Chapter 20 – Agreement
1.3k 6 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry for another low quality chapter.

After hearing Sheera’s explanation, the two were stunned.

“What?” Tryx dazed out.

“Why would he need to go that far?” Seele asked seeing that it would be hassle to send someone to fetch them.

Sheera shrugged, “Eh, what do I know? He just told me to find and bring you guys straight to him. But one thing is for sure, it’s probably about the agreement though.”

“Ah, he did mention about signing the document though.” Seele recalled about the old man’s reminder. “So, when do we get to meet him?”

“Right now.”

Tryx and Seele glanced at each other for a brief moment.

“Right now?” Tryx felt it was so sudden, “I mean, the briefing’s gonna start soon…”

Sheera waved her hand, “Eh, no worries. You’ll get personal briefing in the war room from him instead!”

“Bullshit!” Seele narrowed her eyes, knowing her in the past few years it might be a joke.

“I’m not! You can ask the guild master himself.” As soonest Sheera explained, her two confidants chimed in.

“Yeah! Guild master said so!”

“You guys are some special guests he said!”

The two girls supported their leader’s claims. Based on their expression, they looked serious about it. Tryx and Seele glanced at each other one last time and nodded.

“Alright, lead the way.” Seele implored.

“Good, follow me.”

The two followed the S-rank mercenary towards one of the buildings present in the area. Unlike the open area, the administration building lacks a single sign of mercenaries and adventurers flocking around the area. Only more presence of soldiers and cavalry units in the area which could make some people feels intimidated. As soonest they reached the admin building, the guards were blocking their entrance. After a few words with the guard, they let the group pass through along with the two.  It seems only certain personnel can enter this area only if they are permitted.

The moment they stepped inside, the rooms are filled with guild staffs working on some paper works. Both of them didn’t know what these guys are actually working on but it didn’t matter to them. Throughout the hallway, there are more increasing presents of the soldiers and the guild staffs from both guilds. Tryx had only seen such view in the single player campaign level but not actually experiencing it in reality. It was his first time immersing the real atmosphere.

“First time?” Seele asked.

“Yeah… Now that you mention it, you’ve done this before?”

“A lot.”

“Of course, you’re the veteran.”

“Flattery isn’t gonna get you anywhere, newbie.”

Tryx laughed. “Oh, I’m not flattering you.”

“So, you’re mocking me then?”

“Just trying to open up a conversation. You need to at least show some positive vibes, girl.”

“Already ditched that when I joined the battle for the first time.”

“Alright you guys, here we are.” Sheera declared as they stopped before a large wooden door. “You ready?”

“We are.” Seele responded and turned towards Tryx as this was the most appropriate moment to remind of her partner. “Remember newbie, don’t…”

“Humiliate you. Yeah, I know…” Tryx gave light jab at her shoulder as a reassurance.

With that, Sheera opened the large wooden door revealing the figures waiting at the other side.

As soonest the door opened, they stepped into the room. Tryx’s eyes scanned across the room like a computer scanner as he eyes the large room. The room was twice the size of the usual panel room he used to attend. The room was full of knights guarding the entrance and several staffs discussing something with the higher ranking military officers nearby the table. And in the middle of the office, a large table with a map and a miniature town and soldiers are placed on top of it. No doubt about it, this is the war room.

Raymond who was standing nearby the door took notice of them. “Guild master, they are here.”

The old man who was in the middle of discussion turned around towards the two, “Ah, I was worried that both of you have eloped somewhere else before the battle started.” Olaf joked as he approaches the two.

“Yeah, I can see why Seele has a thing for him!” Sheera added causing the two explode in laughter.

 Seele grumbled in silence over the joke while Tryx only laughed awkwardly as he was nervous.

Olaf clapped his hands. “Anyways, let’s cut the chatter and get to business shall we?”

“Yes sir.” Tryx and Seele said in unison. At the very least, they were glad no more jokes are coming up.

“Well, guess I’ll take my leave then.” Sheera said as she prepared to leave.

“Thank you for your hard work, Miss Hun.”

“Oh please, you don’t to thank me, guild master. Just doing my job! Well, I’ll see you next time!” With that the woman bids farewell to everyone in the room and disappeared with her aides.

Once the S-rank is gone from the scene, Olaf and Raymond set their eyes on the two who are present.

“Alright then… Raymond, get the documents.”

The receptionist went off to the table full of papers and grabbed to documents. It didn’t take that long for him to return to and hands over the documents to both of them.

