B3 — 44. Calm Before The Storm
261 8 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV:

1. Elinor Irkalla (Ereshkigal, The Sumerian Goddess Of The Dead!)

UE Compendium - Something Plague has been slowly building; if you want to help him, then jump on the discord or leave comments!  TY!

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

Xophque, Kite7, Andy, Comics, Ewekata, Kevin Nilsson, Mikayla, Caleb Bear, Onill007, and my other Patrons!


Excitement thumped in Elinor’s undead heart as she led the way back to the kitchens; Edmon had secured something beyond any worldly riches.  She had a little trickster songbird to chirp the secrets of these Primordial threats, as odd as this Celestial Titan was—if she was a Titan at all.

She tilted her head to see Thor’s distrustful glare at the woman, Apate walking on the opposite side of her to keep her distance from the God of Thunder, and the web of outcomes that this brought spun in her mind as she addressed the aurelian-eyed Titan.

“You will not speak falsities to Thor or me, Apate.  Understood?”  she commanded, leaving her enough wiggle room to express herself and not feel too confined; if she was going to cultivate a positive relationship with the God of Thunder, she’d need to include him.

“It’s whate—”

Thor swiftly interjected, grip tightening around Mjölnir.  “How doth thou know she did not deceive thee in thy binding, Lady Irkalla?”

Elinor’s smirk shifted to the uncomfortable woman.  “Self-preservation, Odinson.  Our little show bird here knew her situation was dire after failing to sink her claws into Edmon and, after being awoken to the shock of your strong presence, mixed with my own, a trickster of her ‘renown,’ as you claim, would know what her best option was… compliance.  Am I right?”

Agitated fingers adjusting her clothing now that the threat to her survival had somewhat diminished, Apate sighed.  “I haven’t met a god or goddess with the strength of will like yours, Lady Irkalla.  “It would be pointless, as weak as I am, to attempt such a thing when I failed against your servant.”

It was an attempt to flatter her, no doubt—even if true—making her snicker; so many fun things were happening.

Once satisfied with her outfit, the woman rubbed her slender neck.  “Agh—it feels… strange, not twisting my words as I usually do.  I’m sure Loki would agree with—no need for that look—I’m cooperating!”

Her heels tapped against the granite as she side-stepped at the dirty look Thor gave her.

“Keep my brother’s name away from thy lips, Harlot of Hera.”

“Rude.  Humph.  One favor and I am branded for life; have you forgotten that she still has my girdle?  What was I supposed to do when the Queen of Primordial Olympus hunted me down, cornered me, and ‘politely’ asked for my help in tricking her husband—refuse?  Hah.  How well did that turn out for most, I wonder?”

“Thou art a coward!”

“Of course I am; what would you expect?!”  Apate threw up her hands, shooting an incredulous look at the man.  “Thor and his rose-tinted glasses; your brother can do no wrong in his ‘strategic’ escapes, and that’s not cowardice, but Odin forbid I fear for my life in Primordial Olympus!  Have you been, Thor?  I think not!”

Elinor chuckled.  “I have not as well; so… why don’t you enlighten us; in my Existence, you were a Titan, Apate.  I am late to this ‘Primordial’ party; tell me, what is the difference between all of these terms—Celestial, Primordial, Supreme God, Titan, et cetera—there are so many factions that my fingers are twitching with excitement.”

Her illuminated emerald irises brightened as she turned to Thor.  “Mmm, I know!  Why don’t you test her honesty in how she responds.”

“I shall listen carefully to thy words, wretch; speak the truth.”

“Mmm-hmm-hmm,” Apate’s wine-tinted full lips tightened.  “Do you have to insult me in every sentence?  At least Lady Irkalla has shown me a modicum of respect and understanding; I much rather deal with her than a brute like you that knows nothing but the battlefield.”

“She does not know thy deceptive tongue yet!”  His demeanor somewhat faltered as his blue eyes drifted to her.  “Then again, thy tongue is that of a viper thyself, Lady Irkalla.”

“Hehe.  Best be cautious, Thor,” Elinor mused, tilting her head to shoot an innocent smile in his direction.  “Once we rescue Loki, think about all the fun conversations we’ll have!”

