RTYY 035 – First Duel
747 9 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When they finally reached their destination, ZaiWin1Literally zai (blade) + win (chaos). couldn’t help gape in astonishment. The sound of raging water filled his ears and he had to tilt his head back to be able to look up at the huge waterfall to their left. The water fell with such strength and volume, jumping from stone to stone, that it turned completely white, small rainbows forming here and there. So much water, when his Nox2Literally nox (night). Where Nox is the name of the Clan, also the name of a Province had close to none.

Floating on the wide river at the bottom of the waterfall a few, rather small, wooden platforms had been placed, constantly wavering and shifting as the water ran past them. Cutting the rushed flow of the water were also some larger rocks that, completely wet, glistened under the sun.

“This will be the arena for your first matches!” one of their guides shouted so that everyone could hear him above the roaring sound of the waterfall. “In this black bag there are eight rocks painted with four different colors. You are to chose one!”

As to be expected FeiWan3Literally fei (raging / furious) + wan (fire) was the first to step forward, blindly sticking his hand inside the bag and taking out a blue rock. Two of the other boys quickly followed his example.

Since no one else seemed to want to to take their turn, GinWan4Literally gin (golden) + wan (fire) standing to one side absentmindedly watching the waterfall, ZaiWin took a deep breath and stuck his hand inside the bag, praying all along that his stone would be any color but blue. As he pulled it out a deep relief washed over him at the sight of bright red.

One of the other boys had also pulled out red, he noticed, immediately focusing on the combat ahead, trying to gather as much information as possible about his opponent.

“Yellows, please step forward!” one of the Calzai5Literally cal (bright) + zai (blade), or Blade of Light. It can be translated in common language as General, one of military leaders of the Empire. Each Province has it’s own Calzai.’s men demanded once everyone had taken their turn, and FanSai and the girl obeyed, each holding their swords. “You are not allowed to touch anything outside the river’s limits. You can use whatever stand you deem useful as long as it is in the water. If you want to give up all you have to do is shout I surrender! Any questions?”

They both shook their heads, the girl obviously nervous, her hand shaking as she squeezed her sword.

“As a handicap I will not move from the place where I will be standing on once the duel begins. Is that suitable?” FanSai6Literally fan (grass) + sai (happy). asked in a calm, detached voice, and the girl blushed, nodding.

“You may take your positions!”

At the sound of those words FanSai nimbly jumped into the river landing on the closest boulder. From there he jumped again, from wooden platform to wooden platform, until he reached one floating in the middle of the river, his entire body swaying in every direction, up and down. Still his stance was firm, his legs flexed, his sword raised, almost as if he and the wooden board beneath his feet were one and the same.

Taking a deep breath and with a resigned expression on her face, the girl tried to mimic him but immediately almost fell, slipping on the smooth surface of the first rock she landed on.

Forget not moving from where he stood. Even if FaiSan weren’t holding a sword, it was clear that Calza's man was way stronger than her.

“Such a shame we won’t be crossing swords this round,” FeiWan whispered, standing right next to ZaiWin, leaving him tense and holding his breath. “But looking at your dumb expression I can see you’re actually relieved, you useless coward,” he sneered and ZaiWin forbade himself to acknowledge his presence in any way, focusing on the duel about to begin. “Nothing would give me more pleasure than to wipe the floor with your face.”

“Begin!” shouted one of the Calzai’s men when the girl finally managed to stand somewhat still on one of the platforms and, just as he’d declared, FanSai just stood there, unmoving, waiting.

The girl tried to balance herself, arms flying back and forth, the sword looking more like a huge stick in her hands than a noble weapon.

Stumbling forward, she took advantage of the motion to grab her sword with both hands and jump. Shouting more out of desperation than in an attempt to sound threatening, she did her best and tried to attack her opponent.

FanSai barely spared a glance her way, swinging his sword in an ascendant circle. The clash of the two blades reverberated louder than the waterfall, making those who stood watching cringe in reflex. As to be expected, the girl immediately released her sword, the shock probably hurting her hands and arms, and both girl and sword flew back, falling heavily in the water.

She was under for a few moments before finally bubbling to the surface, coughing and spitting, her bronze hair completely messed up, long strands falling over her face. Looking up at her opponent, still standing on his wooden platform as if nothing had happened, she scowled angrily, her cheeks red from embarrassment, but she didn’t dare utter a single word of complaint.

“FanSai, plus one point. MinXin7Literally min (fast) + xin (rain)., minus one point,” one of the men standing with them called out, and MinXin glared at FanSai one last time before swimming back to shore.

Had she expected FanSai to take pity on her because she was of noble birth and a girl on top of that?, ZaiWin wondered, watching her angrily pull her hair from her face. Of the shiny ornaments she’d worn before only one golden leaf had remained, her bronze hair now completely tangled.

In what world did she live in? To think that a soldier of common origins would pass on the opportunity to beat up a noble when it was freely presented to him? She was lucky he hadn’t broken her arm, or made sure she ended up with a bleeding nose. He supposed that FanSai, like the other two who had joined the competition, was under strict orders regarding injuring the other contestants. But then he didn’t have to ask what world she lived in, he sighed, watching her crawl out of the water all prideful and indignant.

“Pathetic!” FeiWan, still at his side, snorted, louder than it was necessary, and the girl immediately turned, obviously ready to respond in kind. But the moment she saw who had spoken her face went immediately ashen and she shut her mouth, averting her gaze.

The same way he’d taken his place at the center of the lake, FanSai jumped back to shore and silently took his place next to the other participants.

 

At first I thought this Yu Calzai and his men were all going to be a bunch of bastards, all there to bully my MC, but they're all kind of okay. Cold and uncaring, as if they couldn't care less, but not bad in the sense of "bad, lets kill them all". I was actually a bit surprised. ?

 

 

12