Chapter 2 – 5 | The City of Realight Part 1 (5)
704 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After hearing some standard rules, I become a Keeper at Realight City’s Keepers Guild. The rules were as I expected, monetary rewards are handed out once confirmation of request completion is delivered. Clients deliver payment through the Guild and Keepers accomplish any number of tasks set out.

Most requests involve killing monsters or escorts, sometimes manual labor when there’s a shortage of workers. There’s also investigations and subjugation of criminals via bounties, an endless supply of work that doesn’t require training.

The guild keeps a very hands-off approach to internal conflicts, allowing the Keepers to police themselves. The guild will listen to the lords and rulers of the country but operate on a large scale autonomously. Sounds like a big group.

The responsibilities of a Keeper is answering general call-to-arms issued by the Guildmasters, reporting sightings of monsters, and protecting civilians in any incidents.

The guild also functions like a market in that they have connections allowing for purchase and sale of materials from monsters. They’re equipped to support Keeper livelihoods and improve the standard of living for citizens.

The Keepers Guild might make a good starting point to see and fix this world. With registration out of the way, I am now officially a Keeper at the Clay rank. The ranks are designations of a Keeper’s capabilities and a measure for how well matched they are to a request’s difficulty.

Clay rank is a beginner’s rank, above that is Stone rank, which means a Keeper’s probation period is almost up and they’ll see more dangerous jobs. The next rank, Glass rank, is for Keepers that know the basics of the trade. Metal Rank and up are for the more experienced Keepers that can be counted on to survive.

The only ones above Metal are Volcanic and Star rank. Volcanics are dependable Keepers that are like the poster child of the Guild, and Stars are the strongest, most rare Keepers. Stars usually only answer to the highest authority in the lands, and are almost always tied up in dangerous jobs somewhere remote. Most Stars retire from the Keepers Guild to serve royals and live lavish lives, while the few who remain assume important roles in the management of the Guild.

Clay rank means I won’t be seeing much action, and it’s a pretty short period that involves testing. The test is about having a senior Keeper shadow them and observe how they work, hand out tips and help avoid common pitfalls. Once that testing period is over the Clay rank is promoted to Stone rank and gains independence.

Holand naturally volunteers to be my tester but I know there’s a nomination system in place. So naturally I nominate Cheshyr to be my tester. Kill two stones with one hammer.

Becca I was actually hoping to get Cheshyr to be my tester. Could I nominate her?

At her mention both Holand and the lady at the guild reception freeze up and awkwardly glance at each other in knowing. Not sure what they’re thinking but they seem to agree on something internally.

Holand Cheshyr is … how do I put it? Difficult. I wouldn’t recommend her to be your tester.

The receptionist lady at the counter chimes in.

Holand’s right. Lady Cheshyr isn’t really tester material –

Who says I’m not?

A high-pitched voice rings out from above. From the second floor balcony comes the voice of a little girl. Roughly a bit shorter than me, with long tapered ears and shiny black hair, she introduces herself.

Cheshyr is here! Who dares utter my name in discontent? The ultimate evil that is I!

The black haired little girl wearing impressive armor and a long sword a head taller than her announces herself as Cheshyr, the target of my investigation.

END OF CHAPTER 2

9