Vol. 3 Chapter 4: Business
197 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Godsdamn, kid!” the blacksmith clamored upon seeing the result of GRIM's work. In his hand was a wrapped leather potion holder that held the bear spider venom.

He reigned in his excitement and carefully removed one of the vials and rested it on a length of red cloth. He placed his hands flat on the workbench and admired the viscous green color before waving a device like a magnifying glass over it. The tool was infused with a type of magic akin to a delayed spell that ran specific appraisals. Instead of forming at the behest of a spellcaster, the delayed magic lying dormant in the tool was activated with a gem that only required a trace of mana to begin the process. Almost everyone in Hovestile had a mana pool to work with, and these individuals could at least release bits of mana for engaging delayed spells on tools.

The blacksmith let out a whistle as he examined the second vial and set it next to the first one. He prepared the third one on another device that held samples in place with a vice. The dial on its side opened a more intricate piece that drew upon a thin ray of light reflected from a polished piece of metal on the ceiling. The blacksmith released a strand of mana to activate the delayed spell planted within the device.

Standing nearby with perfect repose was the blacksmith's daughter, who was actually rather proficient in mana usage. Even with her basic knowledge, the blacksmith was able to purchase more advanced tools that normally required the services of spellcasters. Having someone with such gifts and as much enthusiasm for his craft saved a lot of time and money.

“So, how is it, Mel?” Alphonse asked. The blacksmith, Amell Seawell (Alphonse figured his parents had fun with that one), had insisted that they address each other on a first-name basis. The man also frowned upon honorifics and any formalities.

Amell pushed the rod section of the device into the rounded glass portion with a loud snap and narrowed his eyes. He ran a hand through his disheveled black hair in a poor attempt to compose himself. He stared at Alphonse until it was apparent he wouldn't waver under his gaze. Alphonse figured it was all just for show anyway.

Alphonse glanced next to him and observed the expression of Amell's daughter. She was rather tall, perhaps an inch more than Alphonse when wearing her heavy boots. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a long ponytail that reached to the small of her back. The attractive young woman's toned body and lean muscle were certainly an intimidation factor, but a trail of faint freckles under her blue eyes added a touch of extra charm to her pretty, and naturally stern expression.

Amelia Seawell was usually around to lend a hand in the forge. It was another reason, beyond her father's skill as a blacksmith, for some of the men in town to become loyal regulars, even if the way she carried herself dissuaded certain advances.

Amelia stepped forward and lifted the vial off the table and turned it over under the light that poured through a ceiling window away from the workbench. She hummed to herself for a few seconds before placing it in the holder off to the side with the other containers: a total of seven.

She turned to Alphonse and clapped her hands together. Her serious countenance instantly dropped and was replaced by a brilliant smile. “You are a godsend!” she said. “But you must also be completely insane to get so close to a bear spider.”

Amel scratched the back of his head in bewilderment with his eyes still locked on the vials. “I was expecting maybe two or three, but to think you actually got this many. The last bit was about the quality I expected, but the first few...godsdamn, I can't believe the purity.”

Alphonse let out a relieved sigh. “So, how many do you want?”

The blacksmith and his daughter gave him an incredulous look. They glanced at each other for a moment and stared back at him as if he were an actual bear spider that wandered in.

“We'll take all of them,” they said in unison.

Alphonse forced a laugh. Wow, they must do some pretty good business.

After negotiating a suitable price, Alphonse fell into a more cordial conversation with the father and daughter. They even agreed to use one of the purest forms of the venom to infuse his new custom-order dagger. The venom was actually used in a concoction to create a substance that increased the durability of weapons. Smaller weapons could also retain the lingering poison effect with the help of more basic toxins to maintain it.

Furthermore, they would carry out the remaining process for free if he agreed to do exclusive business with them, should he ever stumble upon more useful materials. He figured it would be foolish to pass up the opportunity, and he promised to do so for the duration he spent in La'abrine.

Amel pulled a latch on the floor to reveal a set of stairs leading into a basement. The blacksmith explained that the area beneath the forge was left at a certain temperature, and the dank atmosphere would prolong the venom's properties. The amount Alphonse provided would easily last them a few months.

“I guess the rumors about your guild were true,” Amelia said as she lounged back on a stool. She propped her elbows on the workbench behind her and gestured to the seat across from her.

Alphonse accepted and sat straight with one arm habitually resting near the dagger on his belt. “And what rumors might those be?” he asked.

“That you break the typical conventions of adventuring guilds,” she said. “You have very little manpower, so I'm surprised you put all of your resources into this job.”

“We're taking our jobs on an individual basis,” Alphonse explained. “Quality over quantity, I guess you could say. And we are more focused on local business dealings.”

“Good to know.” Amelia nodded approvingly. She hesitated a moment before pointing at the scarf that obscured the lower portion of his face. “And, um, any reason why you wear that scarf all the time? Seems like it would be hard to breathe after a while.”

