Vol. 1 Chapter 3: Mother
2.2k 11 67
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'A short while,' she'd said. The walk was anything but short. It felt like an endless trek of winding corridors, empty rooms and spiraling staircases.

One positive was the lack of monsters during the start of their journey. The only foot traffic Alphonse had picked up with his enhanced perception was from what appeared to be a set of heavy boots. Unfortunately, the tinges of yellow that highlighted the prints were so faint and disjointed that he couldn't be entirely certain. His first guess was that they belonged to the other beastkin, Kirie. He'd crouched down and examined them without any assistance from his enhancement and let his experience as a tracker take over. He wouldn't allow himself to become too dependent on mana. It was a useful shortcut but not a replacement for his own observations.

Alphonse stared in awe when he scaled the most recent staircase and beheld what appeared to be the ruins of a destroyed city. Man-made structures threatened to crumble from a breath of air. Canted platforms struggled to support crippled statues that dutifully kept their silent vigil. Purposeful paths were partially obscured by debris and corroded with black scars. What appeared to be an hourglass-shaped natural formation at the center of the cavern was actually a purposeful structure with winding stairs carved into the outside. It melded into the floor and ceiling, breaking off at sections with narrow stone lengths akin to the gnarled branches of a tree.

It was no mystery that the dungeons beneath the continent were created by an ancient civilization, but he'd never seen the remains for such a large populace. The architecture was far more defined and held a bit of gothic inspiration. The opportunity to savor such a sight was certainly rare.

Alphonse shook himself from his reverie when he noticed Asa skirt off to the side with her staff raised. She flicked its end a couple times and an orb of white light appeared. Its glow seemed to smother as it extended a few feet out to reveal the faint outline of a doorway.

She led him off to the side as they went through, and they skirted the city on a winding path in the cavern wall. Alphonse remained wary of what unknown enemies might lurk within the ruins, despite the carefree strides of the beastkin healer.

He did well to hide the discomfort as his leg complained. Outworld adventurers healed faster than native adventurers due to the extra health regeneration, but even that could only accomplish so much. It did little to recover his fatigue.

Asa seemed to read the dissatisfaction between his short gasps. “You arrived on the opposite side of the sanctum. I deemed it necessary that we start your treatment as soon as possible, but perhaps my sister pushed you too hard.”

You're one to talk. I just woke up, Alphonse thought.

Most of the journey from the dungeon was a blur. He remembered Kirie showing up and assisting him, but the rest eluded him. There was plenty of walking and hiding. It had been much of the same as the three days following the betrayal, but at least he was able to share it with someone else rather than alone.

“Why did you help me?” Alphonse asked.

The response was immediate, “Mother will explain.”

Back to their mother again. Alphonse figured they held her in high regard. She seemed more like a commander of a beastkin army rather than an actual mother. Asa's responses were also painfully concise. Any attempts at conversation to defer attention from his exhaustion were shot down.

A short while later, they arrived at a narrow, arched bridge that extended over the remnants of what appeared to be a large plaza. At the cliff's edge Alphonse could make out what appeared to be an empty fountain, more statues and mounted slabs that looked like benches. His adventurer's instinct kicked in as he wondered what sort of loot might be hidden amongst the rubble.

"Nothing of value remains," Asa assured him. "Perhaps we should rest. It would be unfortunate if you succumbed to exhaustion as we crossed."

Yeah, no kidding, Alphonse thought. The strange ruins had been a great relief as a distraction, but the pain flared in his leg once again.

He limped over to what remained of a squat building that might have once been a small lookout, judging by the broken parapets and small sitting space. He settled himself down on the rubble and extended his leg out to alleviate the stress. The beastkin healer sat cross-legged on the ground and rested her staff delicately in front of her. They sat in silence, with only the occasional sound of released air traveling through unseen, distant openings somewhere in the vast cavern.

To Alphonse's surprise, Asa broke the silence first, "Why are you here?"

