RTYY 160 – A Very Long, Tiring Conversation
192 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wen1Literally wen (sun). Name of one of the three Empires, Wen, Ran and Sen. (Sun, Moon and Star). Also used as surname by the members of the Imperial Family with ascending rights to the throne FeiWan2Literally fei (raging / furious) + wan (fire) halted for a moment, straightening his clothes, making sure everything was in its place. With a second thought he glanced back at the servant that had followed him there. He had carefully instructed him on what to do, how, and when. The serious, focused expression that the young man carried on his face reassured him that everything would go according to plan.

Turning towards the white, stone path, he took a deep breath before resuming walking.

It had been sixteen years since he had last set foot in that place. Sixteen years, and his heart still beat faster against his chest, memories he had chosen to forget mercilessly returning to haunt him. He hated the White Pavilion. In fact, all these years, he had done his best not to even cross its gates. Who would have guessed that he would actually end up going there willingly?

The clear sound of a flute reached his ears not long after. A lonely, beautiful sound he knew all too well, and that successfully erased his dark thoughts, helping him focus on the task at hand.

Before, when he had stayed with the Demon Clan, since it was forbidden to carry weapons or use any kind of power within their peaceful village, with nothing better to do, he had spent entire afternoons hearing CalRinRan3Literally cal (bright) + rim (cold) + ran (moon) play. That is until he got completely bored out of his mind. Then he had enjoyed doing everything in his power to make sure that the distinguished CalDai4 Literally cal (bright) + dai (light). Unlike the Empires, the Dragon Clan has no royalty. They have a Leader. CalDai is a personal title (not inherited), and it refers to the youngest son of the Leader, reason why ZaiWin and the others sometimes refer to him as a prince (which he is not). couldn’t play anymore, hoping that once he put down his flute they could actually do something fun for a change. Which obviously had never happened.

Even though he had looked at least as young as FeiWan, CalRinRan, or CalDai, like the grown-ups respectfully called him, was the most boring, most serious, most silent person he had ever known! All he did the entire day was read, collect herbs, carefully file the collected herbs, take notes about their proprieties, and play that damned flute! Even when practicing his fighting skills, he would never accept FeiWan’s challenges, only fighting against other youths of his Clan. In fact, none of them had ever paid him much attention. FeiWan had almost been driven completely insane by the time he was finally allowed to return home.

Even though back then he had pretty much hated the sound of that damn flute, now he couldn’t help finding it strangely nostalgic.

Placing a renewed smile on his lips, he raised his head and crossed the white gates leading to the White Pavilion grounds.
It didn’t take him long to find him, sitting on the white gazebo’s railing, his back against its plain, marble column, a shiny flute made of crystal in his elegant hands.

Built to accommodate Imperial guests, the White Pavilion was, like the name said, white; from the doors to the walls, even the furniture, drapes and carpets included. Apparently that was so that none of the illustrious guests would take offense at not finding the colors of their Clan splattered all over the walls or, seen from another point of view, take offense at being housed in accommodations decorated with some other Clan’s colors. All ridiculous considerations, as far as FeiWan was concerned. But things had been like this long before he had been born, and would probably remain so, long after he had departed from that world.

When he had been a child, the White Pavillion had been home to the Governess of Nox5 Literally nox (night). Nox is the name of the Clan (family name), also the name of a Province. ZaiWin uses it because he is the Governor of Nox, NimTar6Literally nim (gentle) + tar (wind), her Tien’Elhar7Literally tien (Heaven) + el (supreme) + har (girl child). The Heavenly Beings also known as Celestials in the common language., and her only son. Why she had been housed there instead of the Silent Night Pavilion, the Pavilion destined to accommodate the representatives of Nox, was something FeiWan had never been able to understand. Sure, when NimTar had entered the Palace she had been just NimTar, another Chosen One. But from the moment the El’Dur8Literally el (supreme) + dur (ruler). Name given to the Emperor had acclaimed her as the new Governess of Nox, she should have been immediately moved to the Silent Night Pavilion. That had never happened, though. And so she had lived amongst those white walls until the day she had died, her blood turning the pure white floors deep-red. He had heard that it had taken them months, until it was spotlessly cleaned again.

