Chapter 25 – Centipede
90 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ground quaked beneath us as the colossal centipede emerged from the ground, its immense form towering over us like a nightmarish apparition.

The creature's exoskeleton gleamed with a metallic sheen, and its countless legs moved with sinuous grace, propelling it forward with alarming speed. Its jaws, sharp as daggers, snapped menacingly, hungry for a taste of our flesh.

Felix's voice pierced through the tension, his tone filled with urgency. "Soren, Pascal, commence a front assault!"

Soren and Pascal, the tanks of our group, leaped into action with primal ferocity. Their towering forms bristled with grit as they positioned themselves between us and the charging centipede.

Soren's scaly skin shimmered in the sunlight as he unleashed a barrage of lightning-quick strikes, his sharp claws tearing through the centipede's armored hide. Pascal's muscular arms swung with devastating force, each blow delivering an impact that echoed through the forest.

"Elandril, Violet! Focus your attacks on its weak spots!" Felix yelled, his pupils changing into a deep shade of yellow.

"Roger!" The two twins responded in unison, swiftly moving into formation.

Elandril's hands danced through the air, conjuring swirling torrents of water that crashed against the centipede's underbelly, exploiting its vulnerability. Violet's fingertips glowed with an ethereal blue light as she unleashed shards of ice, piercing the centipede's armor and slowing its relentless advance.

When William first told me they were one of the strongest teams in the guild, I hadn't believed him. But judging from what I was seeing now, I saw that he was absolutely right. Every member of the team had a role to play, roles which they skillfully filled to perfection.

Seeing that the team was busy fighting, I moved further back to keep a watchful eye on the horses. My grip tightened around the reins as the horses whinnied nervously, sensing the danger that surrounded us.

The battle intensified as the centipede retaliated with its own arsenal of deadly attacks. It lashed out with lightning-fast strikes, its razor-sharp fangs seeking to rend flesh and bone.

The ground trembled beneath its massive bulk, sending shock waves rippling through the trees. The two tanks dodged and weaved, their movements synchronized through unspoken communication, each of them relying on the other to fill the gaps in the other's defense.

"I can't keep this up for much longer!" Soren shouted, jumping over one of the centipede's claws.

Pascal remained quiet, but even from far away, I could tell that fatigue was quickly wearing on him.

"A couple more minutes!" Felix yelled back, his fingers tracing something over the ground.

As the gravity of the situation sank in, a sense of urgency gripped me. The centipede's massive form loomed closer, its razor-sharp legs thrashing about, seeking to crush anything in their path. I felt a surge of adrenaline course through my veins as I reached for Blood Reaper, knowing that things were about to take a deadly turn.

Before I could grasp my sword, a thunderous impact resonated through the forest. The centipede lunged forward, headbutting Soren with brutal force.

I watched in horror as Soren's body soared through the air, crashing into a tree before crumpling to the ground, motionless.

Oh, shit!!!

"Don't lose focus!" Felix screamed, his voice snapping everyone out of their thoughts.

Elandril and Violet, their faces etched with grim determination, intensified their barrage of spells. Water surged and ice crackled, enveloping the centipede in a tempest of elemental fury. But despite their valiant efforts, the centipede's armored hide seemed impenetrable, its resilience defying our assault.

It's too strong! They won't hold it for much longer!

With each passing moment, the looming sense of danger deepened. The ground beneath me trembled once again, emanating a palpable wave of power, but this time it wasn't coming from the centipede.

Goosebumps prickled across my skin as I sensed an intense surge of mana coming from Felix. My eyes widened in disbelief as Felix's voice pierced the chaos, an incantation riding the air.

"DESTRUCTION CYCLONE!"

As if in response, a vortex materialized in the sky, growing in size and ferocity. The tornado whirled within its own core, gathering strength and fury. The air crackled with anticipation as Felix directed the swirling tempest downward, unleashing its cataclysmic might upon the centipede.

An explosion erupted with a deafening roar, the centipede's shrieks of agony reverberating through the forest. Dust and debris filled the air, casting a hazy veil that obscured my sight.

As the dust settled and the echoes of the centipede's agonized cries faded into the ether, I looked up and saw the aftermath.

WHAT IN THE WORLD!?!

A scene of devastation lay before me. The once lush and vibrant forest lay in ruins, a landscape scarred by the ferocity of the battle. Towering trees, once teeming with life, now stood as skeletal remnants, their branches stripped bare, charred, and splintered.

