Chapter 4 – 4 | The City of Realight Part 3 (4)
587 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alice Girl, you know my true nature, don’t you? I can tell, the mana fluctuating around your eyes is strange. What are you?

Alice speaks in a cold voice and an eerie pressure fills the room. While she’s wearing a smile her eyes aren’t agreeing and try to peer into my being.

Becca I’m a hero, come to rescue the people from the evil clutches of a demon.

Alice is being possessed by a demon, or so the analysis shows her status as. Trusting in this analysis, the reason for Alice’s charisma and the negative light painted on Cheshyr, all of it was the demon’s fault.

I’m not sure when or how this demon got ahold of Alice, but it seems that Cheshyr has a bit of a resistance to its effects. If that’s the case then it would make sense for the demon to turn everyone against Cheshyr since it can’t control her.

Cheshyr’s status looks normal at first glance except for the section about Titles. Going by video game logic, a title is similar to a skill in that it is painstakingly earned and the requirements are extreme. While skills are a reflection of one’s training and mastery over talents, titles are like achievements. You can’t train to get a title, you can only wait for an opportunity and prove yourself, hence the rareness of titles.

Cheshyr has a suspicious title called Bloodline of Demon Slayers. It’s a title granted to those that strongly inherit a certain kind of blood it seems. Strangely Mirenda doesn’t have a title like that. It could be from an ancestor’s blood that laid dormant. Due to this blood and her title she seems to have a natural resistance to the demon.

In that case, maybe I can make a skill to protect myself too. Let’s try something simple like Abnormal State Negation, anything that can be considered a foreign element or influence on me is negated. This way any magic that causes me to fall into an abnormal state like charm magic won’t work.

Still, I’m at a slight disadvantage. This demon is hiding itself but I can still see it’s information including its stats. At level 150, it is stronger than me by around 50%. And it’s skills seem dangerous too. It has high level skills like Mana Control Lv4, Ice Magic Lv5, Charm Lv6, Demonic Possession Lv2, Flight Lv3, HP Regen Lv3, and Soul Parasite Lv1.

Charm is responsible for controlling the city people, and demonic possession is how it’s possessing Alice. So what is soul parasite? The description reads, “Soul is strengthened and persists in the living world after death for a period. Can attach to a living body’s soul to cipher power and remain after generations without passing on.”

I bet that due to the low level this demon hasn’t used this skill much, but it sounds like trouble. In the event I kill her, she’ll linger like a ghost and infect someone’s soul to hide. I’ll worry about that later since killing her won’t be easy.

If the demon were around level 100 it would be a fair fight, but at my current state I don’t think I can win. In that case, I should buy time and think of a plan.

Demon Human, you think you stand a chance against me? I am the demon known as Envie. I –

Lucky~ The demon has started a monologue all on her own. I occasionally nod my head pretending to pay attention, and I go over my status. Level is currently 1 and my stats are an even 100. In terms of raw power I lose out but I have plenty of skills.

I have Mastery of Mana, Super Human, Basic Elements Magic, Spatial and Illusion Magic, Analysis, and Abnormal State Negation. These are my current skills and magic.

If I want to win I need some way of defending myself from her physical and magical attacks.

Demon ... It was over a thousand years ago when I made the whole land tremble in fear …

Is no one going to attack while she’s busy reminiscing? Cheshyr seems lost and confused and Mirenda is dazed. While thinking of this, the demon seems close to finishing.

Demon That damned Abraham, he destroyed my army and thought he got rid of me. But I managed to activate my special skill and parasitize his soul. In there I laid dormant, waiting for the day of my resurrection. After a thousand years staying hidden in his descendants, my powers have finally returned.

Becca And now you want revenge on the descendants of that demon slayer that almost killed you.

Demon And now I’ll get my rev – wait how’d you guess it?

Becca It was kind of obvious. So what you really are is a demon of a sore loser.

Demon I did not lose! It was all strategy.

Becca And your revenge is petty, I mean starting a mother-daughter fight? There’s lots worse you could have done while you were waiting for your powers to return.

Demon Are you mocking the great demon Envie?

Becca No not at all. I was just buying time actually. But I’m done.

Demon Then those will be your last words. Charm!

The demon’s eyes glow red and I feel a chill run down my back but that’s all that happens.

Demon It didn’t work? Are you … a demon slayer as well?!

Becca Not exactly. I’m just a hero.

It’s a good thing I set up mental defenses against her charm magic with abnormal state negation. Otherwise I’d be under her control right about now. Since her charm didn’t work on me, I suppose we’re going to fight now?

8