Epilogue
694 6 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<3 years later>

 

*Open* *Ring*

Ah! Finally a customer! I turn to look at the door and greet them like usual.

“Welcome!” I said with a smile, then I remembered who she is, love of my life, Sophia. Wearing a white shirt with black leather jacket over it as well as gray pants and shoes.

“Ah! You’re back already?” I said to her.

“Yeah, I make sure to resolved the situation as fast as possible, and by that I mean beat the shit out of them quickly” She said with a grin.

“Well, why don’t you come here and let me give you a treat?” I said.

“Sounds great! Your rice cakes are the best after all!” She said, excited. She walk to me and I bring some mochis and senbeis for her to eat, she sit at the table near the stall I am at. She took her time enjoying them.

“These are great like always!” She proclaimed.

“Yeah yeah, try to not yell and scare customers away” I said.

“Got it, anyway how is everyone? From what I know at the workplace some of them have been doing something suspicious?” 

“Oh, that huh? It’s more like they get entangled in something they don’t want to deal with, I remembered a few get… you know what I mean, sorry for bringing the bad news…” I said apologetically. She faced frowned for a while then go back to normal and start talking again.

“No need for that, it’s unfortunate, but I learned that people died all the time, it’s sucks, but it’s true” She said melancholically.

“Well, not like both of us will died anytime soon unless death herself come to us” I said, trying to lift the mood.

“Yeah… though honestly I feel a little cheapened by the way you did it” She said scratching her head.

“Hey, not like there’re other way to do it” I retorted.

“Yeah I know, to guarantee our survival in this new world, though it’s heartless of you to not give it to them”

“To be fair those aren’t easy to make, seriously nearly all of my allowance is gone in an instant” 

“And you stole some money during the chaos anyway, I’m sure you could make more” She said sounding more and more disinterested.

“Okay now you’re just messing with me” I said with a small chuckle.

“Awww, here I thought I could one-up you” She said pouting a little.

“Try messing and teasing me are you? Guess no more rice cakes for yo-”

“Nonono! Stop I’m sorry!” She said moving exaggeratedly. 

“Apologies accepted!” I said with a grin.

“Anyway I’m sure you have more to talk about aside from those guys right? Like the real reason why you’re back so soon”

“The real reason for that? Who knows? Boss just said that I should take a break is all” She said glancing aside.

“Really? Like someone as strong as you need a break” I said teasingly.

“Hey!”

“Let’s be real here, why are you here?” I repeated the question once more.

“Really! That’s all!” She said sounding more and more suspicious. Now that I think about it why aren’t there anyone around here right now?

“Are you surrounded or watched by enemies and instead of doing anything about it simply hang out with me hoping they’ll go away? Or are you here to tell me I’m being watched? Maybe to be use as a hostage?” I said, raising my eyebrow and look at her accusingly.

“No! Don’t say it like that!” She said sounding more and more in denial.

*Crash*

“Great, my windows! I just got those replaced last week!” I complained despite multiple assailants coming in.

“I think those are least of your worries” A man in black number one said.

“To think you figure it out, guess you’re her associates for a reason” Said man in black number two. Suddenly a third mib put a knife to my throat, my my, how scary.

“You’ll both come with us” Said mib 1, I simply yawned at the statement.

“Oi! Do you think you’re safe or something? I’ll slit your throat for showing such disrespect! Or maybe cut your ears off!” Said mib 3. Are these guys part of a gang or crime syndicates somewhere? Uncle will probably have a lot to say about them more than likely, he wants to know about every group out there after all, or at least intel on them.

“Sophia can I deal with them?” While my attire of gray shirt, black pants, and blue apron isn’t exact for combat it is certainly not an issue here.

“That’s fine…” She said still sitting down, scratching her cheek.

“Do you honestly think-”

*Punch*

“Gaaaah!” Mib 3 down, blood flowing out of his mouth and his eyes turn white, did I do it too hard?

“What was tha-” Mib 2 tried to say.

*Shot* *Catch*

“Hieee!?” Mib 1 screamed out seeing me nonchalantly catch the bullet.

“I think this is yours” I said with a smirk.

*Flick* *Hit*

Oh, it went through his skull, maybe that’s a bit of an overkill. There’s still one more left anyway, I could bring him along. Oh he’s spazzing the hell out, must be surprised by a confectioner one-shotting a guy, kill another, and grab a bullet with no effort.

“W-What are you!?” Mib 2 said.

“No one important, now it’s time to bring you along, hopefully you won’t die from this” I said moving to his back and-

*Chop*

Neck-chop him, making him unconscious. I think he’s alive, not the other two though.

“I can bring this one to him right?” I said to Sophia.

“I mean… not like they specifically told me to bring them to be interrogated or something, so I guess it’s fine” She replied, good.

“Anyway this place is covered in blood and shattered glass, you’ll pay for this right?” I said with a threatening smile.

“O-Of course! No need to worry about the damages and the bodies!” She said stuttering a bit.

“So what was your reason for being here actually?”

“The higher ups said that both you and I were being watched by a dangerous criminal gang, they seems to take me as a serious threat and observed both me and someone close to me, you in this case, and he said I should confront them sooner or later, I think bring them to you might help your uncle out, since he wants to know anything and everything about criminals going around, wanting to be the top dog and all that” So that’s her reason.

