Chapter Two: Trucks, Gods and Demons
379 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Finally, I want to be able to sense and access summoning circles between worlds."

"Hmm"

Challis stopped time in the middle of her hum.  She hated how uncertain the sound made her seem, but it was the most natural and convenient way to continue a conversation without any odd gaps.  She also had to pause time because she was, in fact, uncertain.  Neither of those two facts made her feel any better.  Still, the mortal was too stupid to be able to detect anything that she wished to hide.  That fact did make her feel better.  

Focusing inward, Challis sent out a summon to her earthly servant.  She waited impatiently, tapping her foot before realizing her mistake.

She briefly unpaused time.

"m"

Then it was paused again.  Turning around, she observed a large, white truck kneeling before her.  At least, Challis liked to believe that the machine was kneeling.  It was on all fours after all.

"Challis of Rebirth"  the truck intoned.  For what have you summoned me?

"Truck-kun, behold this mortal soul behind me."  Challis stepped to the side.

"I see it."

""Why did you send it here, I thought that we had decided to send Lamar a soul with a female's memories."

Truck-kun stared at the soul, likely using the goddess' own powers to observe what the human had looked like in life.

"That soul defied me." Truck-kun said.  "It stole the perfect target from our grasp."

Challis turned, surprised.  Focussing again, she looked into the soul's past and saw it ( it called itself Isaiah, apparently) pull a tolerably cute girl out of the street just as Truck-kun drove past.  Challis then watched as the boy stepped onto the street himself.  She would never understand mortals.  However, she raised her eyebrows high as the space around the boy bent to allow Truck-kun, who had long passed, to hit the boy, killing him instantly and sending his soul straight to her domain.

Facing Truck-kun again, she reprimanded, "I thought I told you to bend the laws of Earth as little as possible."

Truck-kun did not move an inch."I did.  I was very careful with the girl.  For weeks, I would slow down traffic at that specific crosswalk every time she crossed, sometimes going so far as to dent my bumper causing accidents to ensure that the crosswalk would be clear when the girl passed.  I had been driving ads encouraging both reading and walking past her for a week."

"I mean with the boy, Truck-kun."

The truck answered simply, "Protecting the god's pride is set to a higher priority than preserving the integrity of Earth's laws."

Challis flared.  "Are you daring to suggest that this is my fault!"

Truck-kun was a peculiar existence among the gods.  He was created to interact with the sanctum, Earth.  Because of its lack of magical prowess, Earthlings tended to be abnormally receptive to any system of magic found throughout the rest of the cosmos, making great heroes for cases where the gods did not want to intervene personally.  To keep Earth magic-free, Truck-kun was designed based purely on the laws of Earth, with a special material containing a magical core that never passively leaked magic into the surroundings.  This made him an interesting hybrid between an AI and an intelligent golem.  Because of the value of Earth, there were very few circumstances where Truck-kun was allowed to release any magic at all.  

Of course, when she received him, Challis was outraged to see that Truck-kun's pre-set priorities did not contain any mention of her dignity. She had swiftly set maintaining her dignity to the highest level of importance.  Now, however, that decision was causing her a huge headache.

"So you are saying that the only reason this soul is here is because it offended me?"

Challis wanted to make sure of the soul's uselessness, Truck-kun's logic matrices were very thorough and subtle, and she might have missed a scheme. 

"That is correct, goddess."

But it seemed that she had missed nothing in this case.  "Remove that addition I made to your priority list and get back to Earth.  Lamar still needs that girl."

The truck bowed, or rather, it stayed completely still, but Challis thought that it would have bowed if the other gods had given it anything like a decent, living chassis.  Then it disappeared.

The goddess sighed then, and looked towards the soul.  The damnable thing had disturbed her, disrespected her, and even ruined hundreds of hours of her, well, of her subordinate's work.  The only reason it was in front of her now was, apparently, to receive her judgement.

Challis frowned, remembering what she had already told the soul about reincarnating it.  It was beneath her station to lie to a mortal.  Of course, she could just change her mind, but that would reveal that she had been wrong.  

'I'm not above being wrong, exactly, it's just that being wrong is beneath me.'

Satisfied with her conclusion, she turned her focus back to the problem at hand, which was the frozen soul intruding conspicuously in her domain.  Slowly though, the goddess' frown changed into a glowing smile as she hit upon a solution.  One which would get her her just revenge, while keeping all of her promises.  In fact, it even fit the requests that the soul had made of her!

Challis allowed time to resume, "mmm, I can definitely do that for you.  In fact, there exists a race in the cosmos with those traits already!  I will reincarnate you into one of those.”  

Her sudden enthusiasm (from the soul's point of view) could, she thought, be excused.  After all, if it was allowed to randomly break character to confidently state three request when previously it could barley string together three words, then so could she!

Challis then waved her hand, allowing her desires to be transmitted to the outer soul, that is, to a part that gave shape to a soul's body.  In the process, she went deeper and retrieved all of the divine influence that normally limited human souls.

In general, most souls exist with a large amount of divine power.  This divine power permeated even the magic-less souls of Earth, allowing subtle divine infiltration and protection.  Without it, the pressure naturally exuded by the gods would absolutely crush and destroy anything that they interacted with.  Since the gods operated nearly everywhere, then nearly everywhere that the soul went it would be tortured.  Removing divinity was therefore known as one of the harshest punishment available to the gods.  The beings sentenced to such eternal torture were called demons, and it was forbidden for the gods to expand that class.

There was another reason creating demons was forbidden.  Normally, a soul gifted with divinity will never need to develop its own source of power.  Demons, however, will eventually start producing their own divinity, allowing them to theoretically rival the gods.

Challis didn't care.  Since the soul wouldn't be influenced by the god's cycle of reincarnation, then the body it formed would be ageless.  It took a little bit of tampering, but Challis was also able to ensure that the soul would not be bound by the normal limits that the souls themselves usually bound themselves to.  As for the third wish, Challis had heard of demons being summoned through various arcane means.  She had no idea how such processes were done, but that was for the soul to learn.  As long as it was a demon, it technically had the ability.  So, with the three wishes fulfilled, Challis had technically done her duty.  

Of course, the real reason that Challis had done so much to the soul was to deliver it its just desserts.  Sure enough, as soon as she had finished, the soul began quivering in extreme pain.  First, with the divine influence removed, the soul would loose all ability to "see" in her domain.  Then, as it began forming its body according to the instructions she had left, the soul would experience the agony of her divine aura.  Under the overbearing command of "Rebirth", the body would mutate rapidly, building up an extreme energy as it constantly built and destroyed itself.  Death was not final in her realm.

Stepping away for a moment, Challis crinkled her nose.  The odor released by a body simultaneously dying and being birthed was not pleasant.  Of course, she didn't smell it, having sealed off the area before the smell reached her.  It was the thought of having something impurfect, something foreign infiltrating her domain that caused Challis to send it away, choosing to use a summoning circle she already had prepared.  Thus, the demonic soul was released into Lamar.

 

8