B3 — 19. Never At Peace
437 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV:

1.  Elinor (Our Lich Empress!)

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

Fraxx, Roni Free, Markus, Tarodan, Brunoid, Falxie, Seigfried589, Justin Timothy, Martynas Samsonas, Eyes Wide, Andre Lauth, and my other Patrons!


Silence stretched in the dim, doleful room as Elinor observed Tiffany prepare the various rituals across the recently cleaned unique black granite floor.

Esmeralda’s light brown hair was bouncing in its ponytail as the teenage Maid jogged out of the room, dress fluttering in her exit; she’d been flitting left and right to support Tiffany as the only other member of the Witchery Class, gathering ingredients the Grand Ritualist sent her to fetch.

The girl was basically the woman’s full-time attendant at this point, considering how busy Elinor’s Royal Court member had become.  From what she could tell from the private dialogue between the pair, she was involved in setting things up for Tiffany and maintaining certain parameters between three rooms of ongoing rituals.

Theresa stood to Elinor’s right on the Thélméthra throne she used, serenely awaiting any support she might offer her.  She was the model of composure and grace, much like Emelina.

Elinor’s mind was drifting between actions needing to be taken and developing a priority list; currently, if her Death Energy continued to rise at its consistent rate, which wasn’t likely but given the previous three day’s averages, it would be another six hours before it was filled.

Her experimentation with the Zombies had drained her, and naturally, a crisis had occurred not soon after.  The number of issues that had plagued her since arriving on this planet flashed through her mind; it was one problem after another, and she couldn’t deny the pressure had increased her growing Empire to gain significant ground, but at the same time, threats were stacking up against her.

Taking in air, she filled her artificial lungs and let it ease out in a steady stream, vision shifting to the silk bed Camellia was finishing for the unconscious Sari’aél.

What is the benefit or harm in letting the people know of their beloved symbol’s fall?  On the one hand, it allows them to develop a stronger attachment to understand how hard we’re fighting for their sake and allows them the chance to feel as if they can help in some way to aid in her recovery.

The world went dark as she closed her eyes, resting her knuckles against her cheek.  On the other hand … Their invincible angel has fallen, which could diminish faith … It could lead to division in ranks and cause strife between groups.

Of course…  Her glowing green irises shone while cracking open to stare at the holy woman, blackened feathers and still somewhat blemished skin drawing her gaze.  It all depends on how it is framed.

In the Grand Hall of the Palace, Valerie consoled the innocent 12-year-old German girl the other Maids doted over; it wouldn’t be long before the Songweaver returned to continue aiding Elinor, but the Empress’ mind was on the young Maid as she contacted Lucky to connect her thoughts.

The charming young man was going over living concerns with some of the Ri’bot Chiefs; her sight remained on the resting angel while addressing him.  I’d like your opinion on something to see if we share the same results.

The man’s delighted voice returned, pausing the meeting with the Chiefs and having them take a short respite.  “You have my undivided attention, Empress.”

She took a moment to ponder her question’s framing.  Sari’aél has been injured in a recent conflict; she will recover, but her primary complication is her drained energy.  Still, I am concerned the sight of her tattered and burned wings or slightly burned skin will cause unrest.  Do you believe I should conceal her until she has recovered in a week or reveal her condition?

“Hmm … to make a proper assessment, I’d need more information,” Lucky concluded, cheer diminishing as the news.  “She will recover?”

As far as I am aware, completely.

“What is the status of our enemy?”

We are victorious and gained a great deal from the exchange, but she escaped; she shouldn’t be a problem for some time, and we have search parties in pursuit.

“Hmm … Who caused her wounds?  It will be important in how things are framed.”

Sari’aél’s own power once her energy was diminished.

“I see … So, it was a conscious choice on her part that took everything she had … I believe spreading the information slowly through the ranks in a positive light will cause quite a state of concern, and it can be done in a manner that shows we are not in danger.

“It is Sari’aél’s recovery that will be on their minds, and seeing it will strengthen their faith; right now, there is a depression sweeping many hearts among the humans and rising concerns for the Ri’bot.  However, this can bring everyone together.”

