B2 — 33. An Ally Forged
1k 17 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV :

1.  Elinor (How will her time with the High Ruler end?)

Recap: Elinor went in bad-cop to get her angel and ... might have had Edmon create a massive ice burg to just ... you know, show who's boss!  Empress Elinor, of course!  Freakin' Nalvean pirates think they're hot stuff?  Here's a big ice cube to chill you off!

Now, Elinor has her Seraph.  Will everything go as planned?  Mmh ... Don't jinx it!!!!  Let's see what happens next!

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

Darth Mole, Radiant, DeMorr, PorkTenderloin, Vinicius Moreira, Richard Doss, Leo Viarouge, and my other Patrons!


Elinor glanced around the frozen ship after confirming Sari’aél was there; she could see her own breath while studying the frosted-over environment.

The shattered remains of several pirates drew her notice, but one was like an ice statue, completely intact.  However, her butterflies confirmed he was dead; living creatures couldn't survive being utterly frozen, having their liquid and organs fractured and expanded—she hadn’t expected that outcome since she’d seen so many movies that used ice to subdue people.

Hollywood would have you believe someone could be frozen and chipped out without an issue, but that was far from the case given what Edmon had demonstrated.

Everywhere she looked, goods were thrown around, now frosted over and stuck in place; only a few large objects were tied down to prevent movement while the ship was in motion, and thankfully, one of those such items was Sari’aél.

Excellent work, Edmon … Where is Lukuroha’s son?

“Below deck.  I created an exception for the hostages; the pirates seem to have taken several from various vessels.”

Elinor nodded.  Take them to the ship.  Her gaze returned to the perfect form of the Seraph.  Sari’aél’s body will not be left alone until she is brought back to life.  Return to guard her after saving the prisoners.

“As you command.”

She held her hands behind her back, looking into the defiant face of the angel, Violet beside her as Edmon went to fulfill her order.  A shiver ran down Elinor’s frame but not from the chill of the cold.

Does Demon know how important Sari’aél is?  Perhaps not if the Searing Concord brought her frozen corpse back from the crystal after their defeat.  He knows she’s strong, but not much else … If he could feel the power her spirit holds, he would have tried harder to keep her away from me.  She’s just what I need.

Edmon brought the Nalvean children out of the 3rd level; they stared at her in confusion and fright, the Doom Guard ushering them forward.  Elinor caught her cold reflection in the ice-covered wooden walls of the ship, and for the first time, she didn’t see the girl she had been—there was a monster that had reared its head within her, and she’d embraced it to survive.

When Edmon returned, he let her know that Jumbi’s crew was preparing the hold for  the treasures while stabilizing the ship with the iceberg’s movements.  The Nalvean Naval vessel that was sinking had already been lost, and the soldiers were getting on the few lifeboats they had on board.

The distress call brought a Seaweaver Naval First Response unit in the area to their location, and Baltoma explained to the Lieutenant Commander what happened; his boy had been taken below deck on Jumbi’s ship to warm up and rest with the rest of the children.

Elinor ignored most of what the Naval officers did, remaining in the frigid environment Edmon had created.  Artificial Body would be destroyed given time, and her limbs would slowly become stiff over a few hours, but she wouldn’t be in this icebox that long.

Edmon directed her to the captain’s quarters on the pirate’s vessel where he’d brought most of the intact white-scaled Nalveans.  Overall, there were eighteen that she could resurrect on the ship and twelve more that would need to be returned as spirits; however, they weren’t worth the energy to be brought back as Intelligent Undead.

Her attention was pulled to a table filled with maps, showing the travel path of most merchanting boats, Navy patrol routes, and a ledger of goods each would be transporting.

Interesting … It can’t be a coincidence that Sari’aél was taken and then attacked.  These plans are far too thorough for a last-minute job.  Unless someone in a top position gave them these records, but no … no, Demon just had foreknowledge of their pillaging course and used it to his advantage.

Elinor took a moment to study the map, comparing it to what she had already seen from Ke’Thra’Ma’s maps.  The Nalvean Empire certainly was massive, and she could understand why Lukuroha’s City-State of Mirelitel was seen to have the least influence; Shi’Shuka and the Ri’bot Territory had more land than her.  It bordered the Drék'uléph Republic, too, marking it as a significant defensive buffer for Shi’Shuka, which was probably its saving merits.

Turning around to glare at the ice-encased captain, she asked for a Skill to speak to the spirits of the deceased, gaining Ensnare Spirit I.  It would save her the issue of having them join the daily cost of maintaining her army, and foil many of Demon’s suicide devices while skirting some of the problems she’d discovered.