Alphonse extended his arms behind him and propped himself up as he interpreted the question. "You should know already. I'm an adventurer, and this is a dungeon."

"No, I mean Hovestile. I ran an advanced appraisal spell to confirm it. You are indeed an outworlder."

Alphonse frowned. He knew about such magic. It allowed a spellcaster to read information about an individual. This included names and the stats latent within an outworlder's being. The spells were terribly invasive and tapped into the connection that an individual had with the System of Hovestile. The System was something that seemed to function moderately within the realm of science, but it was also more divine and spiritual. The people who sent Alphonse and the other outworlders from Earth analyzed it from a technological standpoint thanks to computers, but the denizens of Hovestile viewed it more like the existence of gravity or precipitation. The System was a natural existence that was born alongside sentient life.

Appraisal spells consumed an absurd amount of mana, so a spellcaster couldn't simply cast the spell without restraint or good reason. Second, not just any spellcaster could pull it off without practice and immense concentration.

"Maybe you could answer my question first,” Alphonse said.

Asa pursed her lips and nodded at his reasoning. "It isn't that I don't want to. Even Mother doesn't have a full grasp of our situation, but she will be able to explain it far better than I can. I only hope that we reach a conclusion that is mutually beneficial."

"That's...pretty vague." Alphonse let out an exasperated sigh and decided not to broach further on the subject. "Well, to answer your question, I'm supposed to be here to save my world."

He raised his hands in a dramatic flourish as if preparing to recount a grand tale – a story of chosen heroes sent to another world to save their own. However, he quelled any sort of high expectations the woman might've had for his answer.

Instead of going into greater detail, Alphonse lowered his hands into his lap and simply shrugged. "But, well, I have my own personal goal."

Asa gave him a half-smile when she realized no further explanation was forthcoming. "That's pretty vague."

"It is."

The silence returned, but Alphonse found that it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as before. Despite the beastkin woman's calm countenance and impartial attitude she had a bit of good-natured humor about her.

She kept a respectful distance and only approached when Alphonse made a slight wince as his leg stung.

"What is this place?" Alphonse asked.

Asa stared out over the decrepit buildings below as she cast her healing magic. Her eyes locked on to the grand hourglass structure at its center. "It was once an ancient city, as I'm sure you surmised. It shared a name with two others not far from here, but they were each given a number. This one is known as Hollow'dys One."

Alphonse followed her gaze and examined the impressive structure. "Strange. What's so special about that building?"

"It was a library," Asa said. Her feline ears flicked a bit. "Perhaps a place of government as well. Most of the books were burned or destroyed by magical means. What we were able to collect and preserve is at our home."

"I'd sure like to read some of those."

"I'm sure Mother would have no objections." She began walking towards the bridge as a sign of finality. "Time to go."

Alphonse clapped his hands on his knees and forced himself up. "Alright, lead the way."


The rest of the trip was fairly straightforward. Once they'd crossed the narrow bridge it was more spiraling tunnels and unnecessary staircases. They seemed to extend as wide as they were long with the edges vanishing into deep darkness. They were forced to slow down and maintain close proximity in order to make use of Asa's orb of light.

The final leg of the journey was a long hallway with smooth walls of swirling gray and amber hues. A natural sort of faint light emitted from peculiar sections where the colors melded to form shapes like whirlpools at distinct intervals.

After what felt like hours, they arrived at a massive set of double doors that reached tens of feet above. Strange runes and symbols decorated it with no surface left blank. They overlapped, mirrored and traded foreground and background. Some of them seemed faded and ghostly, as if the design was intended to appear between two planes of existence. When Alphonse moved closer, some of the shapes shifted like a lenticular image.

A large, brass knocker on each door depicted the heads of some ferocious cat creatures. Asa reached for a ring hanging in one of the mouths and banged it against the door. After waiting a few seconds she moved to the other. The dull sound of heavy metal colliding didn't echo around them but seemed to drain away into the slits of stone slabs mounted on the walls. The doors slowly opened inward without so much as a groan.

