Arai 03-04
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 03:

Evelyn liked working for the Armor family. Ruth was a smart girl for her age. She treated Evelyn like a real person a little more with each passing day. Bella was friendly and showed more trust as the days went by. Evelyn had heard Bella checking in on them trying to be quiet.

Sheriff Jake was kind and showed himself to be a good man from what Evelyn could figure out.

Evelyn had slowly worked her way into becoming Ruth's personal servant. Now, Evelyn's body had completed it's self repair. She was back to being fully functional minus the lost memory files.

Names and places from her past life were gone. At best, she could recall a word or two or a few images.

Evelyn opened her palms and a holographic image of winged bat creature appeared with a human rider on it's back.

“Oooo...which book is that from? ” Ruth asked from the chair she used to catch the evening sun. Evelyn was using the chair next to Ruth's to get a quick recharge from the fading sun light.

“It's a Leather-Wing. They come from the place, where I came from. ” Evelyn answered still unable to fixed her damaged files. Pretty soon, she gave up and delete that corrupted data while keeping the bits that made any sense.

“Daddy said people made the Gardeners a long time ago. They are pretty docile unless you go out of your way and really hurt them. He said they were just starting to make new animals as pets and working animals. ” Ruth said repeating what adults had told her all her life.

“Girls, time for your bath. ” Bella call from below then went back to the kitchen to clean the dishes the old fashion way.

“Come on. ” Ruth said getting up using her forearm crutch to make her way to the bathroom they shared.

Evelyn rarely needed the bath room space for two main reasons only. The first was to wipe down her outer skin casing so the micro solar panels could get direct sunlight. The second reason was making sure her outer appearance was presentable by examining herself in the mirror.

Since Evelyn only need to unzip her front she was always first to undress.

“May I help you remove your clothes, Ruth? ” Evelyn asked Ruth.

“Thanks. ” Ruth said already managing to get the bottom half of her clothes off, but she always struggled with the top half. Evelyn helped her out and neatly laid the clothes down on the counter.

Evelyn went over to the tub after helping Ruth and started the process to get the shower started. She made sure the water temperature was safe for human use.

Then Evelyn took a wash cloth for herself. As Ruth lifted herself over the step into the shower area. Evelyn started the process of wiping her skin clean.

Ruth took a seat in a sturdy outdoor plastic chair that was left in the shower just for her.

“Daddy must of had an interesting day for missing dinner. Maybe, he found more people like you. ” Ruth said letting her imagination go a bit wild.

“That is highly unlikely, Ruth. I know, it took us weeks or even a month of travel to get this far and I rode inside the truck's trailer. ” Evelyn said recalling some of the places she had seen. Stored recordings of country side, and buildings falling apart.

“Were they your friends? ” Ruth asked over the noise of the water.

Evelyn processed her remaining memory files before answering.

“I think, they treated Roxy better then me. They were not mean to me nor nice. I was mostly there to crawl into places where they could not. My job was to locate precious metals and give medical aid when needed. ” Evelyn answered deciding she liked working here instead of being on the road.

“I'm happy that you are here. Bella is real nice and I hope she marries my daddy one day. You have been my only real friend in a long time. Silly to think that, since I known you for a week now. ” Ruth answered back and stayed quiet for a while.

Evelyn finished cleaning herself and dressed in a spare night gown that Ruth no longer used.

Evelyn helped Ruth into her own night clothes and both were ready for a night's rest. Ruth invited Evelyn into her room and Evelyn always took a spot by the doorway to the second floor porch. There she would lay down in a low power mode until she was needed.

Ruth went to her bed and picked up the book she been reading. Evelyn volunteered to take their dirty clothes down stairs for washing. Ruth thanked her and returned her attention to the book.

As Evelyn was leaving the back room where they washed clothes. Sheriff Jake called her into the kitchen.

The dishes were done and the adults were seated around the kitchen table.

“Have a seat, Evelyn. ” Jake said and Evelyn did so noting that full attention was being focus on her then Doc Wilson.

