10. A Way Out
1k 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the moment they were getting closer to the sanctuary and Yukito could already see the tall wall from afar, he was already very excited. He didn't expect that the sanctuary was that big. 

"We need to see my boss first. He's inside."

"Sure." He held his bag closer to his body with eyes that failed to conceal his emotions.

After parking. Yukito followed Eiji inside. When they entered the vicinity, they immediately saw two men talking to each other. They were both engrossed in their conversation that they didn't notice a pair walking towards them. 

While approaching the two who were still both oblivious of their arrival, Yukito couldn't tear his eyes off the young man with brown hair. He was the same height as the person he held in his heart more dearly than anybody else, same posture as they stand, same smiles and same body built.

"Ei, Yukio!" Eiji waved his hand towards the young man that was being so intensely stared at. He was still even unaware when the one walking beside him just now abruptly stopped and looked so stupefied. When he noticed that his companion stopped walking, he turned and was taken aback by the look in Yukito's eyes.  The latter was amidst the feelings of shock, disbelief, confusion and all else that Eiji couldn't put into words anymore.

"What's wrong?" He walked back to Yukito and gently tapped his shoulder.

"Y-Yukio?" His eyes were still fixed on a certain person who was now facing him, equally with widened eyes but the latter was quicker in ironing his reaction.

"Yeah. Yukio, my boss. Come."

But, before they could take one step closer to the other two, both Yukio and Ryuichi were already walking towards them.

"What boss? I heard that." Yukio smiled and bowed in front of Yukito. "Dr. Yamamoto, it's nice to see you again. I'm Yukio Yoshida. And, this is my fiancé, Ryuichi Nakamura."

Ryuichi also bowed but said nothing.

Although a thousand of wild stallions were now rampaging inside Yukio's chest, he remained calm. He couldn't scare his twin brother who was now staring at him like he was seeing a ghost.

"Yukio..." The presence of another man who was way more  handsome and domineering, and the word fiancé didn't register so much in Yukito's mind. He was more focused on the man who looked so much like his twin brother. It was just that, he had more elegance and maturity in him. His smile was even the same, but it was only more confident. "Y-you said it's nice to see me again..."

Yukio knew fully well all the things that were running inside his brother's head. Besides, he was also stunned the first time he saw himself in this new body when he first looked at the mirror. Even his golden colored-eyes were the same. If there were any differences, it would be his fairer and more spotless skin now that looked like it belonged to an extremely high-maintenance celebrity, and his voice that sounded softer and gentler compared to the constantly merry and almost always excited voice of his old self. His nose was also straighter with a higher bridge, and his fingers were more slender.

"Yes, I was actually in the airport, too, when you met Eiji. I was just far from you so we were unable to meet." He smiled a very reassuring smile.

"Ah..." He tried to dismiss the shock that he felt and smiled back. "Yukio was cremated in front of our family. There's no way this is him."

"It's an honor to meet you, Mr. Yoshida. Didn't expect Eiji's boss to be so young."

"Huh? You believe this man here? I am no way his boss. This sanctuary belongs to him and his company." There was an evident pride and mirth in those words that Yukio wished to affect Yukito with.

Yeah, he succeeded. This time, it was Yukito's turn again to be overwhelmed by Eiji's status.

"His company?"

"Don't tell me you were trying to forge another identity to him." Ryuichi grumbled at Eiji with an amused tone. He was clearly in a good mood.

"What? No. There was just no need to say it." Eiji didn't take offense in Ryuichi's remark. Instead, he looked at the latter like he was oblivious of the unfriendly intent.

Yukio looked at the two big men and was so relieved they weren't throwing punches towards each other.

The rest of the day was spent in a mess, a happy mess of hurried tasks.

Ryuichi and Yukio proceeded to thoroughly check the construction details of the treatment facility.

Eiji and Yukito went to the sick animals and did all necessary tests. The sanctuary only had a few sick animals as of this time so the task wasn't too demanding.

Yukito was amazed at how complete the equipment and tools were in the facility even if only half of it was complete as of this time. He was able to do everything that he wanted to do without being hindered. He also appreciated it that Eiji trusted him enough to let him use whatever he needed.

It was already dark when all of them finished.

"Let's go have dinner." Yukio was mainly looking at Ryuichi and Yukito hoping that both would agree.