The Skill wasn’t bonding the spirit to her Nexus but forcing them back for a limited time to do her bidding.  It only allowed her to imprison Poor and Common-Grade units; luckily, they all fell within that category.  If they were Rare-Grade, then she’d consider raising them, but she had to be selective, especially when she needed to raise another Transcendent Unit, seeing as they functioned under an entirely different set of parameters.

Calling forth his spirit, she watched him return with emotionless eyes; the two butterflies required to speak to him hovered around the figure, pulling him back from the void to face her.

He looked confused upon separating from his body, eyes widening.  “I … am alive?”

Not precisely, Elinor mused.  You will answer my questions.

“Hah, as if I … I … yes, Empress?”  He mumbled in shock.  “Why can’t I refuse?”

Elinor’s small smile drew the creature’s gaze.  It’s simple.  You’re too weak to refuse me.  Now, tell me where you obtained these maps.

“Lucicara … a broker that I use to scout potential targets.”

Who do you work for?

“... I am a freelancer that … that primarily accepts jobs from the Judicus Cartel.”

Oh?  Elinor hummed.  Do these Cartel Lords rule the Judicus Ilse?

His nose began to twitch with anger.  “Y-Yes.”

Mhm, and does Lucicara work with the Nalvean Empire or these Cartel Lords?

“Snapping sharp-fish,” he growled, trying to fight her influence without luck.  “... No, she … she works independently.”

Elinor’s focus shifted to the maps, moving them aside to examine anything else of importance, but nothing stood out.  “W-What … are you?  To create such a massive block of ice under our ship?”

She ignored the question, asking her own.  Is there anything you can tell me about the Cartels’ activities in moving against the Nalvean Empire?

“... No.”

Is there anything you consider would be important information for me to know if I have an invested interest in the Nalvean Empire?

“... I only seek to gain profit by stealing from my northern brethren.  The Nalvean Empire and Judicus Cartel have a surface-level agreement to stay neutral, but they seek the Empire’s riches whenever possible … Toadlicker … Why can’t I refuse?!”  He snapped.  “I am…”

Dead, Elinor replied, dismissing his spirit as if fog.

Releasing a low sigh, she decided she could use the muscle on a whim and resurrected all five Common and thirteen Poor-Grade pirates as Unintelligent Undead.  Her green flames consumed the ice, scales, and organs to return them as skeletal minions; Sari’aél returning to wherever she’d come from had given her the time to rebuild a small portion of her Death Pool.

She looked between each of her new soldiers with satisfaction; Unintelligent Undead were so weak compared to their Intelligent counterparts, and while they worked on gathering up the essential documents, she pondered on the variance.  She was slowly learning more about her Undead System, which had its benefits and failings.

One particular facet that had recently drawn her interest was what the Grades indicated.  There was a general grade they would be given if she was less specific about what she wanted to raise them for, which was why the humans she’d raised were able to become so much more than they would have had she simply brought them back as they had been.

The captain of this pirate crew was close to meeting the criteria of an Uncommon-Grade Combat Unit.  However, that didn’t mean he would be anywhere close to Quin’s power.  Grades dealt with potential and growth, which could correlate with their living strength, but it broke down further into various other categories.

In the end, higher Grade meant a more powerful unit, but there was leniency in that potential depending on how she raised them; the System itself seemed to be more heavy-handed in its preset value of resurrecting the dead and granting them abilities.

She was starting to realize that Grades were an indicator of power and potential, but that didn’t mean they were strong in life; just as the vastly powerful creatures would be downgraded, in Sari’aél’s case significantly to a minute fraction of her original strength, so too could units gain power from qualifying for specific criteria.

Some bonuses could be granted to the raised creature if they were downgraded, utilizing their living strength and potential in other areas.

The Thélméthra family was an excellent example of that in practice; Iris gained the ability to shapeshift, and to a lesser degree, her daughters did, as well.

Elinor couldn’t even imagine what her Seraph would obtain.  It was something she’d have to experiment with and build her knowledge on when she had time, but her powers were still such a mystery to her.  Edmon and Tiffany may have been given a general understanding of the basics to guide her, but the finer details were still unknown.

One such enigma that interested her was the possibility of Grades increasing, but that was where her internal wandering ended as Edmon interrupted her thoughts.

… Can Camellia push past her Epic-Grade to rival her younger sisters?  … No answer, System?  You’re so fickle…

“Empress, the ship is ready to be loaded.”

… Good.  I’ll be heading back down; bring Sari’aél.

Elinor exited the cabin with Violet and her horde of minions, one carrying the maps.  Edmon was already untethering Sari’aél’s body; the amber-like substance encasing her frame shimmered with the reflected light that the ice fed into the hull of the ship.