Doc Wilson pulled out an empty injection dart and laid it on the table for Evelyn to inspect.

“Do you recall what this is? ” Doc Wilson asked in a gentle tone if dealing with a real person suffering from memory loss.

“That is an injection dart. The word printed on the side. Regen stands for Regeneration. I'm sorry, my memory bank was damaged and no further information could be found. If I were to guess, I would say a drug or gene treatment meant to alter human DNA. ” Evelyn answered and realized through all her memory files she had no record of anyone missing limbs say for Ruth.

“Well, I took some of this stuff a few days ago and I'm pretty sure it's not a drug. I never felt better and my toes grew back. Tonight, I risked giving an injection to little Thomas who was on death's doorstep. A few minutes later, he was recovering like it was nothing. ” Doc Wilson explained for Bella's sake.

“How many of these injection darts are there left? ” Bella asked her hands flexing it wanting to frisk Doc's medical bag for one.

“We have twenty-two left now. It's the reason we came here. Me and Jake talked about it on the ride over here. We have a limited supply and feel certain people should get them. First, would be the children of the orphanage. They have the highest risk of getting sick just like Thomas did. Then, we were thinking the young adults of the community. People like you and Jessica. ” Doc Wilson said knowing what Bella was going to ask next. Jake was next to speak.

“I now believe, that the people who made, Evelyn. Were coming here to give us the stuff in those trucks. Perhaps, the first truck that was burned was loaded with the Regen stuff. Maybe, they wanted to take over town, make an alliance, or sell it to us for a price. I think, the last one was most likely. ” Jake explaining his theory.

Jake knew the residents of Last Hope would have empty their houses of all rare metals that once were valued in the old world before the super bug.

“Let me guess. Five females along with five males. Breeding stock. ” Bella said looking at Doc Wilson sharply then Jake. Jake was impressed by her intelligence.

“Young couples who can have kids. As you can guess, we decided between us the whole council doesn't need to know for now. They might waste the injections on themselves. ” Jake explained.

Bella's eyes fell on old Doc Wilson if accusing him.

“I used myself as a test subject and being the only fully educated doctor. I felt my decision was justified. ” Doc Wilson said before Bella could give him a verbal lashing.

“And the last injection? ” Bella asked having a strong feeling who would get it.

“For Ruth. ” Evelyn answered after listening to the adults discuss their plans. Evelyn had read their micro expressions and Jake's eyes had glanced toward the stairs.

“It might be selfish of me, but your going to test that stuff on me first. An old man and a sick little boy is one thing. We have no idea if can repair major body damage without killing someone. ” Bella said holding out her arm then exposing the skin.

“Jake, you better hold her down. She will thrash around for a minute and the pain can be a bit intense. ” Doc Wilson said and prepared himself to inject Bella.

“I can take it, doc. ” Bella said tapping her mask covering her burned skin. Doc Wilson nodded in agreement

Jake moved behind Bella ready to hold her down in the chair. Evelyn gave her advice to Doc Wilson on the best vein. Instead of her arm they both agreed her neck was better.

What followed was Bella moaning with pain as Jake held her then relaxing as the burning sensation all over her body passed. For Bella, it was nothing compared to her original burns she had recovered from.

“Okay, now you Jake. ” Doc Wilson said Jake looked confused.

“Uhh, I think my skin will be a problem. ” Jake said referring to his almost super human tough skin. Jake knew It took a lot of thrust power to pierce his skin. Jake strongly suspected his bones and muscles had been enhanced.

“I think, you know where your weak at. Eyes or the mouth? ” Doc Wilson asked and Jake nodded.

Jake opened up his mouth Doc Wilson injected him next. Jake thought his body was on fire for a full minute then the pain passed.

“Now, I know it doesn't kill. I'm willing to let you try it on Ruth. ” Bella said as she looked to Jake for a silent agreement.

For what came next would be the hardest part for Jake.

Together, they climbed the stairs and came to Ruth's room.

Jake knocked on the door and explained who was with him.