"Next time, maybe. I have a flight to catch." 

"Eh? Back to Tokyo? Tonight?"

"Yes. There's a management meeting early tomorrow morning."

Yukio pondered for a while then glanced at Eiji who seemed to have already understood what he was thinking. "Uhm... Actually, I... Ah, would you mind if I go back with you?"

He quickly averted his gaze trying to hide his embarrassment. It took a lot of courage for him to be able to voice those words out to his Alpha. "Well... He did so many things for me today... And... And, I think he specifically traveled here for me... So... I can't possibly let him leave alone, can I?"

Ryuichi couldn't hide the smirk on his lips hearing the sweetest offer he had heard from his Omega. "I don't mind."

"Not that I want to stop you but--" 

"What?" Ryuichi snarled in a low voice. The last thing he needed right now was Eiji bursting his bubble.

The latter, however, just threw a quick glance at the fuming man who cut him then looked at Yukio again, "Your father's return is today and you might not want to see him yet since..." He trailed off really intending not to finish his sentence. 

Actually, he had nothing to say. He just wanted to hint on Ryuichi to take Yukio home because he clearly knew that was what his brother wanted. He could read Yukio's heart as clearly as he could read an open book.

Yukio's face turned red upon realizing what his brother was doing. "It's okay. I can rest in a hotel upon arrival." 

"No, you'll come home with me."

Both Yukio and Eiji were grinning inside and both couldn't believe how easily Ryuichi fell into their trap. "This man was strong and formidable but also a little naive. "

The one being 'trapped' was acting indifferent about the idea like it wasn't a big deal but inside, he was celebrating with the turn of events. "Couldn't get any better."

Yukito who had been quiet and sharply observing the three was truly amused. It seemed to him that Yukio and Ryuichi's relationship was still in a process while Yukio and Eiji's bond was of a well-seasoned understanding about each other. But wasn't Ryuichi the fiancé? Being a liberated and rational person that he was, even an engagement between two men didn't faze him at all.

"Dr. Yamamoto, I hope we can oblige you to accompany Eiji for dinner. We have abandoned him in the last hour."

"Oh, no, no, not obliged at all. Instead, it's my pleasure to do so."

Eiji's ears perked up at those words. Yukio could see a dog's tail popping out of his back and happily wagging while staring at Yukito with a drool. He helplessly sighed. "Please don't embarrass me!"

After hours of traveling back to the airport, a flight back to Tokyo, and a ride back home, Yukio was given the guest room that was beside Ryuichi's room. He also found out that the Nakamura couple was on a business trip abroad.

Although they both ate in the plane, he got hungry again after taking a bath. Wearing just a pair of pajamas and soft slippers, he slowly went down and opened the fridge. He couldn't seem to find anything appetizing so he slumped back on a chair, held his chin on his palm and stared at the fridge.

"What's wrong?"

"Oh. It's you." He only turned back to look at the source of the voice and and helplessly looked at the fridge again. "Why did you go down?"

"I heard your footsteps."

"Ah... Sorry for the noise."

Ryuichi watched as the other party absentmindedly stared at the items inside the refrigerator.

"What do you want to eat?"

"I don't know..."

"Yoghurt?" He placed a pint of strawberry yoghurt on the table.

Frowning, he didn't even touch the yoghurt. "Sorry... I don't like it."

"It's okay. How about I make you a sandwich?"

"I don't seem to like bread these days."

Ryuichi warmed a glass of milk and put a tablespoon of honey in it then placed it on the table. "Drink this first. I'll cook something for you."

"Eggs?"

"You want eggs?"

With lips pressed into a thin line, Yukio weakly nodded. "And... noodles. No garlic and onion."

Ryuichi raised a brow. The young man in front of him didn't seem to be acting all too special, he sounded like he was just stating a fact and was even frustrated at his pickiness. He shrugged it off and started working in the kitchen.

"Ryuichi..."

"Hmm?" He looked back after getting all the ingredients on the countertop.

"Uhm... What's... " His face turned red again, he didn't know if he should ask this but ever since they met in the sanctuary, he was already fully engrossed with Ryuichi's scent. It almost drowned all of his senses except for the sense of smell. "Your cologne. What cologne do you use? Or, perfume?"

"I don't use any. Why?"