Alphonse feigned a look of surprise and rested a hand on the scarf. “I'm going for a certain persona. Are you saying it doesn't suit me?”

Amelia laughed. “I'll be honest, you pull off the look rather well, but I'm sure you have another reason for it.”

Alphonse shared in her mirth and waved his hand jokingly. “You're right. This scarf actually has properties that hide my information from appraisal spells.”

It was no mystery that outworld adventurers had stats that boosted their abilities. Natives were not born with such gifts, and it was understandable that some were envious of an extra perk in Hovestile's System. But Alphonse's circumstances after being betrayed by his party a few months earlier put him in a rather unique situation.

“Ah, I see,” Amelia said. “Smart man. I'm guessing it's a sort of relic left in a dungeon by the Dysian people.”

“I would imagine so,” Alphonse said. It wasn't a lie. The scarf was of Dysian make, but it was also enhanced by Kirie and Asa's mother, Rinka. There were still treasures to be found in the unexplored expanses deep underneath the continent, thanks to the ancient civilization of the Dysian people. There were other individuals who had similar gear with different strange abilities, which made dungeon exploration even more enticing with the promise of rare loot. The downside was that such gear did draw some unwanted attention, especially from spellcaster organizations in the Spire at the capital city. The smaller university of La'abrine also had its share of spellcasters that liked to make a nuisance of themselves.

Amelia gave him a wink as she leaned forward in her seat. “Maybe you should consider trying a different look. Perhaps if you went out for some drinks?”

Alphonse straightened a bit in his seat. “That sounds like an invitation,” he said quickly.

He tried to ignore the extra pounding in his chest at the thought of drinking alcohol. He'd already had a terrible experience back in Forgedalk after a certain Siren Incident. But he knew that staying a total recluse wasn't the best option either.

“It is,” Amelia answered. She gave him a wry grin, and Alphonse realized that she had misread his change in demeanor, which only served to make him more apprehensive.

I've never had much practice with flirting, Alphonse thought with dismay.

“Feel free to invite the other members of your guild,” Amelia said mercifully. “They seem like a fun group.”

Alphonse suppressed a relieved sigh and relaxed in his seat. That...makes things a lot easier...

He didn't want to jinx himself like last time. Saying that everything was going to be fine usually ended up being a bad omen.


Alphonse traversed the now-familiar streets of La'abrine. The pale, flat brick roads of the port city were a refreshing change of pace from the dull colors and rises and falls of Forgedalk's layered districts. The plain, immaculate buildings were distinct despite their similarities. It wasn't necessarily the structures themselves, but the people that owned and frequented the districts.

After only a week, Alphonse recognized the older woman who sat in a rocking chair on her porch to welcome passersby to her weavers shop. The city's tailor was next door with a middle-aged man sporting a well-trimmed anchor beard and curled black hair standing out front. Despite his professional, eremitic appearance, he was probably one of the most friendly and prone to making bad puns during conversations. There were plenty of other stores, but the two stood out after Alphonse sold the bear spider silk and fur.

The road widened and made a natural incline to an open plaza. More shops circled the area with generous space between them. This allowed the ocean breeze to enter freely with the strong traces of salt. It also carried the scent of fresh fish brought to the docks during early evening. The smell was addicting for Alphonse, who had never seen the ocean in his entire life.

At the edge of the plaza was the Guild Union headquarters. It was almost an exact replica of the grandiose building in Forgedalk. The weapon symbols were engraved in the neoclassical style pillars and below the angled roof. The structure was two stories instead of three, but was also wider in order to accommodate visiting members of larger guilds.

Alphonse ascended the long length of stairs and paused at the double-doors leading to the main hall.

“How did it go?” Alphonse turned to the familiar voice and regarded one of his guild members leaning against one of the pillars. The blonde archer stood with her arms crossed and took a bite of a skewered fish on a stick.

Alphonse raised a hand dramatically. “We made a killing.”

“Told yah so,” she said between mouth-fulls of fish.

“I'll never doubt you again,” Alphonse laughed. “Still, maybe we can find a safer way to improve our gear.”

Anya pushed herself off the pillar and started walking towards the guild entrance. She gave him a wide grin and jabbed his arm playfully with the stick. “This coming from the guy who wants to chat with a lamia.”

Alphonse didn't have a comeback for that one. When he learned that a race of lamia actually existed in Hovestile, he could barely contain his excitement. Apparently, there was a tribe of them a few miles out at sea near a large island that was part of a collective simply known as the Misted Isles. They mostly kept to themselves, but never showed any real hostility to humans, despite the chaotic nature mentioned in books he'd read on Earth. Those stories usually ended with humans being eaten. On Hovestile, if a ship entered their guarded waters, the lamia usually gave a warning and let them on their way.

