B2 — 16. Baxter
974 6 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV :   Our Jewel, Iris (The Queen ... is PISSED)

Recap:  Iris was sent to see what the leader of the Jukal was like atop the frozen peaks of the colossal mountain range to their north, and she discovered mysteries all along its slopes, but her main objective was the Supreme Molifoph.

It was when she found two, fully grown, Queen Thélméthra that Iris felt a tremor of fear in her hearts that she'd only experienced twice in her entire life.  Her original strength had been cut by returning under her Empress with the possibility of growing vastly more powerful in the long-run under Elinor's System.

However, she was not confident in dealing with two Queens, and if they were from a World Conquest breed.  It shouldn't be a problem to investigate, though; after all, Thélméthra do not attack outside of the territory.  She was simply inquiring about their purpose on her planet.

That was ... until they attacked her!  The MOST insulted Iris had ever felt in her ENTIRE, nearly 300 years of living!  She defended herself, finding their attacks unusual for Thélméthra combat and shockingly weak ... it was as if they were playing with her ... her?!

Then ... it bloomed like a slap in her face ... she was a fool ... they had made her a fool.  It was unacceptable.  Unimaginable.  Impersonating a Thélméthra Queen ... it was death, instant, and without hesitation ... yet, they had a protector, and for once in her life ... Iris debated acting on emotion ... rage.

However ... she was a Queen, and the action would be illogical ... but she would have her time.  With the insect's offer, she took the corpse of the bloated bird she'd come for and moved to leave ... but she would not be gone long.

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

KTP, Tom Louis, Nicholas Pankratz, Thomas, Shadowfax1333, KazukiNero, M. G. Porombka, and my other Patrons!


Iris dragged the body of the Molifoph back through the icy tunnels, scanning for possible threats that might be hiding in the shadows.  The three enemies behind her had yet to make a move because the mantis-type bug had restrained the others, stopping them from moving, likely waiting for her to leave the cave.

The moment the creature offered her the deal of a mutual retreat, Iris had decided on her next move; reaching the mouth of the system, she halted to scan the barren landscape.  One issue gave her pause, the massive alien device over the volcano’s crater.  The constant humming that disrupted the atmosphere scattered several of her senses; this area was not a good place to conduct a battle.

Black stone crags jutted out of the powder white, and the hardened glacial blocks occasionally released the same light blue glow found within the cavern, but no life was present.  Still, she waited, manipulating thread around the field to extract more information, dark red irises scanning for anything that could signal a trap.

An unsettling sensation ran through her human bones; it could have been her human traits that told her there was something out there that wasn’t seen, but she normally erred on the side of caution.

The creatures below were at the stage where an army like them could have given the Quen’Talrat a decent fight.  Of course, they weren’t close to the strength to draw the White God or her attention, had Iris been at her living strength.

Her gaze shifted to the two severed legs that the mantis had cut; the bleeding was stopped almost instantly with thread, and she was no fool to leave behind pieces of her body to be used in similar ways the Thélméthra utilized the dead.  The two pieces were wrapped up with the Molifoph’s body.

The scent of wet blackwood had touched the plateau, blown along with the sharp, high-altitude winds.  It was a very familiar smell; however, Iris had her misgivings about its source.

Scanning the plateau one last time, she took to the air, transforming into the bird to carry the items into the blizzard below, and increased her Mental Shielding I Skill from level 5 to level 10; this was the reason she killed everything unnecessary while scouting, to heighten her ability to adapt.

Iris only went down a few hundred meters, coming to a stop at an overhanging slope.  Morphing to her human form, she used her flight’s momentum to land upside down, crafting a temporary cache location for her to leave the Molifoph.  She wasn’t finished with the insects.

Activating all of her cloaking skills while using her natural instincts as a Thélméthra, Iris crept back to the surface, climbing up the stone and ice to exit the blizzard.  She only used hardened surfaces to move, leaving no trace of her passing with silent leaps.

The wind and ice tried to move her long silky hair, but she kept them in place; she’d generated her bra and shorts out of habit.  Iris skulked behind a jagged enclave within the glacier wall, thirty meters outside the entrance of the tunnel system, analyzing all the available information within.

Only the sound of the wind, humming artifact, and cracking ice could be heard around the plateau, but she could sense the three’s agitation inside.  The mantis seemed to be checking on the slime and female mantis that could have been related by the scent they shared.