Not too much longer.

Jumbi, the Navy, and Baltoma stiffened upon seeing the twenty of them making their way down the icy path Edmon had created.

“E-Empress?”  Jumbi mumbled as he helped her back onto the deck, eyeing the Undead.

“These are lifeless shells for work,” she replied before turning to Baltoma, standing nearby.  “Think of them as mindless workhorses … I will put them under your control to get whatever item is important to you to keep close.”

He was surprisingly compliant and adapted to the situation, motioning for them to follow him up.  However, Elinor’s next words made him pause.

“Also, Baltoma, there is an urgent matter I must attend to back in my own nation; be quick.”

He bowed and had some of the crew join him as they scurried back up the pathway to get his items; only the skeletal form of the pirate captain stayed behind, clutching the maps in his bony claws.

Elinor returned to her throne after seeing Sari’aél tucked safely below; Edmon remained by the statue’s side.  She wasn’t going to take any chances.

The Nalveans that glanced her way wore expressions of awe and mild fear, vision turning to admire the massive iceberg that Edmon had generated.  There was no hostility; Edmon’s show had the exact effect she wanted.

She watched the long procession of Undead and Nalveans handing down items to be stored in the large opening in the deck to allow cargo to be put below.  Baltoma only brought several chests from the broken vessel above, allowing the rest to be sorted and brought back to Shi’Shuka by the Navy.

No one dared approach her after everything they’d seen, and Elinor gave Jumbi control over the undead pirates to help prepare their return trip.  She could hear the whispers, but Balotma’s explanation about her powers and status swiftly spread through the ranks, which gave her peace.

The ship pulled away from the iceberg; it had taken them more than an hour to get everything in order after lining the vessel up to the icy dock Edmon had created.

Baltoma was about to go below to be with his son before pausing as she told one of the undead pirates to direct his attention her way.  He weaved across the deck of busy crewmen to reach her.

“... Yes, Empress?”

Elinor smiled at him, motioning at a silken chair that she’d had Violet craft while everyone’s gaze was averted.  “I have a few things to discuss with you.”

“Of course,” he mumbled, much less proud and arrogant than when she’d first met him.  “I sincerely offer my thanks for the rescue of my son.”

She nodded.  “You know I had my own interests … And you fulfilled your end of the bargain.”

His focus moved to one of the undead pirates as he ran out of the lower deck with a scroll in his hands, the document linking him to the assassination attempt on her life.  The skeletal figure handed it to Baltoma, and he hesitantly took it, unfolding the content with a grimace before ripping it apart and throwing it to the sea.

Elinor observed him with a curious gaze as he took a deep breath, slowly releasing it with closed eyes.  “Did you believe I would not hold up my end of the bargain?”

Baltoma released a low chuckle, caution in his eyes.  “I do not know you, Empress Elinor, and to be honest, I’m fearful of what our Empire’s association to you might bring in the future.  That being said, I will not deny you are a powerful ally and a disastrous foe.  I cannot tell why you are so fixated on a simple work of art, but I will not question it.”

“Wise,” Elinor chuckled, shifting her legs the opposite way as the rocking seas increased with the wind.  “Where does this put us, Baltoma?”

He folded his arms across his chest, gazing out at the fathomless sea; the iceberg was hidden by the ship, now behind them.  “Hmm … I do not want you as an enemy; if this experience has taught me anything, and you want our Empire’s support.  So, my question is … Where do you line up in this internal struggle you’ve no doubt seen?”

Elinor looked right into his eyes with a mysterious smile.  “The victor—simple and plain.  At this moment, the High Ruler is in control, and so long as you stay out of my way and what I want, then I will not stand in front of you.”

Baltoma leaned back to study the clouds; Elinor couldn’t read his expression, and after a few seconds, he smiled.  “Then I hope we can be of help to one another.  Please, stop by my City-State when you get an opportunity.  There are resources I have that could prove beneficial to a new and developing Empire.”

“I’ll keep it in mind.  Now, what do you make of these?”  She asked, having the former captain hand the Statesman the detailed sailing maps.

He accepted them, and a deep frown creased his features.  “... These are … Where did you get these?”

“From the pirate captain’s quarters.  It seems he had all the information needed to plunder inside the Great Ruby Lakes.  Where do you suppose they could get their hands on these types of navigation records?”

“Hmm…”  Batloma was looking through the various documents with growing agitation.  “These sailing records and routes should never have been leaked, especially the Imperial Navy’s patrol grid … The only place to obtain these would be from a high-ranking officer in the Naval Navigation Branch.”