Revealed beyond was an impressive chamber bathed in pure white. The size was generous enough to fit several hundred people comfortably, but most of the space was reserved for small ponds fed by intricately carved fountains. Statues of faceless individuals wielding various weapons dotted the stone walkways with a milky luster. At the center of a circling stream was a short pedestal holding a thick book with black binding.

Alphonse found the room captivating, but the individual who sat on the far opposite side was even more so.

A beautiful woman rested her hands on the arms of a throne raised by a short dais. She wore a simple silk dress of sky blue with a transparent fabric trailing the bottom that revealed up to her ankles. It split and held at the shoulders, much like a halter, to reveal a bit of her pure white skin.

Upon seeing Alphonse, she rose gracefully from her seat, rested a hand to her chest and bowed. Her emerald hair brushed the ground with the movement and revealed a familiar pair of cat ears.

She righted herself and displayed a charitable, relieved smile. “Welcome, Adventurer, to the Submerged Oasis.”

Her voice felt like a warm embrace. If Alphonse thought it was impossible to have a perfect being in this world, then she was pretty close to convincing him otherwise.

A few awkward seconds passed as she waited patiently for his response.

“I-uh...” He felt a slight nudge from behind and saw Asa urging him forward with her staff. When they reached the center of the room, Alphonse bowed low enough that his head almost hit the floor. “Thank you for saving me. My name is Alphonse."

The woman placed a hand over her mouth and giggled. “Please, be at ease. You are among friends here.”

Friends? Alphonse looked around and noticed the other feline beastkin, Kirie, was off further to the side leaning against one of the statues. Dangling from her fingers was a ceramic jug. She crossed her arms with the deepest scowl her face could muster as his eyes lingered.

He looked to Asa for some guidance, but she just stared at him with distracted indifference as she messed with a few strands of her hair.

Alphonse slumped forward. 'Friends'...right...

He straightened himself as Kirie moved towards him. She stopped at arm's length and offered him the jug. "You must be thirsty," she said simply.

Alphonse was only able to muster a quick nod of thanks and accepted the water from her.

Kirie was now close enough for him to notice the faint shadows shifting on her face. He looked up curiously and took a startled step back when he saw the ceiling. It was no wonder why the place was called the Submerged Oasis. Above was a rippling body of water that hid the ceiling, if there even was one. He thought it was a trick of the light, but the fluctuating image of a sun seemed partially obscured by the water. There didn't seem to be anything physical holding the water in place since it flowed much like in the open air and crawled down sections of the walls to feed the ponds below.

Alphonse felt the saliva building in his mouth as he observed the water. He took a few swigs from the jug but stopped himself when he remembered his nausea back in the dungeon.

Kirie raised an eyebrow at this and nodded approvingly before she turned to join her sister.

The woman's voice seized his attention, “My apologies. I have yet to introduce myself.” She bowed again. “My name is Rinka. As you may have guessed, I am a beastkin, or demihuman, as some humans call us. I am also an intermediary for the Construct Contract. You have already been acquainted with my daughters, Kirie and Asa. I hope they were gracious company.”

"Yes, they were. I'm sorry, but this is all...” Alphonse trailed off. 'Overwhelming' was the word he was looking for, but that was an understatement. He continued to stare at the magnificent spectacle of the oasis. It seemed a short time ago he had been at Death's door. The doors to this place suddenly felt like the gates of Heaven with Rinka as the benevolent angel to guide him.

He froze as a specific part of her introduction registered. Wait, Construct Contract? He instinctively stared at the book resting on the pedestal.

Rinka nodded in understanding as she followed his gaze. "I apologize. You only recently escaped the jaws of Death, and yet here you are being told of something beyond your understanding." She leaned forward. "Surviving alone in the dungeon was no small feat. Something must have driven you forward. I wonder, Alphonse, what kind of man are you?”

He didn't even have time to consider the question as Kirie spoke up, “He's too trusting.”