Now, that same white, plain, severe-looking Pavilion was full of equally white, plain, severe-looking people, he considered with irony. And so, seeing CalRinRan sitting on the white gazebo, his long white hair cascading down his back, his equally white gown flowing gently towards the ground, was almost like seeing a ghost or some netherworld apparition. At least the grass beneath his feet was green, he grunted, making his way towards him.

Noticing his presence, the Demon Clan’s CalDai lowered his flute, the crystalline sound dying on his lips, and swiftly and soundless stood up, to await his arrival.

Plastering a smile on his face, Feiwan climbed the two steps leading to the gazebo. But his smile immediately froze on his lips when the CalDai took both hands to his forehead and bowed to him in the respectful way of his people, all prime and proper, and annoyingly formal.

“Please, no need for that,” he immediately told him, quickly pulling himself together. If he couldn’t even break through those annoying formalities, how was he supposed to get him to relax enough that they could actually talk like normal people did? “We are no strangers, after all.”

Straightening his back, CalRinRan lowered his arms and faced him with those impassive gray eyes.

“If the El’Gin9Literally el (supreme) + gin (gold). Name given to the male children of the Emperor. Could be translated into prince in the common language. says so.”

His voice was soft, almost a whisper.

Shit! FeiWan hated people like him the most! He could easily deal with threats, shouts, attempts on his life, even the usual Palace intrigues. But this …! This completely ruined his momentum!

“Of course!” he quickly replied, forcing himself not to lose his joyful, carefree demeanor, purposely adopting a more familiar tone. “Did you wait long?”

“I did not.”

“Please, have a sit,” he offered, gesturing towards the table and chairs placed in the gazebo at his request, and CalRinRan silently obeyed, delicately pushing a chair and practically floating down onto it. How a tall, grown-up man could move as fluidly and silently as he did was something that had always baffled FeiWan.

He had come alone, FeiWan realized, giving another quick glance around. Which was good. He wouldn’t have to worry about their conversation being overheard. It also showed that he felt relatively safe in his presence, or at least FeiWan hoped it did.

Taking the chair in front of him, he gestured his servant to leave and go perform his tasks.

“Today I have brought a special blend of herbs for our tea. My mother made a point of personally mixing them herself, hoping you would enjoy it.”

“The noble Janwan10Literally jan (flower) + wan (fire). Could be translated as Concubine. is too kind.”

FeiWan’s lips twitched. That was going to be a very long, very tiring conversation. And yet, even though CalRinRan’s curt replies and the long silences between them disturbed him, his guest seemed completely at ease, his gaze downcast, as if he couldn’t care less. FeiWan had the impression that he would be sitting exactly like that, even if he wasn’t there. Well, he would probably be playing his flute, he corrected, and smiled when he found a new, useful topic of conversation.

“That melody you were playing. You used to play it back at your village. I still remember it.”

Good, good! Insert even more familiarity. Make sure to remind him that they did knew each other from way before. Damn! Once he had even managed to pester the always dignified, always proper CalRinRan so much, that he had actually gotten angry, throwing him out of a window with his freaky power. Luckily they had only been on a second floor, and FeiWan had managed to decelerate his fall by violently scorching the ground beneath him. Of course they had both been severely punished afterward, since they had used their powers inside the village. Not that it had been his fault! But the Elders just wouldn’t listen to any of that. The rules were the rules, and they had to be obeyed. And so yes, he had sucked it up and endured three days without food, locked inside some stinky, tiny, dark cave. His only satisfaction had been the knowledge that the righteous CalRinRan had to endure just as much, stuck in the cell right next to his.

Bringing him back to those times would most certainly break that icy wall.

“The El’Gin truly has a good memory.”

What? That was it?

FeiWan frowned. If he didn’t know any better he would have thought that he had greatly offended his highness, the great CalDai! And there he was, trying so hard to be friendly and polite.

“So, how was your trip all the way from Pon11Literally pon (mountain). Where Pon is the name of the Clan, also the name of a Province.?” he asked, choosing to change the subject, trying a more direct approach.

“It was acceptable.”

Ah! That one had been expected, he complimented himself.