“I see,” Elinor mused, following a few strange birds that were probably like this world’s seagulls; their bright white and red colors were a little cute.  “Who fits that bill?”

“Honestly … hmm…”

“Something caught your eye?”  Elinor asked.

“In a way,” he mumbled.  “Captain Isek’rumba was killed by JadeFire earlier today, and he would have access to these types of records.”

Demon cleaning house, Elinor sighed.  “So, the mole was already taken care of to try and make the trail go cold.  That solves that issue.”

Baltoma grunted, handing them back to her.  “I’ll warn Rear Admiral Lower-Half Orlique of the leaked routes when we return; she’ll handle the rest.”

Elinor complied, giving him the documents; it was something she didn’t care dealing with and would gain her much.  “They were likely hired by the Judicus Cartel from what the captain told me.”

The Statesman’s jaw and muscles tightened with the news, nose twisting with anger.  “The … Judicus Cartel?  So, they’re seeking to gain a piece of my land by using my child as leverage.”

Elinor hadn’t made that connection nor expected him to react in this manner.

He gave her a respectful bow while getting to his feet.  “I cannot express how thankful I am for freely divulging that information to me, Empress.  If there is something you need in the future, do not hesitate to seek me out.  Is there more you wish to discuss, or may I take my leave to ponder on this information you have given me?”

“By all means,” Elinor replied, dismissing him.

Baltoma left to be with his son, clawed fist creasing the rolled-up maps in his left hand and leaving Elinor alone, near the front of the vessel to stare at the rising and falling waves.

Well … I should have expected that; still, it turned out to my benefit in the end.  He believes that was a calculated move on my part.

“Ahem, Elinor,” Edmon cut in, drawing her attention.

Mhm?

“I understand you wish to return to our Capital to revive Sari’aél, but what should we do with Tal’tamine?”

Mmh … we really need to name our Capital city, she mumbled, pondering Edmon’s inquiry.  With Tal’tamine, we can’t do anything until Camellia returns with the person that can remove the device.  So, I suppose the best option would be to leave Klaus and Emelina here to handle it.

“Klaus is capable.  Although, it is a very delicate situation with the High Ruler since Imiruba will explain her condition to him.”

True … I’ll bring it up with him when we return.  It needs to be addressed in any case, Elinor replied.  She didn’t want to bring him into the delicate situation unless absolutely necessary, but it had come to that.

However, the topic switch had brought back her anxiety for the unit she’d sent.  The real question is if they’ll be alright … Demon knows they’re coming for Jumi’kerune.  If he is as vital to Demon as we believe, then there will be a fight.

Edmon’s comforting tone soothed her mind.  “They are strong, particularly Camellia and Lacra’Moro, and Iminuarus is well-versed in his former Empire.  He will keep them on the right path.”

I hope you’re right…

“As for a name … How about Nethermore, after Dante Alighieri’s Dante’s Inferno…

“The heavens expelled them, not to be less fair;

“Nor them the nethermore abyss receives,

“For glory, none the damned would have from them.”

Hmm … I like it.  Nethermore will be our city’s name.

Analyzing her Nexus, she knew where north was where her Empire and Iris was, which placed Camellia to the east; judging by the maps she’d seen of the Nalvean lands, they’d made it beyond the Everglade Mountains, dividing the jungle from the Sea Grass Plains.

The three were making fantastic time, given they’d left the day before; of course, being undead helped since they rarely had to take breaks to restore their energy.  Combat-Types at their rank could last for days without rest, which meant it would only take another few hours until they arrived within Grand Designer Jumi’kerune’s Estate.

It took an hour and fifteen minutes from breaking away from the iceberg to make it back to Shi’Shuka; they’d made good time with the Seaweavers increasing the vessel’s speed.

Upon seeing the towering spires of the city’s palace, Elinor got up to speak to Jumbi; Violet returned the two seats to silk, wrapping it around her long legs for later.  A few sailors stared wide-eyed at the vanishing thread as Elinor made her way to their captain.

“Jumbi, I would appreciate it if you remained in port; something urgent has come up in my own nation, and my own vessel was consumed by JadeFire.  There will be a reward.”

She had no clue what that might be but figured there was plenty of treasure in the city that she could scrape up.

He gave her a deep bow.  “Respectfully, Empress, I would rather refuse monetary value and instead gain unfettered access through your waters—perhaps some breaks on tariffs.  If you plan on establishing a river-based trade with the Yalmáth Democracy, Northern Ri’bot Clans, and places yet unexplored, then it would be far more valuable to me, including merchantry within your nation.”