Asa added her own observations, “He's stubborn.”

Alphonse whirled on them. What the hell?

A scowl marred Rinka's beautiful face. “I don't recall the question being directed at you two.” Her thin pupils narrowed, and the cat ears on her head twitched with irritation.

The catgirls clamped their mouths shut. Alphonse found himself mirroring them even though the anger wasn't directed at him.

“'Trusting,'” Rinka whispered. She rested a contemplative hand under her chin. “Yes, I do sympathize. Truly. Kirie apprised me of your situation. A cannot fathom what spawned such enmity – perhaps even cowardice.” She lowered her voice at this last statement, as if trying to hide her words.

“Tell me,” she said, “how has this affected your perspective for adventuring in the future?”

Alphonse clenched his fists as he recalled the past few days. Someone he considered a friend left him behind. Then the other man, who his friend recruited in the first place, enacted the betrayal. He wasn't sure about the girl, but she'd done nothing to help as well. They could have tried something. Anything. Just an attempt would have been enough. He didn't expect them to stick their necks out and join him at the guillotine. An attempt, no matter how small, and he would have understood. That's all he asked.

They'd done nothing.

He was so absorbed in his boiling anger and frustration that he nearly forgot Rinka initially posed the question.

His silence seemed a sufficient response. “'Stubborn,'” she continued. “I would prefer the word 'resilient.' A fine quality, but one must understand limitations. Still, this is a promising start to our discussion.” She regarded her daughters, and they went rigid. “You may have spoken out of turn, but it did spur some fruitful questions.”

Kirie and Asa remained silent with only the slight nod of their heads.

Wow, they really respect her, Alphonse thought. Or fear her. Or both.

“Trust is such a fickle thing,” Rinka continued. “One must have your quality of resilience to understand it is sometimes a necessity that changes much like the weather."

Alphonse stifled a frown as he considered her words. Her prodding questions didn't sit right with him. They were too abrupt despite her conversational tone, and something seemed to shift in her voice that he couldn't quite place. He stared at the strange book on the pedestal and wondered how it fit into all of this. Dancing around the main topic didn't seem wise in his worn mental state. He feared what might happen if fatigue fully took over his senses.

"I'm guessing this string of questions leads to this weird book," Alphonse said. He added almost as an afterthought, "And why you saved me."

The mother stared at him with an unreadable expression, and Alphonse forced himself to hold her gaze.

A genuine smile formed on her face, and she let out a relieved sigh. "I do appreciate your candid nature. It is as you say -- our reason for saving you is not limited to simple generosity. And so, I would like to make an offer that will hopefully be the start of some trust between us."

Alphonse shifted uneasily as she took a deliberate pause.

"What lies in front of you is an opportunity, a gift for when you find yourself backed into a corner," she explained. "Furthermore, if you accept this contract, I will bestow upon you the assistance of my trustworthy daughters.”

Daughters, huh. Alphonse glanced over his shoulder at the two beastkin. He didn't think it was possible, but the frown on Kirie's face appeared even more demeaning. Asa showed no change in expression, but he did notice her hands twirling faster through her hair.

His muddled thoughts finally caught up with what Rinka was saying. “Wait, hold up. I'm sorry, this is a lot to take in all of a sudden, and my brain is still a little fuzzy, but are you saying these two will join my party?” Alphonse asked.

“In a sense," Rinka said. "You see, I am bound to this place as the contract's intermediary. In turn, my daughters are bound to me and are unable to travel beyond a set distance from this place. But I have made a deal that allows me to transfer this bond to another who holds a contract.”

I get it. That's why they saved me. They're basically trapped in this place, Alphonse thought. I'm their way out.

"Have you ever heard of alchemy?" Rinka asked.

Alphonse nodded. "I know a bit. Equivalent exchange, right?"