Iris felt nothing when the female removed parts of her damaged exoskeleton, seemingly caused by her constriction.  There appeared to be some internal damage she’d sustained, but it didn’t seem life-threatening.

The shrill sounds they made wouldn’t have been heard by normal human ears, but Iris analyzed them, searching for patterns to match actions.  Given time, she’d be able to tell basic signals.

Her full lips creased upon hearing the older mantis throw a heavy blow at the wall of ice behind the throne, but little damage was done from the strike.  A few more attempts with some back and forth discussion between them, and they began to leave.

Something of value might lie beyond that wall, and there is no damage to the rest of the room produced any similar results.  Leave it to Ke’Thra’Ma to have a hidden vault high in the mountains; he was a rather clever ape.  It is away from his precious big city, which begs the question, why store it here?  Could it be the tool by which many of these devices are controlled?  Perhaps … Tiffany would likely be interested.

She’d seen many of the Quen’Talrat technology before, destroyed many in the past that were used to try and kill her family.  Ke’Thra’Ma had been in the process of developing something on this mountain that was interrupted by the allied race’s assault and his premature death by her trap.

There was little doubt in her mind that the Ke would have been able to repel all eight combined races had she not interfered; that was how much she respected the white specimen that would have been her final prize that would craft her fourth daughter.  Alas, the plan had been thwarted by her own daughters’ worry, something she partially blamed herself for, with their upbringing.  It had been her miscalculation and unnatural affection toward each of her children that caused them to develop in such a manner.

Serris, the young female mantis, used the back of her lower-left bladed arm to scratch her exposed chest with apparent agitation, revealed after Iris’ compression had damaged it.  Lexi was hugging her gelatinous body with a downward tilt to her exaggerated mouth, pink globes for eyes staring at the older mantis.

Iris determined that she could escape from a traditional wrap but couldn’t detach specific parts of her form, which is why hyper-sticky silk had kept her in place.

As expected, the group gave no indication of knowing Iris hid nearby, but what did cause her caution to rise was the bird-like creature that stepped out of sparkling light to meet them, thirty meters away from the cave entrance.  Her senses hadn’t been wrong, something out of the ordinary was lurking around, but it kept an acceptable distance to remain hardly noticeable with the artifact’s pulse.

The abnormality was seven feet tall at its large backward-curved rams horns and almost seemed to be wearing an excessively baggy robe-like coat of feathers, something humans might enjoy wearing.  A thick mane of dark wool-like tufts bunched around his head, upper-back, and upper-chest, the sleek feathers covering the rest of its body were free of the woolish fluff.

The down coat hood framed a slim, bone husk of a raven’s skull; the downward slanted break with a rigid base combined with the lower jaw’s small upward curve gave it a smirking appearance.  Nothing could be seen from the black cavities where its nostrils and eyes should have been.

Its tail was stiff, fern-like feathers that appeared to flatten for flight or bunch while walking.  It certainly looked like it could regain warmth with its fluff, but she could tell there were dense muscles hidden beneath.

Its arms were unlike any creature Iris had come across; the lush, smooth wool-like feathers ended with four claws of various lengths, with the index being the longest at nearly a foot and a half while the smallest was the thumb next to it at eight inches.  It’s tiny, two legs were almost laughable compared to its massive bulk, ending in two talons with a back claw for stabilization.

The final piece of the creature was the tattered burgundy sash it had tightened around the left side of his body, ending near the thick mass of tuft covered legs before ending in the tiny stick-like feet.

Iris began setting silk traps beneath the snow using her black gradient-white locks, snaking through the powder to be used when needed.  Either by design or by chance, most of the area surrounding the new creature was free from cover, and unlike Violet, she hadn’t obtained a skill to mask or camouflage her silk.  

The bird stepped forward with surprising elegance to meet the two insects and slime.  Not a word was spoken as the three bowed their heads, and the bird held out its hand, hovering between each of their heads before curling slightly and retreating to its side.

Its beak opened, releasing a puff of hot steam and low hiss.  The three nodded as the creature stepped back, extending its left arm; it transformed into a bat-like wing, showing three bony protrusions near the tips, claws elongating to keep the skin tight, and its thumb remained the same, showing the thick, muscular arm that was hidden by the tuft on the outside.

