Vol. 3 Chapter 1: Back To Form
418 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The tunnel released a breath of air against Alphonse's back as he entered the enormous cavern. It was akin to the sigh of relief in his chest that begged for a release. He restrained it as he knelt down, placed an ear against the ground and listened. A soft murmur hummed with a consistent tone and pace. Nothing else. The air gratefully escaped through his teeth as he relaxed and rose to his feet.

He took a few more even breaths to maintain his composure and gazed over the vast expanse. His increased perception allowed him to see in the darkness further than the average individual, but even that wasn't enough for him to observe the cavern in its entirety.

Dungeons didn't sit well with him, and with good reason. They were too confined. Sound seemed to trap in the winding passages and answered endlessly in open spaces. The padding of feet faintly echoed off the stone compared to the muffled sound of grass and dirt in the open. Terrible monsters waited in the dungeon. Terrible people walked among ignorant adventurers. There were far more unpredictable factors to consider.

Alphonse remembered it well – the time when he was betrayed by the archer and left for dead a few months back. It was why he once excluded dungeon quests as an option for people hiring his guild. It was safer to accept jobs out in the open where someone was more hard-pressed to stab him in the back and get away with it. Out on the surface his comrades could keep an eye on his blind spots and hold others in check.

But now, he had a guild with people that he truly trusted: two beastkin, two outworlders and two native adventurers. Quite the combination.

His trust was enough to take on dungeon quests once again, but the apprehension still tugged at his stomach. It was obvious that he would have to endure the feeling for more than just a few quests. He knew it was something that a person didn't just put behind him.

He had tasked his allies with securing a perimeter around the cavern. They would hold the entrances for him and ensure that no other monsters interfered with his delicate work. The enemies in this part of the dungeon weren't too difficult, but a few caverns were marked as dangerous by previous scouts tasked with mapping and investigation, which was why he decided it best to have someone join him as backup in case his stealth plan went awry.

Alphonse turned to his beastkin companion as she stepped next to him and examined the cavern. Her feline ears flicked attentively underneath the hood of her blue healers robe. She removed the hood and twirled a finger through a length of her long crimson hair as she listened to the cavern's soft whispers. Her pupils narrowed further as a sharp sound like grinding stone echoed from somewhere.

“You hear it too, Asa?” Alphonse asked.

“Yes,” Asa answered. “It's familiar.”

They crouched near the edge of a short cliff and observed the tall stalagmites that littered the cavern floor. Off to one side was a familiar fissure with smoothed sides and a concave bottom. It extended from the wall on their side all the way to the opposite end at the edge of the blurred darkness. A manta worm had passed through the area – a relatively harmless creature – save for the poison that exuded from the thin openings on its hard shell. The monsters didn't even attack when provoked, but the toxin was deadly for anyone without enough poison resistance. The stat was reserved for outworld adventurers, so natives needed to rely on other protections in the form of potions or specialized spellcasters in a party.

For Alphonse, it was no cause for concern. He had prepared for these particular creatures a long time ago.

Speaking of... Alphonse thought.

He waved a hand and willed his profile in front of him. A transparent screen emerged and displayed information that was typical of the virtual game worlds created on Earth; however, Hovestile was just as real, and people could improve themselves through normal means such as training and other life experience. A person didn't just rely on stats or special active skills. They were merely enhancements for an outworlder's nurtured capabilities.

Many sentient creatures on Hovestile had some sort of profile associated with them that adhered to the world's strange System, but only outworlders from Earth had access to stats.

Alphonse scanned his information:

 

Name: Alphonse Kneller

Class: Scout

Identification: Human

Mana regeneration: N/A

Health regeneration: .6/s    combat exclusion= 2.4/s   

Stats: Vitality - 11      Endurance - 12       Agility - 16                    Dexterity - 18      Sneak - 27      Perception - 33      Proficiency - 11     

Resistances: Poison - 18      Paralysis - 14      Bleed - 14      Fortitude Debuff - 16      Curse – 13

 

According to most systems in role-playing games, a level was usually associated with the accompanying stats. When a Player Character accumulated enough experience, a point was provided for increasing said stats. Sometimes it randomized, and the points were then allocated by whatever system was in place. However, in this world, there was no experience amount to indicate when an outworlder reached a new level. No specific number for the level was provided either, but the supposed System still worked in a similar fashion.

