Chapter 21 – Selena
3.2k 14 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-

"Venice."

"Yes, Your Highness."

"Have you ever seen a ten year old say the words 'tumbling in the sheets'?"

"I'm afraid not, Your Highness."

"Fascinating, isn't it?"

There was no reply to that.

Selena smiled and thought back to the interesting interaction she just went through. If it was anyone else, she wouldn't have been surprised to hear those words at all. However, from a girl so young....it was quite blindsiding.

There was a part of the interaction that bothered Selena though. The girl seemed to know her. However, Selena couldn't recall a single interaction with the girl and she took pride in how good her memory was.

"...quite an alarming child."

Selena muttered. Hearing that, Venice thought it over before asking.

"Do you think she might be a future hindrance, Your Highness?"

Selena turned to look at her maid, "I said child."

"...Yes, Your Highness," Venice immediately took a step back while Selena looked away.

The rattling of the carriage muted the sound of the outside world.

Selena wasn't the type to overestimate people. She moved according to knowledge and from what she could tell, the child was not a threat. Although, it felt a bit odd to call the girl a child when she didn't seem like one.

Everything about Lydia Blackburn screamed maturity. From the way she spoke, to the way she dressed and carried herself. Many noble girls loved to act mature but Lydia's maturity was not acting nor was it emulating someone else. Which is why on first glance, she could almost pass for someone Selena's age. If you ignored her height, that is.

Selena mulled it over for a second before ordering, "Tell Rowan to watch his sister more."

"Understood."

Selena hummed and her mind moved to other important things, "How is our plan going?"

Venice hesitantly spoke, "...Unfortunately, our spy was killed before they could achieve anything."

Selena chuckled, "Royal father is as uptight as ever. What about the informants?"

"It is proceeding smoothly, Your Highness," Venice was glad for the change in topic, "Word is spreading as planned."

"I see," Selena nodded and glanced outside the window, "Perhaps it's time for the royal chef to change."

Venice's eyes widened in shock. Selena caught sight of that and her eyes narrowed.

"Is there a problem?"

"N-No, Your H-."

"Do you doubt my decision?"

"I wouldn't dare."

"Good," Selena nodded and adjusted the train of her dress, "If Royal father won't let us add a maid to his eating chamber, we might as well find him a new cook."

"....I shall start working on it."

"Indeed, you shall. But before that..." Selena's hand suddenly gripped Venice's face and she pulled the smaller lady to herself, "Your eyes tell a different story."

"P-Princess S-."

"You think I'm making a move too early, don't you?"

Venice gulped as Selena gripped her face even tighter. When she realized Selena wouldn't continue until she explained, Venice stammered out a response, "H-His Majesty is on guard because of the last maid, n-now might not be...."

"A good time?" Selena finished. Venice hesitantly nodded. Selena smiled and let go of her.

"You have a point. But I think differently. Royal Father might think we won't make a move right after a failure but that is precisely why we will. Right now, he's trying to find out who is behind this and that is the perfect distraction."

"Ohh," Venice enthusiastically nodded like she understood, "You take everything into consideration, Your Highness. Forgive me for not understanding such depths."

"You are forgiven," Selena beamed and the next moment, Venice couldn't breathe.

She clawed at the hand gripping her throat and gazed in horror at Princess Selena's face right in front of hers.

"But I believe I've said there shall be no doubters in my Empire," Selena spoke softly, her child-like face full of innocence.

Crack!

A dull sound echoed in the carriage.

"Ah," a small gasp rang out, seemingly surprised. Selena released her grip, allowing the limp body to fall to the floor of the carriage.

"Well, that was unplanned," she groaned and banged on the walls of the carriage.

The carriage soon came to a stop and not long after, a deep voice called out.

"Is something wrong, Princess?"

"Get us somewhere secluded."

"Yes, Your Highness."

The carriage began moving again and as soon as it stopped, the door of the carriage flung open and a head of dark-green hair popped in.

"What hap-" his words stopped as soon as he noticed the limp body on the floor of the carriage.

He blinked then gave a loud sigh, "Is she dead?"

"What do you think?" Selena rolled her eyes.

He sighed again and massaged his forehead, "Your Highness, it's not easy to find loyal maids. This is already the third one."

"My hand slipped," she promptly provided and he raised a brow. Selena shrugged, "I wish I was joking."

"Oh...." His gaze fell on the limp body again, "She really liked you too."

"She was afraid of me", Selena corrected.

"That's pretty much the same thing," he shrugged, "At least there's no witness to take care of this time."

"Schedule a session with Doctor Rhein. I couldn't control my strength just now. I'd rather it doesn't happen again."

"Yes, ma'am."

Selena watched as he easily picked up the body and turned to leave.

"Oh, and find me a new maid."

 

43