“When I heard about what had happened … I was truly worried about your wellbeing, and of that of your people,” he declared and, for the first time, the CalDai raised his gaze to look straight at him.

A shiver ran down FeiWan’s spine and he had to force himself not to lose his smile. Too much?, he wondered.

“We are grateful for the El’Gin’s concern,” he politely replied and, for once, his monotone reply made FeiWan almost sigh in relief.

“There is nothing to be grateful for. I know it has been several years since I left your village. But I still remember how kind and gracious you all were, doing your best to accommodate my needs during my stay there." Except when they mercilessly punished him for his incurable irreverence, of course! "That a few misguided members of our people dared put your lives in danger for mere profit is beyond unacceptable. I am glad we were able to reach you in time and that no harm has befallen any of you.”

CalRinRan simply nodded. Simply nodded! And then lowered his gaze again.

Not even a freaking word? FeiWan was starting to have a hard time finding new things to say.

Thankfully, at that moment, his servant returned, followed by two other girls that, by their white clothes, were stationed in the White Pavilion. They carried silver trays on their hands and quickly set the table for them. A tea-set made of the finest porcelain that FeiWan had specifically selected for the occasion, the delicate teacups hand-painted with golden leaves motifs. A plate with some of Wen’s delicacies, he had ordered from the most famous pastry cook in town. And, of course, the sweet-scented tea that Hen12Literally hen (heal). Where Hen is the name of the Clan, also the name of a Province. KimLay13Literally Kim (perfume / scent) + Lay (seed) had specially blended for them.

When his servant filled their cups it’s aroma immediately spread through air, evoking a relaxing, pleasant atmosphere.

Having perfectly preformed his duties, his servant dismissed the other two girls and, bowing respectfully, stepped back to stand far enough to be out of hear-reach, but still close enough for FeiWan to call upon him should he need him.

With a renewed smile on his face, FeiWan gestured towards the teacups.

“Please.”

CalRinRan nodded once and picked up his teacup, his long, delicate-looking fingers curving around the thin porcelain. His back very straight, he raised the teacup to his lips and took a deep breath and … hesitated, FeiWan noticed, since he had been closely studying his every movement. His face remained that cold, unchanged mask, but somehow his eyes darkened.

Was he afraid that he might try to poison him?, was the first thing that crossed FeiWan’s mind. No. That could not be. As far as he knew the Demon Clan’s members were all extremely resistant to poison, and he had personally seen CalRinRan calmly taste a few leaves that would have killed any other man on the spot. Even so, trying to erase any second thoughts he might be having, FeiWan thought it better to take the lead and calmly took a seep from his own teacup.

The thing was … beyond bitter!, he concluded, doing his best to hold back his grimace, wanting to stick his tongue out and shout for his servant to quickly get him some water so that he could rinse the terrible taste away.

When he realized, CalRinRan was also drinking from it, his face showing nothing as he placed his cup back on the table.

“Very delicious.”

Really? How could it be? That tea was simply too foul to describe! And he couldn’t help asking himself if his mother was really trying to help him or if she was secretly plotting his demise behind his back!

And then he did not know what to say again. Well, screw that!, he decided. He might as well ask what he wanted to know and be done with it!

“I understand you met the Lun Calzai14Literally lun (black) plus cal (bright) + zai (blade), or Blade of Light. It can be translated in common language as Black General, one of the military leaders of the Empire. Each Province has it’s own Calzai. To distinguish them they were given different colors. The Lun Calzai refers to Nox ZaiWin from Nox.?”

CalRinRan nodded.

“The Governor of Nox was most helpful.”

So he knew that much, FeiWan concluded, playing with his teacup, trying to find the best way to guide their conversation towards his goals.

“And yet he did not accompany you to our gates,” he pointed out, making it sound as a critic. “I hope you can forgive this grave misconduct.”

“There is nothing to forgive. Before we left he made a point to explain why he could not accompany us.”

“Is that so?”

Another awkward silent moment.

“We heard news that he had traveled to Wei15Literally wei (crystal / precious stone). Wei is the name of the Clan (family name), also the name of a Province.. But we have completely lost contact with him since then. The El’Dur has been worrying about his whereabouts. I suppose he didn’t tell you where he was going next?”

