017 Message from the past
2k 7 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Is everything all right?"

It took a moment for them to recover from their shock. Although I still can't imagine anything that could have surprised them that much. And it was the black-haired man who spoke first.

"Are... are you genuine?"

This question confuses me as much as her previous behaviour. Which is why I only frown in confusion. As I look at my body and pat it down.

"Uh, yes? I don't think I understand the question..."

"Your hair girl. Is that really your real hair colour?"

Although this time he was more specific. But that doesn't really help me with my confusion. I mean, yes. My hair is pink. But still, isn't that kind of rude? Or is the colour maybe some kind of taboo? So I try to look as confident as possible when I answer.

"Yes. Yes, this is my real hair colour. Does it matter?"

The eyes of both of them look shocked again when I declare that. But they don't seem hostile, so it's not a taboo. I mean, I've never seen anyone else with that hair colour, but it can't be that rare, right?

It was the woman who first realised I had no idea what you were talking about. But for some reason, she seemed to hesitate for a moment before addressing me.

"Don't you know what that means? My grandfather once told me about it. Before the Great Decline. Only members of the Imperial Family have this hair colour! Who were your parents? What is your name?

I think I just got the same shocked look as those two before. A member of the imperial family? The Great Decline? I'm here to find answers, not more questions...

Even Chloe and Paula are looking at me with surprise now. They're probably asking themselves the same questions I'm asking myself. Yet, still in shock, I barely notice their glances.

Isgard is taking over my introduction, as I am showing no reaction. "Mistress is Victoria of the High Mountain... but something is missing... I'm sure that's not all of it...

Even before I could think about what Isgard had said, a statue of Hephaestus began to glow. And it wasn't long before the room was bathed in a blinding, warm light.

I walk down a long corridor. To my left, a row of Gothic style windows is providing daylight. On my right, masterfully crafted works of art and paintings decorate the wall. How did I get here? And more importantly, why am I here?

I am trying to stop and take a closer look at one of the paintings. But I realise that I have no control over my body. Is this a dream? I think again how I got here. Or where I was last, but I can't remember.

As I continue down the corridor, I realise that I am not alone. I cannot see them, but I am accompanied by at least two people. And according to the sound of it, each of us is wearing armour.

After we turn a corner, the end of the corridor is in sight. A large double door, guarded by two dwarven soldiers in heavy armour. Each armed with a halberd and a sword at their belt.

My gaze is fixed on the door the whole time. Only shortly before I reach it, I stop and take a quick look over my shoulder.

I am quite surprised when I see my companions for the first time. They are Isgard and Siegward, in the same heavy armour as the guards.

I give them a short nod, and they position themselves, each at one side of the corridor, to wait for me there. Only then I continue my way to the door again. And when I am only three steps away from it, it is opened by the two soldiers in a practised routine.

With confident steps, I follow a long carpet. And while the master of ceremonies announces me, I follow my path towards the throne.

"Her Imperial Highness, Princess Victoria!"

Princess? Since when am I a princess? And how did I get here? Is this some kind of vision? Or maybe a flashback to the past or something? I almost lose myself in my thoughts before I become aware of my surroundings again.

I'm in a large audience chamber now. On both sides of the carpet, many nobles or other important people in expensive clothes are gathered. However, my body pays no attention to any of them.

My eyes are fixed solely on the throne. Or rather on the person sitting on it. It is a sturdy looking dwarf, with the same pink hair that I have. But he also has a full beard in the same colour.

The stone throne on which he sits looks cheap at first sight. However, it is flawless and was undoubtedly made by a master craftsman. And behind him, two blue banners embroidered with golden threads can be seen.

I follow the carpet further and stop a few steps in front of the emperor. No one else would approach the sovereign this close. However, nobody dares to stop me.

"Father."

What? Father? I mean, yes. If I'm a princess, this man must be my father. But this is all happening so fast...

The emperor just gives a sigh and makes a gesture of wiping away with his hand. It doesn't take a minute, and the hall is completely cleared. He sighs again and begins to speak.

"What is it, my daughter?"

"You know very well why I am here, Father. Is there really no other way?"

"Victoria, we have been through all this before. The Northern Fortress has already fallen, and our army has been defeated. This is our last hope."

"But what of our allies? Are none of them willing to help us?"

The Emperor shakes his head, he seems more exhausted than he was a moment ago.

"The Elves have dispatched their troops, but they do not arrive in time. They can't help us anymore. While the Human Lords have ignored our calls. They cannot or will not come to our aid."

I don't really know what this conversation is about. Apparently, there's a war going on, and we're on the losing side. Is this an event from the past? Is this perhaps before the Great Decline?

"I will not leave you behind, Father!

The emperor looks upset now.

"Enough! I will not allow you to go down with me. Not after what happened to your brother."

I look down at my feet now and answer in a weak voice.

"But what about you, Father?"

He, however, replies determined.

"My place is here, but you must live on. for the sake of our people and for a better future."

And the next moment, I was back in the temple.

"You have raised your level in Create Life. You and your subjects have regained some of their lost memories."

I stare at the notification, trying to process what just happened.

"Victoria, are you okay? Why are you crying?"

It was Chloe who, though confused, was worried about me. But what does she mean by that? I reach for my cheek and realise that I'm actually crying.

"I... uh, I'm okay. But what just happened? Was I the only one who just saw that?"

"No, Your Highness, I saw it too."

Apparently, Isgard shared my vision. Perhaps because she was part of it as well? Does that mean Siegward may have seen it too? Or was he too far away for that?

The others, however, are reacting to the new title Isgard used for me. And the dwarf apparently mumbles to himself. " So, it's true..."

"But if you are a princess of the Empire, where have you been all this time? The Great Decline was nearly four hundred years ago.

Just shaking my head. One of the many questions I don't have the answers to. While the presence of Victoria's body does not appear to be a coincidence. But how do I come to be involved?

The notification said I'd get part of my memory back. But aren't those the memories of Victoria? I had a life of my own before I woke up here as Dungeon Core and then as Victoria...

"I'm afraid I have no answers to your questions. I, or rather we seem to have lost most of our memory. Although I just had a short flashback. However, I believe Hephaestus is responsible for it. And I still have far too many unanswered questions."

"If I may ask, do you already have a place to stay? My wife and I can't offer you much. It would be our honour to invite you."

"We are staying at an inn at the moment, so don't worry about that. However, I would like to talk to you about the past. I need to know what happened after the Great Decline. I may have to adjust my plans for the future.

"Then please follow us to our house. Since we no longer have a priest in this town, this may not be the best place to talk about such things."

"Has something happened? How can a temple have no priest?"

"Not really, but our priest was called back. Maybe because we're the only two believers in town. However, this altar is no longer maintained by anyone. Which is why my wife and I come here every day now."

And as we leave the room, a rather excited priest awaits us.

65