Chapter 43 – Naval Onslaught
5.6k 36 80
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Discord -->  https://discord.gg/mhjetEK

Read a chapter ahead -> https://www.patreon.com/user?u=33496388

https://youtu.be/B19nFgS4eMc  Sabaton Wehrmacht

“What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight—it’s the size of the fight in the dog.”- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Minor reminder: The Ron in the story has a somewhat similar personality to me. That’s gonna be all. His overall personality and life are very different from mines.

Landing Zones in the Magus Imperium

There was a lot of commotion on the beach. Elves ran around carrying things that ranged from weapons to building materials.

A landing craft opened up its doors to let its contents directly out onto the sands of the beach. A large clanking and rumbling noise could be heard as the beast inside slowly came out. Sands shifted from the weight of the beast. Two elf engineers who were on break stared at it.

“Wow, what is that?”

“I think that’s the newest heavy magipanzer. The Fortress II or Grand Fortress or something.”

Other elves stopped what they were doing and looked at the Fortress II with admiration.

“The inferiors are definitely toast.”

 

0201 April 7th, 2020 CE

0433 Sun 7th, 196 AE

In the middle of the ocean between the Soane and Imperitoria Continent

The National Navy hadn’t seen much action lately. Originally the National Navy Command had plans to enact a blockade around the entirety of the Imperitoria Continent and destroy all human ships that came close. However, that plan was struck down by the Leader as preposterous. The only glory they got was when the war started and they cleared out all human ships in the vicinity. Then the Leader relegated them to more of a protection and patrol role. Even their glorious battleships have become mere patrol boats. One such battleship, the NN Wyntris, a Venharice-Class battleship, was with its patrol group.

 

A sailor on the ship looked out at the sea.

“Ugh, why do we even have to be here. It’s just sailing and sailing. I haven’t seen our guns fire in ages.”

The sailor who was mopping the deck stopped and replied.

“Meh, I like the peace. Doesn’t sailing feel so comfortable? I just love this scenery. The birds, the fish, the water. Just like from a painting. That’s why I became a sailor.”

“I became one because I wanted glory.”

“Glory? Join the National Army then. You aren’t going to get any in the Navy.”

A gruff voice came from behind them.

“Okay enough chit-chatting, get back to work!”

A not so impressed petty officer was looking at them.

“Yes, sir…”

A large boom was heard.

“What the…?”

Within a few seconds, alarms started ringing. The ship’s speaker sounded.

“Prepare for combat. Prepare for combat. All elves to positions.”

The alarm sounded again before the message was given again.

“Prepare for combat. Prepare for combat. All elves to positions.”

They dropped their mops and ran across the deck.

 

 

A bright orange ball consumed the side of the cruiser.

“By the Goddess!”

Anti-aircraft guns started firing towards where the mysterious aircraft were coming from.

Rear Admiral Ievis Liaric of the patrol group stared at what was happening.

“Are those suicide aircraft?!”

“I think they are too small to fit a human in!”

“Don’t let up with the firing and contact HQ!”

 

Afvalin, Elven Nation

High Command Office, National Navy Section

“Sir, Battleship Group 3 is facing an unknown enemy, they are suffering losses… should we keep this a secret like we did with that destroyer squadron?”

The General of the Navy who is also the head of the Naval Department sighed.

“We can’t. This isn’t a small destroyer squadron but a battleship group. And besides, the Army has experienced multiple setbacks already, the Leader won’t be that disapproving of us. Hopefully.”

 

Leader’s Mansion

Tarron looked at the report. Anfalen, the head of the Intelligence Department, was with him.

“They seem to be Hexenbesens. Does the United States of America use Hexenbesens?”

“What are Hexenbesens?”

“This is top secret but I suppose it’s fine to tell you. Just make sure you don’t tell anyone else. You will be tried for treason if you did… you know, you should really work with the Advancement Department more often. Hexenbesens are basically a bomb that is rocket-powered and can be directed at a location miles and miles away. Of course, they aren’t that accurate so I’m questioning whether or not they are Hexenbesens. Hexenbesens can’t hit moving objects. Of course, magirockets from aircraft can but they will still need to be at a close range.”

 

Less than an hour earlier

In the sea near the tip of the eastern end of the Soane continent

F/A-18 Super Hornets broke off after firing their AGM-84 Harpoon missiles.

 

Less than 15 minutes later

A person stared at a screen.

“It seems like most of that group has been destroyed. However, there still are operational ships.”

“They are getting into our range. We can fire the new modified anti-armor Harpoons to finish them off.”

 

Back to the present

At sea where Battleship Group 3 was located

Elves ran around the deck of the NN Wyntris.

“Are you alright admiral?!”

Ievis coughed heavily before replying.

“I’m fine. How is the ship?”

“We have received damage to multiple compartments. There are some fires raging. We are still trying to get in contact with everyone.”

“This doesn’t seem good.”

“We are currently turning back to port. We also have reinforcements coming to support us.”

 

At sea, closer to the Elven continent

After reviewing the order, Rear Admiral Hagen Vengella started planning with his aide.

“We have new orders. Seems like Battleship Group 3 was attacked. We are going on a search and destroy.”

“Any exact information about the enemy?”

“They seem to be using some type of long-range weapon. According to the orders, we have to be extremely cautious about that.”

“Understood sir.”

“Should we start dispatching aircraft?”

Hagen laughed.

“We aren’t even close to where the attack happened. Don’t be so eager. Somethings going down. We are being placed under the command of the Silent Admiral.”

