Chapter 6 – 1 | Frosthill’s Epidemic Part 1 (1)
427 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello to any readers, this is Becca Thorn. I feel like there was a reason I started writing this diary, but for the life of me I can’t remember it. Maybe it wasn’t important.

I used to be an ordinary girl on Earth when I found myself in another world at the behest of a Goddess of Light and Eon a Chaos Devil. All I was told was to travel around and right any wrongs in my sight. So now I am leisurely going around being a hero with an odd party.

Some may wonder how my life could be turned around so much and none in my surroundings notice. To simplify things, let’s just say that I’m sort of a free spirit. My parents passed away before I could remember them. Since then I’ve drifted around relatives until I was able to support myself and live alone. Online tasks was the bulk of my work, so my contact with people is kept to a minimum. That’s why I can act so precariously.

Laura and Lina are new additions, when I brought them over to the world of Arcoul there was a bit of panic and confusion. Things like magic, the slime Mu, and skills had to be explained and demonstrated but eventually they got the hang of it, or they’re still trying to make sense of it.

Today will be their first adventure in the Yorland country. I’ve armed them for self-defense with skills and equipment from Earth. On top of the modern under armor are clothes that will blend in with Arcoul’s. I also included an Arcoul Translation skill in their skill set so they can converse with no problems in another world.

This is a bit late but recently I’ve updated the Analysis skill to also show me the durability and stat enhancement of equipment. I didn’t even realize I could update my current skills until now. It even shows details on weapons and armor from Earth like guns and kevlar vests. Perhaps at some point I’ll take a shot at blacksmithing myself.

Laura’s skills and equipment resemble a roguish thief who can scout ahead and strike from the shadows. Lina was given skills that suit a priest or cleric so she is our healing support. I also armed Lina with a revolver pistol and a few shots in case she ever needs it.

We haven’t come to a consensus whether Alice should be taking part in fights but at the minimum we gave her defensive skills in case of emergency. She requested some fun magic so I gave her something harmless like Bubbles Magic. I don’t even know what it is supposed to do really, I just imagined that she can create soapy bubbles endlessly. There’s practically no harm in it.

While at it I also handed back over to Envie the skills I took from her minus the charm and soul parasite skills since those are dangerous. We are starting to resemble a real hero’s party.

After some days of travel in Yorland, we’ve encountered various monsters that ambush us or chase us. Laura and Lina took up responsibility of fighting the monsters to practice their skills. In the process they have leveled nicely and sit around less than level 10.

There’s just one issue.

Becca My level’s still at one.

Well that’s just a simple matter of course, seeing as how I haven’t killed a single being in this world yet. Cheshyr explains that levels are a natural progression as people get older and absorb experience from killing living beings. Keepers like her will kill monsters for payment and acquire experience at the same time. Children also gain levels slowly over time as their experiences grow and they get older.

Even at level 1, children can kill weak monsters like slimes with sticks and stones. I won’t kill you Mu, so you don’t have to cower like that. But it is true that since arriving in this world I have never needed to kill anyone or fought for my life against monsters.

There’s some resistance in me to killing living things, it feels like a line I’ll have to cross eventually but I hesitate to do so. It’s possible that at some point all this power I have will cause me to view things differently. If I could see this world and it’s inhabitants as mere data in a video game, then I’d have no problem killing. But at the same time then there’s no reason to sympathize or help people. I’d have nothing to hold me back from using all my powers.

But at the same time, who’s ever heard of a hero that is constantly stuck at level 1? Worse yet, if someone had a skill to view my status then they could notice my abnormal level 1 stats. Also it feels embarrassing when I’m the only party member yet to grow in levels.

All right, next monster we come across I’ll step out of the vehicle and slay it. I’ll get some levels and see how strong it makes me, and more importantly not feel ashamed if someone asks to see my status.

The vehicle we had earlier was a bit cramped when we added more people and supplies so I went back to Earth and spent a small fortune to get a caravan trailer attached to the Jeep. The trailer feels like a comfy home with all kinds of facilities. If this party gets any bigger I’ll have to spring for something bigger.

In this dual sun heat, it feels nice to relax in a trailer with a cold soda on hand. Me and the girls except for the driver Envie are snacking and listening to some jazz music. The vehicle jolts to a stop and telepathically I connect with Envie. She tells me there is a monster on the road.

Here’s my chance, saying so I leap from the trailer door and head for the front where a monster awaits. Let’s see who my first prey will be.

It’s a puppy. Wait, no, it’s a wolf monster but small and definitely a pup. It stares at me defiantly and woofs but that only serves to reinforce it’s adorableness. Crap. My luck that the only other monster I run into besides a slime is a wolf pup. With eyes behind me I can’t bring myself to kill it so I pull out some raw bacon from my bottomless bag.

I wave the bacon around and the wolf follows it with his nose and wags its tail. It approaches slowly and when I throw the bacon at it the pup jumps on it and tears into it with tiny fangs. I can feel waves of want-to-pet thoughts flowing from the girls behind me. Like this I can’t kill this little guy can I?

I warp to it and try to pet it but it barks at me and retreats a few steps. It has a guard up against strangers like a wild animal.

Becca I’ll be right back.

I create a new skill as I teleport back to Earth, Time Manipulation, which merges with Spatial Magic to create Spatial and Temporal Manipulation. I freeze time and rush with blinding speed to a nearby pet store, and pick up some stuff and teleport back leaving a few bills on the counter. Some might say this is gross misuse of my powers but I say bite a chew toy.

I get back to Arcoul without missing a beat so time resumes as normal and I bring out a chew toy bone from behind me and wave it in front of the pup. It’s eyes are mesmerized and it inches forward practically drooling. I put the bone down and it dashes to chomp it up happily. The pup doesn’t resist as I pat it and put a collar around it.

Let’s see, how about I take the last letter of wolf and name him Fu?

9