“Ugh…  I fear for my sanity.”

Apate chuckled at how she turned things around, quickening her pace to walk beside her.  Making the woman feel safe to open up was important; even if she was a slave, a willing slave that could find joy in their work was far more productive than an exhausting, unwilling mule that would kick against the prick at every opportunity.

“I am not technically a Celestial, Lady,” she happily stated, beginning to take an interest in the art in the massive hallways they moved through.  “I am the ‘Personification’ of a Celestial.”

“Nyx?”

“Yup.  My mother was the Celestial ‘Night,’ or Nyx, as many came to know her; there are only four true Celestials in the first generation from Chaos—of which all power was in… before the Celestial war came with the Primordial Gods, who stole much of their strength in the conflict.”

“Interesting,” Elinor whispered, noticing Thor keeping a close eye on the Trickster.  “Were these Celestials the foundation of Asgard?”

“We have nothing in common with Primordial Olympus!”

“Pfft…”  Apate snickered, looking away to not get burnt by his gaze.  “So naive.”

“What lies spin in thy mind?”

“I wonder,” the woman mused, holding her elbow behind her back as they walked.  “I will be the first to admit that I only know of the history of things after I was created—which predates your birth, Thor—but the fact we both know our ancestors to be called Celestials and how all the Primordial Realms united brings a lot of questions.”

She gave a short start, sending a slight smirk in his direction.  “Oh, forgive me, you don’t know anything regarding Asgard’s history before your father took control, nor anything about the building of the Great Framework with Yggdrasil as its foundation… but Loki does.”

“What doth thou insinuate, Deceiver?!”

The woman chuckled and shrugged.  “If I answered truthfully, I bet you’ll kill me on the spot, and I’d rather not be electrified to death.”

“I am done with thy words,” Thor growled, lightning sparking out of his eyes.

Elinor held up a hand to draw their attention; she’d gotten what she wanted, and antagonizing the man further wouldn’t help.

“We can move to another subject I believe you might enjoy, Thor.”

His rage simmered down as she played the balancing force between the two.

“Is that so…  What crafty direction doth thou intend to take this discussion?”

Apate’s brow furrowed at the look she gave her.  “Dammit…  Why do I feel like I’m not going to like this?”

“No need to worry!”  Elinor soothed.  “I’ve noticed you have a rather… unusual way of speaking compared to most godly entities I have conversed with, Apate.  Why don’t you tell us the story about how you managed to be here?”

“Hmm.”  Her focus drifted to Thor’s tightly gripped hammer.  “Uh… can I start after Atlas and Yggdrasil’s death?”

“Perfect,” Elinor nodded, filing away the information; it was a long walk to the kitchen, and the more time she could buy her cook, the better.  “Gather your thoughts if you need.”

At last, Thor reached the conclusion she’d been waiting for, and she could sympathize with his position; if her sister were to randomly show up and another tried to force them to make peace, it wouldn’t end well, which was why she’d tried to guide things in a way they could find common ground.

“Ugh…  Do you doubt Lady Irkalla’s powers, Thor?”  Apate rediverted with the man’s hounding glare.  “It’s hard to think when I fear my brain being splattered across the floor at any moment, not to mention what that may bring in this unknown insanity of an Existence.”

“Humph.  Thou can speak truth it would seem—declare it as such then—who is thy enemy?”

“Primordial Olympus,” she crisply responded, making Elinor smile.

“Doth thou see Primordial Asgard as thy enemy?”

“Only if you want to make me your enemy—such a stupid question—personally, I like your brother,” she added, choosing not to use his name after the previous threat.

“Hmm.  I will hold my peace… for now.”

The conclusion reaching a content medium, Elinor listened to the girl’s tale, which made Thor laugh and darkened the woman’s cheeks, and she was sure not much embarrassed Apate, but it certainly was an amusing revelation.

Being created by Nyx had its benefits it seemed, and when their Grand Existence had collapsed, she and many others were unable to make it to the evacuation—which she expected—and were tossed into the chaotic void her grandfather had come from.

