RTYY 064 – To Touch what Must not be Touched
414 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Snow blinked and relaxed, or tried to. He now knew where he was, though he still didn’t like it. Not the place as a whole, and much less the luxurious red bedroom around him.

“Get dressed. We’ll leave as soon as ZenTar1Literally zen (silent) + tar (wind) comes back with breakfast.”

Nodding, Snow slid out of bed wearing only his linen braies that reached just above his knees and searched around for his clothes.

“There.”

Looking back, Snow followed the hand pointing at the red velvet bedroom bench placed at the end of the bed and frowned, noticing the dark-blue and silver fabric carefully folded there. He didn’t have to touch it to know that it would feel smooth and fresh. He also didn’t need to unfold it to know that it would be more women's clothes.

“Just put it on,” ZaiWin2Literally zai (blade) + win (chaos). added noticing his obvious displeasure. “We’ll visit the Temple today. They know who I am and I have no way to cleverly justify dragging some brat around when I’ve brought just a few men with me to begin with. You’re too short to pass for an adult man, much less a soldier. But it won’t be a problem to have you pass for a woman. And no one will think twice about the fact that I decided to get myself some temporary company. Besides it will play to our advantage when we meet the Jundai3Literally jun (work / worker) + dai (light). Or Workers of Light, or in service of the Light. Name given to the priests and priestesses of the Temple..”

Snow’s frown deepened, but he still grabbed the soft dress and pulled it over his head.

ZaiWin couldn’t help smile at his obvious deeply annoyed expression.

Having carefully chosen that particularly piece, ZaiWin was glad to see that he had chosen the right size. Walking around in a dress three sizes larger could go unnoticed under the shadows of the night, but never out in broad daylight.

With a simple cut, the dress slid gently down the boy’s body, the hem of the skirt pooling around his ankles. Since it was meant to be worn by a man, ZaiWin had made sure to choose a dress with a higher neckline, but not so high that it would actually envelop his neck. The brat had worn enough collars to last him for a life time as it was.

Well, it didn’t look great, he thought giving him a once-over. Which was kind of a pity, since the dress was rather beautiful, in an elegant, simple way. But there was nothing anyone could do about that, since the one wearing it was completely deprived of a woman’s delicate and sensuous curves. At least he wasn’t the muscular type, or the whole thing would have been a complete nightmare.

Seeing him frustratingly trying to tie the several satin laces that closed the dress over his back, ZaiWin sighed and finally got up to help him.

And there was another aspect that was completely unlike any other Celestial, he thought, his gaze inevitably falling on the beautiful silvery markings covering the boy’s back, as they glistened softly with every move he made. No Celestial would ever willingly allow others to see their daitai4Literally dai (light) + tai (mark), or Holy Markings, considered Heavenly Blessings. They’re the source of power..

Unlike his or any other people’s, Celestials’ daitai were considered to be holy, and could only be seen by the Jundai and their Chosen One. As for touching them, only Jundai were allowed to do so, and only a few selected ones at that. The brat in front of him, however, acted as if he’d completely forgotten all about their existence, even though he had clearly warned him to be careful and to not let others see his back. That was the real reason why ZenTar had left, he knew.

Raising one hand, because he knew he wasn't supposed to, ZaiWin pressed it against his soft skin, making him jump with a startle. Still the brat didn’t avoid him, or tried to escape him, simply turning his head to look at him with a complaint written all over his face.

He really had forgotten, ZaiWin concluded with a light annoyance. He would shiver and back away at the mention of blood, or of being tied up. But he was completely defenseless and unaware where the daitai that made him and identified him for who he was were concerned.

“Turn around! I’ll tie it for you.”

The silent complaint gone from his face, Snow obeyed and waited.

Lightly sliding his fingers down his back, ZaiWin started to tie the first ribbon from the bottom up.

From the few times he’d actually touched him, the brat’s skin always felt cool, more cold than warm, probably a side effect from his affinity to ice and snow. Whoever had named him had either been very intuitive or witnessed what he could do.

“Once we get to the Temple we will meet a Jundai,” he thought better to warn him in advance. “Do you know what a Jundai is?”