He followed the other man's movements as the latter continued cooking. The scent seemed to have made his mood better so he moved his chair closer to the busy person.

Ryuichi noticed Yukio slowly dragging his chair closer and when he glanced at him, he saw the latter peacefully waiting in the kitchen island with his eyes closed, seemingly and occasionally sniffing the air.  

He finished cooking in 10 minutes and the man who was supposedly waiting was already asleep on his own arm on top of the island. He served the food then gently tugged on the sleeping person's shoulder.

"Yukio..."

"Hmm..." He unconsciously moved closer to the scent that calmed all of his cells and rubbed his face on the arm that reached out to him.

"You still want to eat?" His heart softened a little bit more with that small gesture.

Yukio slowly opened his eyes and when his sight refocused, his mind was still floating. "You smell really good.... So good..."

"Mm. Eat your food now then go to bed." He took a glass of warm lemon water and placed it beside the sunny side-up eggs and stir-fry noodles with strips of chicken meat. 

Yukio obediently sat up, still sleepy, and started eating the eggs. His eyes immediately lit up and looked like he was having the best dish in the whole world.

After finishing two eggs, he moved to stand when he was stopped by a hand.

"What is it?"

"Can... Can I have more milk?" He was embarrassed to ask for more but he was really craving for more milk.

"I'll get it." Ryuichi stood up, warmed another glass of milk and honey then gently put it in front of him. "Eat the noodles, too." he slightly pushed the noodles closer to him.

"Thank you..." He stuffed his mouth with noodles and chewed. But before he could swallow it, he started retching. He held his stomach and the retching became more intense. 

"Yukio? What's wrong??"

Ryuichi quickly took the empty basin and placed it in front of him just in time for the latter to heave everything out. The former massaged his back, put a box of tissue near him and gave him the warm lemon water. "Let's go to the hospital. You're sick."

"N-no. It's just... just chicken. I t-tasted chicken." He caught his breath and wiped his mouth with tissue.

"You don't eat chicken?"

"Yes. No. I mean, just recently. It tastes awful."

"Are you sick?"

"No, I just easily get nauseous with food and smell. Not your smell though. It seems that I... I like your smell."

"Since when?"

"I don't know... Maybe several days ago when I also started to become a sleepyhead."

When the last word dropped, a realization also fell on their heads. Both men's eyes widened and they stared at each other for quite some time. Ryuichi moved to touch his face but clumsily knocked over the glass of water. "Shit! Oh, sorry! Shit! I mean, I didn't mean to. Wait, I'll clean it." 

He mindlessly grabbed the tissues and wiped the table completely soaking all the tissues with water. Yukio watched as the main culprit of his condition now was panicking and crazily moving not knowing where to put his hands and feet. A wave of mirth swept his heart off and he couldn't help but smile.

"Ryuichi..."

"Yeah? Why? Does it hurt? Wait, I'll throw the food." After holding Yukio's hands for a split of seconds, he hurriedly picked up the whole bowl of noodles and threw them in the trash bin. "There, no chicken." And, there was a tinge of nervous smile as he faced Yukio with a stiff body.

"Ryuichi..." Yukio really wanted to laugh but he didn't want to douse this man's excitement and whatnot.

"Yes!"

He really couldn't help it anymore, he giggled. "Can you please relax?"

"I'm relaxed!"

"Calm down."

"I'm calm!"

"You can come over and hug me, you know."

In not even a blink, Yukio felt his body raised from the chair with two strong, muscled arms encircled around his waist. "Whoah... "

"Yukio..." Ryuichi nuzzled his head on his neck while still embracing him off the floor.

"Yes?" He touched the back of his Alpha's head.

"Yukio..." This time, there was already an amused chuckle resounding with his name.

"Hmm?" Yukio's smile couldn't be any brighter than it already was at this moment.

"I'm so happy. So, so happy."

"Me, too." He hugged him back tighter.

Ryuichi put him down on the chair again and held his face in his hands. "I'll call a doctor to check on you now. We can't go to the hospital, you have been tired out today."

"Okay."

The call was made rather quickly and right after Ryuichi had put down the phone, he immediately faced Yukio again. "Are you still hungry?"

"Mm."

"How about fruits? We have peaches and mangoes. We also have grapes, cherries and persimmons. Which one?"