Naturally, her physical form had been destroyed, but her spirit could weather the force for a time—and though she couldn’t tell how long it took—eventually, she’d been pulled into this Existence, to possess a rather sassy teenage girl—possessed might have been too strong of a strong word, though.

In her diminished and weakened state, she’d been more or less subdued by the human child’s growing spirit, and it was where her vocal mannerisms came from.

Sitting down to eat, Elinor refrained from the practice as the two stuffed their faces; Apate was as hardy in her appetite as the God of Thunder, but, luckily, the time she’d bought had allowed her cook to restock via the mountainous fortress.

She’d met Dolos when the girl she was possessing had made a trip to Italy with her parents, who had won some trip through a game show, and it was there that Seeds descended upon the planet.

Apate managed to utilize that to create this new body—not artificial—and rebuild her restoring powers; it was understandable why she’d be so protective of her new physical form if she’d been stuck inside a teenager for over three years, and a new bit of information made Thor and Elinor’s eyes narrow.

She hadn’t been alone when the Crystal appeared, trapping everyone inside, but this wasn’t an attacking force against Earth; Apate and the other gods around her were to be the aggressors.  All of the Greek deities present—from the Primordial Existence or others—were sent a clear message that none refused.

Elinor leaned forward, staring at a giant slab of meat that had been brought to the table, cut to allow them to set on their wooden plates.  “So…  Primordial Ares and Hera didn’t make it to this other Existence…”

“Powerful foes,” Thor muttered.  “Doth thou see thyself in conflict, Lady Irkalla?”

She interlocked her fingers to rest her chin on the back of her bridged hands.  “Hmm.  If Hera has rallied many of the lingering gods to her side and forced many under her banner, I suspect this world will not be big enough for multiple pantheons.

“Then… there is the issue of these Seeds we have been given; I cannot see many discarding them to return to the heavens without knowing the effect that would have…  Especially when they could give us more power than we previously had with the Eldritch scratching at the corners of this universe.”

“Ack—”  Apate choked on her meat, hand going to her breast.  “T-The what—you can’t be serious—who are you talking about?”

Thor stared into his mug with a grave nod.  “In our journey to this place, my brothers and I saw unspeakable Eldritch entities circling this vast stew of Existences; Loki devised a plan to allow us to slip past the many barriers enacted throughout its layers.”

Face going pale and apparently losing her appetite, the golden-eyed woman cleared her throat and hugged herself.  “Not… normal Eldritch—in the Lower-Realms—right?”

“None that I, nor my brothers could explain, and far beyond the scope of that which we have dealt with in our own sphere of influence.”

“The Mecroaf?”  Apate whispered, drawing Elinor’s interest.

“What do you know of them?”

“I don’t—just… in scouting the various places we could evacuate to…  It was not a place Primordial Olympus even considered.  After Iasion fell in favor with Zeus, he was sent on an errand to redeem himself by scouting the area, using Hecate’s magic as protection…  He never returned.”

“Hmm…”

They fell silent, and Elinor’s thoughts instantly went to Becdeth; she had so many things to consider, but much of that could be pushed back.  All she needed was to scope out the board, and from what Apate said, Olympus was setting their sights on a continent to their south.

Only weaker deities from other Existences were being stationed nearby, likely due to Demon’s machinations, and it made her question one other thing.

Vision narrowing, Elinor’s gaze lifted to the queasy trickster as she pondered her uncertain future.  “Who is Yesenia?  I’m sure you know who I’m talking about.”

Apate hissed at the name.  “Yeah…  She’s another reason why I volunteered to, uh, get out.”

Elinor’s tone darkened.  “Who?”

“Eh-heh.  Right, right,” she mumbled, fidgeting with her risque top.  “Umm…  I don’t really know, but she has taken command of the small network Hera left to scout out the area.”

“You don’t have a guess?”  Thor hummed.

“Hey!  You guys told me to be truthful, and I am; still, I like Lady Irkalla far better than how I was treated before, so…  I hope you aren’t just going to use me for my knowledge and dump me to starve in the dungeon, like Dolos…”

Rising to her feet, Elinor hid the cold daggers sharpening in her heart.  “Oh, I’ll be using you in many, many ways, Apate.  Hehe.  Someone of your talents and allegiance will be mandatory in the future, I am sure.  Now, Thor, can you be a darling and babysit our pretty trickster?”