A shake of his silvery head was all the answer he got.

“Hmm, commoners call them Priests and Priestesses. They are believed to received direct messages from the Heavens, and they are tasked with guiding the people towards the righteous path of enlightenment. Whatever that means,” he added in a sarcastic grunt. “Anyway, I will consult with a Jundai regarding your case,” he declared and Snow’s shoulders immediately stiffened. “I want to know if you’re really what they say you are.”

Snow lowered his head, his shoulders slumping.

“I want to know too …” he whispered and ZaiWin couldn’t help feeling slightly proud of his answer.

“However, I do not want her to know that you’re … different. Which means you cannot let her realize that you’re a boy. Do you understand?”

Snow nodded slowly.

“You cannot reply to any of her questions. I’ll do the talking. And you must keep your head covered at all times.”

Another nod.

“She will probably offer to take you in, and will try to convince you that it’s for your own good that you should stay in the Temple. I will not speak ill of her, but I will tell you that the Temple and all their Jundai are not to be trusted. And I know you don’t trust us either, and you’re right not to do so. But no matter what your thoughts regarding this matter might be, I will not allow you to stay with them. Do you understand?”

Snow nodded again, but this time ZaiWin made him turn around, his hands completely covering his shoulders.

“Say it!”

Snow looked up into his blue eyes. Sure, he still retained the form of a man. But, somehow, those blue eyes in that cold, unfeeling face looked much scarier than when they were simply there, glowing amongst a dark mass of nothingness.

“I understand.”

“Good. Don’t force me to turn what has every potential to be a pleasant, social visit into a blood bath.”

Snow averted his gaze just so he didn’t have to stare into that icy expression any longer. He didn’t dare doubt his words, not for one second. Because even though he now looked like a man, Snow knew better than anyone the black monster he really was.

It wasn’t long before they were finally back on the streets, Snow’s hand perched on ZaiWin’s folded arm as if he were some frail lady. At least they had allowed him to wear his cloak, he sighed, grateful for the hood that covered his head and shadowed his face. And this dress was much easier to walk in than the one he’d been forced to wear the previous night, fitting him perfectly. But he still wished he could have worn his large, comfortable traveling clothes.

After their previous conversation and all those warnings and threats, Snow had thought they’d be heading to some large, imposing Temple. But the streets they turned to, with ZenTar showing them the way, were increasingly less frequented and dark, the houses smaller and in a progressively worse state, some looking even abandoned. Not to mention that the air smelled worse at every turn.

They stopped in front of a two-storey building. The old wooden front door was cracked and hanging from its hinges, probably impossible to close.

After glancing back at them, ZenTar dove into the darkness inside and, like before, ZaiWin held his arm, making Snow walk in front of him.

Snow blinked and squinted, trying to get used to the general darkness, until he realized that it wasn’t completely dark. ZenTar held a bright warm flame on the palm of his hand, and it emitted enough light to allow them to see where they were going.

Right in front of them a narrow flight of stairs led to the second floor, and to their right were two gaping openings where other two doors should have been. The first door was now on the floor, completely covered in dust. The other was completely gone. Probably someone had found it useful and had taken it away. Both rooms were immersed in complete darkness, which wasn’t a surprise, taking into account that the windows they’d seen from the outside had been completely boarded up.

Without a word, ZenTar turned to the stairs and started climbing, and ZaiWin nudged him on the back to follow him.

The stairs creaked and complained under their feet, some flexing dangerously, threatening to give in at any moment. They led to a narrow corridor, so narrow that ZenTar’s shoulders almost brushed the old, stained walls.

They walked by one door to the right and one to the left, both firmly shut, until they arrived at a third door, also on the right. One that had obviously been broken down by force some time ago, the large wood splinters still spread all over the place.

Following ZenTar inside, Snow couldn’t take another step, his feet suddenly glued to the old, stained floor.

 

Hi there!!

So sorry for the late update. These last two days have been kind of chaotic, with lots of work, and so I've been more dead than alive! Hopefully I finally managed to reorganize things! So, enjoy the reading! ^_^

10