With a single, powerful sweep of the wing, a large whirlwind was kicked up to reveal gems fixated inside the glacier, buried feet below, and producing the glow in the cavern system below.

Its arm returned to normal as they began spreading out to study the strange pattern in the ice.  Nothing was passed between them, and Iris figured they were communicating telepathically; the group was obviously intelligent by how they reacted.

After two more minutes of study, the bird-bat motioned for the three to take their leave, pointing to the opposite side of the mountain.  Iris would have followed, but this creature had spiked her interest.

Serris and Lexi were insignificant, marked for death for their folly, but of little importance otherwise.  The older mantis had some decent movement and strength, yet it was of no real threat under any normal circumstance.  However, this creature was something more, and Iris knew this was the mastermind behind the others’ actions.  So, she stayed, waiting for its next move.

The creature watched them go before holding his claws behind his back, turning to study the gems, cave, artifact, and then the general landscape.  Iris’ vision narrowed as he suddenly spoke in the high Thélméthra language, voice a sophisticated masculine tone with a hidden lilt.  “Oh, I suspect we have ourselves a hidden ear.  Isn’t that right, my dear Iris?”

Numerous possibilities filed through her mind in quick succession, developing many strategies to handle him if needed, but the Empress wasn’t against negotiations or alliances if it would aid her, and Iris had to keep on her guard with this exchange.

Testing the creature’s perception, she exited cover, keeping her skills active while slowly reducing her natural stealth-like movements.  It didn’t take long for the bird to pick up some identifier that brought his beak in her direction.

“Ah, over here, I assume … testing the mist?  My, you are a fascinating specimen … the most intriguing of this pitiful planet as of yet, I’m afraid,” he sighed with disappointment.  “Although … these artifacts do tickle my beak.”

He wasn’t using his mouth to speak, and Iris kept her distance.  “To be able to articulate an advanced form of Thélméthra communication is … unexpected.  I assume you used Serris’ invasion to my mind to learn it?”

“Ho-hoh,” the bird chuckled.  “Quite astute.  Indeed, and the fact I cannot even identify your cerebral signature from this distance means you have some means to increase your mental shielding … and though it may not be my particular specialty within The Covenant, I exceed the fodder.”

Iris shifted positions, raising her stealth to continue testing the creature’s perception, stopping at different points to speak.  His ability to catch her calculated mistakes was gradually improving, but Iris expected it; he was not improving but hiding his notice.  With every catch, she was discovering his proper incisive field.

“You are a part of a collective?”

“Mmh … Thélméthra … is that what you call yourself?  A rather … refined tone to it.  Yes, I like that name.  Hmm … yes, I am more than willing to have a more … amenable conversation, should you be inclined.  What say you, Iris?”

“What causes you to hold the assumption you are at a fitting status to convene with me?  The arrogance in not first introducing yourself is palpable.”

With closer proximity, and her senses on high alert, she recognized hidden items around her; the wet blackwood scent came from those objects.

The bird seemed to have sprinkled himself with the essence of the blackwood sap to better hide, which was a commendable tactic; however, it was difficult to fool a Thélméthra’s dissection of the elements surrounding them.  She’d identified his personal odor, and it was sweet to her taste buds.  He’d make a good meal for offspring.

“Oh, where are my manners.  Indeed!”  He chortled.  “A name you could identify me with is … ah, Baxter is acceptable.  Within your tongue … what would you call me?  Heh, I suppose the world would be a Baraayas.  I come from another world through the extravagant wonders of the crystals with my compatriots, seeking thrill and adventure!”

“I see … do you conquer those planets?”  Iris asked, finding the direction much more enjoyable with a similar background.

“Conquer?  Mmh, it really depends on the place, to be honest.”  He mused, sounding a bit disappointed at her lack of enthusiasm for the show.  “Such a task doesn’t normally suit my particular palette; I’m more interested in the art of the production!  I must ask, though … I would be sorely disappointed if you did serve that pathetic bird you hauled off.”

“I would never serve such a weak creature,” Iris responded, tone darkening.

“Oh, wonderful!  I was just a little shocked by the bits of information I was told.  Might I ask what reason you took it … food, perhaps?”

“I have my reasons.”