“You would have me do what?!”  he barked, shooting to his feet, Apate right behind him.

“I’m not a child!”

Elinor slowed to a halt after a few steps.  “Hmm-hmm.  Don’t look so surprised; would you trust her in anyone else’s hands, Thor?  And, Apate, isn’t this the perfect opportunity to find common ground since we’ll be working together, hmm?”

“Thy words… do hold weight,” Thor admitted, suspicious stare on the woman.

“Ugh…  Fine.  I guess we can explore a bit.  You have a really amazing fortress, by the way—and wonderful cooks, might I add.  Hehe.  I think I could get used to this lifestyle.”

“Don’t get too comfortable,” Elinor warned.  “We’ll be leaving on a harsh journey in the coming days—yes, she will be joining us, Thor—can you tell me a trickster of her caliber will not help save your brothers?”

Apate’s lips lifted into a smirk as she scooted over to nudge the uncomfortable warrior.  “Ooh!  You’ll be handling the cracking skulls and I the guile, hmm?  I look forward to working with you for once, Asgardian!”

“Why hath thou mainly conscripted women, Lady Irkalla?”  Thor complained, firmly pushing the woman away.  “Hath thou an ulterior motive in such designs?”

“I would look to the Fates or Destiny,” Elinor chuckled, continuing on her way to leave the hall.  “I have a lot to do, hmm-hmm…  Now, be a good girl, Apate; I’d hate to come back to find Thor’s made a decoration out of you.”

“Yikes…  You’re not into that, umm, kind of thing?”

“Doth thou impune my character in suggesting such?!”

Elinor’s chest shook with mirth; intelligence he may have in battle, but that didn’t translate well to men that couldn’t read flirtatious hints.

“She’s playing games with you, Thor, and don’t try it, Apate; you’re not going to turn him into your knight in shining armor.”

“Eh-hehe.  Yet!”  she returned, eyeing Asgard’s Champion like the hunks of meat on the table.

“I will not be beguiled!  Thou aren’t a tool on my belt to be used when needed—not that…”

Leaving the pair to break more ice, Elinor hoped Thor would have learned at least a bit from their back and forths in dealing with women like Apate; her cheer soon diminished as she exited the dining hall.

Voukey.

“Yes, my most glorious Empress?”

Contact the shifter boy and have him prepare to leave for Shi’Shuka immediately, and carry Amra’Cora with you.  She paused beside the stairs, looking to the south, where Iris hunted.  You will remain nearby to support them and have Klaus inform the High Ruler of your stay nearby.

“I am already in flight to retrieve her!  Our mission is to recover the humans from inside the Seaweaver District?”

A part of it.  Things are changing rapidly, and soon Ishtar will take command of the operations moving forward around the wars to come; you will be busy in the coming months…  Yesenia has taken control of a small number of mortal deities, and to hold that much control…  she trailed off, rerunning through the possibilities flooding her mind.

The naga-like woman wasn’t Medusa, or she would have had far different abilities.  Only one chilling possibility came to mind.

Yesenia, a ruler over Storms, jailing the humans as if her prisoners?  Kampe is likely the foe you deal with—the warden of Titans—and I suspect such entities are hiding within the Nalvean Empire, rebuilding their strength.

Find them, and work from the shadows if you need to, get the humans away from her; there must be someone there she’s trying to keep from us.   I will have Azalea join you after the sisters have completed their task.

Also, inform the High Ruler that we thwarted a plot to kidnap his daughter, and she is safely in Nethermore.  We will conduct a thorough investigation as to her health with what resources we can spare.

“Our subtle war begins, Empress; my song will carry wide to the flocks I command!  We shall not fail you.”

I leave you in command.

A small smile lifted her eyes as Noa flickered into existence not far away, noticing her lingering exit and guessing she’d be needed.

“Excellent timing.  You have certainly made yourself into an invaluable member of my Empire.”