Ruth invited them all inside making sure she was covered up first. Which Ruth thought was kind of silly. There wasn't a person in that room that hadn't seen her without clothes. It had been Doc Wilson who helped her recovery after losing her leg and arm.

Between Jake and Doc Wilson they explained everything. Ruth listened and looked to Evelyn last. She confirmed the word's meaning on the injection dart.

Ruth agreed after hearing everything, but asked one important topic the adults were avoiding.

“Won't the other town leaders be upset? ” Ruth asked looking at her father.

“Me and old Doc talked about it. Five normal people and five people with powers sounds fair. Father Micheal's orphans are always at risk in getting sick living together the way they do. ” Jake answered watching as his daughter nodded.

She held out her only remaining arm, but Doc Wilson shook his head and told her that the injection would go into her neck.

Ruth screamed as the pain hit her and her father was there holding her down until the burning pain passed.

Ruth felt very tired after wards and all of the adults left her to get some sleep.

Bella went straight to bed along with Jake. Doc Wilson left the house with plans to visit other young couples in the morning. Then, he would pay a visit to Jessica then he would wander around the shield wall until he found Victor on his patrol.

Chapter 04:

Evelyn stayed with Ruth the entire night making sure she was okay.

When morning came it was Bella who woke first and walked a fast pace to the bathroom. With trembling hand she removed her mask and gasped with shock. Dead skin fell away to reveal smooth paler skin under it.

She stripped there and brushed away every spot where she had been burned. She was fully naked, but didn't care. Her body was unmarked and her full beauty had been fully restored.

Bella ran to the bedside and shook Jake awake who blinked many times before he realized who he was looking at.

“Bella!? ” Jake asked not believing his eyes, but it was her.

“I'm beautiful again. ” Bella said running her hands over her face.

“You were always beautiful. ” Jake said taking her into his arms and making her giggle like a school girl. She knew what he wanted so early in the morning as his thread bare boxers took on a tent shape.

Upstairs, Ruth woke up to the call of nature. She looked to her stumps first and thought they looked different somehow. Had it all been a dream Ruth wondered. Then Evelyn spoke.

“How are you feeling after your injection?” Evelyn asked

“Never better, but I got to pee real bad. ” Ruth said with a rude smile.

Evelyn helped her friend get to the bathroom quickly and left her alone to do her business.

As the days passed the transformation was slightly noticeable with each passing day. Ruth's stumps grew longer and it wasn't long until she had fingers then toes. Evelyn was there helping her to adjust to her changing body.

After a full week had pass Ruth was whole again. The only downside was she was told to stay inside and out of sight. As for Bella, she made sure to wear her mask when she went outside and wore the high neck dresses she hated.

Jake knew he couldn't hide the truth for very long. With Doc Wilson's blessing, he arranged a time slot on the next routine town meeting. Bella could bring Ruth and Evelyn to the meeting a few minutes late.

The town auditorium was pack as normal. Since the topics affected everyone in the community. The only people not there were those assigned to protect or uninterested in coming to every single meeting.

Grievances were voiced along with reports from various farmers on how well the crops were doing. Even Victor spoke on the condition of the shield wall. Jake knew they always needed spare parts.

Then it came to be Sheriff Jake's turn to speak.

“Ladies and gentlemen. I imagine by now everyone here has heard of our new resident. I can say that, she is a very unique person. She was found alone with only a dog. Many of you saw old Doc Wilson drive the armored truck into town. As per the town leaders standing orders. We have divided the goods found inside the truck where they would do the most good. Food went to the local orphanage and plants to our farmers or greenhouse owners. ” Jake said to break the ice.

“They are sure thriving in my greenhouse. ” Marie Ever-sprout said much to small amused laughter. Any plant that Marie Ever-sprout was around would grow and stay healthy since it was her passive power.

“Your welcome, Mrs Ever-sprout. Now without any further delay. I would like everyone to meet Evelyn. ” Jake said and from the back as they planned. Evelyn walked out from the side of the stage.

