Chapter 77 – Loot and Deals
3.3k 12 143
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

John got another wonderful injection of cash, 30’000 USD in one large package and a bunch of $5 bills scattered about the place. Beyond that, there were a few other drops.

5x

4x

1x

And finally

1x

“Potentially the worst loot I ever got.” John decided as he threw all of that into his inventory. “I didn’t even get a level up.”

“Well, your excessive levelling had to stop at one point or another,” Rave teased, as she walked over with Copernicus. The elemental was lying in her left arm, belly up and purring as she ruffled his fur.

“I thought you disliked getting pet?” John asked, despite knowing better thanks to Observe.

 “There is a time and place for everything,” Copernicus responded. “And right now I feel like enjoying a well-earned petting.”

“As do I actually,” Rave said with a wink. “Wanna get out of here and get to the last part of the day’s program?”

No question about that. “Absolutely!” he said and they went on their way. Copernicus transformed back into the wristband when they left the barrier. Already mentally at home, Rave nestled on John’s side as the bus passed through the streets. Aclysia sat a row in front of them, continuously scanning their surroundings.

John liked this serene scene. Nothing exploding, nothing threatening him, just a moment of tranquillity.

All of it was a farce. The difficulties didn’t disappear. They weren’t truly safe while they had no idea who had attacked them or why. “So, about Victoria...” John probed carefully. The reaction was between what he feared and what he hoped as Rave sighed and inched a bit away from him, the familiar warmth at his side disappearing.

“Okay, let’s gather what we know.” She mumbled, “Whaddya got?”

John was just happy she wasn’t angry or accusing him of being heartless or something worse. “Well, she stated that she was attacked at the cemetery so checking that place out might be a start. It won’t do anything for us if it was a lie, but even verifying that would be worth something.” John listed his first guess, “Otherwise we have few leads, I think. I mean who else could we ask that….” He stopped himself as he had an idea.

Rave must have had the same idea as she put her hand on his to stop him. “Don’t,” she urged.

“Well, you have a better idea?” John asked

“That cemetery sounds at least promising,” she sounded pleading, “You can still ask if we don’t find anything there.”

“I think we won’t get what we want if we ask 2 minutes in advance,” he argued. “Let’s assume the worst case scenario and that Victoria was the sniper on the roof, the cemetery would be nothing more than a trap and I doubt they, whoever they are, will underestimate us that much the second time around.”

Rave retracted her hand and crossed her arms instead. “Fine.” She gave in with a defiant tone that sounded like she was entirely not fine with the idea, “But ya better ask first what he wants in return.”

“Hey, I like to be safe too, you know?” John assured her and dared to tickle her open side.

“Wha-hahaha-t are ya-ha- doing?!” She asked while laughing.

“Getting rid of that grumpy mood of yours.” Her laughter made him grin.

Rave swatted aside his hands and pulled him into a kiss instead. The world froze for a moment as everything that seemed important took a step back for them. Only each other, that was everything that counted in that moment. Then a bump in the road pulled them back.

“Do what ya have to do then.” Rave whispered and let him pull out his smartphone.

Jeehan: Hello?

SecretBlonde: Oh, so you WERE referring to me right now. I was wondering about that. So, I assume you want me to look into Victoria Beloozero for you?

John looked around the bus. How did they do this? What kind of spying magic did they have access to?

Jeehan: …Sounds like you already did.

SecretBlonde: A private endeavour that could quickly be yours to feast your eyes upon.

Jeehan: And what do you want in return?

SecretBlonde: You tell me exactly what Aclysia is. You tell me if the rumours about your Observe ability are true. You pay me 50 Grand.

“Those are some pretty hefty demands.” Rave mumbled.

“Yes and it confirms already that Victoria is dirty in some way, Jane.” John answered.

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, “How so…oh…” She recognized what he meant when she read over the text a second time. There could only be rumours about Observe if somebody had leaked the intel. “Yes…it's either her, Baldy or Jimmie.” Rave mumbled, “And of the three she is definitely the most suspicious.”

‘Well, better late than never.’ John thought as he heard those words, “Still, confirming it is….”

SecretBlonde: You just did, LOL. Man, you really need to not be that easily manipulated. Just by writing this I got you to talk about that ability of yours.

John gave the environment another scan. There had to be some clue…

SecretBlonde: Don’t bother, I am not so easy to find. I am a professional. As a token of how much money you make me, how about I let this count as that condition of the payment being paid already instead of making up a new one? See what a nice guy I am :D

Jeehan: More like a manipulative dickwad.

SecretBlonde: Man, you are so mean :P Still, do we have a contract?

Jeehan: Sure. How do we do this?

SecretBlonde: Just write me a mail with the wanted information as a message over the auction and attach the designated sum. I will send you the information you desire within 16 hours afterwards.

John did as SecretBlonde desired with reluctance. “Guy just outsmarted me, I feel stupid.”

“Tell me about it, if I hadn’t asked, that wouldn’t have happened.” Rave clicked her tongue, “I am angrier at the fucker spying on us all the time than I am about blurting that out though.” John just nodded as he clicked the send button.

SecretBlonde: Beautiful, you will hear from me tomorrow~

“Now I have to fuck away some frustrations too.” John mumbled and got tickled in response. “Wh-ha-hat?”

“Revenge is best served cold!” Rave declared and a moment later they kissed again.

143