020 Ready for the way home
1.8k 10 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the evening, I noticed another limitation. I wanted to push the tunnel that connects the cave with the future settlement further. However, after a short time, I could not absorb any more stones.

Apparently, the size of the dungeon inventory is limited. And currently, there are 499 cubic meters of stone in it. I guess the limit is 500 m³ and the missing cubic meter is my accumulated biomass.

That sounds like an impressive amount. But if you convert this to the Bordertown wall, it would be just a section of the wall of about 30 meters.

To empty the inventory, I started making limestone bricks and stacking them in front of the cave. With a size of 50x15x20cm, they already weigh 39kg. But they can still be transported by hand if necessary. And to make them easier to grip, I made two recesses on the long sides for the fingers.

I could also make smaller bricks, but that would cost me more mana. So, my future masons will have to cope with that. After all, this way, I have another building material besides wood at my disposal.

The next morning, I was of course as sleepy as before. And I am glad that we will be home soon. At least I will not be so exhausted anymore. But I wonder if I will be bound to the dungeon forever. On the other hand, I should be glad to be able to leave it at all.

And the first thing we do in the morning is going to the market. Well, it's actually late in the morning, but what should I do about my tiredness? Together with Isgard, I'll buy some supplies for the return journey and spend seven silver coins for it.

Then we stroll around the market in search of other useful odds and ends. But even after an hour, we haven't found anything that will appeal to us. Or should I say, we couldn't decide on anything?

Since we have practically nothing, almost everything here is useful for us. And even if the equivalent of three months' wages carries with it, the money wouldn't last long if we went shopping without a plan.

Lastly, we found two travel coats in our size. Each of them was worth 12 silver coins. Or in other words, one gold and four silver coins in all. Suddenly ten gold coins for a Stone of Light was not even that much.

After a while, we decided we wouldn't buy anything here today. And headed for the two dwarves. Hopefully, they're already finished with their simple armour.

And indeed, when we arrive at their house, it seems as if they've only just finished. At least they were in the process of cleaning up. And they both looked pretty tired.

"I hope you didn't work all night because of us." With only candlelight, that wouldn't have been an easy task.

"Don't worry about us, Your Highness. I only wish we had been able to provide you with more.”

"It'll be fine, Ismar. Once you're done here, you can turn your attention to improving our weapons and armour."

The black-haired dwarf nods at my remark. "It will take us about two weeks to finish everything here. Fortunately, we don't have any big orders right now. Which reminds me, how are we supposed to find you anyway, Your Highness?

That's not even that long. When I think of the time, it takes to put together a full plate armour. On the other hand, there are probably not many people who can afford such armour.

"Contact merchant Lydia when you are ready. She will provide us with regular supplies in the future. A transport with a wagon and escort is probably best. Surely you must have some tools and such with you?"

"That is very good, Your Highness. I don't even want to think about how I'd transport the anvil without a wagon. Assuming there's no equipped smithy in the settlement yet?"

"You are correct in your assumption. At the moment, we lack everything. Which is why you should bring everything you need. If you can think of something you don't have, you can always ask Lydia to get it for you. Don't worry too much about the price."

Ismar seems a bit surprised by that statement. But he doesn't need to know how I'm financing this. All it takes is one little slip-up in a conversation. And I have attention from people I'd like to avoid.

Next, we will try the gambeson. This linen armour is very similar to a winter jacket. At least it is about the same thickness and probably keeps you just as warm.

The armour was in blue colour, which surprises me a bit. Apparently, the two of them made sure that it was not just the natural brown of the linen fabric. But they also had to have dyed fabric in stock.

The padded jackets reach almost to our knees and are closed by several rows of leather buckles. They are really quite warm. But it is bearable, and you get used to it.

During my service in my last life, I had already endured worse. For example, wearing a fireproof overall and a bullet-proof vest at 45 degrees in the shade. Only there was no shade around at all...

"So, what do you get for your work?"

He was clearly uncomfortable with that question. He probably just wanted to give us the armour. But isn't that what they do for a living? And once they get to the settlement, it'll be hard enough.

"Don't worry about that. As long as you live in town, you'll need the money. Just tell me how much two pieces of gambeson cost.

"In that case, they cost 15 pieces of eight each, Your Highness."

That wasn't so hard. So that brings us to another one and a half gold coins. With which we bid farewell to them.

Next, we'll head back to the inn for one last lunch with Chloe and Paula. Though I guess Paula's still not really happy with my decision to go back without them.

"Don't look at me like that. I'll see you in a few weeks at the latest. And if you still want to stay with me then, we'll talk about it again."

"Fine, we'll do as you say, Victoria. And Lydia really needs a guide to find her way to the village. But I do expect the sight of what I'm about to see there will surprise me."

I still don't understand why she's so determined to stay with me. Or is it me who's actually acting weird? I just shrug my shoulders.

"Don't worry about it. I already have some plans on how we're gonna start setting up. The only thing that was missing were the iron tools. I just hope Lydia can get the most important one together that quickly."

"It'll be fine. She's pretty good at her job. Though she's been having some misfortune of late. But you haven't asked anything out of the ordinary from her now."

Unfortunate? Why do I get the feeling that sooner or later I'm gonna get involved in this? I'd rather not ask. I already have enough problems of my own to worry about.

After dinner, I pay each of them a gold coin for their services and say goodbye. Next Isgard and I will make our way to the house of the merchant.

Once there, the attendant leads us to the same waiting room. And it doesn't take long before Lydia appears with a very pleased expression on her face.

"Your Highness. I was able to provide most of what you ordered. I trust you have the Stones of Light with you?"

I just reach into a bag and place the two stones on the table. And this time I have already prepared them.

Lydia simply puts them in her own pocket. And hands us a small bag with the change. I don't bother to count it. And then she indicates to us to follow her.

"I have already prepared the cart. And I was able to get all the tools you wanted. But especially the clothes will take some time. We will deliver them to you along with most of the grain. Since your cart cannot carry all of it.”

"This is more than I had hoped for. What I remembered is that we're going to need some mortar. So, if you have any spare room, feel free to take some with you."

"Certainly, Your Highness."

Next, we leave the building and head to the outskirts of the town. The houses here are nowhere near as good as the marketplace. But since it is a craftsmen's district, it is still acceptable.

The ox cart is not entirely new anymore, but still in good condition. Also, it was not as big as a cart that is pulled by two animals. But for our purposes, it is sufficient for the time being.

We say goodbye to Lydia here, and a worker shows us how to lead the ox. Which is much easier than what I had expected. And armed with a line and a rod we leave the city.

Since we are a little slower with the cart, we will probably be on the road for two and a half days. But since we leave at noon, we will only spend two nights outdoors anyway.

61