“Take your time reading it. If you feel something needed to be change, just let us know.” Raymond said.

“Understood.” Tryx replied as he begins reading the contents of the paper.

Seele was used to the contents of the paper, so she skimmed a lot of the content especially the oath part and reads the important bits of the document. Tryx on the other hand, well, had a hard time trying to comprehend whatever was written on the paper. It was like one of those terms & agreements that most companies would use before installing a game back in his world. Really bothersome and troubling for most consumers. So, he simply skipped the oath part and into the rules implemented. Good thing the rules are not boring at all, this is where he felt the need to read. There are few rules listed in the documents and some of them are standard non-disclosure agreement or something like that.

“Any questions?” Olaf asked awaiting the two to finish reading the contents.

Tryx raised his hand, “Yeah, can we still amend whatever is written in this document even after we signed it?”

“Yes, if the other party agrees to it.”

Tryx glanced at the ‘other party’ who also shot back with a glare. Knowing Seele’s attitude, convincing her might be hard but so far, none of the contents in these documents are questionable enough for him to amend it. Then again, just to be sure he asked again.

“Are the contents of our documents different?”

“Yes, the document in Miss Seele’s hand is agreement to undertake the responsibilities for A-rank evaluation while yours is agreement to supervise and becoming her partner. Anything else?”

“No, not at all.” Seele responded.

 “And how about you, Mr. Tryx? Are there any changes you want to make?” Olaf asked. Everyone had their eyes on him.

Tryx shook his head, “Nope, not for now.”

Seele sighed, this whole commotion is taking way too long. “I guess we’re good, guild master.”

“Well then, you two may sign the agreement.”

“So, how are we gonna do this? Do we have to read the oath?” Tryx asked.

“No, you don’t have too. Unless if that’s what you wanted.” Olaf replied.

“I refuse.” Seele said instantly.

“Ok… I’ll go with her...” If that’s what his senior wants then, he’ll follow her demands.

Tryx pulled out his tactical pen and writes his signature at the bottom of the paper. The signature was wonky as he only held it by his hand instead of placing it on a solid flat surface. But alas, this at least shows that he has ratified the agreement. Seele on the other hand, she bit her finger as strong as she could until it bleeds. Using the blood she signed the agreement. Tryx stood there motionless as he was stunned with what he had just seen. He thought for a moment whether if he needed to sign it with his blood but Raymond simply shook his head. Perhaps this is just Seele’s way of doing things. 

Raymond took the documents and inspects it along with Olaf. After a few moments, they were satisfied.

“Alright then, Miss Seele. From today, you will be evaluated by Mr. Tryx who will also be your partner in the next two months as the next A-level mercenary. You are obligated to lead and guide Mr.Tryx as an exemplary and outstanding senior in their missions.” Olaf then turned to Tryx, “Mr. Tryx, you are obligated to monitor and assist her in every way. Should you found any misdeed done by Ms. Seele herself, you must report it in the final day of the evaluation. Her worth as the A-level mercenary depends on your words. Do you accept the agreements?”

“Yes, we do.” The two said in unison.

Olaf smirked, “With that, your partnership begins from today. I expect the best from both of you.”

“We won’t let you down, sir.” Seele replied with reassurance.

Olaf was satisfied with the outcome, “Good, now let’s get done with these formalities.”

Tryx was surprised to see the old man’s sudden change.

“Huh, didn’t expect you to be tired of formalities, sir.”

“Well, I’m old and this whole thing is getting on my nerves once in a while. I prefer to get smaller things done quickly.” Olaf laughed. “After all, we got bigger fish to fry here. Follow me, please.”

The duo followed the old man towards the table where the map was laid out. As he knows, the soldiers represent the defenders and the castle represents the town. What interested him the most are the monsters that represent the orcs. Unlike the defenders which were spread out around the plains which was situated to the west of the town itself. He’s not a strategist himself but he was pretty sure that the last time he met them, the orcs move in a single group. But what’s with this sporadic movement?

“I believe Miss Hun informed you that I will be personally briefing you?”

“Yes, she did.” Seele answered.

Olaf coughed and began explaining, “As you can see, the movements of the orc forces are across Silesi Region. It seems like they are concentrating all of their forces to attack a single target – Bulgen Town. It was believed that the group of orcs first encountered by a traveller several days ago who had saved one of the Kingdom’s Army scout officer who was on a secret mission.”