Elinor could resonate with that sensation; the humans were forced into this unforgiving world.  Their lives hadn’t been perfect—far from it, in fact—the Columbia backwater village was a difficult place to grow up in, she was sure, but at least it was familiar.  In this new place, all they saw was their powerlessness, and while she could provide protection, Sari’aél was their symbol of hope for a brighter future.

To the Ri’bot, the angelic figure was the light to her darkness, and it provided a contrast between their One Above All; it was challenging to change how they felt toward the other clans when their skin color was so ingrained in centuries of hatred.  Still, by pure power, she’d forced them to submit, and it showed their faith in the divine was more founded than their grudges.

However, having a constant reminder of the light of day and the brightness Sari’aél provided was the thing that kept them steady in that belief.  Elinor was the unshakable power and the Seraph the healing light that wrapped them into a protective cocoon.

Her lips lifted a little at the opinion; he trusted their stability at its core.  My thoughts are to allow Aileen to discuss it and let it spread throughout the day and then have you address it as it comes to your attention.  At that point, some of the off-duty Maids can bring her up; she’s physically recovering with the aid of Luisina, so her burns should be minor by then.

Elinor’s gaze drifted to the woman’s spread six wings; the metal-like parts were still intact yet singed, but it was the peaceful expression that captured her attention.  Her blackened and missing feathers will be the most memorable sight.  We can show her healing each day; plus, their building faith may even help hasten her recovery.

Her liaison between the Undead and Living held his peace for a time as he thought on her words.  “Mmh … Would it be possible to allow her to spend time with them once she wakes?  Having her presence near would ease their minds if they can observe her among them for a day or two.”

Knuckles shifting against her cheek, Elinor pondered the advice.  I can’t promise that because there is a significant battle coming up for Sari’aél two days after her expected recovery.  It is possible, though, and if we are fortunate, no other critical incident will happen.  We need time to rebuild our strength.

“Understood.  I will proceed in that light.  Is it appropriate to address what you are doing to further set their minds at ease?”  Lucky tentatively asked.

Edmon will give you instructions on what to share when he returns in regards to the spoils of war, but Sari’aél should take the bulk of the conversation, I’d assume.  If it will help comfort their hearts to know what I am doing, it is gathering more soldiers and Quen’Talrat operators to rebuild this city and uplift their standard of living.

Lucky forced a chuckle.  “I do not envy your position, Empress, and what it is you seek to accomplish … I respect you greatly for the burden you carry for us.”  Clearing his throat, his tone brightened again.  “I will do everything in my power to keep the relationship between the Undead and Living as stable as possible.”

I leave it in your hands.  How is Gwen fairing?

“She’s an angel herself,” Lucky mused.  “She’s become a pillar in the Ri’bot, human, and Yaltha’ma communities.  Between Mauricio’s flexible craftsmanship providing basic needs and fixing or repurposing necessary items taken from our world to Antonietta filling their bellies with much-needed healthy, hot, and good tasting, might I add, food, things could be worse.”

Raising her head a little to track some of her Lesser Court members, a contemplative smile lightened her cheeks.  How is Leonora doing; I hear she spends time with the teens at Gwen’s request.

“Ah, heh, the Artist!  Yes, after her projects with Violet in decorating the Throne Room and Grand Hall, she has found a place in aiding the boys and girls express themselves through artwork, whether through creating odd plant-based clothing, painting, or designing sets for a play they’re trying to develop.  It usually comprises two hours out of their day between groups.”

Wonderful.  I look forward to the performance whenever they feel comfortable acting it out.  Now, I’ll leave you to your meeting.

“All is for the Empire,” he returned in a vocal bow as she retracted herself from the conversation.

Thus far, the Palace had been the best place to conduct their operations and protect her citizens, but that would need to change soon; they needed a more permanent home for the humans and Ri’bot in the various districts surrounding the structure, and that would only happen if the city was secure.

In addition, to break down cultural barriers, it would be best to not keep the various races segregated, yet she also couldn’t force that decision, or it could generate a divide.  It would be a tricky situation for Lucky to handle in the coming days.

