Chapter 9 – 1 | The Hero of Wahlburg Part 2 (1)
210 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A girl in rusty armor is being pelted by a Wyvern’s wing beats. Each flap generates tailwinds that surge and threaten to topple the knight. The girl who claims to be a man hater stands her ground with armor joints clanking.

Come at me vile creature! I’ll rip your tongue out and barbeque it for dinner!

The Wyvern does not look amused. It rears its head back, ready to spew burning flames. Can that girl survive the fire breath skill? I take a peak at her Status in worry.

Now I’m even more worried. Her gear is giving her only a measly plus 5 to defense, her broken longsword gives plus 3 to offense. Her level is at 35, pretty high for a normal person, but her stats are all weird. She has almost nothing in offense stats, only high Vitality and Will, and a strange skill called Mana Reservoir coupled with some holy magic. I doubt she can fight anything like that.

The Wyvern’s mouth bulges and it unleashes the scorching flames at the girl. She brings up her measly wooden shield for all the help that will do her. Maybe I should save her? Doesn’t seem like she’s asking for help.

The roar of the flames extinguishes sight and sound and the heat reaches us from a distance. The flames settle and the knight is still standing except the color of the metal armor has eroded black like soot. Her HP is bottomed out but she is still kicking. Just when I think it’s time to pull her back she uses magic.

Healing Light! Healing Light! Healing Light!

She casts a basic holy spell that restores health gradually and stacks them on top of each other. One cast is restoring 5 HP a second but after chanting the same spell 10 times the effect is multiplied that many times. The downside to this spell is the upkeep of mana required to keep it going. It drains 10 mana a second, multiplied by 10 that means she is healing 50 points of health by sacrificing 100 mana every second.

My mana pool is pretty large now but even for me I could only keep that up for 3 minutes and 45 seconds. The only reason she can do so is her skill Mana Reservoir, which allows her to exceed her maximum mana limit, storing excess energy everyday quickly and efficiently. Her mana pool is several times larger than mine. If she had a skill in attack magic, she could be a walking artillery.

In no time her health is back up to full and she raises her broken longsword to strike at the Wyvern. With laughable effect, the sword stops at the scales and cracks even further. Throwing away the useless metal heap, she barrages the Wyvern’s scaly leg with bare fists and kicks. The attacks register for only 1 point of damage and serve to annoy the beast.

A tail whips around sending the girl crashing into an empty storehouse and depleting a chunk of health, which gets restored in a few seconds. I wonder if this has been her fighting style this whole time?

Relying on elementary healing skills and her large mana pool, continually tossing herself at her enemies until they run out of steam or her mana dries up. Not such a refined way of fighting.

The battle continues with the girl in knight armor getting blasted away or swiped with claws or swatted with a tail. She gets knocked down then gets back up, healed back to full health, rinse and repeat. Her high defense stats are keeping her alive even with such a gap in levels and skills, but it feels awkward watching this.

Eventually the Wyvern’s mana and stamina run out and it’s attacks get visibly sluggish, leaving large openings in its defense. Now if that armored girl had a finishing move she could end this prolonged fight, but she doesn’t have a skill like that.

But then the knightly woman takes out a bundle of iron chains and drapes a net of iron over the Wyvern, sealing its movements. It struggles but the iron chains dig in deeper and tangle in a mess that it can’t unravel.

How’s that? I beat the vile beast like I told you. Now for my reward, I request only the finest women this village has to offer, paired with the finest wine. Three cheers for Lady Brigid!

The woman calling herself lady Brigid gives a hearty laugh while the Wyvern can only struggle under the iron net. Heavy metal spheres chain down the net at the ends and with the Wyvern too weak to even breath fire the dragon poses no danger anymore.

All it can do now is utter a low pathetic growl.

My child…

Who was that? I glance around at the girls, Brigid, and the guy we met, but neither of them seem to be talking. Then I look at the Wyvern and hear the voice clearly coming from it.

I have failed you… my child.

The deep voice is coming from the Wyvern on the ground there. No one else is reacting so I assume only I could hear that. More importantly, how can the Wyvern speak words? I think about the reason for a bit until I look through my skills.

There was a skill I acquired early on, All Language Comprehension, which lets me understand and communicate in any languages I can hear. I never realized it, but I guess that includes the language of monsters.

I never heard the other monsters speak, but that’s probably because their intelligence was too low to form words. This means that I can perfectly understand the Wyvern, who is crying out about his child. This spells trouble.

5