Tryx’s eyes widened, he knew who was Olaf referring too – It was him. And as for the scout officer, it was definitely Yuwen. It seems that they have simply stated ‘traveler’ instead of his name. He then felt a stare piercing him from the side and it came from none other than Seele herself.

“What?” He asked.

“Nothing.” She replied monotonously.

He has no idea if Seele figured out that the mystery man was him or she knew he was hiding something. But Tryx confirmed that she definitely suspected something. Tryx let it slide and focuses back onto the briefing.

“And just a day ago, two more orc battalions are spotted outside the Frexi Village and Gorna Outpost. All of them were razed to the ground, no survivors were left alive.” He sounded serious as if he was angry by the news. Taking a short breath he continues, “The reconnaissance unit that was sent managed to escape and it seems all of the orc forces are heading here as we speak.”

“How long would it take for them to arrive here?” Tryx asked.

“Based on their size? It takes around four days to arrive if they have enough food that is...”

Then, it was Seele’s turn to ask. “Sir, who’s the leader of the orc forces?”

“That… We haven’t reached conclusion yet.” Olaf was slightly agitated when he answered. “Why? Do you have something in your mind?”

Seele crossed her arms, “Nothing, sir. It’s just that, it’s quite strange. Orcs usually moves in a large group but not move in a single unit and COORDINATELY at that. They go on rampage and start pillaging without proper directions. If they meet orcs from other clan, they’d fight each other to death but not this one. They move in a single unit. It’s as if this is all was planned.”

“What are you saying?” Tryx raised his brows.

“I’m saying that someone is pulling the strings from behind.” Seele suggested and everyone around the table was shock by her words.

“We’re not sure about that yet.” One of the knights answered. “They could be sharing the same purpose.”

Seele narrowed her eyes, she turned skeptical. “Orcs does not share similar purpose even if all of them from different tribes. Does Haresha Empire know about this?”

“They haven’t made any statements yet.” a sergeant answered. “But we are keeping an eye on their movements.”

“You think the Hareshians are involved in this?” Olaf asked giving a doubtful gaze on her.

As everyone eyed onto the young mercenary for answer, Seele bears a doubtful look in her eyes. Even she was uncertain of the current situation as well.

“I don’t know. But for now, let’s just focus on the orcs. I don’t think the Hareshians are gonna make any declarations soon enough.”

Olaf strokes his beard, “You might be right. After all, they signed the peace treaty four years ago and their current leader isn’t the type to wage war either.”

“So, what’s the best course of action?” The knight captain asked.

“For now, we’ll monitor their movements and prepare for battle if necessary.” Olaf suggested. “And I was thinking of having you two in the front lines hunting down the orcs before they reach the town but…” He then turned towards Tryx, “I’ve never seen how you fight or what kind of strength you possess Mr. Tryx, so I’ve decided to put you along with Seele as apart of the town’s defense instead. Are you fine with that?”

“Uh…” Tryx was wondering - should he follow the guild master’s recommendation? Though, he couldn’t help but feeling that hunting down the rest of the orcs sounds even better especially he gained better perks and kill streaks. He knew it was his chance for payback against the orcs. As he was about to express his wishes, Seele tugged his sleeve. “What is it?”

Seele gestured telling him to lean downwards. Following her orders, he lends his ears and Seele whispered. He was skeptical at first over her plans but eventually, he followed.

“As what you and Seele recommended, I’ll gladly follow your words sir.” Tryx replied halfheartedly. It wasn’t according to his plan but still, there might be a reason to it.

“Well then, I hope you two can perform well in the upcoming battle. Any more questions?” Olaf expects another barrage of questions to come.

Tryx glanced at Seele hoping to see if she has any questions. The girl simply shook her head and he doesn’t have any questions either.

“No, we don’t.”

“Well then, you are dismissed. Feel free to come into the camp site if you need to spar.”

Tryx blinked, “Spar?” Before he could ask further, Seele stomped his feet out of sudden and it was quite strong.

THUD

“Oww!” Trxy looked annoyingly at Seele wondering why she would do such thing.

However, she simply bowed ignoring his scornful glare. “Thank you for your time, guild master. We shall take our leave now.”

Seele grabbed the gamer’s sleeve and dragged him out of the war room without any warning.

The atmosphere becomes less intense and everyone returned to their work. 


“Hey, let go!” Tryx demanded as he struggles to release the girl’s grip from his sleeve.

“Okay.” After a long struggle, Seele eventually releases his arm and walked ahead of his partner leaving him behind

“Hey, wait up!” Tryx catches up to her. “Yo, you don’t have to stomp my feet like that!”