Jake got the response he expected.

Murmurs and talking rose up as Evelyn took center stage wearing one of Ruth's old dresses. Now, nearly everyone could see the story was true.

“Evelyn is a machine. An amazing complex machine people called androids. Her main function was to provide health care to those in need. Until recently, she looked after my daughter, Ruth. ” Jake explained and watched as Doc Wilson gave the nod to show that he was ready.

“There was something else found on board the truck. Something, I will let our good town doctor explain. ” Sheriff Jake and let his friend take center stage as he moved Evelyn off to the side with him.

“People of Last Hope. As one of the town's leaders. I made the choice on a very limited resource. At first, I thought it was a drug for restoring health called Regen. Which is short for Regeneration. Much later on, I learned it's true value. Whoever made Evelyn also had advancements in medicine that I can only imagine. Before you ask. This limited resource is already gone and given out in the form of injections to those I have deemed most worthy. I think, showing you the effects will have the greatest impact. ” Doc Wilson said then motioned for Bella and Ruth.

Together they came out and it took a few extra long seconds before some people realized that Ruth had all of her limbs. Bella took this moment to remove her mask that half covered her face.

The noise of shouted questions and people talking with each other rose up a great deal then.

Judge Ivan Rota stood up and being well respected as one of the town's leaders managed to quiet the crowd down.

“Settle down, people. I'm sure Doctor Wilson Lightweight will answer some questions. ” Ivan said remained standing so he could look back at the crowd.

“Who did you deemed worthy? Those with powers only. ” Preacher Brooks asked making it sound like it was favoritism. Jake didn't like the number of people nodding in agreement to Christopher Brooks.

“First person was myself as a test subject to make sure it was safe for people. In hindsight, rather foolish of me being the oldest medical professional in town. The second person to get the injection was little Thomas who was deathly ill. Father Micheal can confirm to how close the boy was to death's door. ” Doc Wilson explained looking hard at Christopher.

“It's true. I was about ready to pray for little Thomas one final time. Then, doc guided through some divine will saved the boy's life. I wept with joy, after wards. Now, I see it was a higher power that did help us. Bringing us this gift from the outside world. ” Father Micheal said loudly after standing up. Father Micheal sat back down once he was done talking.

“Sheriff Jake soon found me after wards. I dare say. that he came there that evening to help bury the boy's body. I reveal the secret of what I did to Thomas to save his life. To say the least, my old friend was out raged with me. It took some convincing on my part to let me inject his daughter. Who better then the one person who had suffered the most. Both mentally and physically. ” Doc Wilson said pausing to look at Ruth who gave him a weak smile.

Bella bent low to whisper to Ruth and pointed toward the side stage where Jake waited. Ruth nodded and moved off to the side to rejoin her father. Bella stepped forward a little so all attention was on her now.

“If I may irrupt your fine story, doc. I had volunteered to be the next test subject. Testing it on an older man and sick boy was one thing. We had to know if it could be used on a damage body without killing them. Perhaps, it was selfish of me. Is there anyone here who wouldn't have done the same in my condition? ” Bella asked and a lot adults looked ashamed the way they treated Bella by avoiding contact.

Few could meet her eyes after she been burned so badly. Bella wore her mask to avoid looks of disgust she saw in others eyes. Doc Wilson nodded before going on.

“Miss Bella wanted to be sure if was safe for Ruth, personally. To answer your previous question. The majority, that got this treatment are normal people. I injected the orphans due to their high health risk and young couples trying to have children. Focusing on our town's future as we always done. I believe this gift will be passed down from injected parents to future children that they will have. ” Doc Wilson explained watching most of the angry expressions fade away.

“What about my child? ” Mrs. Rose Filnor asked looking down at her teenage girl. Everyone turned their attention between one the town's school teachers then back at Doc Wilson.

“I'm sorry, Mrs. Filnor. There wasn't enough for all of the children of this town. You have my solid promise, if we come across more of this Regeneration stuff. I vow here and now to give it to the children and women first. Starting with the youngest ages to the oldest. ” Doc Wilson said and everyone could sense he was nearly done speaking.

