, he begins to cover it with camo netting added with a bunch of old rags and old crates just so that it doesn’t attract anyone’s attention.

“That should do it.” Tryx stretches his body, he grunts as his joints and muscles scream from the aching sending through his receptors.

“Newbie, I’m heading to the store there.” Seele thumbed at the general store behind her not far from where they are standing. “Need to buy something.”

“Yeah, go on ahead. I’ll be waiting here, take your time.”

With that Seele heads off and disappears into the building.

As he confirmed the girl was nowhere within his sight, he opened up the netting and the rag covering the Hilux again. He reveals the truck bed where most of his weapon was stashed. He quickly grabbed the MG-3 and pulls out of the truck. It was heavy and bulky but once it was in his hand, he managed to get a hold of it. Checking the store again, Seele was still looking at the shelves. He quickly opened up the status window and selected his ‘load outs’ in which he requests to change his current load out. Once he tapped, a message appeared.

Switch load out?
HEAVY HITTER > SHARPSHOOTER (Empty)
the weapon in your hand will be swapped with the new load out you choose

YES         NO

He tapped ‘yes’ for his choice. Suddenly, the MG-3 glows in blue light before disappearing into thin air. The weapon finally returns into the system as he checks the load out screen. The MG-3 sits exactly where it was originally, in the ‘Heavy Hitter’ load out.

He repeats the same step for the Styer Scout and the Trench gun which also asks the same question. Both of the weapons returned into his systems just as before. As long as the gun is in his hand, the system will detect and considered it ‘equipped’. As long as the slot is empty, he can equip any gun regardless of what the label is written. It was a pretty smart system and he can simply change the weapon whenever he needed to. Despite making its way into reality, traces from the previous game are still affecting the reality which was quite surprising to him. Though, the only downside was the system can only give one weapon at a time. For instance, he can only have one AKM instead of two because the system couldn’t compute for some reason.

Even so, he’s the only person in this world that owns a firearm. Thus, there was no need for hundreds of AKs.

He shuts the status window seeing that there are no more deals to be done with. He covered the Hilux once again leaving his AKM and MP5 in it like usual. He doesn’t see the need to carry either of them back to the inn despite the upcoming battle. The AKM was a good rifle but he wanted to try other assault rifles as well. And then there’s the secondary weapon he needed to carry which he still couldn’t decided just yet.

For now, he needed a good rest.

Just at the nick of time, Seele was seen approaching him. Though, there wasn’t a single grocery in her hand at all.

“I thought you’re buying something?” Seele patted the leather pouch hanging from her waist. “I see… I always forgot about your fanny pack…”

“Fanny pack?” Seele was puzzled.

He forgot that this world doesn’t use modern terms. “Forget about that… So, wanna stop anywhere for a drink?”

“No.” Seele replied and she walks ahead of him. “I’m heading back into the inn.”

Tryx catches up to her and quickly matches his speed with Seele’s, “And what? Let you use your powers in secret? Nuh uh, ain’t happening!”

She growled, “I’ve promised that I won’t use it, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I’d trust you to keep that promise. I’ll keep an eye on you.” Tryx gestured trying to make it sounds like he’s in charge here but it barely scares Seele in return.

Instead, she clicked her tongue and said “What? You gonna follow me all the way into the bath just to supervise me?”

The man smirked like a sly fox, “I don’t mind at all if I have too!” he laughed. As expected of Seele, she stomped his foot with full force. “OOOOOWWWW! HEY!” Tryx flinched in pain as it struck across his pain receptors. “Damn it Seele!” he quickly catches up to the girl. “It was just a joke!”

“Anything that comes out of your mouth is harassment.”

“Oh yeah, as if anything that comes out of your mouth are good positive vibes.”

“I don’t need to be positive.”

“So what? You’re just gonna keep saying mean and bad things to everyone?” Tryx asked and at the same time, he bet that she would. 

“Yes. Yes, I do.”

“Nailed it.” He thought so, “Including me?”

“Including you, newbie.” Seele replied with a straight face.

“Huh…” That was the only thing he could say.

Hearing that kinda hurts him but this wasn’t his first time dealing with someone like her. It’s only a matter of time until her very own big ego becomes her own demise. Then again, there must be a reason for her to become like this. Not that she would talk openly about it.

The two remain quiet along the way until they reach their lodging. The streets were still crowded as there is a night market nearby.

“Didn’t know this town has a night market…” Tryx looked onto the alley filled with crowds and lights brightening the district.

“They do. It’s only open for business every ninth and nineteenth day every month to ensure that they don’t clog up the business district.” Seele explained.

“Say, care to look anything interesting in the market?”

“Not interested.”

“You sure?”

Seele looked irritated, “I hate crowds.” She replied coldly as the girl enters the inn.

