027 Nothing but trouble 2
1.6k 6 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
The final version of the cover is ready, and I have included a larger version in the first chapter.

Okay, so it's easy for stoneshapers to dig a tunnel. However, someone has to clear away all the debris that accumulates in the process. And even if I could order her to do it, I think Herta would be very displeased to do it herself.

I guess that's something the masons have to help out with. But even without testing it first, stoneshapers will prove to be very helpful. Which is why I'm creating another one right now with Create Live.

What happens next, however, was a bit unexpected. The entry for creating stoneshapers has disappeared from the list. Which confirmed a suspicion on my part. Not only are all created dwarves inhabitants of the old empire. But they also have the same skills they had back then.

Which is why both are limited, not only the total number but also the different professions that can be chosen. That doesn't matter much for now, but I will have to start training the people as they are needed.

"For the time being, I have no tasks for you. I'm sure you will find plenty of opportunities here to prove your skills. We'll take care of the rest tomorrow."

Herta makes a little bow and takes her leave. "Yes, Your Highness."

With the help of two stoneshapers, the tunnel should advance considerably faster. In the last nine days, I've covered a quarter of the distance. And if these two are at least as efficient as I am, we should be able to complete it in another nine days at the most. Whereby I assume that real earth mages should perform better than I do.

And while I was thinking about giving up the construction site, I decided against it. I can't change all my plans for every trivial issue. Granted, a horde of gnolls is no small thing, but still. It would call my decisions into question and undermine my authority.

Only the priorities are slightly altered. The most important thing now is to complete the tunnel. With a length of almost five kilometres, it provides sufficient distance between the two ends. No one besieging the entrance at the construction site would suspect an exit this far away.

And when that is completed, we will be dealing with grand halls and living areas. The construction site can be continued as usual by the remaining workers, they only have to take care of the accumulating rubble additionally.

But how do I cope with a possible attack of this magnitude? A wall would not be completed in time. And I wouldn't even have the people to man it sufficiently. However, once the tunnel is completed, I can fortify the entrance.

I can also use traps to make the way to a death zone, but I shouldn't get too obsessed with that. Much more important than just stopping the attack is to kill as many of them as possible. So I have to get them to attack the tunnel at full strength.

Traps can be useful to reduce their numbers. And maybe I can use a large trap pit right at the entrance to block their escape route additionally. But to attract them in large quantities, I have to offer them something to fight against.

There is no way around it, on the one hand, I have to arm and train my people. And on the other hand, I have to recruit real soldiers. And the right armament is crucial in this regard.

The width of the tunnel will be a great advantage. Since there are far fewer of us, we can avoid being overrun or surrounded. The best thing would be a shield wall with spears. And I think tower shields are best suited for that. With our smaller size, they offer us maximum protection, even though we currently lack armour. And the range of spears, especially in a closed formation, should make the line of defence more resilient.

If I can still manage to line up the hunters behind the spearmen as archers, that will be even better. I'll have to pay attention to how exactly I design the tunnels, but that should be feasible. If I have to, I can set up a gate inside with a wall and arrow slits.

But next, I will go to the carpenters, they have to know what to prepare for me.

When I find them, they are once again carving useful things out of wood. I think they are other kitchen utensils like plates, bowls and so on.

"I have a task for you both. Since we have to expect a possible attack, we need more equipment. So I want you to prepare five more bows, twenty tower shields and at least twenty spears."

I could make anything with magic, but the mana is better off elsewhere. Besides, I've got the carpenters anyway, so why not let them work?

The older of the two is running his fingers through his beard as he thinks about what he heard.

"Your Highness, the bows are no problem. But I need to know how long the spears and how high the shields should be."

A fair question and I know precisely who will answer it for me. So I turn to my permanent bodyguard, and I realise that I could have asked her for her opinion on the matter much sooner.

"Isgard, what do you think would be ideal?"

My question does not seem to have unsettled her. Either because it's easy for her to answer, or because she'd already thought about it herself.

"I think a length of two and a half metres for the shaft would be appropriate. Longer will probably be a hindrance if we fight inside the cave. Besides, it must be light enough to be still able to be wielded with one hand.

The shields should be one meter high, sixty centimetres wide and two centimetres thick. It must also be made of at least two layers of wood, more would be better. The grain must be arranged at right angles to each other. This way, it is more difficult to split the shield apart. Leather loops are used to carry the shield. One to put the arm through and one to grab the shield.

Actually, you should also glue the surface with linen, raw skin or leather. But that can wait until everything else is finished.

Which brings Isgard to the end of her list. Apparently, there is far more to it than I first thought. However, the main reason for this was that I wasn't concerned with the details. I could have totally handled it myself. No Really, I knew all that.

"Do we not need a shield boss? Our iron is limited, but it could probably be done."

"Not with this kind of handling, Your Highness. It offers a greater advantage on round shields, but that is not so with non-circular shields. And the actual purpose of having space for the hand and the handle is absent when leather straps are used."

Okay, I really didn't know that. But since our iron reserves are low, it's fine with me.

"Do you have any more questions?"

This time the carpenter must have gotten enough information because he's just shaking his head.

"No, Your Highness. That's all we need to know. We'll get right on it."

With that, I would have given the most important instructions for the time being. There's still one thing missing. Which is why I'm going to see Siegward, who's been doing whatever it is he does since he finished his report.

And apparently, it was something all soldiers do when they come back from a mission or exercise. To wash themselves and take care of their equipment.

"Siegward, I have an extra task for you. Actually, I have three tasks."

"Whatever it is, I will do my duty, Your Highness."

You don't have to suck up to me, I'm well aware of your loyalty.

"First, we need more information. You must order the hunters to keep a close eye on the area. "If you spot a scout, kill him if possible. If not, I need to know immediately.

If possible, I want you to recover the bodies of the gnolls you killed. You can use the ox cart for this purpose. But don't take any risks. The bodies would be useful, but they are not absolutely necessary.

And finally, you must train our people in combat. I've already instructed the carpenters to make spears and shields. But you are responsible for making sure that they can be used by someone. You can use the masons and loggers for that purpose.

The carpenters must first finish the equipment. And the two Stoneshapers are very important. If then they should stand in the back rows, or maybe use a bow and not go into close combat at all."

Isgard seems to like the idea because she has something to say about it too.

"I think the bow is an excellent idea. It would be best if you practised it as well. You should also avoid close combat, Your Highness. You should still learn to defend yourself with a sword, but that seems to be secondary."

Siegward seems to agree with the whole thing, even if there are only a grumble and a nod. If there's nothing to say, he sticks to his quiet way.

"I'll try to make room for this in the near future. But there is far too much to do. And it didn't get any better with the arrival of the gnoll horde."

59