The hybrid Runic A.I. blushed, crescent eyes falling to the floor.  “I am delighted to finally be of use, as I was intended, and it has been wonderful to speak to my creator again.  How can I serve you?”

“What is the state of the supervolcano?”

“The major pressure points have been relieved, but many unintended consequences have come from it due to my inability to direct the release areas; my predictions of the fissures and damage to the valley have been merely 86% accurate.”

“Acceptable.  The fact that you managed it at all is a marvel.  Now, take me to the Tower and show me the damages; we will run through a general report of things in preparation for tomorrow.”

Runes enclosed her, but before the A.I. could start, Elinor had one last thing to confirm as the colossal windows of her bedchamber came into focus, giving her a full view of the valley she ruled.

“Which members of The Covenant are within Nethermore?”

“Umm…  So far as I know,” she tentatively stated, “after the contest, only Aidrh’ruz remains…  He has not left the conference room, yet Les’ndrassa did show herself.”

“Their conversation?”

“Unheard.”

“Hmm…”  Elinor started her slow pace around the vast room, hands held behind her back.  “Begin.”

The rising sun shot beams of light over the mist covering the valley, revealing a significant chunk of land that blazed with molten rock visible from her high vantage point.  All of the Ri’bot in the area were fleeing to the city, and Edmon would be making his way to the site to quell what he could before it grew out of control.

Toxic fumes hissed out of fissures created through Noa’s release of specific valves, and the A.I. expressed her concern for the Spider Sisters’ path through the maze of tunnels beneath the mountains, but Elinor was confident in their resilience and adaptability.

Noa didn’t have direct control over specific areas but designated pressure release valves that had vastly changed over the centuries they’d been built.

Lava could be seen running down several of the colossal mountains to their north, and Elinor could feel Quin and Valdar returning in haste, but, even as Undead, they wouldn’t make it back to the city for days, at which point Elinor planned to be gone—Ishtar would have to inform them.

She could sense her staff drawing in copious amounts of Life Energy, yet she had to wonder if it would be enough for what she required; holding the heavens open for even a few seconds—which would be far longer within the divine realm—would be testing, yet she had much to inquire and accomplish within.

Plans would change depending on how well the shattering of boundaries performed; already, she doubted one particular critical point that had to be substituted for a sub-optimal path, but it was crucial to her designs going forward, even if many would vehemently oppose what she would order her children to do—there could even be a revolt.

After hearing Noa’s report, Elinor paused to stare at the plateaus that hid the Maw—there were still many things to explore within—this world seemed to be hiding secrets in its very core involving the Shadowverse entity.

We are in unprecedented times, which requires a drastic change… and there are many plots my forefathers seem to have kept from me.  Apate has opened so many questionable things to consider—even if we do not hail from the same Existence—and her reaction to me…

Elinor could guess what the woman saw, yet having it spoken aloud wasn’t something she wanted in the open yet; everything tied back to her very creation as the ruler of Irkalla when she was chosen by Kur, the personification of the underworld itself, and fused with her to become its supreme judge and overseer.

Clearly, this didn’t happen to the Primoridal’s Existence, and Mesopotamia was of the Lower Realms.  Something significant happened that changed Erra and me; he has power and strength that my own version does not…

To think there would be duplicates of us in other Existences…  It makes one wonder if there is a true version above us.  Apollo is more powerful than anything I’ve encountered, and if I’m correct, these Seeds can build us to potentially rival that.

Elinor’s grip tightened around her left wrist.  So much to consider and plan for; first on the agenda, gather my children to meet this challenge, and force answers from the High Heavens that birthed me to fuse with Kur.

She turned her attention to the Nalvean princess after the report on the state of the runic grid and supervolcano.  Tal’tamine was waking up with the care the Maids were showing her, and there would need to be an extensive examination done by Tiffany when time permitted.

When it came to the Grand Ritualist, she was completing her job at a far swifter pace after inducting the Runic Gurus in her craft, allowing them to handle enhancing attributes to a greater degree than her witchcraft was currently able, such as transmitting voices across large distances.

The arcing sun moved across the sky as the hours of the day went on, and she went through the details Noa was able to gather.