The force of Felix's attack had obliterated everything in its path, leaving a desolate wasteland for at least half a mile. The ground was marred by deep craters, scattered debris, and smoldering embers that cast an eerie glow.

My gaze turned to my companions, their figures emerging from the haze of smoke and dust. Pascal, the mighty Gorilla man, cradled the unconscious form of Soren in his massive arms, his face etched with concern.

A couple of feet away, I saw Elandril, guiding a limping Violet, her feisty spirit now diminished in the wake of the battle.

Felix, lay sprawled on the ground, his body bruised and battered from the exertion of his formidable spell. His weary eyes met mine, a mix of exhaustion and determination shining through.

"What did you think of my trump card?"

"That was horrifying," I answered honestly. "If you ask me that was an S-rank attack."

"If I was an S-rank adventurer I'd be capable of casting that spell another ten times, at least."

"Regardless, that was an amazing attack," I said, lending him my hand.

With a grateful nod, Felix accepted my outstretched hand and rose to his feet. Our attention turned to Pascal, who gently laid an unconscious Soren on the ground in front of us.

"How badly is he injured?" Felix asked, his voice laced with worry.

Pascal's response came in the form of a solemn nod, his usually calm demeanor replaced by a somber silence. I could sense the gravity of the situation by the intensity in his eyes.

"Elandril we need your help!"

"I'll be right with you, boss."

Elandril swiftly guided Violet to a nearby rock, ensuring she could catch her breath and find a momentary reprieve. Sensing the urgency of the situation, he hurried to Soren's side.

I watched intently as the elf performed a quick examination, his skilled hands moving with precision. Tension gripped the air, holding us captive, until finally, a sigh of relief escaped Elandril's lips, signaling a positive outcome.

"Don't worry, everyone," Elandril announced. "Soren has a couple of broken ribs, but he's going to be okay."

Felix nodded, visibly relieved by the news. "Vick, can you bring me the white bag I left with my horse."

"On it."

Without hesitation, I jogged over to the horses and retrieved the bag, tossing it back to Felix. He opened it, revealing a collection of healing potions nestled within.

"Hold his head up higher," Felix instructed.

Elandril nodded and adjusted his grip, supporting Soren's head at a better angle.

With a steady hand, Felix brought the vial to the lizard man's lips, pouring the blue liquid into his mouth. Time seemed to stretch as we anxiously waited for the effects to take hold. For a moment, there was no immediate change, and a flicker of worry crept into my thoughts, threatening to overshadow my hopes.

But then, as if a switch had been flipped, Soren's eyes flew open, and he coughed, the suddenness of his awakening startling us all.

I stood there in awe as I witnessed the miraculous effects of the potion. Soren's bruises and injuries faded away, leaving no trace of their existence.

Violet and Elandril rushed to Soren's side, engulfing him in a heartfelt embrace.

Soren chuckled, rolling his eyes playfully. "Come on, guys, I'm fine."

Violet wiped away a tear, her voice filled with relief. "You better not scare me like that again! Just be more careful from now on, okay?"

Soren nodded, his expression earnest. "You have my word. I'll be less reckless."

A strange warmth filled my chest as I witnessed the genuine care and camaraderie among the team. It was comforting to see Violet's icy facade melt away, revealing her softer side. Perhaps she wasn't as bad as I initially thought.

As the rest of the team finished consuming their potions, Felix's voice broke the momentary tranquility. "We should get moving. After all the ruckus we made, there's no doubt in mind that we've attracted some unwanted attention."

"I agree with the boss," Soren said, tying his sword to his back. "Let's get out of here before more beasts arrive."

We mounted our horses, immersing ourselves once more in the embrace of the dense woods. The rhythmic cadence of hooves resonated through the forest, a steady beat that accompanied my thoughts.

"Shouldn't we be moving slower?" I asked, breaking the silence. "What if we run into a trap?"

Soren shook his head, chuckling. "Traps are the least of our worries... Wouldn't you rather run into some bandits than another centipede?"

"Uh, I guess..." 

"How peculiar," Elandril pondered, his gaze drifting toward the surrounding foliage.

"What's peculiar?" Soren asked. 

"Isn't uncommon for centipedes to venture to the surface?"

Soren's eyes flickered with contemplation as he offered his insight. "You're right! There must have been some disturbance, something that compelled it to leave its underground habitat."

"You know, now that I think about it, we're not too far from Thornshade," Violet noted, her tone laced with intrigue. "You think this has anything to do with what's going on?"