A smile lifted Elinor’s lips; she rather enjoyed the forethought many of these Nalveans had of her growing little Empire.  “I can accept that … I will have a few Ri’bot and my minions,” she gestured at the skeletons aboard his ship, helping the crew with their tasks,” stay while I head to the palace to meet with the High Ruler.

“Also,” she gave him an expectant look, “Quin, a Quen’Talrat that I’ve brought with me, will be present to guard the statue below.  No one is to enter the cargo bay once I leave.”

He bowed again.  “I will see to it myself.”

When she came into range, Elinor contacted Quin, explaining what was expected of her and how imperative it was to defend Sari’aél.

“I will guard her corpse with my life, Empress!  Umm … two people wish for me to ask permission to join you.”

Go on, Elinor said, a little curious about her tone.

“The Ri’bot, known as Kolira, and a Nalvean, known as Elluinara, wish to join us on the return trip to the city; they wish to speak with you when available.”

The Mother Superior and her adopted daughter, hmm?  She thought about it for a moment before giving them permission.  I will speak to them on the way back.

“I will tell them, Empress!”

Using Quin as a broadcasting point to connect to Emelina and Klaus, she told them what she expected of the two; when Sari’aél and Iris were by her side, she would return, and until then, Klaus would take over strategic operations within the Nalvean Empire.  She also told them of her selected name for their Capital City, Nethermore.

He accepted the charge without hesitation before giving his own report.

“It is an excellent name, Empress; does your swift departure mean Sari’aél’s corpse has been obtained?”

“The single best thing that has come from this trip; Tal’tamine is important, but Sari’aél and Iris are essential for our future stability.  Our northern enemy is the priority.”

“I cannot wait to meet her!  I expect her to be quite different than I imagine.  I will not fail you.  As to what has happened since your departure—Castella is remaining by Stateswoman Lukuroha, protecting Aluix.  The palace is in an uproar, and the High Ruler has secluded himself in his room while waiting for your return.  The Drék'uléph Senator’s abduction, combined with all the other incidents, has caused security in the city to skyrocket.”

As I expected, Elinor mumbled.  He must be worried I could be abducted next … or that I was behind it to begin with.  We shall see.

Landing on the docks of the beautiful city, Elinor was met by Hikico’rova and Romimaca, the two Imperial Guards that were with her for most of the day, informing her that the High Ruler was awaiting her visit.

The pair jumped with several dozen Nalveans across the harbor as Quin’s massive, soaking wet form rose out of the river; her thick, silver fur was like a shaggy dog, and she pulled herself up with her four massive arms to guard her future Seraph.

“No need to fear,” Elinor giggled, reaching over to rub one of Quin’s big black noses; the girl having two heads was still a little strange to Elinor.  “She’s here to make sure no one attacks this ship.”

The Nalveans were stiff as boards as the giant female ape rose back to her full height, jaws tight.

“Well?”  Elinor asked, eyeing the two.  “The High Ruler is waiting.  Correct?”

“Y-Yes!”  Hikico’rova replied with a deep bow, shortly followed by his fellow.  “This way, Empress!”

The walk back to the palace with Violet and Edmon was quick, but the streets were all but empty, and large packs of soldiers were patrolling the city; the bustling metropolis was practically dead from what she’d experienced that morning.

Her focus moved to the descending sun; her high-seas adventure had taken quite some time out of her day.

Going through the three well-guarded gates and into the palace, making it to the center, their escort guiding her to the largest elevator she’d seen to reach the fifteenth floor.  Her eyes narrowed upon reaching the top.

In her human form again, Violet focused on the fifteen unique Nalveans outside the High Ruler’s chambers.  “Empress … These are among the strongest Nalveans I have seen, including while I was alive.  In my current state, I will need to be careful to not be seen; ten physical warriors and five Seaweavers.”

“How strong?”  Edmon asked; they’d slowed their pace while exiting the elevator.

Most of the soldiers were wearing black armor that was distinctly different from the Imperial Guards she’d seen below.  Imperial Head Captain Hakara was at their center, focused on her as they entered the hallway; he was nowhere near as strong as these Elite Nalveans.

Elinor made her way across the hallway, keeping her expression neutral, but judging by the intense look she saw from the two females with their helmets removed, these were not the normal Nalvean’s they’d been dealing with; these fifteen were the strongest force Nukulara had, his personal guard, even stronger than Hakara.

“Empress Elinor,” Hakara greeted in a solemn tone.  “The High Ruler has been awaiting your return.  Please, if you could follow me.”

He played with a crystal beside the door that gave off light, likely indicating to the High Ruler that they’d arrived.  The Elite Guard gave her breathing room as they waited for it to open, but their senses were sharp.