The different stats should have been self-explanatory for anyone experienced in typical game worlds, but it was difficult to tell how much they actually contributed to an outworlder's abilities. Research was conducted at the spellcasters' Spire organization in the capital city of Forgedalk to ascertain the difference between stat gain and improvement through natural means: training, repetition, physical/mental duress and the like. But discerning between the two was understandably difficult with only a few hundred people as a potential sample, and not everyone divulged their personal findings.

Perception had served Alphonse well thus far, and he was unwilling to focus on anything beyond his class's purpose, save for a few occasions where he distributed a value point to dexterity, agility and other similar areas that might prove beneficial. Perception involved a part of himself as a human that was not so easily improved by natural means. He assumed there were others that thought the same as him – to improve physical prowess as they normally would have back on Earth, while using stat points for other aspects not so easily enhanced.

He figured that sneak was similar in a sense. Even without a description, the stat seemed fairly self-explanatory. It hid him better...somehow. Perhaps it was a counter to the perception of other beings. Unfortunately, the research conducted at the facility on Earth didn't dispense any clear explanations before they were sent expeditiously to Hovestile.

But Alphonse was glad that he stuck with his stat preferences. The qualifications for his current quest demanded it for the best results.

Time to get to work, Alphonse thought.

He willed away the floating information and returned to the task at hand. He narrowed his eyes and was barely able to make out some of the thin silk strings that extended between the stalagmites below. The entirety of the area was the hunting ground for a large monster known as a bear spider.

The creature waited on the side of the thickest stalagmite near the center of the cavern. The spear of rock nearly reached the ceiling and appeared glossy in the dusty gray light that trickled from above.

The monster was about the size of what its name suggested, and its thick, brown fur was also similar to that of a grizzly bear. The eight legs had curved spikes at the end like claws and scythe-like appendages that protruded where the limbs canted outwards. Its six eyes were a milky white and oscillated with a thin, nearly transparent membrane. Despite the constant activity of the eyes, the creature was entirely blind. The eyesight of a bear spider deteriorated over time, and the creature spent most of its early years memorizing everything about its surroundings and hunting grounds. It relied on the massive web in the chamber to feel the vibrations of those who touched it.

Many spiders on Earth had the ability to detect sound using the hairs on their legs, but these particular spiders didn't have this sensory potential, which Alphonse confirmed after throwing rocks in an adjacent chamber that was home to another one of the creatures. He'd already researched this bit of information from one of the books he'd acquired back in the capital city's library, but it never hurt to put it into practice.

Thankfully, the bear spiders were relatively independent creatures, so he didn't need to worry about any more of its brethren lying in wait.

The quest involving this spider was far more meticulous than an average hunt. Alphonse's mission was to collect the spider's deadly venom. It was no easy task, which was why the blacksmith back in the port city of La'abrine was willing to pay a generous amount for each vial he obtained.

The poison rested in a small sack lined with thick mucous between the spider's head and thorax. Piercing the area was quick and lethal with a stealth attack. The viscous fluid would seep forth and become vulnerable to the outside air once pierced. The quality of the poison degraded after being exposed for too long, so it was necessary to collect the liquid as fast as possible. Furthermore, if the creature died by other means, then the mucous inside its body that protected the membrane would immediately cease production. The spider required this function constantly in order to maintain the poison's lethality, which meant normal means of killing were undesirable if an adventurer wanted to collect it in the purest state.

The most efficient way to gather the largest amount of poison was to pierce the vulnerable sack at the fleshy area while it was still alive. The best class of adventurer for this task needed high perception, solid balance and superb reflexes.

Scouts fit the criteria rather well.

Alphonse swung his legs over the edge of the cliff and sat down on his rear to prepare for the short descent. He whispered the details of the plan to himself, along with the two other backups that involved the other adventurers in his party.

He turned from his seated position and nodded to Asa. “If things go sour, make sure to use a protection spell. This spider is big and fast.”