“Ho-hoh, how mysterious … I love it!  This game of hiding and seeking is most thrilling!  I have not come across such precious beauty, such as yourself in many worlds.  I see … you’ve discovered some of my hidden prizes, as well … delightful!”

His four clawed hands tightened around his back, creasing his feathers.  “I have this unusual tingling in my chest I have rarely felt … perhaps … am I in love?”

“We are incompatible.”

“So practical!  My darling, love transcends the biological, devours the impossible, and crushes the obstacle!  I can picture the dazzling glorious quasar … a piece of art to defy space and time!  Hehe, yes … I can see you standing within The Covenant.”

“Similar to one of those pathetic insects?”  Iris asked with a condemning tone.

“Oh, Rogaltha, no, no, my dear!  You are worth far more … immeasurably greater than those simple workmen … you remind me of a ruler I once knew.  Deadly, lovely, calculating, efficient, elegant … no, you would qualify as an equal within The Covenant!  I am sure and more than willing to stake my own status on bringing forward this sponsorship to prove my dedication to my vision.”

Ignoring the offer, Iris turned the conversation in another direction, directing the inquiry to his work.  “When did your Covenant enter this world, and what business do you have with the Quen’Talrat’s artifacts?”

“Mmh … ho-hoh, you know more about these devices … their creators?”  Baxter asked, tone brightening further.  “I must say, the craftsmanship and delivery are quite the imposing spectacle … artwork of a seemingly dead race of large creatures.”  He held up his hand toward the monolith above the volcano, fingers slowly closing into a fist with his passionate voice.

“I wish to understand their message … the desire hidden within the work to grasp the heart of this culture.  I see will, I see fire, I see domination … a glorious play of violence and conquest that alights the mind with concupiscence.

“There are many structures that we have discovered within the valley below this sierra with weak creatures seeking to live within the confines of those ruined fortresses—a plain of few resources on the vast landscape of rolling hills.  We have only had fifty-three days to explore some of this land and have found surprisingly little civilization … only ruin.  What is the tale, my lovely Iris?”

“Perhaps, I will tell you in time.”

“Hehe, quite the tease, my hidden ruler.”

Iris hadn’t missed the possessive traits he’d used thus far.

“How many would be in The Covenant if I were to join?”

“Mmh … a good question.  If you were to join, we would make fifteen.  I could show you wonders from worlds past … civilizations long since in ruin by their hubris!”

She paused again, now satisfied with Baxter’s perceptive range, and so she moved to the next phase, revealing herself in her Thélméthra form.  “I am sure you could.”

“My … you are a beauty to finally behold with my own sight,” Baxter gasped, presenting a proper bow that Iris had seen some of the humans perform to the Empress.  “The ruby radiance … sleek glistening shell … elegant shape and illustrious markings.”

“I must disappoint you, Baxter.  I serve an Empress and will not leave her side.  Although, perhaps she is willing to listen to your proposal of this Covenant.”

Baxter’s head tilted to the side.  “Serve an Empress … you?  I am afraid that will not do … something so … regal should never be confined … no, no, you should be free to make art!”

It was as Iris expected.  Daxter’s body lowered, small talons digging into the ice as his voice became crazed.  “Observe how gloriously we may shine!”  He launched forward, creating a small shockwave with his acceleration.

Iris’s hidden threads erupted around the landscape, wrapping around his body; the lines pulled tight, biting into the ice and stone as his kinetic force dug the silk into the elements at his missile-like launch.

She’d returned to her human shape as her thread began to slow his advance to hold him in the area, but space began to quiver around him before compressing; he vanished with a loud caw.  An atmospheric disturbance to her left caught Iris’ attention.

Iris prepared to activate more thread traps she’d laid around that site but paused, hair rising across her human body as hundreds of expanding areas fed to her senses.  His cry had triggered a massive chain event.

Snatching control of all her silk, she whipped it into a cyclone; hundreds of thousands of web lines roared into action as concussive bombs of purple and gray flames exploded across the entire plateau with Baxter’s laughter.

“This combination!  This is art!”

Her silk tornado created a colossal atmospheric course correction, carrying the dual-colored flames into the heavens, and once the two colors touched high above, combusted again, generating a supernova; she was far outside of the dissipating heat, but the shockwave was absorbed by her wall of silk.