“Together, I could see them cornering Camellia when she was alive; they are powerful individually, but I sense that their strength comes from their coordination in combat.  It would be difficult for me to protect you if they chose to attack.”

“Which is why I am here,” Edmon stated, frost leaking from his visor.  “It is not a problem.  Can you sense any danger within?”

“No,” Violet replied.  “Nukulara is the only figure present within the rooms ahead.”

The colossal bronze-like doors opened, and Edmon handed her Baltoma’s notice about gifting her his angel statue.  As was expected, he remained with the Elite Guards, ready to take action at the slightest hint of danger.

Violet managed to slip in with Elinor and Hakara, using the walls and floor.  The hallway was similar to the area she’d been given; however, it was much grander and had three extra rooms.

Hakara guided her to the first door on the left, opening it for her to enter, and promptly shut it once she was through, returning to the others.

Violet didn’t have time to sneak in, so she used some shadow ability to teleport to Elinor’s shadow, stepping out of it to inspect the extensive study.

The High Ruler was sitting in a custom-built chair that was made precisely for his form.  Her experience with Nalvean expressions was worthless on Nukulara.

“Welcome,” he greeted; the man’s tone told Elinor that he was in a mildly derisive mood.  “Are you really going to tell me you came in without some hidden attendant or guard?”

Elinor gave the High Ruler a secretive smile before sweeping the well-lit room and making her way to the salamander creature.

An orange flame was flickering in what appeared to be a fireplace, casting its light across the High Ruler’s form; the wood inside it was a dull yellow, and instead of heat, it released a chill.

“When did you first suspect it?”

Nukulara was leaning against the side of his chair, supporting his head with the back of his clawed hand.  “Suspicions?”  He asked.  “The moment they killed Castella; it wasn’t difficult to conclude once I spoke with her, but the fact this hidden figure can escape the notice of my guards outside has really caught my interest.”

Violet confirmed that the area was safe, and Elinor had her recreate the silken throne for her to sit; Nukulara watched with a studious gaze as she sat.

“I do enjoy being direct,” Elinor replied, adjusting her skirt while crossing her legs.  “Violet, if you could show yourself to the High Ruler.”

Nukulara’s focus slid from Elinor to the revealed Spider Sister beside her, vision narrowing.  “I … expected as much, considering the use of silk, but … to wear the visage of a human was not within my imagination.  The Silken Fiends of the Dark are what we called them … terrifying creatures that preyed on the Quen’Talrat.”

Elinor granted Violet the chance to explain herself, momentarily reverting to her original form and causing the High Ruler to shift uncomfortably in his chair; she still had no presence other than visual.

“I am the youngest daughter of a Thélméthra Queen; the Empress has given me the name Violet.  Within her Empire, I am an assassin that deals with her enemies from the shadows.”

Violet faded back into obscurity, causing the High Ruler to chuckle and ease his muscles.  “To think they can actually speak with your powers; I am impressed, Empress Elinor.”

Elinor giggled.  “She is quite impressive.”

His focus moved to the orange flames, and his tone became a little somber.  “I find it somewhat concerning, Elinor,” he mumbled, bright green eyes returning to her, “I feel a sort of kinship with you after only a short time, and it’s unusual.  That being said, there is a voice in my head telling me to put up walls and push you away as fast as possible.  What do you make of that?”

“Hmm…”  She sat back, folding her hands across her lap.  “Kazan’aru.”

His expression became serious.  “That name … I did not expect for you to speak … What do you know of the Shadow Keeper?  Is that how you made it into my secret garden?”

Elinor released a soft sigh, vision falling to the expensive rugs; the High Ruler was getting to the juicy stuff.  “I suppose you could say he is my greatest enemy; shortly after I set foot on this planet, he sought to take control over my very soul.  Through a process of fortunate and … unfortunate events, I was able to defend myself against him.”

Her glowing eyes returned to the man.  “I call him Demon, and everything that’s happened since my visit has been indirectly orchestrated by him in order to bar me from gaining the upper hand.  He has given up centuries worth of planning, and I suspect he sacrificed a significant number of plans within the Nalvean Empire.”

She told him about almost everything she’d learned since her arrival, going into detail about the assassinations with JadeFire while excluding specific individuals from the account to not incriminate them.

Her story covered Yesenia’s part in it, how he was manipulating her, the kidnapping of Baltoma’s son, and dozens of shady deals working in the underground.  She paused just before the subject of his daughter, allowing him to process the previous news.

His hands were folded together, watching the flames as she explained his current situation, but the question he asked threw Elinor a little off-guard.  “I can see the connecting dots with Kazan’aru and the various factions moving against my seat of power is nothing new—What about my secret garden?”