He'd seen pictures of them in the library books that Kaede had acquired for him. They had the lower bodies of scaled serpents, but their upper bodies were entirely akin to humans. The scales trailed in a thin line up their thighs all the way to the nape of the neck. All of their teeth were sharp as daggers, but about the size of a human's. Another strange detail mentioned was that an appraisal spell would actually classify them as demihuman, yet people viewed them universally as monsters, much like the Siren that attacked in Forgedalk. The interpretation of what people considered monster and demihuman was still baffling to him.

Alphonse pushed the doors open and they entered the outpost's main hall. The red carpet leading to the guild receptionist's desk was familiar. The area off to the side was dotted with the typical standing tables. Tapestries in a variety of colors swayed in a light breeze from the half-open arched windows at the second floor.

Standing at the reception desk were Alphonse's demihuman companions. Kirie and Asa faced in his direction when they finished their discussion with the receptionist. Kirie's eyes lit up when she saw him waiting. Even Asa allowed herself a small smile, but she maintained her typical even strides.

“Still no client?” Alphonse asked. After reaching La'abrine, the members of GRIM had taken turns visiting the outpost to see if anyone from Jin Hanlon's quest had arrived to see them. So far, their curiosity wasn't sated, but Alphonse was convinced that there would be someone eventually.

He recalled most of the quest details:

'The quest receiver's objective is to meet with an unnamed client at the Guild Union's La'abrine branch. An escort will be available to guide the quest receiver, and the meeting time will be within one week of the receiver's arrival in the city.

After successfully making contact with the client, the receiver will wait a minimum of two weeks before proceeding back to the capital city of Forgedalk. Three weeks maximum will be the limit for delay.'

Kirie crossed her arms in irritation. “Are you sure we're even supposed to meet somebody?”

“Based on how the quest was worded, I'd say there is definitely someone here, or will be here. It's only been a little over a week. We should give it the full time,” Alphonse said.

Asa nodded. “I agree. If the quest was meant to mislead, then using a fake name would be better to throw spies on a false trail. And there are plenty of ways to use our time.”

“Like going out for drinks,” Anya said.

Kirie joined in, “Yeah! Sounds good.”

Alphonse and Asa remained silent and gave them a stern look that said, "Seriously?"

The other two were not so easily deterred and shot them a similar look. Both sides stared each other down. Any onlooker might assume that the silent feud was actually heated. Kirie was even leaning forward with one of her hands clawed like a cat ready to pounce on a mouse.

The staring contest didn't last long. Anya's shoulders finally sagged when she realized how pointless it was. Asa and Alphonse wouldn't budge in the slightest. They could go on for an hour if they really set their minds to it. There was just no way to compete with their patience. Kirie mimicked her exasperation with a roll of her eyes.

“Ugh, you two are so boring,” Anya said.

Alphonse and Asa didn't even look at each other as they clapped their hands together in a double high-five. Asa was a natural when it came to impassiveness, and Alphonse felt that he was improving greatly with his stiff stoicism. He grabbed the scarf covering his mouth and pulled it up slowly and deliberately until it rested just beneath his eyes. Asa lowered her hood in the same manner until she had the appearance of some evil sorceress. The two of them started cackling wickedly beneath their garments.

Kirie and Anya glanced at each other awkwardly, like best friends who had brought the two people that nobody liked to a party.

"Seriously, you are way too good at that," Kirie said.

“Man, that's fucking creepy.” Anya bit down on her empty fish stick.

Alphonse and Asa nodded in unison.

“They fear us,” Asa said.

“Indeed. Well done, lieutenant." Alphonse saluted her.

Asa's tail shot straight up, and she returned the acknowledgment. "Thank you, sir."

"You can be real dorks sometimes," Kirie muttered. She shared another look of vicarious embarrassment with Anya, and they both hid themselves behind their hands and giggled.

"Something funny?" Alphonse asked.

"Yeah," Anya said when she regained her composure. "I don't think I've ever seen you like this."

"You too, Asa," Kirie laughed.

Alphonse crossed his arms and seriously thought about it for a moment. What they said made sense, especially with how hectic everything was over the past few months. He found it even more encouraging that Asa actually went along with his dash of silly roleplay. It took him a while to recall the last time he felt so relaxed, and he realized it probably started back at Ash's tea shop.

The fox woman would've probably scolded him for acting so childish.

"Well, I was planning on having a few drinks since Amelia mentioned it," he admitted. "We'll make it a guild outing."

Needless to say, Anya and Kirie were pleased by this news, and it was their turn to high-five each other. Even Asa didn't seem to mind. Alphonse noticed her smile beneath her lowered hood.

She stepped next to him and nudged his shoulder. "I'll keep an eye out for you."

 

I sometimes forget to add certain cat traits. Well, I managed to fit one in here.

8