023 New plans
1.7k 14 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Last night I thought long and hard about my future plans. All night long, actually, even after my Avatar had been asleep for a long time.

And my realisation was, that I still think too much like a human. I have to think more like a dwarf. Or at least the way I believe dwarves think.

One is that dwarves are usually known to live in giant caves and underground cities. But there are two problems with that. First is that it would take a really long time to build such an underground city. Much longer at least than outdoors. While my small population would allow a slow expansion. This leads to the second problem. Food.

I don't know how people think that's gonna work. But grain does not grow in caves. So I need at least some presence on the surface to develop the surrounding farmland.

Anyway, it's all in line with my current plan. However, up to now, I was undecided in which order I should build everything.

For example, I thought about building half-timbered houses like in Bordertown. And there is a lot to be said for that. They are substantial houses. The value for money is good. And you can build them up pretty quickly.

But there's something that bothers me about them. I feel like I'm taking the easy way out. And when I think of dwarves, I think of go big or go home.

I mean, why would we build gigantic halls inside mountains when it would be much easier to build smaller halls? The answer is actually quite simple. It's a statement.

We are the best craftsmen in the known world. And most importantly, if I am to restore glory to our people. I must do something impressive.

Accordingly, I will build as much of the city of stone as possible. At present, I can create enough limestone bricks with my magic. After all, we are still few at the moment. And as soon as we use more bricks than I can produce, the stonemasons will have to take over.

While I cannot do everything myself with my magic in the long run. I still have to take advantage of what I get out of it.

The fact remains that we will build the temple first. Although, at first, I thought only a small altar. And then later the actual temple. But now we will start with the main building of the temple.

With the size, I have decided for 25x50 meters. Which is about twice as big as the temple in Bordertown. And later you can still build side aisles on it...

But I have a little problem with that. I have no idea about foundations for buildings. Okay, that's not entirely accurate. I know that for a modern house, you dig a hole with an excavator. Put a welded wire mesh in it and pour concrete all over it.

No problem. I don't have an excavator, though. No welded wire mesh. And no concrete. So I'm gonna do the same thing the medieval architects did before me. Guess.

And use magic to help. I'll have my people dig a big hole. 3 meters, or in other words, 2 dwarves deep. And when the ground seems stable enough, they'll fill it all up with limestone bricks.

That's where my magic comes in. I will use it to fuse the bricks together. I was thinking of using mortar. But it will take the trade caravan a while to get here. And they probably wouldn't have enough mortar for that either.

I could use my magic to help dig the hole. But right now I have a more important use for my mana. On the one hand, I will create 3 dwarves a day until further notice. I simply need more workers...

And on the other hand, I am still working on the tunnel from the cave we sleep in, to the construction site.

Also, once that's done, I'll expand the living quarters. Initially, the accommodations were only supposed to be temporary until the first houses were completed. But with my change of priorities, the whole thing should last longer.

And must be better equipped accordingly. The carpenters have now made some furniture out of wood, but that is by far not enough. Especially the fact that the beds are actually only furs lying on top of a stone bed is a pain.

I will probably finally have to instruct people to cut grass and dry it. That should solve the mattress problem...

"Your Highness."

Ah, finally, some distraction. But from the look on his face, it looks serious.

"What is it, Siegward?"

"The hunters detected a lot of smoke in the direction of the forest."

"A forest fire?"

That's not good. We're far enough from the forest, but we depend on it for wood and food. However, Siegward allayed my suspicions by shaking his head.

"No, the hunters think the fire is behind the forest. But it's too far away to be sure."

Hmm, if it's not a forest fire, there aren't many options left.

"What do you think, a village under attack?"

"That is one possibility, your highness."

I'm thinking about what to do next. I could just ignore it. After all, it's not my village. If it's even a village that's on fire. But that seems short-sighted. After all, the same thing could happen here later. I have to know at least what we're dealing with.

"Okay, gather all the hunters and loggers. We'll take a closer look."

However, Isgard does not appear to be entirely happy with my proposal.

"What do you mean with 'we', Your Highness?"

There it goes again. "I need to know what's going on, Isgard."

She just nods politely at my statement. "Exactly, which is why you are sending a scouting party to investigate the situation."

Since I'm a little annoyed, I guess I'm responding more aggressively than I'd like to be.

"I am no small child, Isgard. I know exactly how a scouting party works."

And with infinite patience, she replies. Like she's used to dealing with spoiled little princesses... which I think she really is.

"And what will you do if we're attacked. What are your weapons skills, Your Highness?"

I wanted to respond to that, but I couldn't. My gun skills are quite advanced. But I don't have an assault rifle at my disposal. My fencing skills are amateurish at best. Of course, it was enough to fend off four goblins. In a tunnel, with a party of five...

"Siegward, gather the hunters and loggers. And find out what's going on there. If necessary, provide help. But your own safety comes first."

"Yes, Your Highness!" Siegward salutes and turns around at once.

"I admit you are right, Isgard. But we will have to do something about this in the future. I cannot be left behind forever. Who would follow a princess who's always hiding in a cave?"

However, Isgard does not seem to agree. At least when she talks, she becomes quite passionate.

"Your life is far more important than your fighting prowess, Your Highness. You are the only one who can unite the remaining dwarves. And only under your leadership, can our race stand a chance for a future.

Once again, I cannot disagree. My life and my ability to create new dwarves are indeed invaluable. Actually, it's more like the resurrection of dwarves? I am pretty sure that all dwarves I have created so far are part of the original population of the capital.

"You're right. But I still have to learn how to fight properly. Even if only to defend myself in case of an emergency."

But this time, she makes a suggestion. At least I can distract myself in the meantime.

"If you want, I can teach you how to fight. What weapon did you have in mind?"

I don't think long before answering her.

"I thought about the sword first. It should be the best weapon for self-defence. You can carry it with you at all times, and it is more suitable for parrying than other one-handed weapons."

Apparently, I said the right thing, as Isgard nods to my statement.

"What you say is right. However, we should get you a real sword soon."

I do not truly understand that statement. The sword I took from the goblin is a real sword. It looks exactly as you would imagine a sword to be...

"What do you mean, Isgard. That's a perfectly normal arming sword, isn't it?"

She's just shaking her head at my declaration.

"If you were human, this would make a fine weapon. But as a dwarf, you must make use of your strength. Even if you are weaker than me, you should be no less than an average human male. Your Highness."

"What are you getting at? It would hardly be a two-handed sword. It would be too long and impractical to carry..."

"You're right, it's not the length I'm going for. It is the shape of the blade. A falchion shape would be best. About the same length, but twice the weight of what humans would use. Especially the front part of the blade is heavier. This makes it more like an axe, but still has the advantages of a sword when parrying."

l understand. As soon as our new blacksmith arrives, I want him to address this problem. But until then, this sword will have to suffice."

58