Ch. 1 – Thrown into the Deep End
1.2k 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thrown into the Deep End

 

Kris stood, blinking repeatedly, trying to get his bearings. Uh...did I take a wrong turn somewhere? Turning his head around, his surroundings were all a translucent blue as far as he could see.

“Hello, Kris,” came a voice to his side.

Turning to look at the origin, he saw a glowing woman sitting in a chair. Based on her looks, his most apt descriptions would be 'angel' or 'goddess'.

“Um...” Kris was both too nervous and too confused to formulate a response.

The woman smiled, looking to try and reassure him. “It's okay. You died in your old world, but you've earned the right to be reborn into a new one.”

Kris did an involuntary shudder. “I...died? But...how?”

The woman crooked her head slightly. “I could tell you, but...are you sure you want to know?”

Kris closed his eyes, shaking his head. Based on her reaction... “I guess...maybe not.”

The woman nodded, “Exactly. Don't worry about it, just focus on your next life now,” she added, taking a clipboard with a piece of paper off the table next to her. “Here, take this and choose where you'd like to be sent,” she explained, handing him a pen as well.

Kris grabbed the clipboard. Getting isekai'd is like renewing your passport? What is this? The first question had two options. 'Would you like to be born as an infant, or be transported to your new world as you are?' Huh, that's a good question. Maybe I'll skip it for now.

The next question was 'Would you like to be in a game-like world?' Wow, they just come out and ask it?

As if sensing what he was thinking, the woman explained, “We started getting a lot of requests for that kind of thing, so we figured it's better to just ask upfront now.”

Kris blinked a few times, I guess that's not surprising. Of course, I want to as well! He checked the box for yes. He thought he heard the woman give a small sigh, but when he looked, she was still smiling at him.

Well, if I'm doing that, then I'd rather just get right into it, he thought, while checking the box for being transported as he was into the first question. Since he was nineteen, he'd still have most of his life ahead of him, and he could skip the boring childhood part. Actually, isn't that a good idea anyway? This new world might be dangerous for children.

He noticed the questions below now pertained to his game world (it seemed like the paper was automatically extending itself to include more questions as he answered). He checked 'yes' for wanting non-humans, 'yes' for the fantasy-esque, 'yes' for magic, and so-on.

The last question, importantly, asked if he wanted to keep his memories from his old world. Hmm...I feel like I'd be throwing away my advantage, right? With this, he checked 'yes', which caused a new question to appear underneath.

'Are you going to attempt to acquire a harem of woman?' Kris blushed. With the way some of the questions were worded, I'd been thinking it, but... He shook his head. Of course I am. I never even kissed a girl in my previous life, let alone had sex. Isn't acquiring a harem of beautiful woman what you're supposed to do in this situation!? He confidently marked yes and handed it back to the woman.

Without looking at it, the woman threw the paper into the air, and it burned away.

 

The world around Kris warped, until he fell on his butt.

Blinking a few times, he realized he was on a hilltop, the sun shining out over a countryside. Ooooookay...guess we're just getting right to it then.

He took a few seconds to think through things. Okay, so I'm supposed to be in a game world now, right? So let's see... “Uh...status?” he asked tentatively.

A status screen came out in front of him. Kris grinned in glee. It's got my name and my age at the top. Let's see... Underneath his name, it had 'Skills'...but none were listed underneath. What!? They isekai'd me without giving me a single skill!? Wow, I guess no cheat starts for me.

As he was about to curse the goddess from earlier, a book hit him in the head. Rubbing it as he bent down to pick the book up, Wait, did she send me with this? I'm sorry, thank you goddess! He brought it up towards his face to open. However, when it made contact with his status screen it...disappeared.

What just...he stared blankly at his hand. However, when he looked at his status screen, it now had 'Fire Magic – lv. 0' written in a box.

Wait, fire magic!? How do I cast it? He tried touching the Fire Magic box, which opened into a new sub-menu. On that, was a 'Spell List', of which currently only one was listed.

“Scorch?” he asked, reading the name of the spell. As he did, a ray of flame shot out of his right hand, burning a small patch of the grass underneath him.

Kris jumped back in surprise, looking between his hand and the spot he had made. Guess I need to be careful. Looking back at his menu, he noticed the blue bar on the right side of his menu screen was missing a third. As he watched, it seemed to be slowly refilling. On the other side, there was a green bar. I'm guessing that's my health then.

Turning around, he saw that behind him was a walled city. Oh, there we go! The starting town! “Uh...status off,” he said, and the menu screen disappeared.

Trying to contain his excitement, he walked down the hill towards the town. A road was heading towards the gate, so he joined the throng of people and wagons heading that way.

