Chapter 12
191 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sam’s POV

Yellow and black with small transparent wings flapping rapidly while flying from a tiny wildflower to the other, trying to collect some nectar for its hive.

A small bird with feathers consisted from all shades of blue was singing its best song, swaying with the wind as if it was dancing at its song, its gray claws grabbing firmly on a thin branch of a tall and green nearby tree, the tree itself was dancing at the bird’s song and was creating a low and nice music by moving its branches with the help of the wind.

A few fluffy and white clouds were running after each other in the sea of the blue sky, I sighed at the peace and beauty of the scene, I was enjoying myself while lying on an old bench on the backyard of the house, my eyes were roaming around the greens and the blue sky in content until they landed on the blue sun, which returned me to the harsh reality, that I was in a base living in an apocalyptic world full of zombies, and not to mention, I’m a freaking zombie myself.

I closed my eyes trying to return to the moments of peace before my eyes landed on the sun and spoiled it, unfortunately, it was not possible as I could hear people walking nearby while talking loudly, or more like shouting at each other which in turn scared the small bird to fly away, I sighed again but in annoyance this time.

It has been a month since the start of the apocalypse, things are almost quiet now, survivors still comes to the town from time to time, mostly with the scavengers teams and rarely on their own, but their numbers are declining, there are almost five thousand residents in the base at the moment, the work is divided between them according to what they can offer, as long as you can move you will be assigned something to do, if you refused to comply, let’s just say, you are not welcome in the base ground anymore.       

There are people responsible for scavenging for supplies; the teams now consisted of a mix of former military and civilians especially those with abilities, there are people for guarding the town and its surroundings.

Whoever can’t fight is positioned in the town, some are taking care of the small children and elderly while others washing the laundry or cooking, some are trying to build a wall between the houses at the perimeter, with the help of the earth and metal ability users, though it’s going to take some time to be finished since the houses on the outskirts of the town are far from each other and the levels of the ability users are still very low, though, in my opinion, it’s a waste of time, it may handle a few zombies, but if a zombie herd happen to come, it will be destroyed in no time.

The supposed training Jack and I underwent is finally over, and under Jack’s insistence to be with me in the same team, we were assigned to one of the scavenger teams, though I could tell that, Jack’s father wanted to keep him inside the town, but Jack’s qualifications are too good to be able to do that, so his father reluctantly accepted to send his son out.

Tomorrow is going to be our first mission, so for today, we have free time until noon, after that we are going to meet with the other team members to know each other and try to bond as a team, according to what our team leader said.

A friend of Jack, I think his name is Mark, came to see him, so I slipped out of the house into the backyard and relaxed on this old bench.

I opened my eyes and scratched the back of my neck, thinking what should I do during the two hours before the meeting when I remembered that I had the crystal from the bastard water ability user that I killed last time, so I took it out from my space-storage and threw it in my mouth and swallowed it.

It is easier for me to consume a human’s crystal than a zombie’s crystal, for us zombies we just need to swallow a human’s crystal to absorb the spiritual energy in it. As for humans or me, if we want to absorb a zombie’s crystal, we need to hold it for a period of time and absorb the energy slowly until it’s finished.

I did try to swallow a zombie’s crystal before, and it gave me spiritual energy but not as much as when absorbing it slowly through skin, hardly half the amount, so it’s not efficient at all.

I decided to take a bath and refresh myself, and maybe see what Jack was doing, I took one last look at the scenery in front of me, the tiny wildflowers, the tree, the blue sky with a few clouds, but as I stood up and was about to turn and enter the house from the back door, my eyes caught something strange in the sky, I squinted my eyes focusing all my attention at the strange scene in the sky.

As I stared at the sky, a realization hit me, they were fucking meteorites, even with the sun in the sky I could still see the lights in the sky, thousands or even tens of thousands were hitting the earth’s atmosphere, and for some strange reason they were not fast as they are supposed to be, I saw one, maybe the size of a fist with a long tail of light hit a place a hundred or so kilometers away from us, while the others suddenly turned to dust and spread in the sky.

“Jack” I shouted as loud as I could, I have no memory about second meteorites hitting the earth during the original timeline, maybe I didn’t notice it back then, but Jack also didn’t mention it and he was acting normally today, so I needed to ask Jack and confirm it.

I shouted once more as I started to lose my patience “Jack, come here quickly.”

I looked down only to notice that my hand was clutching tightly at my chest, exactly over my heart, the same place where the shard hit my heart.

Jack came a few seconds later with his friend following behind him, he looked at me with a smile only to vanished and changed to a concerned and worried look after he saw my expression, he closed the distance between us as he asked me “What happened?”

I just pointed with my finger to the sky, which made his eyes move from looking at me to look at the sky, I could see his expressions changing from shock to frown then concentration and then some kind of confusion, which made me sure that he had no idea what was happening either.

“What is it?” Asked Mark in a worried voice as he just made it out of the door, when he saw both Jack and me were looking at the sky, he shifted his eyes from us to the sky too, and exclaimed “What the hell is this thing? Is it some kind of a sand storm?”

I shook my head and answered weakly “No, they are the remnants of meteorites when they hit the atmosphere.”

I looked at Jack questioningly who in response shook his head, he looked as confused as I was to see them too, I can’t help but think, if the first meteorites brought the zombie virus with them, what these new meteorites will bring? At the thought, I felt a shiver goes down my spine.

I felt Jack’s hand on my shoulder which made me look at him, he smiled at me with as much confidence as he could show then whispered “Everything is going to be just fine, and even if it’s not, we will make it fine, didn’t I tell you that before?”

 

*************************

 

 Leo’s POV

I was sitting in the entertainment room, inside the small mansion I created as a temporary residence while observing Earth, on a big rock of the rocks in Saturn’s belt, playing the new game I created while I was observing Rooth, a planet in a different solar system, which contains a variety of monstrous creatures and plants.

To make the game as realistic as possible, I put a lot of the creatures’ and plants’ life essences in the game’s core, so, the game has almost living creatures and plants moving inside it, which made it really enjoyable, well, I deserve to have the best game ever, right?

I sipped on my milkshake and almost moaned at its wonderful taste, I put the cup on the table, and shook my hands and fingers excitedly while getting ready to continue playing from where I stopped, that’s when I heard my superior’s voice calling my name, I cursed under my breath and looked quickly at the room’s door to make sure that he didn’t see me playing this game, since it is prohibited to collect life essences to create wonderful games, I needed to get rid of it before he could see it, though they should allow us to have fun, right?

I took the core as fast as a bolt of lightning and threw it out of the window with all my strength; I could see it hitting multiple rocks in its way and some of the rocks started to move from the strength of the hit with the core.

I twisted my lips afraid that my superior was going to notice the commotion, but unfortunately for the poor me, I didn’t have much time as my superior entered the room, I flashed him a smile and bowed my head a little in greeting, he nodded his head and asked about the situation on the planet Earth and said that I can move to the next planet while checking on Earth from time to time.

As he finished talking and flew in front of me, I took down the mansion, as we are supposed to leave no evidence of our existence. I looked back at the direction in which I threw the core only to see that the core surrounded by thousands of rocks were heading directly to the planet Earth.

I swallowed my saliva and looked at my superior with the tip of my eye to make sure that he was not looking and I used my powers trying to stop the core and rocks from hitting the planet, unfortunately, I didn’t make it time, as they already entered the atmosphere, so, at least, I slowed them down a little then shattered them and prevented them from destroying the planet.

I shrugged my shoulders and sped my pace and followed my superior, after all, it’s not my fault, you see, who told him to come and surprise me?

12