Elinor refrained from scratching her head as an itch formed.  “Hmm … I understand you have a romantic affair with Grand Duchess Juliquah—a Golariex.”

Nukulara slumped in his chair, eyes closing as he sat back with a low sigh.  “So … it is out—it is the instability you need.”

“Mmh … I think you misunderstand something,” Elinor mumbled with a sad smile.  “I have no plans to spread such a rumor, nor would I find much benefit for it since I require a stable nation to recognize my status as an Empire—instability is actually what Demon wants, so it is more difficult for my kingdom to grow.”

Confusion crossed his features as his vision opened, head tilting to the left.  “You … do not find the discovery repulsive?”

Elinor giggled, reaching up to scratch her neck.  “To be pointed, your sex life is none of my concern so long as it does not harm my own Empire; in fact, I find it a rather intriguing story.  Now, Demon would love to expose that particular secret, but I assume you’ve taken appropriate precautions to not be caught.

“Castella has made it very clear to me that she abhors the very thought and that simple discovery turned her entirely against you; however, she is loyal to me and will not jeopardize our future relationship by spilling the secret to her Nalvean sisters.”

Nukulara smiled.  “Interesting … Perhaps this is the reason I feel this … connection with you, Empress Elinor.  You are not like any creature I have met, and I find your candid expression … refreshing.  No one has ever spoken to me as you have, nor had such opinions.”

Elinor shrugged.  “I do come from another world, High Ruler, and might I add that my culture was vastly different than yours.  Now, I can see the issues the females of your species have with the Golariex, and there certainly are concerns to be mentioned, but I believe their zealot-like hatred is more fueled by jealousy and fear of being inferior than anything else.  You have done your duties to your people, and sired heirs, which is commendable, given your heart is taken by another.”

He nodded.  “I have come to a similar conclusion … What of Imiruba and Tal’tamine?  I assume he is the one that told you of Kazan’aru, and both have yet to leave the Royal Dignitary Quarters since entering.”

“Heh … your trusted confidant is very loyal to you and your daughter, and the plan you had to keep him safe by following me worked charmingly; I suspect there was someone in wait to kidnap him like the Drék'uléph Senator.”

Nukulara groaned, rubbing the side of his head.  “A disaster … Umika’mia is currently on her way to Cape Glorious, their capital city, to relay the information.  It will be a few months before I receive word from the Senate, but it does not invoke confidence in our allies; a few of my advisors told me to cover up the entire incident, but I cannot do that with how turbulent our relationship already is.”

He gave her a thankful smile.  “Your quick action was admirable; from what I’ve been told, you tracked down the point where they escaped out to sea.  I appreciate the effort.”

Elinor’s lips fell into a frown as she shook her head.  “Demon was the culprit, and for some reason, the Drék'uléph Senator was significantly important.  Sadly, I didn’t realize it until it was too late.  Yesenia, my ship being burned, the events in the palace—all to keep my attention away from the important movements.”

He hummed.  “The meeting with my son?”

“Leverage on Baltoma to obtain this…”  She had Violet give him the rolled-up parchment with its seal.  “Your son wishes for me to gain a specific historic Seaweaver temple as my embassy for giving me what I needed.  He assured me it was within your rights.”

The High Ruler lifted an eyebrow upon receiving the floating notice, scanning the content after breaking the seal.  “I see … to go through such trouble for a work of art…”  He released a low chuckle.  “It is a corpse, isn’t it?”

“Sharp,” Elinor grinned.  “It is—and well worth the trouble.”

He nodded, far more pleasant after she said there was no issue with his sexual activities.  “That being said, my eldest—living son,” he paused, showing a bit of disapproval upon mentioning Micru’jire, “is a rather tactless and dense man.”

“Is there an issue with his claim?”  She asked with a lifted eyebrow.

Nukulara put the notice on the table to his left with a snort.  “The temple is a holy relic that may be within my jurisdiction as the High Ruler, but Micur’jire never had the proper respect for the Seaweaver Church; dated as it may be, it still holds much power,” she grumbled.  “It would cause problems I’m not willing to deal with; however…”  He gave her a sad smile.

“If you do wish to keep that promise, then you’ll need to give something up to them that this next topic segways into perfectly.”

Elinor frowned.  “Is that so?  If it’s the Seaweaver Church … Yesenia is their top figure at the moment, which means,” her eyes closed with a hot puff of air shooting through her nostrils, “she wants her family’s corpses given to her.”

The High Ruler gave her a sad smile.  “You puzzled that out quickly.  It was a strange discussion that filled a considerable time of the High Seaweaver’s discourse on the dangers of making the Undying Empire our ally.  I assume there is some reason for not wanting them returned since she is making deals with—You call him Demon?”