“By the way are these people that bad at stalking us? Because otherwise people would still be around”

“Yeah, it’s why the agency know about this already, it’s been like a day since they started doing this”

“I see, well the shop will have to be closed for a while, you’ll pack these products and bring them to our home, I’ll bring this guy to him, oh, also get rid of these bodies too” 

“Yes boss…” She said with less than enthusiastic tone.

 

#####

 

“Ah, Miss Lunia, what are your business here today? And who is that?” Uncle’s right hand man said.

“Apparently this is a guy from another gang, he was watching me, so I deal with him and bring him here, I’m sure my uncle would want to know more about it, this gang”

“Ah certainly, I’ll guide you there” 

“Thank you” I replied, and follow him.

 

#####

 

“Ah good work my niece, to think you  personally bring someone here yourself” Uncle said with his feminine voice, brushing his long light silver hair, looking at the man still unconscious with her- I mean his crimson eyes. Seriously why is my crime boss uncle turned into a young adult vampire trap? 

“No need to thank me, I’ll go now” I said waving at him and walk out.

 

#####

 

“So with that whole incident out of the way… what are you supposed to do now?” I said to Sophia, right now we’re both home.

“I reported to them already, so I’m done with my work for the day, I don’t think there’s any mission for a while” She said laying on the sofa.

“I see, guess it’s time for that” I said grinning and Sophia’s eyes widen.

“Y-You mean” She said nervously. I pick her up, bridal carry her to the bedroom, her face beet red throughout the whole thing.

 

#####

 

*Open* *Ring*

“Welcome!” I said still not turning my face to see them, when I turn around I saw a young dryad with lime green hair, what is she doing here I wonder.

“Strange for you to be here, not like you need any of these things” I commented.

“Can’t I enjoy human’s food once in a while?” She replied, exasperated.

“Whatever you say Fern” I replied back.

“I’ll just take a small box of mochis and a bag of senbei” 

“Got it” I said and bring out the orders.

 

#####

 

After selling it to her she simply leaves, not much for talking is she. Wonder how she’s faring with the deaths and chaos out there, this place is relatively peaceful despite everything going on compared to the outside after all. Well, no time to ponder about that, let’s keep the business going.

 

#####

 

“So Fern came by today?” Sophia said, hearing abour her from me.

“Yeah, seems like she was just trying out my food is all, though it might also be because we were classmates and she came to see how I was doing” 

“Is that so? I guess nothing else noteworthy happened?”

“Nope” I bluntly stated.

 

#####

 

“How is everyone?” I asked Fern, right now trying out other food that are just different rice cakes.

“... Most were fine, but as you’re aware, some didn’t make it” She sorrowfully said.

“Is that so, is there anything going on right now? I might be able to give insight or two if you just tell me” I said to her, she’s still eating and seems to be contemplating my offers as well.

“... Nothing is really happening at the moment, I doubt a big incident like that will happen anytime soon, everyone is just recovering at the moment…” 

“Really? Guess they need something to lift their spirits” I said.

“What are you trying to do” She asked looking at me suspiciously.

“I’m going to give you lot some of my dishes and treats, I’ll have Sophia send them to you later, she’s free at the moment, just tell me where you all are, it’s on the house!” I said.

“... You’re an odd one” She said to my face.

“How exactly?”

“Despite saying and trying to remain neutral you clearly still cares for us to do something like this, yet also doesn’t help us during our most difficult time… why? I don’t really get you” She said looking a little down.

“Like I said before, I’m just an outlooker in the end, my contribution doesn’t amount to much, if I seriously try to help you you would all still be alive at this point, aside from the fact that she doesn’t want me to interfere with her observation too much I have my own future to think about as well, this shop isn’t granted on a silver platter after all, and it doesn’t stay without me doing anything either, while you lot want to stay with each other trying to help each other out and escalate things further, I simply look after myself, only helping because there was nothing else to do at the time, because doing so won’t interfere with my life, my future”

“... Basically you only help us because you have nothing else to do…  but why help us at all if you could’ve done anything else?”

“... I’m not heartless you know? I can show sympathy, I just don’t do it often, you’re all still my classmates that I have been with, I live my life feeling like I never help anyone, save anyone, so it’s only natural to do so to you, even if it’s restricted by my own goals and rules, if anything it’s your group that is odd, many of them feel extremely obligated to help each other out even if they’re at risk” That’s all I really have to say on the matter.

“... I see” She replied.

“You’re all unfortunate I can say that, everything that have happened to you were due to unfortunate string of events, I can’t tell what’s going to happened next, and that means I can’t help out, I’m not with you all all the time after all, neither are you or anyone else, I might be powerful but I’m not omnipotent or omniscient, I’m not a god, and not even they are all-powerful or all-knowing either, even if I want to help I don’t know if it's the right time, sometimes I’m not even allowed to help, I hope this answers some of your questions”

“... It certainly does, I think I feel a little better now hearing your side of the story, why you don’t help us… it make sense, yet no one seems to realize it, we are, or were, human at the end, flawed, nobody is perfect” She said.

“Yeah, anyway, are you going to tell me where to deliver them now or what?”

“Right, I’ll tell you”

 

#####

 

“So I have to deliver ALL of this?” Sophia said.

“Yep, good luck, if you do well I’ll let you pat my he-”

“Consider it done!” She said immediately gathering everything and set off.

 

#####

 

After Sophia did all of that we simply stay in the bedroom with each other, letting her pat my head and all that, it’s somewhat embarrassing but I’ll manage, we both sleep in the same bed and embrace each other like we always do.

 

We’ll be at each other’s side til the end of time, that’s for certain, nothing can change that.

 

23