“What are the chances such a gift will come again? ” Preacher Brooks asked not to Doc Wilson, but to the people around him. Again, Jake didn't like how so many people stayed quiet or nodded their heads. Those sitting next to Preacher Christoper were his most devoted followers.

“It could be weeks, months, maybe even as long as a year. Whoever these people are, I have little doubt that we shall meet them in person. I have taken far too much time on stage. Thank you all for your time. ” Doc Wilson said and moved off stage with Bella.

Others took the stage then and talked about other interests. Sheriff Jake stayed behind while Bella, Evelyn, and Ruth went home.

Sheriff Jake watched Preacher Brooks left with his little group of followers. Not long after the meeting was over with. It was Mrs. Rose Filnor that came up to Jake to speak with him. Bracing himself for a tongue lashing he was caught off guard by her question.

“So, when I can expect Ruth back at school? ” Mrs. Filnor asked with a warm smile.

“Well, she can go back tomorrow. Would it be okay if Evelyn also went too? She can be your teacher's aid or assistant? ” Jake asked thinking it was a good idea that Ruth get back to her old life.

“That's a wonderful idea. Just so you know, Sheriff. Now, that I had a little time to think about it. I agree with Doc Wilson. I think, it was best. The orphans and your daughter have suffered so much in their young lives. You have sacrifice so much in keeping us safe. ” Mrs. Filnor answered.

“It's a group effort, Mrs. Filnor. We work together as a community. ” Sheriff Jake said seeing the woman nod in full agreement.

“So true. Take my husband for example. Once, he owned the only car body shop in town. Now, he is the town's only blacksmith. Who would have guessed a hobby from his teenage years would prove so useful later on in life. He is a key part of this town's life. ” Mrs. Filnor said and Jake nodded himself.

“Does he still call his war hammer that little nickname? ” Jake asked being somewhat friends with Mr. John Filnor. Jake thought about how John was the only person in town who killed the most cannibals to date. Amazing feat considering he had no power and used a war hammer he forged as a teenager to keep as a wall decoration along with a few tribal weapons.

“Oh, yeah. Black Thorn, It's hanging on his workshop wall along with that viking shield he recently made. ” Rose said proudly raising her head up a little higher. Her plastic beads tinkling a little in her tightly black braided hair. Jake never could figure out how she got her hair in such tight cornrows.

“Reminds me of a comic book character, I read about in my early days. I suspect your husband read the same comics or saw the movies. Of course your husband shaves his head every morning. So, no long flowing hair. ” Jake said a bit amused.

“You should have seen his Afro that he used to have. Well, I better get going. I got school lessons to prepare. ” Rose said chuckling a little.

Jake said farewell and made his way around to other people getting caught up on how well others were doing. Food was always a concern and things people needed.

When Jake got home not long after the girls arrived. He informed Ruth she would be going back to school. She perked up when he mention that Evelyn would be going as well. That night all of them went to bed far later then normal and rose up before the morning sun.

One of the side effects of the injections they learned was all them needed less sleep now. Jake spent his extra time fixing up the house and maintaining his small collection of firearms. Bella helped him with his firearms and also looked after their clothes.

“Maybe I should go back to being a nurse. Doc Wilson could use the help and someone needs to be town doctor one day when he retires. ” Bella said having some time to think about her future. She picked up a pistol and dry fired it then nodded. Bella moved onto the next gun to ensure it was working properly.

“Wonderful idea. Get you out of this house more often. The only downside that I can see. I will miss your cooking. ” Jake said with a smile and wondered if Bella had dreamed herself being a nurse again.

“I will try to get home before Bella and have supper on the table. You know, Evelyn can cook too. I taught her a few things and it was part of her programming. ” Bella said and from the way Bella said programming. Jake knew it was Evelyn who taught Bella that word.

“She has been a blessing on this house. ” Jake said. Upstairs they both heard boards creaking.