 

0803 April 7th, 2020 CE

0736 Sun 7th, 196 AE

Afvalin, Elven Nation

The capital city has had dreary weather for the past few days. A black magicar went down the gray brick street. The sky was a similar gray as the ground. Magilamps brightened the gloominess. Many elves walked the streets with umbrellas. Those who were able to manipulate water mana held their hands out. As if they had a protective barrier, the raindrops slid off of a seemingly invisible umbrella.

 

The magicar entered what seemed to be a mansion. An elf in a black trench coat, black pants, and black hat came out of the magicar after it stopped.

He opened up his black umbrella and walked into the building. Ignoring those that were staring at him, he walked into a room and put his hat on the coat rack.

“My Leader, nice day isn’t it.”

“Zeno, did I not tell you to alert my aides as to when you were coming?”

Zeno sat on the couch in the middle of the office.

“I have the new aircraft ready.”

Tarron sighed. He stood up and went to grab his coat.

 

After a car drive to a far-out and secret location, Tarron stood beside Zeno.

“Are you sure this is a good day to be testing it?”

“Of course it is! Rain has never failed my work! It even feels nice to stand outside in it.”

 

An aircraft with a weird tube under each wing rolled onto the runway. A loud whirring sound seemed to come from the tubes.

Tarron stood outside with Zeno Naerora, the top engineer in the Advancement Department. Tarron really didn’t like standing in the rain but at Zeno’s suggestion, he did.

The aircraft started going down the runway.

 

Near Industropolis, Mach Imperium

Many hundreds of miles to the north, a different engineer was looking around a different vehicle

“Hmmmm. The armor thickness is actually very similar to World War 2 German panzers. Off by a few centimeters but nothing major.”

A deep voice responded to that.

“So our weapons will work on them? They don’t have any secret super armor or something?”

“Of course, they are just World War 2 tanks. However, the composition of the armor seem strange though. Some of the metal isn’t really metal. It’s... weird. What’s even more interesting is the engine and its ammunition. They seem to be the same material as some of the metal.”

“What about them?”

“You know how the Magusians use this thing called magic.”

“Yeah.”

“I have been looking at the Magusian engines. Quite inefficient. We never took deep interest in them because of how terrible they were. Their engines use both fossil fuels and magic. However, they are basically just normal engines with magic as an add-on in case of emergencies. It’s just like carrying a bit of extra fuel. The Magusian magic is extremely weak when compared to what our machines can do But I’m getting off of my point. These elf engines seem to be much more developed. The engines are wholly dependent on magic. In addition, their ammunition seems to be all magic. There seems to be some sort of magic battery that powers both the engine and provides ammunition. And there’s this magic material combined with the rest of the metal in their armor.”

“Uh-huh, so you're telling me we can easily blow them up.”

The engineer had a look of resignation on his face. He had already explained it in a less educated way yet the General still didn’t understand. 

“Uhhh, General… ummm, ya know what, yes.”

“Ok, that’s all I needed to know.”

 

1926 April 8th, 2020 CE

0943 Sun 8th, 196 AE

Cat Kingdom, United Beastmen Kingdom, Soane Continent

“Are you even old enough to drink?”

Subcommander Jeb Miller had a little red on his face as he asked that. Unlike three days ago, Jeb was now able to speak a good amount of Latin. He had been trying to learn it for the past few weeks. Now, with a little help from the locals, he had finally gotten a hang of it.

“Of course, I am! I’m 16 and what do you even mean by old enough.”

“There are drinking age limits in my country.”

“That’s strange. We don’t have any here.”

“You guys are lucky.”

Ron laughed. His face was flushed red. A moment of silence passed between them. Jeb had taken up quite a liking of him during their training. Ron was truly unlucky. He had witnessed incidents of ceiling tiles falling onto him, the floor giving out underneath him, random animals chasing after him, and a bunch of other things. But he seemed quite innocent and kind.

“Hey, Ron, I have been wondering for quite a while.”

“Yeah?”

“Why are you in the Army? I mean, not to be mean or anything, everyone in your county’s Army seems to be the big cat types.”

Ron looked down at his wooden jug of beer

“Well…”

Seeing, the uncertainty on Ron’s face, Jeb realized that there might have been circumstances.

 

“You don’t have to answer.”

“Nah, it’s fine. I guess the main reason would be that Madam Flametail is my mother.”

Jeb looked at Ron in confusion.

“Hm? You don’t look like her at all.”

“Well… Madam Flametail adopted and raised me. When I was a mere kitten...”

Ron stopped and stared at his beer before continuing.

“I was found on the streets by her. She was already in the Army at that time but still decided to raise me. I don’t know who my parents were or what happened to them. I think they abandoned me because I was too unlucky or something. Well, I’m in the Army now because mother is in it too. She raised me even when I had no relation to her and was weaker than her… I want to help her in any way possible. If it means that I have to take up a sword and go into combat, then be it.”

Ron looked at his beer with a light smile. He started chugging it. Then, the chair he was sitting on gave out beneath him.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-721-0397-34%2C_Frankreich%2C_Panzer_VI_%28Tiger_II%2C_K%C3%B6nigstiger%29_crop.jpg

By Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-721-0397-34 / Wagner / CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC BY-SA 3.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71627612

A large, turreted tank with dull yellow, green and brown wavy camouflage, on display inside Bovington museum. The tracks are wide, and the frontal armour is sloped. The long gun overhangs the bow by several meters.

By Hohum - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7305322

Fortress II / Grand Fortress

 

Bundesarchiv Bild 146-1975-117-26, Marschflugkörper V1 vor Start.jpg

By Bundesarchiv, Bild 146-1975-117-26 / Lysiak / CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC BY-SA 3.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5482824

Hexenbesens

 

 

80