"Correct," Rinka said. "The Construct Contract is an ancient tome, said to be created by a powerful alchemist, that makes deals of equivalence with its user. If the contract deems the exchange equal then it will be carried out. However, you could offer something greater than the request and it will approve. But the contract does not hold the same values as sentient beings, especially in regards to what is physical. I have paid my own price that allows Kirie and Asa to join you if you accept."

Rinka shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she pondered the next bit. "I did mention it was a gift, but it can also be a curse. I don't wish to deceive you. Over time, it is inevitable that more will be lost than gained if the user is reckless. And the only way to possess the contract in the first place is to offer something it deems equivalent to itself. What I ask of you is certainly a hefty price."

Alphonse blanched at her explanation. The whole situation was fantastical to the point of complete absurdity.

He lowered his gaze to the floor and stared at the immaculate surface. She had him hook and line so far, but not sinker just yet. She wanted him to offer something equivalent to this so-called contract so he could become its owner, which would then free Asa and Kirie. He felt that he owed them a great debt, and they seemed decently capable. It was enticing without a doubt, but now it came down to what he needed to offer to obtain the contract in the first place. It was a choice that could drastically alter his outlook of the future.

He lifted his gaze slightly and stared at the black book on the pedestal.

I know nothing about these three, Alphonse thought. And they know next to nothing about me as far as I can tell. I'm just a stranger they found wandering in a dungeon. This contract sounds dangerous, and this bond she's talking about is way too vague.

The decision with the contract wasn't his only concern. Someone in Hovestile wanted him dead. It might just be the archer, but Alphonse couldn't fathom why someone he'd recently met wanted to kill him. Perhaps someone else hired him. The reason still eluded him, but who could he trust? Maybe the spellcaster girl and his friend were in on it as well. They'd done so little to help that it seemed like a possibility.

Alphonse reasoned that he did have some leverage. Rinka wasn't just offering him an opportunity. He was also their opportunity.

“Okay.” Alphonse took a deep breath and forced himself to look directly at Rinka. “Before we go further, I have an important question to ask. Please don't take this the wrong way if I seem blunt. Really, I'm grateful for everything. You all saved my life.” He gestured to the two beastkin behind him. “But what makes them so valuable that I would want to give up something important?”

Kirie uncrossed her arms and clenched her fists. “Are you saying we're weak?”

Asa stopped fussing with her hair and feigned a hurt look. “And after all we've done for you. Such a cruel man.”

Alphonse raised his hands in defense. “That's not what I meant at all! I just don't know anything about you. And mentioning this contract out of the blue and telling me I have to give up something important...that could change everything for me. I have a whole future to think about!”

Rinka grimaced. “He is correct. I understand his dilemma. I apologize for being so indelicate, especially since you are still recovering from such a terrible ordeal."

Her words held the sincerity that Alphonse anticipated. He recalled feeling something similar when he spoke to Asa before they arrived at the oasis. He glanced behind him at the two catgirls. Asa stared at the floor with a somber expression, her staff clutched tight to her chest. Kirie still maintained her look of perpetual annoyance, and the trembling of her arms was apparent.

Alphonse sighed and composed himself. "It's fine. I'm sorry, I could have worded that better."

Rinka's fingers visibly tightened and she closed her eyes. "Now that you have a grasp of what I'm about to offer you, I would pose another question. Alphonse, what do you want from this world?"

Alphonse's mind blanked at the unexpected question. The answer had always been at the forefront of his thoughts, but the words were lost as Rinka slowly opened her eyes. They seemed to bore into his very soul. Her pupils narrowed even further than when she analyzed her daughters.

Am I just unlucky? Alphonse wondered. Couldn't these two leave me just like everyone else? No, they would be bound to the contract if I made the deal.

Then it dawned on him. He recalled the change in Rinka's tone as she spoke to him about the contract. Her speech wasn't as calm and controlled as when she introduced herself.

She's also desperate.

He looked up at Rinka and attempted to read her expression, but she'd gone completely neutral during his ruminations.

“I need some time alone,” Alphonse said. “Give me time to think.”

 

 

67