"Let's not jump to conclusions just yet," Felix answered. "We need more information before we make any assumptions... For now, let's focus on reaching Mapleton safely."

"Boring!" Violet said, the rest of the team chuckling in response.

As the daylight waned, casting elongated shadows through the foliage, we remained alert with a heightened sense of vigilance.

Hours passed in relative silence, the occasional rustle of leaves and the soft whispers of the wind being our only companions.

Emerging from the confines of the thick woods, we found ourselves standing on the banks of a tranquil river. Its shimmering waters mirrored the moon's gentle glow, creating an ambient scene that brought a momentary respite from the arduous day.

As I took in the serene view, my eyes were drawn to a sight that lay beyond, a small village nestled in the distance, its twinkling lights like beacons of hope.

"That's Mapleton!!!" Violet exclaimed, her voice filled with a spark of excitement.

Soren let out a breath of relief. "After a long day, it seems we've finally arrived."

"How are we supposed to cross the river?" I asked, eyeing the steady stream before us.

Felix chuckled, a mischievous glimmer in his eyes. "Don't worry, it's not as shallow as it seems."

With those words, he nudged his horse forward, leading the way into the river with confidence.

One by one, we followed his lead, our horses wading through the gentle currents, the water barely grazing our boots.

As we drew nearer to Mapleton, the village unfolded before me, its charm undeniable. The old-fashioned buildings stood tall along the streets, a mix of weathered hay and solid stone. Lanterns cast a warm glow, guiding our way along the worn cobblestones.

A sense of tranquility hung in the air as if the town itself was peacefully slumbering, waiting to be awakened by the soft steps of nighttime wanderers. Through curtained windows, candlelight flickered, revealing the quiet lives being lived inside.

Surveying the quaint town, I came to the realization that there wasn't a single inn in sight. Compared to Ravenwood, Mapleton was truly the embodiment of what I considered "desolate".

"Where will we be staying?"

Violet's gaze met mine, and though her expression remained unreadable, there was a softness to her features that I hadn't seen before.

"We'll be lodging in one of the guild's safe houses."

"The guild has a safe house in Mapleton?!"

Violet shrugged. "The guild has hundreds of safe houses all over the province."

As we made our way to the outskirts of the village, my gaze was captured by a magnificent house perched on top of a small hill. It stood distinct from the surrounding dwellings, a charming blend of cottage and mansion, adorned with intricate stonework and lush gardens that sprawled in harmony. Its very presence demanded attention.

Approaching the front gate of the cottage, my senses were greeted by a most unexpected scene. Emerging to welcome us was an elderly woman, possessing the unmistakable physical characteristics of a sheep.

She moved with a grace that belied her age, her eyes sparkling with timeless wisdom. Her arms opened wide, beckoning Felix into an embrace.

"Felix, my dear, it's been far too long," the sheep lady exclaimed, her voice filled with genuine affection. "You've grown older since the last time I saw you"

"Miss Glover, it's wonderful to see you again," Felix replied, a faint blush creeping onto his cheeks.

"How long has it been?" Miss Glover asked. "Ten years? Fifteen years?"

Felix chuckled, scratching the back of his head. "Something like that. Have you talked to the guild master?"

"Yes! I talked to Will last night and he's caught me up to date with the mission."

"That's good," Felix said, turning his attention to us. "Miss Glover, I'd like to introduce you to my team."

He gestured towards each of us in turn, his words resonating with a deep sense of respect and camaraderie. "This is Soren, a masterful enhancer and my trusted second in command. Then we have Pascal, our main tank. We have Elandril, the first of the twins, and a highly skilled water mage. We also have Violet, the second twin, possessing exceptional talent as an ice mage; and last but certainly not least, our newest member, Vick."

Miss Glover's eyes twinkled with a curious glimmer, a reflection of her inquisitive nature. Her warm smile embraced each of us, but I couldn't help but notice her gaze lingering on me as if silently acknowledging something more.

Did William tell her something? Perhaps William told her that I'm Dahlia's student? If that's the case, that would mean that Miss Glover knows who Dahlia is...

"I am truly honored to make your acquaintance," Miss Glover expressed graciously, her words infused with sincerity.

Felix's expression grew serious as he turned back to Miss Glover. "I'd like to discuss the details of our mission as soon as possible."

Miss Glover nodded, her eyes darting around as if to ensure the conversation would remain private. "Yes, let's not waste any time. Come inside, everyone. We have much to discuss, and it's best to avoid any prying eyes."

3