The reserved catgirl beastkin brushed a strand of her long red hair aside and frowned. “Is it really necessary for you to go alone?”

“I have to, Asa. I'm the only one who can see the threads. The slightest touch will alert it.”

The catgirl let out an exasperated sigh. “I wish you would let us kill it normally.”

“The more poison, the better.”

Alphonse didn't give Asa a chance to make another retort. He pushed away from his perch. The wall curved a short distance down, and he angled his feet to slide the rest of the way to the cavern floor. The spider remained fastened to the stalagmite and didn't budge an inch, as if it was a part of the stone itself.

The scout moved forward a few careful steps and stopped as a muffled rumbling shook the walls. He figured it was most likely the manta worm making its mindless rounds. Still, the shaking worked in his favor. It was a little easier to detect the threads with the vibrations.

The quakes continued for another solid minute. During this time, Alphonse saw the trembling threads that acted as an alarm for the spider. It seemed to understand that nothing was actually touching the threads since they all moved simultaneously. They were strategically placed in perpendiculars and crossed shapes that forced him to crouch and shimmy sideways between them with careful steps over. The monsters were way smarter than an average adventurer might give them credit for.

He paused at the next set of nearly invisible traps. The silk threads extended horizontally across and attached to two neighboring stalagmites. Even more impressive was that the threads were almost perfectly parallel to each other. The gap between them was too narrow for a human to slip through.

Alphonse almost placed a hand on one of the stalagmites when he noticed that the spider had opted to wrap the jutting rock with extra thread to prevent anyone from climbing. He examined the right and left side. The same fence stood in his way to form something akin to a dead-end in a labyrinth.

Clever bastard, Alphonse thought.

He looked up and estimated that the lengths of thread stacked to about eight feet. There was no way to leap over. Slipping through wasn't an option. Climbing was out. He needed another way to circumvent the threads.

He glanced back at Asa. Alright then...

The catgirl's ears perked up when she noticed him gesticulating wildly for her attention. She rose from her crouch and leaned forward as he motioned for her to slide down to the floor. She assented without any hesitation and gracefully glided down. Her staff was held at the ready when she steadied herself.

Alphonse was impressed when he noticed that she had already caught on to his request. Asa made the necessary motions in preparation for a typical protection spell and held it on standby.

Alphonse held his hands in front of him and separated them a certain distance to indicate how much of the spell he needed. Asa concentrated on a space near his feet and conjured a small platform comprised of the familiar, illuminated hexagons. The scout gave her a thumbs-up, stepped up on the platform and motioned to another spot higher up. The catgirl healer repeated the process until his feet were level with the fence of threads that blocked his path. The stairs of protection slowly faded behind him. He had already examined the other side to see if anymore of the spider's web waited for him and determined that the floor was clear. He jumped over and landed in a half-crouch with one hand planted to steady the fall.

He waved to Asa, and the beastkin let out a relieved sigh before returning to her usual passive expression.

The rest of the navigating was simple in comparison but still required his full focus. Alphonse realized that the outer stalagmites were arranged in a circular formation as the darkness receded before him. The remainder dotted the area asymmetrically and separated a generous distance. This observation made it easier to determine the location of the fenced areas and where cross sections might be placed in advance. It saved a lot of time since he didn't wander into more dead-ends as often.

He froze as the bear spider lifted one of its legs and tapped the curled claw against the stone. The leg bent inwards, and the scythe-blade protruding from the appendage ran along the neighboring leg as if it was scratching an itch. The motion continued for another half-minute, pulling slightly on the threads wrapped around it before the leg returned to its previous position. Alphonse found himself holding his breath the entire time.

Goddammit, Alphonse thought. The monster almost gave him a heart attack when the milky membrane passed over him and seemed to halt for an unexpected second longer. He knew it didn't see him, but the sightless stare still gave him pause.

Don't rush, he told himself. Patience was also an important asset for a scout. He remembered his father telling him that his quiet movements should never instill over-confidence. Silence beget further patience.

Alphonse took another deep breath through his nose and let it out evenly from his mouth. It cleared his head as he approached the last obstacle. He was only a few feet from the massive spider. The sack sitting between its head and abdomen pulsed as the venom pumped in and out.