“The girls are up. I will get breakfast started. ” Jake said deciding he better get back into the habit of cooking once more.

Ruth came down dressed in nice clothes and Evelyn wasn't far behind. Evelyn scanned the table and quickly realized the adults had been cleaning all the firearms in the house.

“Ruth, help me put these away in the normal spots. Evelyn, see if Jake needs some help in the kitchen. I know you can't touch a gun due to your programming. ” Bella said finishing with the last firearm.

As Bella moved around the house loading each firearm and hiding it away. Ruth was behind her holding the next fire arm in a low ready position like she was taught. Pointing away and down just in case a bullet was in the chamber.

Ruth remembered the time her father had accidentally shot a hole in the floor hitting the hot water pipe. No one like the cold showers that night and Jake repaired it the first chance he got in the morning.

With Evelyn's help breakfast turned out pretty good if Jake had to say so.

The table had been cleared by the time they sat plates down. The plates were full of food. Evelyn not taking a seat. Instead she walked outside as the morning light started to peak over the hills.

Jake had been around the little android during her recharge times. Part of him felt like he was intruding on something private. Evelyn had no modesty what so ever. It made no difference to her if she was wearing clothes or not. The one time he accidentally saw her without. He saw only a doll's body.

Evelyn reminded him of a Barbie doll if she was life size and made to move like a person.

Jake made a mental note to go the other way out of the house when he was ready to saddle his horse.

“Such a gentleman giving a lady her privacy even if she is not human. ” Bella teased noticing where Jake's eyes had been. It amused Bella that Jake would give a machine privacy.

“Comes with living with two fine young ladies. ” Jake said taking Bella's hand and raising it up to kiss it.

“When can I be your bridesmaid?” Ruth asked watching the adults closely.

Jake knew he his daughter was smart, but he had no idea she wanted Bella to be part of the family so soon. It was Bella who answered.

“Well, we haven't really talked about getting married. I didn't want you to think. That I was trying to replace your mother. ” Bella said emotionally touched by Ruth's question. They had grown close to each other over the past year. Something about being outcasts had created a bond.

“I know. She would have liked you and I think that we should make it official that we are a family now. We can even make Evelyn my sister. ” Ruth said ready to declare to the world she was part of a family again.

“She's right. If you like, I can get on one knee right now and make the offer. ” Jake said ready to do so. He was still holding Bella's hand.

“No need. My answer is yes. We can have it here among friends and Father Micheal can make it official. ” Bella said looking from Jake then over to Ruth.

Jake pulled out a chain necklace that was tucked under his shirt and grip the engagement ring looped on it. With a firm jerk he pulled it breaking the little chain. He offered the ring to Bella who looked at it with a bit of shock. It had belong to Jake's first wife and she knew he carried it to remind him of the cost of keeping people safe.

“I'm sure. ” Jake said seeing the question in Bella's eyes and allowed him to slide onto her left ring finger.

Bella was crying with joy now and Jake felt his own eyes getting a bit misty. It had been a spur of the moment kind of thing for both.

They spent the rest of breakfast discussing wedding plans. All too soon for Ruth it was time to head to school.

She rode double with her dad while Evelyn kept up on foot. Evelyn was dress much the same as Ruth and even had some shoes of her own now.

Ruth dismounted after giving her dad a quick kiss on the cheek once they got to the road that led to the school building. She walk the rest of the way with Evelyn.

He rode off for the town leaving the girls behind.

Evelyn walked beside Ruth and other kids could be seen walking just ahead. Some were even walking up the hill to the building. They past the long wood shed then entered the main school building and went to one of the few rooms still in use.

They were early and Evelyn was introduce to Mrs. Rose Filnor. Evelyn listened as Ruth was given an assigned seat then the teacher told Evelyn her duties as teacher's aid.

Evelyn understood she was to help out in educating her students and perform little tasks. Slowly the room filled up and Evelyn stayed next to the teacher's desk. Kids looked at her as they passed on the way to their desk.

