Chapter 6 – 3 | Frosthill’s Epidemic Part 1 (3)
349 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The estate of Lord Gosler is not as lavish as I expected. Everything seems to be made of wood and cheap leather. The only thing that stands out are the rows and shelves of liquor bottles lining the walls and cabinets. This guy must be a real drinker.

An old man outfitted in a butler suit greets us. Is it my imagination? When he laid eyes on Envie in her maid uniform he nodded in approval and she grinned back. Some sort of mutual trust is forming there.

The butler guides us up a floor to a room in the back where Lord Gosler resides over his work. How can I describe Gosler in simple words? Intense. His hair is burning red and his beard is braided up.

He greets us with a big hearty laugh. Although his presence is certainly extreme, his stature is nothing but. This Gosler is a dwarf that barely exceeds Alice’s height. Seeing a fierce dwarf deep in paperwork is something else. His glasses look miniature on his face.

Gosler What’s this? Visitors? I must have forgotten. Sorry about that.

We didn’t schedule any appointments, but I don’t mention that.

Becca Lord Gosler? I’m Becca Thorn. A Keeper that just arrived in town.

Gosler A Keeper? What kind of business do you have with me?

Cheshyr We heard about a sickness called White Death spreading in town?

Lina Is there anything we can do to help?

Gosler You wish to help? My, you young folk are awful nice. Unfortunately I’m as clueless as you. You should talk to the doctor about his research into the sickness. I welcome any help you can give my people.

Becca Doctor Fraude, right? Is he here?

Gosler I’ve set up an impromptu lab below ground for his use. I’ll send word for him to meet us. Give me a moment. In the meantime, care to try some drinks?

A light twinkles in Gosler’s eyes like a child bragging about his toys.

Gosler Recently I received a drink from across seas that is most peculiar. Please have a sip.

Becca Don’t mind if I do. You girls can try it too if you want. For Alice, Mu and Fu, how about a can of soda instead?

I make a soda can appear out of my inventory screen like magic and hand it to Alice and the combo of Mu riding Fu. Gosler eyes the can with curiosity.

Gosler What sort of container, no, what is this soda drink you say?

Becca It’s sort of a carbonated drink, fizzy and sweet. Non-alcoholic.

Gosler Sounds like alcohol. Could I try one myself?

Becca Why not. Here.

I hand another his way since I had more stashed in my inventory. He follows along with Alice to pry the can open and sniffs it. In the meantime the Butler returns with an ornate bottle of alcohol that he pours a small amount into wooden cups for us. I take a sip and the bitterness and burning sensation of alcohol permeates my throat.

Since I have Abnormal State Negation I don’t think it’s possible to get drunk unless I turn it off. Technically being drunk is a kind of abnormal state for the body to be in.

Suddenly I hear Gosler exclaim in surprise. The soda drink worked it’s magic and it seems he enjoys the fresh new taste.

Gosler Fascinating. So this is soda. And you say this contains no alcohol? I wonder if I mixed this into …

Time passes as we sip our drinks when a servant arrives and brings in Doctor Fraude. I expected a man in a white doctor’s outfit but instead I see a young man in rags with bags under his eyes. He introduces himself.

Fraude I – I am no one suspicious. I’m a doctor, you see. Doctor Fraude.

8