Eventually, it came to an end, and she sent Aileen, the twelve-year-old Maid, to show Thor and Apate to their rooms as the Runic A.I. informed her of their after-feast fatigue; the pre-teen would likely soothe Thor’s temper.

Looking to the east, Elinor frowned, wondering what plots Erra had in store for her; she was nearly done with her preparations, which would allow her to meditate to focus her mind for the coming battle and climb into heaven to confront her host.

“Take me to Aidrh’ruz.”

Noa bowed her head, far more relieved by the hour as her stretched processors were allowed to slow, and she could relax a bit more.

Sitting in her chair at the head of the table when the floating symbols vanished, Elinor smiled at the abomination.  “Have you had time to consider all the lives I’ve lived yet?”

The swirling symbols on the creature’s massive lower arms and legs flashed as he turned his horned head to her, flaming crown flickering with his infernal eye-sockets.

“Irkalla… It has been… most educational,” he whispered, upper claws scratching the side of his monstrous jaws.  “You have taught me much as I have considered the complexity of your mind and actions throughout antiquity…  It has been humbling.”

“Hmm-hmm.  I’m glad you were able to come away from it molted in newfound wisdom.  What has changed for you?”

The Dream Eater’s fur bristled as he leaned to the side, spikes protruding from the hump on his back flexing in and out.  “There are forces far beyond what I imagined…  Many trials await the Covenant in the future with you within our ranks, and we would do well to consider the options you may provide to us.”

“Will you still sample a fragment of the Divine Dream?”

“I must if I am to push beyond where I am and achieve my own dream… to dream once more.”

Elinor leaned against the side of her throne with a small upwards tilt to her lips.  “You never know how much you value something until it is gone, and the taste it brings when allowed to savor it once more cannot be expressed in words.”

His crown flashed blue for a moment before returning to its orange flare.  “I will be ready with Becdeth and Les’ndrassa…  I have learned caution from you, Irkalla, and the realization fear must be overcome through exposure.  If I drift into the Nightmare, I will find my way back.”

“Excellent.  I expect nothing less…  After all, I still need you, Aidrh’ruz.  I sincerely hope you do not fail in your quest.”

  “Hehehe.  I as well, Irkalla.  I have not parsed through a fraction of your lives, yet I have become overwhelmed by the drive you radiate.  Happy slaughter.”

Returning to her feet, Elinor chuckled as she had Noa transport her to the Throne Room; Tiffany had recently completed the recorder and small projector that the Runic A.I. could transmit.

It took several more minutes for the items to be brought to the location with the Witch testing the product and making a few tweaks; Lucky coordinated with Gwen to gather everyone into the colossal square outside the palace, and Tiffany activated the projection.

“Citizens of Nethermore, allow me to properly introduce myself,” she stated, legs crossed with her fingers interlocked in her lap.  “I am the Supreme Goddess of Death Ereshkigal; I go by many names throughout various worlds and periods of time.

“As of now, you may know me as Empress Irkalla, and you are safe under my name.  Laws will be enacted, and any fears you have may be directed to Lucky, as has been the practice you have become accustomed to.

“Now, to the reason I have required all citizens attendance…  I march to war tomorrow—alone, without aid from anyone—gods and monsters observing my slaughter the same as you.  It will be broadcast for all to see, so I suggest you rest, for at noon tomorrow, you will bear witness to my power as Irkalla, the Supreme Judge of all Souls.

“Upon the conclusion of this battle, I will force open the heavens and march through its gates to be welcomed by my host; I will return with my younger sister, and she will take up the banner of Supreme Regent in the Undying Empire as I go to war alongside the God of Thunder, Thor.

“I do not require your faith, but if you do place your belief in this new world we are building, you will see fruit in it.  Many of you have already experienced a taste of that—the ability to speak languages you do not know, or seen what comes of faith in the rapid change of the members of the Argent Dawn.

“Ishtar, my little sister, has many powers, one of which is the capability to resurrect the dead, and should she prove herself worthy to take my seat as my regent, I will grant her that right once again.”

She stood, every word reinforced by steel.  “There is no need for hope or faith; my Empire will not fall, be it to Devils, Gods, or entities beyond them.   I am Irkalla, your Immortal Empress and Deity, and I do not lose.”