“That he did not.”

“And the child?”

CalRinRan’s fingers twitched slightly at that, but he quickly covered it up by picking his teacup again.

“The child we heard about, the one they say has killed more than one-hundred men. Is it really a member of your Demon Clam like the reports say?”

“He is one of us, yes,” CalRinRan declared, his expression flawless, his voice as flat and unemotional as always.

A ‘he’, then. Not a ‘she’. So, like FeiWan had suspected, obviously not a Tien’Elhar.

“So why would he go to Wei, instead of coming to Wen with the rest of you?”

Drinking another long seep of tea that left the hair on FeiWan’s arms standing on edge, CalRinRan delicately put down his cup and raised his gaze to look straight at him again.

“That we cannot tell. We suppose he had his reasons.”

FeiWan’s smile immediately disappeared.

“You can’t? Or you won’t?”

The cold, gray eyes kept staring straight at him, an icy barrier FeiWan was obviously unable to breach.

“Is there a difference? Should my answer be that I am not willing to discuss this matter any further?”

FeiWan almost gapped in outrage at that open defiance. It took all the self-restraint he possessed to dismissively wave his hand and laugh it off.

“Really! Always so serious! You haven’t changed at all!” he declared, a provocative gleam dancing in his green eyes, and CalRinRan lowered his gaze again, releasing him from his uncomfortable stare.

“The same cannot be said about the honorable El’Gin,” he declared and, somehow, FeiWan thought he heard a hint of disappointment in his otherwise smooth, untempered voice.

“Well, I suppose that it is to be expected. I am not a child anymore.”

He laughed again and saw him raise that foul teacup to his lips. Apparently his mother had been right. He really liked that dreadful thing!

“Have you decided when you’re leaving?” he asked, wanting to know how many days he still had to try and pry some more information out of him.

“Not yet. But soon.”

“Well, you’re probably going to be busy these next few days. After all, it is not every day the Palace receives such an important representative of the Demon Can,” FeiWan declared, grabbing the opportunity to flatter him a bit. Not that he had any hopes that doing so would work. But still, it wouldn’t harm to try, right? And, on that point … “For instance, I heard my brother invited you to an evening meal,” he skillfully added. Why he had brought that up, however, was something FeiWan could not understand.

Then again, CalWan was well known for fencing beautiful people, no matter if they were female or male. And, looking at CalRinRan, with his long white hair and fair complexion, he couldn’t help think that there probably wasn’t anyone more beautiful than him in the entire Palace. He almost chuckled. Could it be that while he was worrying about possible marriage alliances CalWan16Literally cal (bright) + wan (fire) was actually trying to get his hands on the Demon Clan’s CalDai? Should FeiWan warn him?

“Yes. The first El’Gin was kind enough to invite us,” CalRinRan simply replied, his indifferent expression unchanged.

Now that was really annoying!, FeiWan frowned. If CalWan was the first El’Gin that made him what? The second? He knew that the Demon Clan used that way to name their descendants, and that was the only reason why he didn’t openly correct him. In Wen there were no first or second, or third El’Gin or El’Lin17Literally el (supreme) + lin (silver). Name given to the female children of the Emperor. Could be translated into princess in the common language.. No matter their age, as long as they were Chosen by a Tien’Elhar, they all stood on equal footing regarding their right to ascend the throne.

Seeing that CalRinRan had finished his tea, FeiWan sighed. His time had run out.

“Well, I do hope you enjoy yourself this evening,” he told him with a polite smile. “Shall we meet again tomorrow? I guess the same hour will be fine,” he quickly added, so he wouldn’t have the chance to refuse his request, and CalRinRan raised his gaze to look at him. For a moment FeiWan thought he was going to say something else, probably outright reject his pseudo-invitation, but then he simply nodded.

“I shall be waiting.”

With a renewed smile on his face, FeiWan rose from his chair, a gesture that CalRinRan immediately mimicked, and lightly bowed his head.

“I will see you tomorrow, then.”

Taking both hands to his forehead, CalRinRan bowed respectfully, only straightening his back when he heard the El’Gin’s footsteps cross the gazebo towards the white path.

Ah, poor FeiWan ... ?

6