Chapter 7 – 7 | Frosthill’s Epidemic Part 2 (7)
272 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cure for the spreading White Death was stolen by an exile guild called Abyss Star. In a bid to get it back we entered a duel and right now the score stands at 1 – 2. The current match is between Laura and one of the caped twins.

The fight doesn’t look good for Laura as she struggles to keep up with the barrage of attacks. The port twin uses strange attacks that while seem simple employ some sort of tricks. One attack becomes two and two strikes become four. The speed of the attacks is near impossible for Laura to keep up with.

I know of Laura’s Status and comparing it to the port twin, she is lacking in stats and number of skills. The skills I gave her as per her request were Detection, Small One-Handed Weapon Expert, and Shadow Magic. I was tempted to give her a Ninjutsu skill and some ninja outfit. So instead I settled for shuriken stars and kunai knives.

To guess at her thoughts, she’s probably saving the shadow magic for the right moment to decisively finish the fight. She hasn’t used it so far and is keeping it a secret. All she is doing is staying on the defensive as attacks come from out of nowhere at weird angles.

The answer to the trick is simple, but can she find it? She has the detection skill so she should be able to. I glance at Dunfer who has a face like he’s gloating on the inside.

Dunfer What a joke. The score will soon be 3 to 1 in our favor, and the cure will rightfully return to my hands.

Becca I wouldn’t be so sure of that, sir Dunfer.

I throw a quip at him but I’m not psychic. Oh wait, I am a psychic. I meant that, I don’t know the future. I could, but I choose not to. Something tells me that knowing the future is a sure way of messing up fate and other consequences like destroying the timeline if I’m not careful.

The port twin continues unleashing lightning quick attacks that penetrate Laura’s slim defenses. If it weren’t for the defensive gear I enchanted and equipped on her, she would be done for. But her limit is drawing near. If she wants to win she needs to act soon.

In an act of desperation, Laura performs a wide attack like trying to cut through a thick tree in one stroke. The port twin dodges with ease. The attack leaves her vulnerable and unable to recover her stance. Seizing the opportunity her carelessness gave, the port twin stabs her.

The stab misses but another stab connects with her exposed flank and she winces in pain. The port twin is sinisterly grinning and pulls back, but before he can do that his arm jerks to a stop. Laura is gritting her teeth in pain but despite that she is grabbing onto the port twin’s arm.

In reality, it’s not the port twin’s arm, but something else. An arm is extending from the twin’s back. Behind the twin is actually the other twin that should be standing in the back with the rest. The secret to the unusual attacks is that he had someone else behind him tossing out attacks from blind spots. That’s how his attacks multiplied mysteriously.

Laura took the risk of getting injured to catch the mysterious attacker.

Lina Hey! That’s cheating, he’s fighting two against one!

Dunfer What are you talking about? Those two aren’t separate beings, but originally one being.

He’s right. I can see the twin’s skills and status. His skill Clone Clown, allows him to create a mirrored copy of himself. The twin that we saw was just a copy of the original. Thanks to this skill, he and his twin can move separately and his twin can disappear and emerge from inside him at any time and moment.

Now that the trick is exposed his twin copy fully separates from the main body.

Dunfer This fight is still valid, since his twin isn’t actually a real person, but the embodiment of his unique skill. Ergo, the fight is still 1 vs 1. There is nothing dirty about this fight.

We could argue about the rules and morality, but it wouldn’t change their minds. All we can do is hope Laura can fight against two clones. If it comes down to it, I might have to give her a secret hand somehow.

The twins attack Laura from two sides that are impossible to dodge. She blocks one side and angles herself so the other passes right by. Under the twin’s assault all she can do is block, dodge, and back off. She can’t grasp the timing to strike back because they are alternating strikes rhythmically.

She can’t keep up this tense defense forever and some attacks make it past her guard. Each attack seems shallow but she is getting slower and her movements aren’t as sharp. Is this her limit?

Her knees buckle and she drops her knife. Seizing the chance, the twins launch a crisscrossed strike together, but in doing so leave an opening. Laura ducks beneath the strike and while the twins are reeling from the full frontal attack they displayed they are powerless to defend.

Her knife is a distance away but that doesn’t stop her from attacking. She uses the shadow magic skill that she kept in reserve. It allows her to wield shadows like a versatile weapon. A claw of dark oozing shadows forms on her arms and she lashes out with them.

She focuses on the real twin and lands a clean blow. Unfortunately, at the last moment the guy takes a step back so the attack isn’t that deep. But as if she anticipated this, there’s a sneak attack waiting in the shadows.

Her shadow extends like a snake into his shadow so it’s fully concealed, and it forms a thin dark needle protruding out of the ground. When he steps back his foot buries the needle deep in and roots him to the ground.

Stuck like that he becomes easy prey for Laura who picks up the knife and attacks. Although he tries to block it with his knife, Laura’s shadow comes out for a two pronged attack. The shadow stops the blade while her knife reaches just before his neck and stops. All he can do is stand still and admit defeat.

The score is 2 – 2.

6