There was always too much to do and not enough people to accomplish the work, and all of her most powerful soldiers were being chipped down by the day; even as Undead, there was a limit to what they could manage in terms of upkeep.

Camellia had moved on to creating a bed for Violet, and Tiffany had a blood sacrifice to further enhance the Seraph’s regeneration.

Elinor sighed, drawing Theresa’s gaze as Esmeralda led in a hypnotized big furry animal the size of a horse to be used as the Witchs’ fuel for their ritual; Tiffany had become far more adept at making her victims tame for the life-stealing work she did.

Feeling somewhat better knowing there was a plan in place, Elinor waited fortyish minutes until Amra’Cora entered the Nexus’ range and the thirty after to make it through the city streets; her troops were transporting the injured back to the Palace.

Naturally, the colossal apes wouldn’t be missed, which would spark conversation, unlike Camella’s dashing and soundless movements that went almost undetected, and even if she were spotted, all that could be seen would be a giant cocoon.

She moved out of the way for Amra’Cora and her unit to bring in Violet, Azalea, Serris, and Lexi.  From what she could see, the mantis and Thélméthra webmaster were in the worst state, and Serris appeared to be simply exhausted, much like Azalea.

Elinor’s jaw tightened upon seeing her talented silk weaver assassin; the girl’s skin, clothing, and hair had been evaporated by the emerald flames of the perfected Quen’Talrat Mila created.  Violet’s white and black shell beneath her human figure showed signs of cracking and what almost appeared to be melted in a few places; she looked nothing like the enthralling gothic girl Elinor knew.

How is she?  Elinor asked, vision sliding down her damaged body; it was somewhat concerning that she was still in the transformation after their journey.  Why isn’t she back in her original form?

Tiffany’s orange energy enclosed the girl, lips tight as she examined her.  “So far as I can tell … Not good.  She’s fighting exhaustion from simply keeping herself alive.”

I can provide her more, though?  Elinor asked, watching Camellia anxiously hover around her sisters while trying not to get in Tiffany’s way.

“Mmh … You can try, but we’ve never attempted supplying your depleted units with more energy.  I suspect there is some limitation on it.”

We won’t know until we try, Elinor stated, knowing it would set her back a little on her goal to return to the mines.  Violet is worth every bit of Death Energy I’ve collected.

Lexi reformed into her miniature form, sluggishly weaving back and forth where the apes had set her.  “W-Where’s Serris … Is she okay?”

Elinor’s focus was entirely on Violet, and green flames birthed around her left arm while shifting her legs in the opposite direction; butterflies flew out of the light, Lexi trying to fixate on the flapping representations.

They fluttered down to Violet’s chest and landed—not one was absorbed—she couldn’t give the Thélméthra extra energy.  She confirmed it by sending some to Amra’Cora, waiting for further orders by her side—the emerald creatures sank into her gray fur—Violet was restricted while Amra’Cora wasn’t.

Tiffany followed the butterflies with a tight expression; Camellia accepted it while both of her sisters’ were closed off from support.  “Mmh … As far as I can tell, reaching a certain threshold of exhaustion prevents an Undead from receiving aid until a specific time has passed—presumably, they must be conscious.”

Jaw tightening at the news, Elinor cursed in her heart.  Is there nothing I can do?

“So far as I can tell … No, I will need to prepare more restorative methods to hasten her renewal, but it’s going to take time … Perhaps more than even Sari’aél.  Azalea should be back up during the daily reset, but I fear her health will not be well; I suppose this is the price for pushing an Undead beyond their reserves.”

I … guess I’ll leave them in your care…  Her aggravated gaze drifted to an apprehensive Lexi.  What of the Covenant soldiers?  I know I’m asking a lot of you and Luisina, but we can’t be indebted to Sar'ollaz if that is indeed his plan.