“Oh yeah, you are…”

The man followed her suit and enters the premise. He was interested in the night market. He would go to the night market whenever he had the chance just to find anything interesting to buy. It has been a long time since he went one since he reincarnated. He wondered if there are any useful things he could find in there or even some mouth watering street foods. He thought of heading to the market after taking his bath and dinner. He just hopes that his belly still have some space if he ever ate any of the food he bought from the market.

Just as the two stepped into the lobby, a familiar man noticed their arrival.

“Oh, Seele! Tryx!”

“Raymond?” Seele was surprised. “What are you doing here?”

“I was thinking of having dinner here before heading back home. You’re here for dinner too?” The 30 year old man looked at both them.

“Well, yeah. We kinda sleep here.” Tryx answered.

“You two are staying in this inn? Together? In the same room?” fear and anxiety reflected in Raymond’s eye wondering if they have gone beyond being ‘partners’.

“NO.” Tryx said sternly. “We live in our own personal room.” He quickly dismisses the trivial idea.

“Oh, that’s quite relieved…” Raymond breathes out. “Anyhow, would you two care to have a dinner with me? After all, there is something that I need to discuss with both of you.”

Seele and Tryx glanced at each other, “Both of us?”

“Yes, it’s about the town’s defense for the incoming battle.”

Seele became motivated as soonest she heard the word ‘incoming battle’. “Town’s defense, huh? Alright then, we’ll gladly take your offer for dinner.” She then tilted her head towards Tryx, “Newbie, stick around. Try not to run.”

Tryx chuckled, “That’s quite funny coming from the girl who constantly runs away from social gathering.” Seele growled upon hearing his teasing. 

“It seems that you guys are getting along pretty well.” Raymond said as he enjoys watching the scene earlier.

“Nah…”

“Hell no.”

The two quickly denied his statement as they shook their head and ridiculed each other at the scene. Raymond couldn’t be happier but to witness such sight before him unfold. Choosing him as Seele’s partner was probably the right thing.

“Anyhow, let’s continue this matter on our meals, shall we?” Raymond suggested.

“Yeah.”

“Sure.”

The two responded in unison, albeit in different response.

With that, they went into the tavern and seated at their reserved table. Their food was delivered immediately as it seems that Raymond was a priority customer. It makes Tryx wonder if this man is a regular customer to this tavern seeing that their food was delivered immediately without the need to take orders. While the two man gets a mouth watering delicacy, Seele gets a toned down and overcooked chicken with some green peas at the side. It was surprising to all of them. The Crimson Demon could feel a scornful gaze staring at the back of her head somewhere around this tavern.

“I take that you made Villi angry?” Raymond guessed.

Seele sighed, “Sort off…” she looked guilty.

“Then, you better settle whatever happened between both of you.”

“Okay…” Seele eats the chicken bitterly without any complains.

“Huh…” Tryx smiled coyly as he kept glancing at Seele.

The girl noticed his annoying glances, “What are you smiling for, newbie?” she said coldly.

“Nothing.” The gamer laughed and continues to eat his food.

Seele can tell that he wanted to say something but he was keeping it to himself. Just as they indulge their food, the girl gets straight to the point.

“Raymond, you said you got business with us about the town’s defense.”

“Yes, indeed I have.”

Tryx glanced at the man, “So, what’s it all about?”

Raymond puts down his cutlery and wiped his mouth with napkin. The air around him changed and he puts on his usual receptionist face that he always made – a tense and serious one. Seeing this reaction, Tryx can feel that a new mission is about start.

“You see, right after you left the camp, several orc scouts are reported sighted outside the wall in the evening yesterday. To make it worst, there was an attempt by the orcs to swim across the dugout under the darkness last night.”

The two was surprised to hear the news. Orc scouts? This fast? And they even tried to infiltrate the town’s defense already?

“What? How many of them?!” Tryx asked quietly trying not to alert the other customers in vicinity.

“Five or six but they simply watched it from afar.”

“For what? Assessing the town defenses?” it was Seele’s turn to ask. 

“Maybe but its possible that they are seeking entrance as well.” The receptionist deduced. “But when they were swimming across the water, there were only three of them.”

“Spies?” Tryx said as he munches the steak.

“Maybe. But if it weren’t for the guards on duty back then they would’ve been in the city by now.”

“What happened to those orcs?” Seele asked.

“The mercenaries and adventurers on patrol fought them and died before any of them could interrogate the orcs. It seems that they will not surrender at all cost despite being outnumbered.”

Both of them knew that the situation have started to get worsened. They didn’t expect that the orcs would send advance forces to infiltrate the city in the middle of the night. Whatever their reasons are, it seems the orcs are eager to get this town under their control.

“So, what happens now?” Tryx wondered. After what had just happened, of course the military wouldn’t sit and do nothing.