Once clear of the blast, she created sharp microbursts of force inside her silk, causing it to fire in all directions, peppering the icy plateau with the hundreds of thousands of spears as she created her domain; her web filled the whole area, more than a mile across in all directions.

Baxter was thirty meters away, standing in the web’s most open area, giving him little breathing room, yet not one strand stuck to his feathers.  “Haha!  What wonder!  What spectacular ability!  Yes, yes!”

As Iris expected, space warped around him as she constricted her web in the area, forming it around the bird.  Few creatures could escape Silk Territory I.  However, Baxter seemed to be one of those, which meant her next move was to feed poison into her web, and then the slightest nick would end his life.  

However, Baxter had different plans.

Appearing at the edge of her territory, Baxter clapped enthusiastically.  “Beautiful!  Excellent!  Brilliant!  Elegant!  I cannot even express whereby how august this opening performance was, my dear Iris!  Splendid!  The next act must be even grander!  Will the hero free his Queen in the following episode from the clutches of her Empress?  Until then, I bid thee adieu, my beautiful ruler!”

Iris sent her poisonous thread to pierce him, but he was swallowed by the spatial distortion by the time it reached.  Two more warps took him further away, and he’d escaped.  Iris couldn’t deny it, he was indeed a worthy opponent, and she had failed.

She glanced around at the massive use of energy she’d just expended in such a short match.  Baxter was a flashy combatant, of that there was no doubt, which meant he needed time to prepare his performance.  In that, they were very similar.  However, from what she’d learned, the blackbird would have more tricks up his sleeve next time, and the same tricks would not work on either of them.  She needed to expand her repertoire.

A rare feeling touched Iris’ chest, disappointment.  She plucked one of her threads, causing a reverberation to carry along its length and tickle her mind.

I failed the Empress … he just declared war against Elinor … to claim me for himself.  What a disaster.  I comprehended his possessive tendencies yet didn’t guide the conversation in the proper direction.

“Hmm…”

The best option will be to convey the danger I have brought against the Empire and consult with the others.  Only Edmon or I can contend with Baxter, and if he has one of his thirteen fellows to assist him, it might prove difficult to even escape, depending on their individual strength.

Releasing Silk Territory, the web collapsed.  She swiftly extracted the poison to guard against the possibility of a third party using her own potent toxins against the Empire and transforming into her perfected Jukal form to return to the capital as quickly as possible.  Night had long fallen.

 

* * *

 

Baxter hummed a song he’d learned on the Kul’duri’s planet; after narrowly escaping his lovely Queen’s dangerously poetic grasp, he’d spread his wings to take to the sky.  He needed space to work, and his mind was on fire with the drama unfolding with dazzling splendor.

Yet, the scene was suddenly molding, shifting with strong high-winds that carried him further into the heavens to see the expansive land below.  He’d been to many planets, but it had been rare to find a world of such size.  By the tilt of the sea, he could estimate the scope, and it boggled his experience.

This had been a wondrous yet tragic day for him.  He’d discovered the most majestic creature and been crushed with the horror of her captivity.  The pure elation and deviation were crushing his two hearts.

“Hoh-ho-ho!  Just you wait, my lovely Queen!”  He sang, sweeping side to side while slowly descending to his comrades' hidden camp, masked within the protective cover of a cloud.  “Your freedom is assured; by the play has already been written!  Oh, my sweet ... and if one cannot be freed … Oblivion is the final act, but oh … the symphony … the ball … none avoid the rapturous Waltz of Felicity!”


Maps:

Clan Territory Markers

Unmarked Map

SME's Request:

I hope you've been enjoying the free entertainment!  The internet is divided into different echo-chambers; you have a specific group that only hovers around specific sites/content.  So, by recommending my serials to others, you give it more exposure to different echo-chambers and help it grow.  Ratings are excellent, Trending is terrific, but it only will appeal to a specific echo-chamber.  If you like my content, then please share it in your own unique way.

Thank you!  ^_^7

Normal Plugs:

Discord Link - Growing Community =D

View and help contribute to the Wiki

Support me on Patreon and get up to:

+ 5 Chapters ahead in A Tail's Misfortune

+ 11 Chapters in The Oscillation

+ 10 Chapters in Undying Empire

+ 10 Chapters in PokéSync (Pokemon Fanfic)

+ Access to Polls

+ All my commissioned artwork is up for free on my Patreon!

42