Tiffany breathed out a long stream of air as Camellia blurred into action on her prompt to make more beds for those that needed rest.  “Come here, and let me get a look at you…”

“O-Okay … I, umm … I’ve never seen Serris hurt herself so bad—she, eh … she can utilize every muscle fiber independently to increase her speed and strength, but … but it comes at a price,” she whispered, hugging herself as two flames snapped into existence around the Witch to surround the gel girl.

“Mhm…”  Tiffany’s left eyebrow lifted.  “Well, don’t you have a rather … an interesting body … Oh, yes, you do!  I could use you for all sorts of things,” she mused, a gleam sparking in the Grand Ritualist’s illuminated orange irises that clearly made Lexi panic a little inside.  “In fact, you might be able to help me hasten Azalea and your friend’s resurgence.”

Lexi’s gray, fatigued color shaded a light purple at her fright.  “Uh … If—If I can help, umm … I will … What are you going to do to me?”

“More on that later,” Tiffany said, intrigue and excitement in her voice again.  “Your friend … has a complex weave of tightly bound elastic muscle fiber that is rather unique … and they’re shot.  I suspect she will not make a full recovery, given normal circumstances, but your castle in the sky surely has the technology to help in that regard.  Correct?”

“Mhm!”  Lexi swiftly nodded.  “Yes, we … Umm, there is a bit of a problem, though…”  she mumbled, head lowering to the stone floor.  “We, eh … we don’t have a way back anymore.”

“Ah,” Tiffany nodded with understanding.  “Right, your ride was turned to ash; I remember Edmon saying … Well, hmm…”  She turned to Elinor, a frown on her lips.  “We … do have the rod Sar'ollaz gave you; he might send a party to retrieve her, as well?”

Elinor couldn’t guess what the creepy devil was planning, but this was not on her agenda.  I’m not going to use that to be his delivery girl … No, if he wants his people, he’ll have to come to get them himself.  Until then, you said she could have her uses—I’m a member of the Covenant—put her to work.

“As you command,” Tiffany giggled, positively thrilled to have a new subject for experimentation.  “I’ll be gentle so as to not harm her intended purpose.”

Elinor’s focus returned to the three Spider Sisters; she had the energy to burn, and from here, she couldn’t do anything of use.  Camellia, Amra’Cora, do you feel up to escorting me?

“So soon, Empress?”  Camellia asked; she may have been worried about her sisters, but the question was directed at the risks of venturing too far from the center of what she saw as their nest.  “Shouldn’t we wait for High Lord Edmon?”

Amra’Cora was a soldier instead of a princess and ambush predator, though.  “At all times, Empress!  Are we going into hostile territory?”

Elinor was already turning around her Thélméthra throne and heading for the door; Valerie was almost back to the room, and if she didn’t do something, Elinor knew she’d grow insane.  She had to get stronger—her one fear was to end up alone, and she knew that all too well, which spurred her to do better.

It will never be safe … We can only do what we can at the moment, and that means I must push on.  Fearing risk will blind me to what is happening around my kingdom, which will do no one good.

Tiffany watched her leave with a sad, understanding smile, Camellia running after her and transforming into her human state to jump onto the back of her throne.  “Stay safe, Elinor,” she whispered just between them.

Amra’Cora, Ramuk, Melia'Ia, and Yelro'Kuma took up a square formation around her, leaving Kumi’Relta, their exhausted Hunter, to rest in Tiffany’s makeshift infirmary.

Elinor’s mind flicked between the units she had across the continent; hundreds of Undead scoured the northwest mountain range, searching for the elusive escaped Runic A.I.  Tiffany had sent Rigrach to command the hunt; the Uncommon Jukal had his uses, despite his mind-grating manner of speech.

Valerie joined them, receiving an update from Theresa as they moved up the stairs to the Great Hall, and Elinor’s gaze settled on Amra’Cora’s twenty-three-foot-tall colossal figure.  The armor she wore showed signs of damage but seemed to have done well enough for being, as she put it, an outdated model.

The Elite Quen’Talrat Unit of the Gray Bloods was quite the force, and she somewhat regretted the number of troops she’d brought to the Nalvean Empire.  Lecra'Moro’s loss to their group was a significant blow to their synergy.