“It seems that the military will be taking at least hundreds of troops along with adventurers and mercenaries with them to push their attack against oncoming two battalions of orcs tomorrow.”  Raymond sipped the wine and cleared his throat. It was getting dried from all the talking already. “And they will a small number of defenders to protect this town in case the enemy decides to move one of their forces forward.”

The two finally gets the gist of it. They understand what Raymond wanted them to do.

“So, basically…” Tryx begins, “You want us to go on with a journey with the main force and hunt down the orcs, is that it?” The gamer smiled coyly hoping that his guess was correct.

However, Raymond’s response was “No, I want you to take a guard duty tomorrow.”

His expectation instantly lowered, “What… Why?” Tryx was disbelieved.

“Because the expedition force was made up from large numbers of experienced knights, mercenaries and adventurers included.” Raymond explained. “And because of that this leaves the town defense with low numbers of experience personnel. Most of the defenders are rank F to Rank C with some of the portions are rank B and above.”

“Wouldn’t that make the town more vulnerable?!” Tryx questioned.

“That’s what the commander of the 18th Corps said but the Kingdom army’s top brass at the capital wants the best warriors to hunt the orcs. They don’t see the town will be attacked soon enough.” Raymond frowned as he sips the wine more. “Whoever is at the top, it seems they don’t think about the time needed to travel at all. To move at such large numbers, they won’t have enough time to reach their targets…”

The gamer hung his head in disappointment. Tryx’s disappointment is immeasurable and his mood was ruined. 

“So, what do you want us to do?” Seele went straight to the point. Based girl, never wanted to hear any unnecessary ramblings. As long as she fights, she’ll be satisfied.

“I want you to take up guarding duty tomorrow night.”

“Night?” Seele’s eyes widened, “What about day?”

“We have several troops from 120th Cavalry and adventurers to handle that. They only lack sufficient numbers for night patrols considering most of them have been recruited to join the expedition force.”

“Ugh. Fucking night.” The Crimson Demon growled in disgust. If it something she hates, it would be fighting at night. “Can’t we switch the duties instead? I’m willing to patrol during the day.”

Raymond shook his head, “They don’t see the need to change the roles, so no.”

It was Seele’s turn to hang her head in dismay as she had no choice but to take the night shift.

“I hate fighting at night.” She hissed, “Its dark, you can’t see or hit anything.”

Gloomy and disappointment covers over both of the duo’s head, they did not expect a terrible and boring mission will be assigned to them.

Seeing that they have been demotivated, Raymond decided to change the pace. “Cheer up you two. This might be the best opportunity for your evaluation. After all, this is your first chance to display how both of you learnt from each other in the battle. Especially you Seele, you’re quite the notorious one.”

“Fine.” Seele replied nonchalantly.

“It’s good that both you understand. I expect both of you to get along very well. Your shift starts at nine o' clock in the night tomorrow. You can come early if you want but you only begin take the shift until nine.” Taking his last sip, he stood up from the chair as he prepares to leave. “Well then, it seems it’s my time to leave. I still have a shift until nine o’clock tonight. Paperwork and all that administration stuff. I hope both of you rest very well tonight. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.” The two bid their farewell as Raymond leaves the establishment.

The two remained silent after the receptionist left, they simply act like nothing happened and continue to finish their half eaten food. Tryx was the first to break the silence.

“He’s quite caring about you even for a guild receptionist.” He said as he munches down the meat.

“Well, he’s been keeping an eye on me since I first registered.” Seele replied with her mouth full. “Probably trying to keep me out of trouble.”

“Doesn’t sound like he managed to stop you from getting into trouble…”

“Most of the trouble comes from me.” She admitted. Throughout her 5 years of experience, she’s the one who usually starts the trouble.

“Didn’t know he recognized Villi too… Was she a mercenary too?”

Seele didn’t answer. She continues to munch down the meat before downing with a gulp of juice. The girl simply stood up and makes her way towards the exit ignoring his previous question.

“Really?” Tryx shook his head over her rude behavior. He quickly leaves the table and catches up to her. “Hey, wait up.” The girl stopped and faces him. “Could you at least answer before leaving the table?”

“Didn’t I say not to delve into each other’s life, newbie?” her tone changed, she sounds angry right now. “Now, stop bothering me. I need to take a bath.”

The girl swiftly turned around and climbed the stairs. Before her silhouette disappears, Tryx yelled out a final message to her.

“At least apologize to Villi! She’s still waiting for that!” Seele stopped for moment from his message. He simply assumed that the edgy girl was taken aback by his words. At the very least that will leave her wondering for a while. “Oh well… At least I still got some time for night market!”

Curbed in positive energy, Tryx walked out of the premise and heads into the crowded street filled with lights and stalls lined up along the way.

He returned quite late that night.

 

17