As he walked, he was in awe of the various races he saw. There were some humans, but also elves and dwarves (or at least that's what he'd call them), and several different races that were based on different animals.

Kris also noticed he was getting a few odd looks. Looking down, he realized he was still in his tracksuit. Oh yeah...I'll need to get some clothes from this world.

Considering his tracksuit, he also thought about his circumstances. This happened kinda quickly, didn't it? I was just going down to the conbini, and now I'm...here. I mean, I'm here now, so I guess it's whatever, but still...

He didn't get too far into this thoughts, before he realized he was nearing the gate. Above it was a sign, reading 'Coburn'. Coburn, eh? Wait...I can read? Did that appear in my status?

As he thought 'status', his status screen appeared again. Oh...I only need to think it? Saying it was cool though...

He wondered if anyone could see his status screen. A couple of the nearby walkers did look over at him. One man, armored with a broad sword, he thought even gave a snort.

Was that at me? Well, whatever, I'm not picking a fight with him. Status off! he thought emphatically as his screen disappeared once more.

There were guards at the gate, looking everyone over. Their gaze did seem to linger on Kris for a few seconds, but they must not have been worried about him, as they didn't stop him.

Once inside, Kris stopped. Uhh...now what? Kris thought about what normally needed done in this type of situation. Um...I guess I join the guild, right? I know fire magic, so I should be able to hold my own in combat.

Luckily, right inside the gate was a building with 'Adventurer's Guild' written on the sign out front. He cheerfully walked over, pushing open the double-door to enter.

The guild was alive with activity, people sitting around tables, eating and drinking, and many people gathered around large boards around the edge.

At the other side of the building, there was a desk with a dark-skinned elf girl sitting behind it, writing something out. Kris walked up, waiting patiently.

The girl looked up, giving a warm smile. “Hello. May I help you?”

She's gorgeous! I hope this world has more like her! Maybe I'll be able to get her into my harem at some point? Trying to act cool, he replied, “...Yes, I was hoping to sign up for the guild.”

The girl blinked a couple times, looking him up and down. “Of course. May I see your status screen?”

“Oh, yeah. Status!” he responded, forgetting he didn't need to say it.

The guild girl waited a few seconds, before awkwardly asking. “Um, could you turn it towards me?”

Kris looked around the screen nervously, How.... He noticed there was an icon with two arrows making a circle near the top, next to an 'X' icon. Clicking it, the status screen flipped around, so it was now facing away from him.

The guild girl smiled, “Thank you.” She clicked on his skills, his fire magic, and several other buttons, faster than Kris could keep up.

What is she doing!? I didn't even realize other people could click on your screen.

The guild girl was writing things down as she flipped in and out of screens. After a minute, she flipped the screen back around to him.

Kris clicked the 'X' to close out the status screen.

Sliding the paper over, she explained, “With your current levels, you'll be our lowest rank, Wood.

Ah...well, that makes sense, I have one skill at level 0. “Okay.”

The guild girl quickly grabbed his hand, pricking his thumb, before putting it on a box at the bottom, all in one swift motion. “It's usually better if we do it for the Guildmember,” she explained as if this was an everyday occurrence.

Kris blinked, before sucking on his thumb to stop the bleeding.

The guild girl took his paper, now glowing vaguely blue, to the back.

Kris looked around. Looking at the boards, he noticed they all had different descriptions above them. He noticed one at the far end said 'Wood'. There was several people occasionally taking glances at him. Maybe it's normal to haze the new members? Or maybe their scouting me for their parties?

The guild girl returned, giving him a wooden tag. There were two small holes on the side.

“Is it normal to wear it?” Kris asked.

The guild girl nodded. “Some do, usually on a bracelet or necklace. Some merchants give discounts to Adventurer's Guildmembers, but it's not anything we regulate. Do you need an explanation of how the guild works?”

Kris nodded, “Yes, I probably need an explanation on...everything.”

The guild girl smiled, “Of course. So, starting out, you may only take requests that are your rank or below. Since your currently Wood, you can only take Wood ranked requests. You may take as many as you like, but if there's a time limit and you don't complete them during the time limit, it's considered forfeited, and you have to pay half the reward as a penalty.”

Kris nodded to show he was following. Makes sense so far.

“If you are in a party, you can take requests up to whatever your highest member is. How you split the reward is up to the party to decide.”

Also makes sense. It'd be nice to find a party that splits equally...

The guild girl continued, “We provide some services here, for a fee. We also pay monster bounties you have outside of requests.”

“Monster bounties?” Kris asked, raising an eyebrow.

The guild girl nodded, grabbing a book and opening it up. There was a list of monsters with different amounts to them. “Yes, we'll check your Monster Log, and pay for any monsters you killed.”