Signaling Tiffany to cut the feed, Elinor called for Sari’aél and the teens to be brought to her with her selected Maid to give her their answer; of course, she knew they couldn’t resist the offer.

Alisa, Sal, Valentina, and Adoncia were transported to stand before her on the ground level with the Seraph floating nearby, yet their attention was fixated on her.

“What have you four decided?”

Sal and Valentina were the first to jump forward, the tigress speaking first.

“I’ll do it!  I want to get stronger.”

“Me too,” the boy boldly stated, followed by his older sister and girlfriend.

“I would be honored to serve you on your journey, Empress.”

“I want to get stronger, too—I, umm, don’t know how much help I’ll be, but I promise I’ll keep up—I won’t slow you down!”

“Hehe,” Elinor smirked, causing the teenager’s brown eyes to fall to the ground as she fidgeted.  “You definitely will, Alisa, and there is no shame in it, but despite what you might think, it will be Adoncia who will have the most challenging experience.”

The black-haired Maid swallowed.  “I… will not falter in serving you, Empress.”

“It isn’t an issue as to your willpower…  It is whom you will be attempting to channel, but that can wait, as I do not believe there will be time to enact a direct link at this point.

“In any case, there is no returning once you each have made this decision—including you, Adoncia—you move forward, or you die… or get those you love killed.  Are you prepared to forge your own souls in the challenges that await us?”

“I am!”  Alisa affirmed, and Elinor could feel the anxiety in her Maid’s soul at the revelation, but she had to be made aware of the risks.

“Alright.  You will join Sari’aél and me on the battlefield to witness it firsthand; when things calm down, you will journey with Deities like Thor and Apate to join me in the heavens.  Sharpen your resolve; if you cannot stomach what I am about to do, you will not survive.”

They set their brows as Noa took them to the outer wall; Elinor couldn’t help a grin as the angel took them to the skies.  It was finally time to execute everything she’d set into motion.

It didn’t take long for her to reach the vast field, and the Seraph and teens attempted to emulate her focus as they stood in the knee-length grass; she had no doubt Thor and Apate would join the angel when they awoke, and they wouldn’t be alone as The Covenant observed.

Narrowed eyes on the darkening heavens, she kept careful track of the Life Energy her staff continued to absorb; she would wait until the last second to summon it to her side.

Night came, and with it came the illumination of the torches of over ten thousand Ri’bot, moving through the forest to gather along the edges of the treeline, the drums of war sounding with their march that sent quakes through the earth.

Every new line of soldiers with their mounts and armor showed a far superior general fighting force than the Valley Ri’bot she’d decimated the night before, and each strike the pounding drums made was mirrored by Elinor’s undead heart—she hadn’t felt this anticipation in what seemed an eternity—and a storm was on the wind.

Show me you can stare death in the face and not flinch, Great Chiefs; show yourself worthy of respect in Irkalla.


Maps:

Post Conquest

SME's Request:

I hope you've been enjoying the free entertainment!  The internet is divided into different echo chambers; you have a specific group that only hovers around specific sites/content.  So, by recommending my serials to others, you give it more exposure to different echo chambers and help it grow.  Ratings are excellent, Trending is terrific, but it only will appeal to a specific echo chamber.  If you like my content, then please share it in your own unique way.

Thank you!  ^_^7

Normal Plugs:

Discord Link - Growing Community =D

View and help contribute to the Wiki

Support me on Patreon and get up to:

+ 10 Chapters ahead in A Tail's Misfortune

+ 11 Chapters in The Oscillation

+ 10 Chapters in Undying Empire

+ 10 Chapters in PokéSync (Pokemon Fanfic)

+ Mystery Wednesday Patron Exclusives

- 8 Chapters in The Power Of Cuteness And Positivity

- 28 Chapter Soul's Requiem - Volume 1 Complete!

ATM Rewrite As Chapters Release

Chapters In Mystic:  My First Attempt At A Male Protag Isekai

+ Access to Polls

+ All my commissioned artwork is up for free on my Patreon!

13