He carefully undid the clasp on his pouch and pulled out two vials between his fingers. The amount he gathered at the start needed to be almost immediate when he pierced the flesh with his dagger. He hoped to collect at least three more vials. The last one might not be as pure, but still adequate enough for him to sell.

Alphonse lowered himself into a crouch and prepared to leap. The spider clung to the stalagmite, oblivious to the adventurer.

He jumped and dug his dagger into the spider's flesh. The monster let out a terrible, shrill shriek as the blade cut from one side to the other with barely any resistance. The creature went rigid from the shock and froze as still as stone, which allowed Alphonse to quickly collect the venom. Its legs then bent instinctively and pushed against the stone perch, but this only served to deepen the wound as the sharp steel cut deeper and down further. A foul, lime-green fluid spurt forth.

Alphonse jerked the dagger free and rolled underneath the bear spider's body as it fell. Asa activated a protection spell, and the wall of magic shielded him from the sharp limbs that stuck from the spider's legs. The monster thrashed on its side as one of the curved spikes stuck into the ground and propped it up awkwardly. Alphonse managed to dive past the legs and stuck close to the spider's body. The scythe appendages wouldn't reach him since he was at a distance within the joints of its legs. The thick area near the monster's body jostled him slightly, but it wasn't enough to knock him over. He held a third and fourth vial where the venom poured out of the wound. When those filled, he replaced it with another and managed to fill three more vials of the stuff before the greenish hue shifted to a slight purple. He collected this as well, in case some of the venom was still usable even with the mix of blood.

The whole process was terrifying. His attempt a few hours earlier with the first spider ended in failure when he had recoiled and stood dumbfounded for a full ten seconds before gathering his courage.

Alphonse flinched as one of the spider's legs clipped the stalagmite and showered him in small debris. The creature continued to thrash with its pained shrieks echoing around the cavern. Its talons snapped with a dreadful clack like heavy rocks banging together as it bit at the empty air.

Alphonse almost felt bad for inflicting so much suffering on the monster, but he remembered the stories that civilians related to him about how these monsters escaped the dungeons during the cold seasons when their senses were more acute. They attacked the outlying farms, consumed livestock and poisoned the soil with their venom. On rare occasions they even attacked homes and captured people for later feeding. The humans were paralyzed, wrapped in the spider's thread and carried off to the dungeon. The saved food eventually starved to death in the soft cocoons that hung from the ceiling of the spider's domain.

Alphonse understood it. It was the way of nature. Nature wasn't much different in Hovestile when compared to Earth. What the spiders did to humans was similar to a cat that tortured a rabbit. But Alphonse was human, so the spider's actions sickened him.

Alphonse was a hunter. The parts of the spider could be used like all the parts of a deer. Fresh thread might be sold to the local weaver's shop in La'abrine. The venom would be used by the blacksmith to make his concoction that improved weapons. The fur would be used by a tailor. And so forth...

When the deed was done and the spider finally submitted to death, Alphonse stood over the corpse with a bit of satisfaction.

He slotted the last vial in his pouch and wiped his blade with an oiled cloth as he returned to Asa. It wasn't until he took his focus away from his weapon that he noticed the catgirl leaning forward with her staff held up, as if she was preparing an awkward runner's stance. He looked up as the head of her staff rose and realized she intended something entirely different.

She brought the staff down and lightly tapped him on the head with it.

Alphonse winced and looked at her dumbly with his arms raised in defense. “Huh?”

Her cheeks puffed up as she straightened her arms and raised the staff again. Her voice was disturbingly calm, "Dumbass."

Alphonse gawped at her from around his hands and noticed that some of the venom from the spider had splashed on one of his gloves. He stared at the drying poison and realized that it didn't eat through the leather. Left behind was a darker, raised patch like a third-degree burn.

He stared at Asa and read the look on her face. She had clearly noticed it as well.

“Well, that's why I had you here,” Alphonse explained lamely. "Nice timing with the spell-”

His words cut off as she bonked him on the head again with her staff, a little harder this time.

“Dumbass,” she muttered again.

 

11