Monster Log? I guess that's somewhere in my status screen?

“Is there anything else you'd like to know?” she asked.

Kris shook his head. “No, I think I'm ready to get to it!”

The guild girl smiled, “Good luck!”

Kris walked over to the 'Wood' board. Hehe, maybe if I rise the ranks quickly that guild girl elf will be impressed! I wonder if she's single?

Stopping in front of the board, there was a ton of papers, some stacked on top of each other. Hmm...finding a puppy? Collecting herbs? That's not very exciting...ah, here we go! He grabbed a paper, which said 'A lone goblin has been attacking our livestock. Fifty copper for slaying the creature.'

 

Hmm, I should be able to handle a goblin right? Actually, I don't have a weapon....Kris checked his pockets. They were completely empty. Wait, I didn't even get sent with any money!?

Kris shook his head, It's fine, I got Scorch, and my mana is replenished, so I should be able to take a single goblin, he assured himself. Where do I go though? There isn't a map.

Looking over, he noticed another Guildmember had pulled up their status screen, inserting the request he tore off into it.

Oh...so it's like the book... Kris tried this as well. As he did, a map popped up, showing the city. Looking closely, he could see a circle for himself, and a dotted line that looked to lead out of the city. Wow, that's convenient.

Walking out of the guild, he retraced his earlier steps out of the gate. The map on his status screen led him a ways down the road.

After a half hour of walking, Kris was sweating. Hmm, my status screen doesn't have anything about me being exhausted, so it shouldn't affect me in combat, right?

Continuing a bit further, he eventually came to a building his map led him too. Knocking on the door, an old man greeted him with a toothy grin.

“You from the guild?” he asked.

Kris smiled back, nodding “I am. Where's this goblin at? I'll dispatch him quickly,” he said, trying to sound confident.

The old man nodded, “Pull up your map and I'll show you.”

Kris did as requested, pulling the map up and turning towards the old man. “Right...here, is abouts' where I seen 'im.”

Kris nodded. “Thanks,” he said, before turning around and heading in the direction.

It led to a patch of trees just on the other side of his bean field. Sneaking up slowly, he entered the trees. It's just one goblin, right? This should be easy, he thought confidently.

After just a few moments, he heard a jabbering sound. The goblin soon appeared in sight, it was making noises and eating what appeared to be a bloody lamb leg.

Gross...I better just take him out now while he's distracted. Kris stood up and stopped sneaking. “Scorch!” he yelled, pointing his hand at the goblin.

A lance of fire seared towards the goblin. As it dissipated, Kris looked over as the goblin...was fine. It had turned to look at him, lamb leg halfway to its mouth.

“Yabba!” it shouted, dropping the lamb leg.

What!? I missed!? No, it was dead on. Did it just not affect the goblin? Wait, I wonder if...

As he was thinking, the goblin charged him, a dagger appearing in it's hand.

Waiting until it was a bit closer, Kris yelled “Scorch!” again.

This time, the goblin was in range, and a hole appeared in it's chest.

Kris fell over, gasping for air as the adrenaline was pumping through his body. I did it! I killed it. I...killed it!? Kris thought about what he did, looking over at the un-moving goblin corpse. I guess goblins don't affect me much. I'm not sure how I feel about killing humans though. Or elves.

Shaking his head, he got up and dusted himself off. Well, I'll just focus on work for now and worry about that when I come to it he told himself. Looking around, he saw the little clearing the goblin was staying in. I wonder if there's any loot? He held his nose, as the camp smelled awful. Near the hay it was probably using to sleep on, a torn coinpurse was laying on the ground. Picking it up, seven copper coins fell out. Nice! Not bad, when I add the reward to it. He also nabbed the dagger the goblin had dropped. Now I actually have a weapon.

Kris pocketed the coins, carefully wrapped the dagger in some cloth on the ground before putting it in his pocket, and started walking back to the old man's house.

The old man was waiting outside, greeting him. “Haha, did you get it?”

Kris nodded, “Yup, I got him.”

The old man waiting a moment, before grinning, “Well, can I see the log, sonny?”

Kris blushed a bit, I guess they expect me to prove it, of course. He opened his status screen, fumbling around a bit to find the monster log, before flipping it around to the old man.

“Alright, pull up the request and I'll confirm,” the old man said while nodding.

Kris fumbled around again, eventually finding the request screen.

The old man touched Kris's status screen, “Haha, thanks again. Here, I know your guild is paying ya, but have this, too,” he said, giving him a roasted yam.

Nice! I was getting hungry too. “Thanks! I'm gonna go collect my reward then.”