“Couldn’t be help, I’m starting to get annoying with all the question bullshit.”

“Well at least, let me ask because I’m NOT FROM AROUND HERE, y’know?”

“It’s pointless to ask about the sparring match, you wouldn’t survive.”

Tryx scoffed, “Please, I’m all prepared!” he replied confidently as he has the secret weapon that he had unlocked recently – tazer gun and stunned knife.

Seele narrowed her eyes, she was doubt of his claim. “Fuck that shit. You didn’t even survive my punch when we first met!”

“That’s because you’re not being friendly. You don’t punch a guy when you first met.”

“Oh, and if a bunch of guys tries to seduce me and grope me all over my place, you’re suggesting that I shouldn’t do anything? Is that it?” Seele raised her brows.

Tryx raised his finger trying to make a comeback with a counter argument but he couldn’t think of something to detest her claims. In the end, he simply sighed deeply accepting his defeat.

“Fair enough. But you shouldn’t punch someone before they could even do anything!”

“You don’t get to tell me that.” Seele shot a smug trying to get on his nerves.

He sighed knowing that there’s nothing he could do to stop this girl. But then again, there are more pressing matters to ask than playing around her little games. Especially her proposal back then…

“Hey, Seele…”

“What?”

“Why did you against about hunting the orcs down?”

Seele stopped walking prompting Tryx to do the same. She then turned around glaring at him with serious eyes. Tryx can feel something was about to come.

“Say, newbie. How many people know about your weapons?”

It was sudden. He didn’t expect that such question came out of her mouth.

“Just you and me…” He tried his hardest remembering who had seen the weapon in action. As far as he concerned, only he and Seele have used it to kill the bandits.

Though, back when he arrived at the town, no a lot of knight bat an eye and simply dismissed the machineguns as snouts and noses. Practically, no one has ever used aside him or that elf.

“Wait…” Then he remembered someone who has used the weapon once. “Yuwen…” he muttered in silence.

“So, that means three. Huh…”

Tryx startled, “Wait, you misheard it!” he tried to deny it but it was useless.

“Give it up, newbie. You know my power. I can tell that you’re lying.” Tryx stuttered and cursed himself for revealing her name, “So, it is true that you're the traveler.”

"If so, what about it?"

"Nothing, just glad that we got to know early thanks to your actions. And quite the fool to fight them head on." 

"Why thank you..." Tryx replied cynically. It was meant to be a joke. 

"Then, I assume that the scout officer that you saved was still alive?"

“What’re you gonna do about it? You gonna hunt her down and kill her?!” Tryx speculated worried that Seele might actually plan something bad.

“What are you talking about, idiot? I'm just making sure that no one knows about your weapon. Its for the best if only few people know of its existence.”

“Why? It’s not like this brings any impact…”

“It does. Trust me, newbie. With that weapon of yours, everyone would want to get their hands on it. We both know what it capable of. A weapon that can someone from distance with a small metal pebbles without the use of magic? Do you think the merchants, alchemists and soldiers are gonna let you walk away? If those weapons fell into the wrong hands, who knows what could happen in the future.”

Tryx swallowed his saliva after hearing those cold monotonous words. He had forgotten that firearms are quite a rarity, if not, doesn’t exist in fantasy world. If this was given to a peasant and tell them to train over and over again, they would be able to kill a knight armed with a sword alone. To get their hands on one of these would change the landscape of warfare in this world.

“Huh, you’re probably right…” Tryx nodded agreeing with her statements.

“For now, try to keep yourself low and under the radar.”

“If you say so... But then again…” He paused and gazed onto the girl with a warm smile. “Didn’t know you cared about me…”

“I don’t.” Seele replied coldly. “I’m only interested on how to use you and your weapons to my advantage. Make sure not to drag me down in the two months, newbie.”

Tryx was taken aback, “Okay that was quite mean, you know!”

The two continues walking and exited the admin building as Seele listens to his ramblings. By the time they reached the depot, the briefing had already ended and several mercenaries and adventurers have started leaving the area. Some stayed behind for the sparring match between the participants that gain lot of attention from crowds particularly the mercenary groups. Even the knights are invested into to the point someone decided to be the bookie for the match despite it being just a simple spar. Tryx suggested that they should stick around longer but Seele was anti-social and she despises large crowd. In the end, the duo left the depot for their inn despite its still 3:43 p.m in the evening. Despite several suggestions by Tryx, Seele insisted in returning to the inn and call it a day.

The duo was a few meters away from approaching their inn.

