Chapter 1: Midnight Commotion
2k 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On a large bed was a sleeping figure positioned peculiarly, in an X shape were arms and legs spread open like a butterfly. Snoring loudly, was a young girl with long silky hair overlaying the sheets.

Usually, she did not sleep like this aside from when she felt happy and tranquil. Today, she was feeling very blissful because, after all these years of her faking, mimicking existence, she was finally going to live as herself. She would never have to pretend to be someone else again.

*knock* *knock* *knock*

Suddenly she heard knocking at her door. While closing her eyes, the girl slowly raised her head with an annoyed expression. She felt angry because of this sudden disturbance. She cursed that intruder's nine generations for not having any common sense, waking up a lady in the middle of the night.

She crawled from her bed, tidied her unruly hair, and then tried to remove the wrinkles from her dress. She looked at the mirror for a quick check, but before she could even give a satisfied look, she froze on the spot due to shock.

There was snot on her face!

"Seriously! What a dishonor!" she exclaimed.

"If someone sees me like this, they would never believe that I am the honorable Princess Liena, who is also known as the lady of virtue and the idol of this kingdom...!" she murmured.

Suddenly, as if realizing something, she tilted the corner of her lips slightly and gave a smug smile while looking at the reflection on the mirror absentmindedly. She smiled as if she noticed something hilarious, but somehow, her smile didn't reach her eyes. It was a mixture of various emotions. If someone saw this scene, they would say without a doubt that she was self-mocking!

She slightly nodded her head with an inward sigh, as if she disapproved of something. She cleaned her face and covered it with a pink veil before walking hurriedly to open the door.

An old man in red robes was standing in front of her door along with some palace guards. As soon as she opened the door, they bowed down to show their respect. She was utterly surprised to see that red-robbed man because if she remembered correctly, he was the head eunuch and His Highness' right-hand man.

'What the hell is going on? How come these people are in front of my door!' she thought while narrowing her eyes.

She composed herself and stepped out of her room staring at them as if to ask the reason behind this racket at midnight.

"His Highness and Princess Liena are summoning Lady Mei immediately to the Medical Pavilion."

The eunuch seemed very nervous, as he was sweating profusely, but his voice still sounded gentle but with a tapered point.

'What!'

'Mei' was shocked as she looked at them with disbelief. She wanted to ask them the reason why she was being summoned, but she stopped herself. Because she knew, no matter what, these people would never answer her.

Because this was the rule in the palace. No matter what, they could not disclose His Highness's personal affairs, otherwise, they would be executed.

She gestured for them lead the way, but she soon caught up and started to walk beside the eunuch.

She wore a pink plain cotton dress which didn't lessen her exceptionally graceful aura while she was walking.

However, deep inside she was confused as she felt that something was off. The eunuch didn't take her to the usual route, nor even the secret path only she used to use. They took her to a tunnel whose existence was not known to her. She used to think that she knew this palace like the back of her hand. Moreover, Princess had provided her with a map on which all the secret paths and tunnels were drawn and pinpointed. The palace had a lot of secret passage. They were created to ensure the safety of the royal family during wars and rebellions. So only the royal family knew about those secrets passageways. She had a notion since she had the imperial family's map she knew all. But now...

'No doubt the royal family has a lot of secrets', she deduced.

She furrowed her slender brows, finding everything dubious. Previously they have never shown her this way so, there must be something going on.

When they arrived at the entrance, the guards who were escorting her stopped and stepped aside. This meant that their task had been completed.

She frowned a little at their suspicious behavior but said nothing. She entered the pavilion with the head eunuch. He took her to a room which was situated at the end of the pavilion. As they entered, she felt the room temperature dropped to a certain degree. The atmosphere was very tensed and gloomy. She was shocked when she saw His Highness King Lin was sitting in the middle of the room with some of his family members and the Royals who knew her true identity.

She knelt down in front of His Highness to show her respect. King Lin waved his hand as he was telling her as if there was no need for this formality.

Well, this was very common for her. Lowering her head, she stood up and slightly tilted her head as if she was asking for an explanation from everyone.

King Lin was massaging his forehead as if he was thinking about something. He always did this when making an important decision. Everyone was silent; their gazes were gloomy and sad like they were about to cry. She had a bad premonition about the abnormal situation. The silence was torturing her. As King Lin was about to open his mouth, a maid suddenly ran towards 'her' and interrupted him.

"Lady Mei, Princess Liena wants to meet you now."

The maid was very hoarse and loud. She looked at 'Mei' with her bloodshot eyes. Her body was trembling. She was clutching her dress very tightly. It looked like she was struggling to control her overflowing emotions.

Mei wrinkled her brows to see this maid's reaction since she knew this girl was Liena's most trustworthy maid. Suddenly, she felt very uneasy. She hurriedly followed the maid without turning back to look at those gloomy people.

After entering the room, she saw a petite little girl lying on a bed wrapped up in bandages, with a pale complexion indicating major blood loss. Seeing this scene, Mei was shocked.

'How did this happen? The princess was fine just one day ago!'

Queen Lin was sitting beside her daughter and sobbing. When she saw Mei, she ran towards her, hugged her and started to explain…

"At afternoon...when the princess was resting,...some assassin entered her room....a-and...stabbed her. She is in a critical condition now and...she...might....not...survive..."

After she stammered out two sentences, Queen Lin burst out crying.

Mei's heart skipped a beat. She slowly walked towards the bedside and sat beside the reclining princess.

Princess Liena was sleeping but woke up hearing her mother's sudden outcry. She slowly opened her eyes, which fell upon Mei whose face was covered with a veil. Although she was in pain, Princess Liena still forced out a smile, though it looked more like she was about to cry.

Seeing this, Mei felt a throbbing pain in her chest, as if someone had stabbed her directly in the heart.

She could not control herself anymore and finally let out her tears as she shakily held on to her face.

[Proofreader: Hylidahlia]

17