"Hmm, peaches? And, mangoes. And, persimmons."

"Okay. Wait for a bit."

Yukio was stunned when Ryuichi suddenly closed in and kissed the top of his head. Not that he'd complain though, his heart was being filled to the brim tonight.

After eating, Ryuichi carried him back upstairs.

"Ryuichi, this is too much, I can walk."

"Please let me do this. I won't be able to sleep with my heart beating so fast tonight."

"O-okay..." He hid his face on the other man's chest as he was being carried in a bridal way. 

"You'll be sleeping in my room. From this night on, you'll be staying with me."

"Huh? But that is unnecessary!"

"We're getting married anyway. What's there to oppose?"

"I... uhm... too sudden."

"You don't want to?" There were traces of sadness and frustration in his tone that could not escape Yukio's ears.

"It's not like that... I want to." 

"Well, his smell does make me feel good. And... And he's quite useful." Yukio reasoned at the back of his mind. 

"Then, it's settled."

Yukio didn't answer. He buried his head on his chest again and just resigned to the things that will happen next.

The doctor came that night and true enough, Yukio was pregnant. In order for them to be sure about both Yukio and the baby's health, they were advised to visit the hospital the next day. Of course, all the matters about their respective jobs were postponed.

"The baby is perfectly fine and developing normally." Dr. Murata, a Beta doctor, was informing them about the results. "But we need to discuss your health."

"What's wrong with his body?"

The doctor faced Ryuichi and said, "Your partner had used a serious dose of inhibitors last month. Apart from that, his Omega gland was already severely damaged." He glanced at Yukio who looked down to hide the emotions in his eyes. This was the inevitable consequence of his actions.

"What are the possibilities?" Ryuichi's voice did not waver, not even a drop of blame, disappointment nor annoyance.

"His pregnancy is more difficult than the others. He is most prone to miscarriage, premature delivery or stillbirth. Aside from those, he might find it extremely difficult to be as functional as before because this pregnancy will cause him so much pain and discomfort."

"What can we do? What should I do for him?"

"His Omega hormones are erratic and unstable so he needs a lot of extra supplement with your Alpha hormones. I can't guarantee the safety of substitutes--"

"There will be no need for substitutes."

"Good. He also needs to have a lot of rest, nutritious diet and absolutely no stress. Stress may trigger an abnormal estrus."

"How do we know if it's abnormal?"

"It will be extremely painful. He will bleed so much and this may lead to miscarriage."

"Are there any vitamins or medicines that can help strengthen his body?"

"In his condition, yes, but it might affect the baby. Having a very damaged Omega gland is rare because it can only be caused by repetitive physical trauma, poor health, and overdose of medicines. So, medicines for pregnant Omegas with irreparable glands are still being studied."

"I see. We know what to do. Thank you, doc."

The doctor nodded and looked at the silent topic of their discussion with pity and encouragement in his eyes. "You can pull through this. You and the baby will be fine."

"Thank you." Yukio muttered in a low voice.

On their way home, Ryuichi was the first to break the silence.

"Can I ask you to file a leave at work? Fifteen months."

"I... It will be hard... "

"Mm." Ryuichi didn't say anything anymore. He understood why it was hard. His fiancé was not just a regular employee, he was the CEO, he was on top of the whole management and the organization he was leading was not a small fry. "It's okay, I'll find a way."

"Ryuichi..." Yukio could sense the seriousness and tension in the other person with whatever he was thinking.

"Hm?"

"I'm sorry..." He was fidgeting with his fingers again, a mannerism when he was anxious, nervous or scared.

"For what?" Ryuichi's tone was gentler and he reached out to touch the head of the worried young man beside him.

"It's all my fault. I... I've done so many bad--"

"It doesn't matter. You did what you did because you thought it was the only way out."

"I could have been stronger. I could have been better..."

"It's okay. Having a weakness is not a sin. But now, it's different. No matter the situation, I will give you a way out."

"But..."

"Even if the one I have to fight is your weakness, I will give you a way out. So you don't need to be strong. You will not fight alone." Ryuichi reached out to hold his hand. "Not this time."

Yukio subconsciously laid his other hand on his abdomen and smiled. "Mm, I know."

"I'm not alone this time... not anymore." He silently thought.

12