“Damn girl, you need to enjoy the nature instead of cooped up in your room! And get tanned already, will ‘ya?! Your skin is so pale that it makes you looked like a vampire thanks to that hood!”

Tryx’s words didn’t cut deep but it was really annoying for her.

“You don’t get to tell me how I dress myself!” Seele huffed out and bites off the apple she had bought earlier.

“At least groom yourself! You’d make jump scare every time you appear.” Tryx couldn’t help remembering the two earlier incidents. She just constantly popped out of nowhere like a ghost! “Besides, try to put on a makeup!”

Despite eating an apple, she cringed. Not because of the apple but because of his suggestion.

“Ugh, makeups are annoying! Do you even know how long does it take to put on a makeup?”

Based on his previous life’s knowledge, his female teammates took at least 1-2 hours just to put on a makeup before the match begins.

“Yes, yes I do.”

“Then, you know why it’s useless. Plus, when you’re in this line of job you tend to sweat a lot and what does sweat does to makeup? They ruin it. That’s why it’s better to look ugly than being ugly because of a ruined makeup.”

“Fair enough.” He nods in agreement. Makeup sure is hard to come off; once they got ruined it’s even worse. “But still, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t groom yourself. Maybe that’s why most people avoided you. Not because of your ego but your looks.”

His words were meant to be a joke but those last few lines; it struck her hard forcing her to stop. Her looks, yes, that’s what scares her. Seele the Crimson Demon – the moniker she got for fighting non stop while covered in the blood of her enemies. No one dares to face her head on but it all changed until that fateful day.

 "Perhaps, she was too eager to show her status as the Crimson Demon. The fact she also bath in the blood of her own comrades..."

Those words kept ringing in her head. The more she remembers about it, the more it hurts her. She was still haunted by the past.

Tryx realized that Seele had stopped walking. “Seele?” He approaches the girl and patted her shoulder. “Hey, you okay?”

The girl remained silent for a few moments. And then, she spoke.

“I need to take a nap. Leave me.” Seele walked ahead and entered the inn ahead of him.

Tryx was baffled and has no idea what actually in her mind. She’s been keeping it to her self and refuse to talk much. Not that the girl is sociable or even friendly. He could barely tell what her expression was thanks to that annoying hood. Not that he like doing favors but that girl doesn’t seem want to share any troubles considering her introvert nature.

The gamer simply scratches his head, “Fuck, I just don’t get it.” If its one thing he can never understand, it would be a girl’s thought. Or maybe in this case, Seele’s thoughts. “Whatever, I’ll just go and check my status window.”

As he prepares to enter the inn, a voice stopped him.

“Hold it right there!”

Tryx quickly spun around, readying his G18 in the concealed carry holster. He was prepared to face who ever called him out. Keeping his guns holstered, he scanned the possible threats standing behind him.

There were 5 figures standing behind him and all of them had the usual fantasy-medieval armor getup. Based on their getup, it was possible that they are based off the typical RPG characters. The center was definitely the ‘hero’, two girls at the back had a witch hat and a Nun’s habit which makes them as a ‘witch’ and ‘priestess’ class respectively. The rest two were boys who had the class of ‘thief’ and ‘archer’ based on the weapons they had. Though, despite the usual getup since the town is full of them wearing it, one thing was off.

All of them looked Asian.

No matter how much he looked at them, they all bear the same resemblance. Black/Brown eyes and black hair with a distinctive Asian faces. Plus, they looked like a bunch of high school students. This was a sudden since he arrived in this world; there wasn’t single Asian based person in this town. He couldn’t helped but think that they might be from another country? Another continent?

But all those theories were thrown to the side when he saw something floating above their heads. Letterings glowing in neon yellow words.

wwwMonstaBeamwww
WITCH

KuugaRocks2001
ARCHER

XoFurochanXo
PRIESTESS

~YAMINOTAICHOU69~
HERO

NeroLover_uwu
THIEF

Tryx was surprised to see such feature. He had never seen such thing for so long. He knew what this is. It’s the IFF system from the ‘Warfighter’ game. But he never thought he’d seen it here.

“What the fuck?! How? Why? What’s happening?” Tryx tried to find the most reasonable explanation but nothing came up to his mind.

“Excuse me!” The hero said again which prompts Tryx readying to draw his gun, “Wait! Please answer us!”

“What? Who are you people?!” Tryx yelled back as this might be a trap.

With the desperate look in his eyes, the hero asked. “Please tell us… Are you a player?”

21