Her vision dulled while glaring at the orange flames.  “Yes … it is a leverage point that I have over her, and she’s trying to be on a neutral playing field.  Hmm…”

He watched her as she debated on the trade; it wasn’t a pleasant thought.

“... If it is the only way you see this deal working out, then … Yes, I will make the trade; an Empress must have a markless history of keeping her word.”

Nukulara gave her an odd gesture she hadn’t seen before, sliding his clawed index finger across his forehead and chest.  “I applaud the concession and ethics; you truly are a Ruler.”

Elinor’s tone became somber while straightening her lax posture; it was easier talking to Nukulara.  “I have something … difficult to tell you about Tal’tamine; the reason she has not left my room is that Imiruba is watching over her with my Head Maid to be sure of her health.”

The High Ruler’s jaw tightened, vision narrowing slightly.  “Is there something wrong with her?”

“In a manner of speaking,” Elinor sighed.  “I hoped to solve the problem before I was forced to bring you into the situation, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.  I have reason to believe that Demon has implanted some kind of ancient mind-control device onto your daughter’s soul—I first discovered the horrors of such a device when dealing with the assassin that tried to kill the boy that’s with Stateswoman Lukuroha.”

Nukulara’s expression fell dramatically as he rose to his feet, walking to the window to stare out at the terrace.  “... Tal’tamine is an extraordinary girl—the reason I continued to bed Nalvean women and have children was to have her…”

In the reflecting glass of the window, Elinor could see his nose twisting with anger.  “Kazan’aru was the one who told me of the secret within our lineage—and once she was born, he planned to use her … Is that what you’re telling me?”

Her lips pursed, pondering his words.  “... It seems to be the case.  I discovered it by accident, in fact, but feared that once exposed, Demon, or whoever was controlling her, would have her commit suicide, which would then put me in a perilous position with you.

“So, I set my people to find a way to free her.  The more I learned, the more difficult that became.  This technology that Demon has been constructing within your Empire can even kill spirits, which is what happened to Kimlira and the assassin that had an internal JadeFire suicide device.  If she dies with this thing in her … even I cannot bring her back for you.”

Nukulara was silent for several seconds, tight hands gripping each other behind his back and pressing down on his stiff tail.  “... The culprit behind it … it is Jumi’kerune, isn’t it?”

Elinor was impressed by his quick deduction; he clearly had more information than she thought.  “It is, and I have three of my more powerful assassins heading there now to retrieve him; I should have the means to force compliance to free her if I get my hands on him.”

He didn’t respond, too furious to even speak; it took a full minute before he nodded, staring at the falling sun.  “Kazan’aru has ripped my kingdom apart from under my nose, and I didn’t see it … thinking everything working against me was independent of each other.  He has made an enemy of me, as well.  Empress Elinor…”

Nukulara turned to her but trailed off once seeing her stunned expression, hand pressed against her breast.  “Empress Elinor … What’s wrong?”

A horrifying pain had struck her core.  “How … No...”

One of her precious, three loyal soldiers that she’d sent to retrieve Jumi’kerune had passed back into the afterlife.  It was too far away; there wasn’t a thing she could do about it, and worse, what if the other two followed?  Camellia was still alive, but that could change at any moment if one had already died.

Tears welled up in her eyes at just the possibility of losing Camellia and having to tell her mother and sisters of her passing, her Religious System returning her empathy.  What kind of battle were they in?  Should she be worried about the eldest Spider Sister next?

Elinor had rarely prayed in her life, but at this moment, her heart cried for help from anyone that could save her from the pain she feared was coming.


Maps:

Post Conquest

SME's Request:

I hope you've been enjoying the free entertainment!  The internet is divided into different echo-chambers; you have a specific group that only hovers around specific sites/content.  So, by recommending my serials to others, you give it more exposure to different echo-chambers and help it grow.  Ratings are excellent, Trending is terrific, but it only will appeal to a specific echo-chamber.  If you like my content, then please share it in your own unique way.

Thank you!  ^_^7

Normal Plugs:

Discord Link - Growing Community =D

View and help contribute to the Wiki

Support me on Patreon and get up to:

+ 6 Chapters ahead in A Tail's Misfortune

+ 11 Chapters in The Oscillation

+ 10 Chapters in Undying Empire

+ 10 Chapters in PokéSync (Pokemon Fanfic)

+ Mystery Wednesday Patron Exclusives

- 8 Chapters in The Power Of Cuteness And Positivity

- 1 Chapter Soul's Requiem

+ Access to Polls

+ All my commissioned artwork is up for free on my Patreon!

45