When the class seats were nearly full the teacher got up and closed the door.

“Good morning everyone. Today, I like to welcome back Ruth to our school. Hard to believe it's been only a few years. I'm sure a lot of you have many questions for her, but let's wait until lunch time. Let's give, Evelyn a warm welcome with one big hello. We go around the room and each of you will introduce yourself. ” Mrs. Rose Filnor said once she had their full attention.

Evelyn watched and stored each person's face and name into her recently repaired memory banks. Then Evelyn was instructed to stand to one side as the teacher started the lesson by writing on the black board behind her.

Evelyn over heard students talk in whispers and pass notes to each other whenever the teacher's back was turned. Evelyn remained silent and took in the lesson. If Ruth needed help with her homework. Evelyn wanted to have a perfect record of everything the teacher said.

It wasn't long until the teacher checked the time and dismissed the students to the next class.

Evelyn wasn't welcomed into every classroom and once she was told to stand outside the door to the classroom. She stayed out of sight, but heard everything within.

One teacher welcomed her with open arms. Evelyn understood he was the math and science teacher by the name of Eugene West.

“I been saying it for months. The wonders that we had in our day. Not sure where she came from. Just look at her students. A true marvel of technology and I suspect advance software. ” Eugene West said as he beamed at Evelyn if she was the greatest thing he had ever seen.

Evelyn saw he was an older man and like Doc Wilson must have been an adult before their world changed for the worse.

“If I may? ” Eugene asked gesturing toward Evelyn's hands. Evelyn nodded and showed him her hands. He moved his fingers over the gems trying to puzzle out their function.

“Okay, what are these? You got me stumped. ” Eugene asked looking extremely curious.

“Hologram emitters. I can project images into the air for entertainment. ” Evelyn said and saw the confused look on the teacher's face.

Evelyn quickly processed that it would be best to show them. Rather then trying to explain it.

The sunlight was temporarily block by a cloud so Evelyn held her hands outward over the student's heads. The next second a pair of ghostly Leather-Wings with riders appeared in a mid air race. Swooping and darting at each other to be first.

There were surprised screams and gasps from the children then clapping.

“Marvelous! Simply incredible. ” Eugene West half yelled caught up in the excitement of the moment. The Leather-Wings faded away as Evelyn closed her hands.

“Class, I have a wonderful idea and if Miss Evelyn is up to it. Would it be okay, if you use your hologram emitters to help teach the class? ” Eugene asked turning to Evelyn for the final answer as students begin pleading and calling out yes.

“I would be happy to assist you in improving the mental well being of the students. ” Evelyn answered.

“Excellent. This week, we were discussing volcanoes. ” Eugene said opening his text book to a picture of one. Evelyn displayed the volcano in mid air from the text book she had just scanned with her eyes.

For half of the class they talked about how they were formed. Then, they moved onto Math and Evelyn displayed numbers in the air to help students understand it better.

During lunch time while the students sat in various groups outside. Evelyn took this time to stand in the sunlight adsorbing as much light as she could with her clothes on. Ruth was seated nearby eating the lunch that her father had packed for her. The lunch box was faded and looked old. Much like the school bags most of the students used.

Some girls that Ruth used to know came over and joined her catching up on lost time. Ruth happily discussed all of the books she read. It wasn't long until the topic came to Ruth's newly regrown leg and arm. The other girls asked to touch her arm and Ruth submitted after some coaxing from the other girls.

“I thought my daddy was playing a nasty joke on me when he told me. ” Emily said to Ruth gripping the arm if trying to figure out the trick.

Evelyn heard the boy stomping toward her before she ever saw him. The sudden noise of his quick steps alerted her to the danger. She quickly side step the boy as he try to push her.

Joel, who was the largest boy in the school fell past Evelyn barely catching himself before he face planted into the dirt.

“I'm sorry, I cannot willingly allow myself to come to harm say only in the defense of another. ” Evelyn said watching at the boy stood up quickly with an angry expression in his face.

