Chapter 3 – 4 | The City of Realight Part 2 (4)
652 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once I concentrate, I notice there’s a strange energy filling the air and flowing towards me. This is probably mana. It almost feels alive in a way. Rather than fight it I allow my mana absorb skill to draw in the atmospheric energy to me. Cheshyr said mana exists in all living things but I think it even exists in the air that we breath. There’s so much that even as I absorb more and more, mana constantly comes in to fill the empty space.

In my status, the mana number is going crazy like a counter that is glitched. The numbers rise uncontrollably. Come to think of it, I created the mana skills mana regen and mana absorb, but I never specified if there was a limit. Mana keeps growing in my body but there’s no sign of it on the outside.

There’s a change in the skills list, mana regen, mana absorb, and mana sense changed into one singular skill called Mastery of Mana. It says it’s a composite skill formed by combining similar skills.

In this world skills are the result of training to gain mastery over a talent. Gaining a skill means growing in experience and acquiring talents, except I can just create them effortlessly. It doesn’t seem like there’s a restriction for what skills I can make.

Let’s see, how about I make a skill like Basic Elements Magic. It’s a composite skill that is a combination of magic like fire elements and others that naturally exist. Things like fire, water, wind, earth, light, dark, and all the elements that can be made through magic fall under the Basic Elements Magic skill. And with this skill I can weave customized spells.

Becca Blowtorch.

I try out a spell that I envisioned based on the blowtorch technology of my former world. A blowtorch could emit a high temperature flame that was controlled like a beam. It’s a relatively low-danger kind of magic that won’t explode in my face if I fail to control it.

A flare bursts from my extended fingertip and a fire around my finger width emerges. This magic in reality uses mana to fuel the burner, but that’s just a small detail.

Cheshyr What kind of magic is that? I’ve never seen such a pure flame, it actually seems controlled to an extent. I don’t know how you managed it but you actually cast magic. Not bad for a first timer.

I’m relieved that Cheshyr doesn’t notice how strange it is that I started using magic when I previously failed. Just a little disappointed in her thinking capacity.

Cheshyr Then let’s move onto the next part of this test. Face me in combat! Let me see if you have what it takes to survive the onslaught.

Well what can I say?

The result, my complete victory. Whatever spell she cast, I simply countered with my own. If she shot fire magic I blocked with water or ice magic. She used wind magic and I countered with earth magic. Eventually I grew some roots out and controlled them like snakes to coil around and lock up her arms and legs. Like that I effortlessly won.

Cheshyr Hmph! I let you win, just so you know. Even I’m not cruel enough to shatter your confidence.

Or so she says.

Cheshyr I’ll head back to the guild first to let them know you passed. Come back to the Keeper’s Guild later and have them update your card. You are now of Stone rank.

This means I have graduated from Clay rank. Cheshyr turns away but before she leaves I activate magic that I managed to create during the battle.

I made the Spatial Magic skill, which allows me to use special magic like Map and Tracker. The Map spell creates a 3D simulated landscape of the area, like a real-time 3D map that exists in my head. I can use any kind of spacial awareness magic thanks to this newly created skill. I can even see individual people walking around the area.

There’s a dot that represents Cheshyr, I place a tracker on magically that records her specific mana and position. After sensing mana I can tell that people have unique mana signatures, it’s hard to explain. For now, this means I’ll know where she is at any time.

Man, magic is really convenient, and so are skills of course, provided you ignore the requirements of getting them normally.

7