Lecra'Moro was their assassin, which provided information and strategic, in-combat tactics to give the silent ape a distraction to land critical blows.

Melia'Ia was Kumi’Relta’s shield as the Hunter could find just about anything he was put on the trail of—unfortunately, the battle exhausted him—but they all had to adapt.

Her right hand rose to press against her breast; the lingering feeling of Lecra'Moro and Imiunarus’ spirits being ripped out of her Nexus had felt like a chunk of her heart being dug out of her chest.  She didn’t want that pain to return, yet knew that was wishful thinking.

Elinor’s gaze hardened, teeth grinding together; that didn’t mean she’d let it happen so easily.  She straightened her posture as they neared ground level, mind finding Camellia to put the thoughts behind her.

How are you feeling? she privately asked.

Camellia was on high alert, keeping her senses sharp in an attempt to live up to her sisters’ expectations.  “I was supposed to skate on the ice and play in the snow with Azalea once she returned.”

Reading between the lines, Elinor hummed.  I’m also concerned about them, but we both know your sisters are not so easily killed.

The crimson-eyed girl was silent for a few seconds.  “Empress … All my life, only one enemy ever harmed my sisters … To feel this weak is very new to me,” she whispered.  “I am glad that my mother is not here to see the state Azalea and Violet are in; they would be mortified.”

Elinor knew she was speaking from experience, and her green irises lifted to the colossal floors on either side of the Great Hall; more than a few dozen humans and Ri’bot were looking down, speaking softly to one another.

It must have been agitating being forced to remain inside when word spread that she’d called for them to take emergency shelter; hopefully, this would be the last time.

From what I hear, even your mother would have found their battle challenging … You saw Sari’aél’s state.  I am proud of their accomplishments … And they returned to me alive; I couldn’t have asked for more.

“Thank you, Empress,” Camellia whispered, but their conversation took a sharp turn as the girl paused.  “Mmh … Empress, the snow has turned to rain.  Should I construct one of those umbrella things that the children showed me?”

That would be wonderful, Elinor smiled; the Thélméthra were more valuable than she could have dreamed.

Her smile grew as the girl’s hair spun around her head and around Elinor’s throne, blooming as the drone continued her chosen direction to form blood-like veins that branched out like a tree before weaving into a cover.

“I … am sorry for its crudeness,” Camellia mumbled, self-conscious of her spin compared to her younger sisters.

It’s perfect, Elinor laughed.  I rather enjoy this style; anything else on a dead spider mount would seem off-putting.

Camellia’s mood brightened a tad.  “I am honored you enjoy it!”

Elinor was a little surprised by the lack of sound the rain made against the silk as it was guided into a stream to their back, and Camellia did her best to imitate her sister’s clear webbing—it wasn’t flawless; red lines were seen here and there—but it was more than acceptable to keep out the wall of water in their race through the swiftly melting snow in the warm shower.

Peering past the shield the Thélméthra had crafted, Elinor heard the rumble of thunder roll through the clouds, yet no bolts could be seen in the high heavens.  A strong current in the upper atmosphere showed fast-moving vapor billowing across the sky toward the east—she’d never seen anything like the unnatural waves.

Do we have weather control now?  That could be very useful.  The winds allowed slight outlines of Sha’Guala’s illuminated underbelly for a few seconds before it was obscured again.  What are you planning, Sar'ollaz?

Her attention went back to the clearing streets; unfortunately, Camellia’s dream of playing in the snow with her sisters would have to be on the mountains because whatever Noa was doing, it was sprinkling warm water across the jungle, returning it to the status quo.

Time went on as she traveled to the train; her Death Pool wasn’t even half full as of yet, but it was returning surprisingly fast when compared to her initial expectations due to a boost in Death Energy from the Ri’bot in the Nalvean Empire.  The day had started, and they were the major suppliers in the fishing trade; every kill they made gave her a sliver of that life force.

The truly shocking thing to Elinor was Edmon’s delay; the train was missing when she arrived at the site, and according to Amra’Cora’s examination of the operation room’s runic display, it was making its return.

