Chapter 7
8.4k 6 112
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As this internal monologue ended Vanessa did just that and opened an in-depth description of both abilities. The first pop-up was the description of her battle armor ability. 
 
Ability: Battle Armor (Racial) 
Description: an inborn racial ability that allows you to surround the entirety of your body in a biological armor bolstering your physical defenses as well as seeming to have a magical spell nullification effect with a radius of 5 meters from the user as well as doubling the wearer's strength but lowering overall agility and maneuverability 
 
'Well that answers my question, no wonder I was so freakishly strong with my race seemingly being stronger than an average human, the added weight of the armor, the doubled strength passive, and the studs on my fists no wonder it was complete overkill for those goblins, and then there's the magical nullification, if that does what I think it does then my entire existence is an ultimate 'FUCK YOU' to all mages in this world, I mean I'm immortal and mages spells don't affect me at all doesn't that mean that any type of mage or witch will just be unable to kill me?' Vanessa thought 
 
With this new revelation concerning her existence Vanessa began to understand that those gods gave her a much more powerful body than they realized because no matter how she looked at it she upset the balance of this world pretty badly with the abilities she has. But before she became too engrossed in that line of thought she decided to look at the next pop-up bubble. 
 
Ability: Mental Resistance (Max) 
Description: This ability is gained through mentally painful scenarios. This ability cannot increase from its initial value. The initial value is determined by the intensity of the mentally scarring scenario that allowed any owner of this ability to obtain it. The more mentally scarring the higher the initial and permanent ability level. 
(Max) level description: You have suffered a fate feared by the gods themselves and are somehow still sane. You have obtained the max version of this ability because of this. 
Primary Effect: Any and all forms of mental control, alteration, damage, etc will be nullified. 
 
Secondary Effect: Any and all extremely traumatizing memories gained will be repressed. Specific emotions relating to pain such as grief, sorrow, fear, disgust, terror, sadness will be erased to prevent memory leakage. 
 
Settings of this ability can be altered: 
Full effect (in use) 
Only have primary effect active 
Only have secondary effect active 
 
Vanessa's mind went blank at this. 
“W-what?” said Vanessa in a terrified whisper. After rereading the description multiple times, she couldn't stay still anymore she carefully got up so as not to wake up Laura and went outside the cave to think. 
 
'So ... t-this skill has been altering my memories?' Vanessa thought. 
 
'That can't be I mean I remember everything befo-' Vanessa abruptly ended that thought because she just realized something. There was that tingling again, and she was sure it was associated with the skill. 
'But what can it be repressing I mean I can remember everything from my name to my friend and even my girlf-' she stopped again the tingling becoming even stronger as she realized something. She couldn't, she couldn't remember her friend or her girlfriend's names. And no matter how hard she concentrated their names eluded her. And not only that whenever she tried to recall their faces their profiles seemed fuzzy 'Which one had brown hair again?', 'Why can't I remember their eye colors?' 
 
After making this horrible realization Vanessa quickly brought up the notification again as fast as she could and instantly altered the ability to only have its primary effect active. 
 
All of a sudden, the night was pierced by a gut-wrenching wail. A sorrowful sound so filled with pain, loss, grief and such sorrow that every monster or creature outside the cave all the way to the far edges of the interconnected continents, whether it be insectoid, humanoid, fiend, shade, demon, beast, or something else entirely, all felt an almost primordial sense of fear and prostrated themselves on the spot. 
 
In the human kingdom, every human itself including the king were on their knees under the effects of the amount of sorrow and pain that the sound carried. 
 
“W-WHY C-CAN'T I MOVE!!!!” shouted the king who was completely immobile under the sorrow that he was unable to block from his ears. 
 
And alternatively, at the Demon Queens castle itself, just as the Demon Queen was in the middle of a meal and wondering how she would be able to deal with the annoyingly loud and racist human king. She found herself as well as all her subjects prostrating themselves in fear but also with a hint of reverence, especially the Demon Queen. 
 
“W-Why am I kneeling!!” Was the thought that went through every demon general in the castle 
 
“T-That power I-its 'them' but that can't be possible, they have been extinct for eons and why does it sound so powerful” whispered the Demon Queen in awe of the power of the being that was bringing her to her knees with just a sound. 
On the Elven continent a mass nullification of magic was felt along with the sound. Everything from combat magic to household magic crystals for daily necessities such as hot water and air conditioning was nullified under the sound of the wail. 
 