“Joel, leave her alone. ” Ruth said standing up looking like she want to step in.

“Shut up, freak. She is not even a real person. I just wanna see if she bleeds. ” Joel said glancing back at Ruth then returning his full attention to Evelyn. Joel put his hands up making them into fists and started swinging at Evelyn.

Evelyn easily dodge each swing and almost appear to dance away then circle around Joel. This caused the other students to start laughing. The kids started clapping and stomping was next in a loose ring as they cheered Evelyn on.

Ruth was grinning as it appeared that Evelyn was dancing with Joel who looked clumsy. Evelyn had him going round in circles making him look a bit foolish.

“Joel BROOKS! ” A harsh female tone said and at the sound of adult the students went quiet and parted as three teachers came out marching right for them.

Mrs. Rose Filnor, Eugene West and a male teacher Evelyn haven't met yet came out.

“Both of you, inside now. ” Mrs. Filnor ordered and Evelyn followed with Joel on the far side of the adults.

They came to an empty classroom no longer in use. The room was dusty and only a teacher's desk remain leaning slightly to one side.

“I think, we know who started it. ” Mrs. Filnor said looking from the adults then directly at Joel.

“Fighting is against the rules, young man. ” Eugene West said next looking hard at Joel Brooks.

“We weren't fighting. ” Evelyn said and the adults turned to her perhaps shocked at such a statement.

“Mr. West can explain what programming is, but I was made not to fight unless in defense of another. Joel did not touch me nor did I harm him. ” Evelyn said and saw Joel had a surprised look as well.

“Evelyn, we saw him throwing punches. He could have hurt or damage you. ” Mrs. Filnor said.

“I'm sorry, Mrs. Filnor, but that is incorrect. Joel doesn't have the physical strength to truly harm me without a weapon. I was preventing him from harming himself. If I may demonstrate with that old desk over there. ” Evelyn asked pointing to the desk left unused. Clearly everyone could see it was already damaged.

“Go ahead. We were going to chop it up for firewood next winter. ” Eugene West said and Evelyn walked over to it. She raised her hand over it only a few inches then brought it down on the desk snapping the solid layer in two.

The desk's surface had cracked with a loud sound then collapsed in on itself. Evelyn then explained her amazing feat of speed, durability and strength.

“My outer skin is slightly flexible transparent organic metal with a light weight metal alloy skeleton under it. If Joel Brooks had landed a single punch. He would have broken his hand. I moved out of the way to prevent him from harming himself. Without a weapon, he was no threat to me. ” Evelyn explained and Joel had gone very pale at this point. The boy only figured out at that moment how lucky he was. Punching Evelyn would have been like hitting a solid wooden wall.

“We haven't officially met. I'm Mister Leon Beaut. I see your point, Evelyn. Since, it wasn't a real fight. We will only punish him for trying to start a fight. After school, I be seeing Preacher Brooks with his son to discuss a short suspension from classes. I'm sure there are extra chores the boy can do at home. ” Mister Leon Beaut said and the other teachers nodded in agreement.

Evelyn was dismissed and rejoin Ruth who waited in the hallway just outside the next class room.

“That was awesome. He always been a bit of a bully and never liked anyone like my dad. ” Ruth said once Evelyn was in ear shot.

“I was only preventing him from harming himself. I'm a lot tougher then I look. Joel Brooks would have done more damage punching a stoen wall then hitting me. ” Evelyn said and Ruth looked at her if appraising her in a new light.

“So, your body is really tough like my dad. Your last name should be Armor. ” Ruth said pulling Evelyn into the room. Ruth went on a bit longer describing how funny everything looked from an outsider's point of view.

Mr. Beaut came into the room with Joel Brooks at his side. He directed the student to take a seat almost in the corner.

“Welcome back, Miss Armor. Please take a seat wherever you like. Evelyn, if you could please stand over there by the window until the end of class. ” Mister Beaut said then started the class.

The rest of the school time passed in peace and Evelyn was walking back home with Ruth.

0