“Elinor?”  Edmon whispered, connecting to the Nexus again.  “Is there an issue?”

No, but I cannot stay still and wait any longer … I’ve decided to meet Noa and get an assessment of my own, and once that is one, I will be sifting through the dead in the mines for more prospective operators that Nethermore needs.

A low hiss breathed through Edmon’s connection to her.  “I … suppose I cannot dissuade you.  So, I will…”

Return to Nethermore and continue to secure the city, she ordered.  I know you are concerned for my safety, and so am I, but Tiffany told me you are nearly spent as it is.  Given our current circumstances, you are best suited to get our home under control.  We must take the risk now … while we still have time.

Edmon didn’t respond for a second, and she could hear another long stream of air leaving his lips.  “It is a practical plan.  Remain vigilant, Camellia, Amra’Cora, and watch Jumi’calro, Elinor … He hasn’t been properly sealed to not betray the Empire, and he can manipulate the labyrinth.  I left Finila and Giliri to watch over him after you sent them, but he was connected to Demon.”

I’m well aware, Elinor said, and caught sight of the fast train as it closed in on the docking area; her bodyguards gave private assurances to the Doom Guard that they wouldn’t allow anything to happen to her.  Rest, Edmon, and direct the work in Nethermore.  I will return with reinforcements for you to use in time to meet with Emelina.

“I will anxiously await your return.”

She could feel Edmon’s discomfort, working through every new crack in their ever fracturing defense; he patched one side only for another to open, but that was a part of his job in the Court.  Elinor couldn’t help but linger a second to study the divine weapon in Edmon’s hand, now in the shape of a frost dragon.

Sari’aél’s ax?

“Mmgm,” he held it up as they met.  “It is dangerous … Very dangerous.  No one should touch her except for Sari’aél … I don’t wish to hold her again, despite the comfort and power Milthren gives, the price is too steep.”

It must be, Elinor muttered, sensing the division in Edmon’s core.  Hmm … Don’t push yourself, Edmon.  I need you.

A half-smile touched his glowing blue eyes, helmet shattering in ice to reveal her father’s handsome face.  “I never intend to leave your side, Elinor.”

Good.

Breaking away, they went to their own tasks; the Doom Guard may not have liked leaving her safety in an already spent force, but there was no one else that could match the group.

She took the train to the mine, pausing to examine the fortress and closed gate that led into the mountain depths; they’d go to the quickest route that would bring them into contact with the A.I. who had joined her Empire—the path that had drawn them together.

Amra’Cora quickly found the controls to open the gate from the inside; it wouldn’t work on the way back since they didn’t know the code on the opposite side.  Although Camellia could scale the walls and open it.

In a way, the method made her giggle, bringing back memories of being locked out of her house—leaving her key on her dresser that morning when she was twelve—and she used a neighbor's ladder to reach her window to get inside.

Luckily, she’d also forgotten to lock her window, and naturally, the alarm her parents never failed to set went off, and in her panic, she’d fallen and bruised her butt.  Her mother thought it was funny—her father, not so much.

Mood somewhat lighter once they reached the break in the wall that would carry them into the labyrinth, Elinor’s gaze wandered over the piles of insect corpses Noa had stockpiled; they’d come in handy at some point, she was sure.

Since this section of the network was likely broken by Mila to isolate Noa, it took another hour or so to reach the destroyed area where they'd first met the rogue A.I.  It was blocked off, but Camellia quickly got to work and easily cleared the way enough for them to get by.

It had passed noon for this world, being 15 P.M., and was now likely somewhere between 1 P.M. and 2 P.M.  Much of the morning had been filled with turmoil, but now they could put that behind them.

Noa met her on the opposite side, a pleasant smile on her lips, and Elinor rather enjoyed her lunar appeal.  “Empress, what a pleasant surprise!  I apologize for not clearing out this mess; I am still getting used to operating the few worker units I have at my disposal and cataloging the Matrix.”

“By no means am I here to rush you,” Elinor chuckled, peering past her at the well-illuminated, golden room beyond; it had gone through a color change.  “Can you transmit yourself to multiple people at a time?”