"W-Why am I kneeling NAKED in the shower!?! And Why Is the Water so cold?!?” Yelled the Elven princesses who were all under the sounds effect. 

Even the Elven Queen who had lived nearly as long as the Demon Queen herself was prostrating herself in her garden “N-NO IT CAN'T BE HOW ARE 'THEY' STILL ALIVE!?!” She screamed in complete and utter terror at the owner of the wail as well as the power coursing within what she was so afraid of. 
 
And similar effects were all felt with all the other remaining races. The angels were all grounded and were unable to fly, every beast-man and woman rolled onto their backs and presenting their belly in complete fear and submission, and the dragon people had raised their heads in their draconic forms to roar into the sky along with whatever creature that had caused them to fill such fear and power all wanting to follow under whatever was emitting such strength and power. 
"Haha this power, I haven't felt something like this in my entire life I will have to see what caused this ... as soon as I can stand without falling back to my knees and roaring some more.' thought the Queen of Dragons." 
 
The wail continued for hours originating from the Forbidden Forest, letting every kingdom now where the owner of the wail resides, and then as abrupt as it began, the sorrowful wail ceased. 
 
Back in the Forbidden Forest Vanessa was finally able to have conscious thoughts without being wracked by the extreme mental agony, fear, and grief that saturated her repressed memories that had been made known. 
 
“Ha-Ha-HAAAAAH I should have seen that coming.” panted Vanessa as she tried to still her shaking body all while trying to wipe away any stray tears that were flowing down her face. 

"But it was worth it I don't care if these memories cause me pain, they are still my memories and I would rather remember them and feel pain then forget them and not feel anything." stated Vanessa
 
Vanessa had all her memories back, Jane and Amanda; she was able to remember their names... their faces, but it hurt SO much. The brutal reminder that she will never ever be able to see her loved ones again, was what had caused Vanessa to emit such an unearthly sound. And that wasn't all, there was also the memories of the void, Vanessa thought she had only stayed in that unending abyss for a couple of hours or maybe a day at the most. But now she realized she had stayed there... isolated for what had been centuries until she had walked into the light and had been deposited into the gods of this world's realm. And Vanessa had to re-experience all of it in extreme detail. Her mind had mentally condensed every single second of every single century in extreme intensity; centuries of pain, loneliness, and grief into a span of a couple hours. The strain would have broken her if the primary effect of the mental resistance ability hadn't still been active. 
 
Vanessa was completely drained, after what she just experienced, she did NOT feel like doing anything else tonight. But she had also decided to do something else, Vanessa had just suffered an extremely traumatizing experience thanks to her own ignorance. She did NOT want to go through anything like this ever again, therefore she decided to do one last thing as she was walking back to her cave where Laura was STILL sleeping and seemed to have not even noticed the racket Vanessa had made outside. Vanessa took the initiative and proceeded to look at the in-depth descriptions of everything in her character sheet to see if there were any more unknown bonuses or 'surprises' like the previous abilities and came up with nothing, with this she was now satisfied that she won't have to deal with anymore unexpected surprises later thanks to her race or abilities. At this point, it seemed to be very late in the afternoon and Vanessa knew she would have to rise early tomorrow. She had a feeling she would need a lot of energy if she was going to have to make the trip to Laura's home. 

“Uhhhh...” realizing tomorrow is going to be physically demanding in a lot of areas Vanessa groaned and decided she better go to sleep, or she was going to seriously regret it tomorrow. And as Vanessa was situating herself on her makeshift bed all of a sudden Laura cuddled herself into Vanessa's arms. Vanessa took a moment to see if she was awake but was disappointed. 

“I guess she must have gotten cold while I was gone.” Concluded Vanessa who was extremely thankful at the moment for the teenager's embrace which was doing wonders on her recently frayed nerves. Deciding she was comfortable enough Vanessa slowly began to relax and dozed off into the abyss just as a notification bubble presented itself into her peripheral vision, but at this point, she was too exhausted to open the notification and let the drowsiness take her. 

112