The old man nodded, before waving goodbye and going back to hoeing the ground.

 

Kris walked back to town, munching on the yam as he explored the status screen menus. My Fire Magic went to level 1! I didn't learn any new spells, though. Scorch did some work there, so it should be fine for now. He also now had 'Dagger – level 0' under Skills. Level 0, like Fire Magic was. I guess because I now have one but haven't used it?

Finishing up the yam, he took the dagger and tried stabbing a tree a few times. Looking at his status, his dagger level didn't change. It was worth a shot...

What is this made out of? I don't really know my metals. Getting an idea, he held out the dagger. “Appraise!” he shouted.

Nothing happened.

“Umm...Identify!”

Nothing happened.

I guess that would be too convenient, eh?

Shaking his head, he wrapped the dagger back up and put it away.

 

Upon his return to town, he stopped over at the Guild. The same elf guild girl was there, and gave him a smile as he walked up.

“Were you successful?” she asked.

Kris smiled back, nodding, “I was.” Knowing what he probably needed to do, he pulled up the request in his status screen and flipped it over to face her.

The guild girl nodded and stood up, pressing the screen. “Excellent, I'll be right back,” and left to the back.

After a few moments, she returned, dropping several stacks of copper coins. “Fifty copper for the request,” she said, pressing his screen, which caused the request to disappear. “Would you like to collect your monster bounty as well? It's five copper per goblin.”

Kris nodded, “Oh yeah, definitely.” Having opened it a few times now, he quickly got to the Monster Log and flipped it back to her.

“Thank you,” she said with another nod, sliding five more copper over to him.

Closing his status screen, he asked, “Um, could you point me to the nearest inn?” It was getting closed to dusk, and he was feeling pretty tired after the day's events.

The guild girl nodded, pointing at the door. “The one across the street gives discounts to Adventurer's Guild members.”

“Awesome! Thanks!” he said, before pausing and looking back, “Uh...seeya tomorrow!”

The guild girl smiled back, and nodded.

 

Making the quick walk over to the inn, Kris was hit by a wave of sound as he went in the door. The ground floor was an open tavern, complete with a bar, and tables packed full with patrons.

Walking over to the desk, the man, probably in his thirties, gave a jovial smile. “Hey there, looking for a room?”

Kris nodded, “I am. How much is it?”

“Fifteen copper a night.”

“How much for Guildmembers?” Kris asked, pulling out his guild plaque like it was a credit card.

“Ohhh, I see, new guildie, eh? Ten for Guildmembers,” the man explained.

Kris took out ten coins and slid them over the table to him. “That's a decent discount.”

The man nodded, “Well, it's an investment. You're probably gonna be staying here a lot, so getting repeat business is important. Plus, I usually make it back in all the beer you guildies buy!” he laughed, before sliding the coins into a drawer and handing him a key with a number on it.

Huh, I could use a beer.

Seeing Kris's reaction, the man smiled, before shouting to the bar, “Hey Frieda, first drink for this bloke's on the house!”

Frieda, the bargirl, smiled and nodded, “Sure thing John.”

“Thanks, John,” Kris said, now that he knew his name.

John chuckled, giving him a wave as he went to the bar.

By the time Kris had walked over, Frieda had already sat down a drink for him. Giving him a warm smile, she asked, “Are you by your lonesome, dearie?”

Kris nodded, “Yeah, I...uh...just got to town today actually.”

Frieda nodded, “Well, if you are looking for some companionship, the nearest brothel is two streets that way,” she explained while pointing to the side.

Kris blinked a few times before blushing, “Oh, ah, thanks. I think I'm good though.”

Frieda laughed, “Haha, of course, that's what they all say though...” she said, giving him a wink, before heading off to take care of someone further down the bar.

I...well, I guess I can't say I'm not interested in checking it out. Strictly for researching purposes, of course. He looked in his pocket where his remaining coppers were. I really need to make some money first though, before I even think about something like...that.

Looking around the tavern, he saw several people talking, playing games, and even a couple people drunkenly struggling with each other, before a large man with bear ears grabbed them both and threw them out.

Interestingly, he saw several people that were just standing behind other people. Looking closely, he saw the same marking on all of their hands. What is...he thought, before quickly realizing. It must be some sort of slavery system.

He internally tried to ascertain how he felt about it. Well, it is a game world. It's not like I have to buy a slave.

Finishing his beer, he grabbed his key and went to find his room.

Inside was a small cot. The room was dimly lit with some sort of magical stone. How do I put this out? Well, I can sleep with a bit of light.

Locking the door, he emptied his pockets on the table, and fell onto the relatively small cot.

So, what should I do... he started to think, before falling asleep.

23