She nodded, looking fondly at the walls.  “I felt so cramped for over a century, and now … now it’s like I’m in an endless, unexplored ocean.  Mila expanded the Nexus beyond anything I imagined.”

“I’m happy for you,” Elinor said, relaxing a tad with the A.I. beside her.  “If it won’t impede you, can you tell me a little…”

A familiar shiver pulsed through her bones as a soft, feminine voice breathed into her mind, dilating Elinor’s pupils.  “What a fascinating place…”

Not a second after, a deep, charming male voice followed.  “Empress, it has been too long.”

She glanced to her left and right, but Camellia, Amra’Cora, and Noa didn’t seem to hear the dual voices, yet just as she was about to open her mouth, a hollow tapping came from the room ahead.

Everyone’s focus darted to the place, Noa’s eyebrows pulling in as Elinor swallowed the sticky saliva gathering in her throat.  “I … I can feel vibrations in that direction that distort my sensors.”

“An enemy?”  Amra’Cora asked, gray flames erupting across her armor.

Ramuk jumped forward with Camellia.  “Stay with Melia'Ia, Empress!”

“No,” Elinor forced a sigh, gut tightening as the memory of this creature’s specter-like chill returned to her Undead heart that put quakes in her chest.  “Why are you here, Bacdeth?”

The golden ceremonial spear that was large enough for some of her Quen’Talrat to use hovered in the air; the smoking thurible at its butt swayed as the spear shifted the opposite direction, causing the metal censer to tap against the ground.

Her guard froze instinctively as the overwhelming presence of the creature encompassed them; it emerged out of the haze, its words like fingernails and cotton balls caressing their minds.  “I have come to spend some time with our newest addition—for peace and understanding,” it mused, voice flopping from female to male as the gold neck piece of a human face smiled.

Elinor couldn’t take her focus off the gaping mouth of countless teeth, writhing, vine-like tentacles of various sizes weaving in slow motions that could be the abomination’s head; dozens of black eyes moved along the disturbing appendages with a life of their own.

Time dilated around them as the rest of the figure materialized through the flaring incense; its torso still hidden behind a thick black cloak, two gray hands curled around its weapon, and the lower end of a grizzly hairless beast made its appearance.

Five hand-like jaws opened to reveal monstrous teeth of all sizes, and a low hum reverberated through Elinor’s core, soothing the initial horror by playing a feminine whisper through her being; its mind-grating existence eased from its initial impression upon their souls as if a void that spoke to the lost.

Her sophisticated and pulling voice left a hypnotic note ringing in the air.  “I do find this apparatus … captivating.”  A slight twist of its neck brought a sinister twist to the mask.  “Elinor, will you accept my help?  I only wish to understand the pulse in your breast.  Won’t you let me?”

When I thought I was finished with them, Elinor internally grumbled, attempting to keep her composure.  “If you’ll answer a few of my questions … truthfully.”

“Oh, how delightful!”  she chimed, voice swapping to male.  “I only speak the truth; where shall we begin?”


Maps:

Post Conquest

SME's Request:

I hope you've been enjoying the free entertainment!  The internet is divided into different echo chambers; you have a specific group that only hovers around specific sites/content.  So, by recommending my serials to others, you give it more exposure to different echo chambers and help it grow.  Ratings are excellent, Trending is terrific, but it only will appeal to a specific echo chamber.  If you like my content, then please share it in your own unique way.

Thank you!  ^_^7

Normal Plugs:

Discord Link - Growing Community =D

View and help contribute to the Wiki

Support me on Patreon and get up to:

+ 10 Chapters ahead in A Tail's Misfortune

+ 11 Chapters in The Oscillation

+ 10 Chapters in Undying Empire

+ 10 Chapters in PokéSync (Pokemon Fanfic)

+ Mystery Wednesday Patron Exclusives

- 8 Chapters in The Power Of Cuteness And Positivity

- 28 Chapter Soul's Requiem - Volume 1 Complete!

+ Access to Polls

+ All my commissioned artwork is up for free on my Patreon!

17