Chapter 17.2: An Arrangement with an Angel
47 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A class offering, and a Juggernaut class variation too. Abdiel was familiar too. Where have I heard that name? Brett thought for a second. Is that the dungeon name? Does that matter? 

I already regret not taking the first Juggernaut class. The more I learned about it, the more it just felt right. Even if I could get a slightly better variation like the others said, we didn't really learn much more about it. I don't think I can pass this one up.

Everything he knew about classes made this just feel right, and before Brett could overthink it more, he accepted the class. The light glowing from him turned red for a second before winking out.

Nothing else happened. Curious Brett pulled up his status screen.

Class

Juggernaut of Abdiel Lvl 1.

 

Rolling his shoulders, Brett didn't feel much different. He jumped in place, and maybe there was a bit more lift than normal, but that might just be his imagination. Shrugging, he decided he didn't need more of this dungeon right now. It hadn't been too hard to get here in the first place, and he would start earning levels soon. Turning, he went towards the portal to tell his friends the news. 

Before he took a step, Brett froze. The portal was gone. In its place was a massive arch, the gray, ashlike desert remained all around. The tan stone of the ground blended perfectly into the burnished metal of the arch. It stood nearly ten times his height with an eight pointed star design at the top. Looking through the arch, he just saw the far side of the arena. 

Brett checked for more notifications, but there was nothing about the exit not being available. Looking around, he saw that the bodies from the last wave were gone, and still, the next wave hadn’t started. Looking around, Brett saw no other choice. He shrugged and walked forward, passing under the arch.

On the other side, the scenery wasn't different, but he was no longer in an arena. The ash desert stretched on as far as he could see, small mounds of rocks were scattered in the distance. Looking around once more, the arch was gone. Setting off at a walk, Brett didn't have much else he could do.

A massive being blinked into the existence above him with a slight pop. The being began to lower down to just above the ground while looking down at him impassively. He could barely make out any features hidden behind what could have been a mask with a beak on it, but just as easily could have been the creature's face. Wings with long white feathers spread out from the creature's back frozen to absolute stillness in an unmoving hover.

"Hello Juggernaut." A voice echoed throughout his mind, bouncing around his skull like a bell. With each echo, the words seemed to take on a more hymn-like quality.

"....Hello?" Brett called up to the angelic being, pretty sure that was the source of the voice, like the gods who spoke to him in the temple district. Not receiving a response right away, Brett continued. "Do you greet all Juggernauts like this?"

"No, only my own."

That's a little ominous. "Who are you?"

"I am Abdiel."

Oh fuck. Brett thought. What have I gotten myself into?

"Uh, hi Abdiel. What’s happening? Where am I?"

"You are in my space. This is a reflection of my home world. At least, the desolate wasteland it has become since I was pulled to this side so long ago."

Okay, that didn't really answer my first question, did it? Abdiel was pulled here like I was? He doesn’t seem normal.

"Ok, then why am I here?" Brett asked, deciding to take the more direct route. The being didn't seem particularly hostile, even if its answers weren't particularly helpful.

"Hmmmmmm" A deep rumbling filled his head. "It appears that you have accepted the invitation to be my champion. Beyond that I do not know."

His champion? "Are you a god?" Brett asked, having a bad feeling about the answer.

"Am I a god? I once was, yes, and am I still? I suppose I might be." For the first time, the being moved, its head bowing. As it moved, it shrunk rapidly until it was about eye level with Brett. Its feet touched the ground, barely disturbing the ash on the ground. Its beak moved slightly, and a croaking voice came out of what sounded like unused vocal cords. After a clearing of the throat, the voice sounded like a normal person.

"I have not spoken to anyone for a very long time. When the system intruded into my space I was given abstract ideas of what you were, and it asked if I would offer a Juggernaut a position as a champion." The god explained, retracting its wings to fold behind its back. "Tell me, what happened for you?"

"I was in a dungeon hoping to get a class. Though I did get a notification about my deed registry being accessed a minute ago. I suppose that was you.” Brett said with a shrug. “I got a Juggernaut offer earlier, but had rejected it. Once I got your specialized version I took it. After I accepted the class, the dungeon exit disappeared and I was brought here." 

"Interesting. You are new to this side, though that is to be expected with how barren your registry was." Abdiel mused. "I will admit to being rather detached and uninformed, but let me see if I can fill in the gaps.

"This side is the center of all things. From time to time, for various reasons, things are pulled here. I was pulled from my reality, not too unlike your own experience. As a mortal, you are thrust into the thick of it all. When I was brought here I was in my space with limited options to interact with the outside. I have not seen fit to use the abilities as I cared little about the outside. 

“After I finished watching the reality I created fall apart, I wanted isolation. After countless eons you came along. Through a champion, I may perhaps have a way to reach back to my reality. Once you are powerful enough to do so, of course.” The angel-being paused. “Now, what is it that you want? I do not believe in one way bargains. Proper motivation is required for effective cooperation." Abdiel finished.

Is a deal really that simple? A god willing to just trade favors on an even ground sounds too good to be true. I just don't know enough about the rules here, like how binding will the agreement be? Without many other options, Brett decided to just tell Abdiel the truth. "I'm looking for revenge."

"A rather simple motivation."

"Yep. I came to this side only a few days ago. My girlfriend was killed by someone with a level. Next thing I know, I wake up in an endless grass field." 

"So you died."

Brett paused. "I don't think so. Why would you think that?"

"The rules for mortals are more open to me than you. One of the most straightforward ways to get to this side is to be killed by someone with a thread of its energy within them."

"Wait, so Cherry could still be alive? Just somewhere else in this world?" His heartbeat began to quicken.

"Did she have a level?"

"Yeah, 74. I saw it right as I transitioned over."

"Then no." Abdiel said, bowing his head. "I am sorry."

It was such a fleeting hope, but having it stripped so suddenly hurt more than Brett was prepared for. For just a second, he closed his eyes and took a breath. "Thank you. It’s better to know."

"So, do we have an agreement?"

"You help me get my revenge and I help you…what? Get back to your reality?" Brett said, not clear on exactly what the god wanted. "I don't know how much I can help you there. Cosmic power isn't really in my wheelhouse."

"I do not think I will be able to go back. But I can interact with the mortal plane only through a mortal's power."

"So… I agree to be your vessel?" Brett said skeptically.

"Not exactly. I will not control your body. My influence will only allow me to… direct your power sometimes."

"...Okay, I can help you if you help me." 

"So we have an agreement?" 

"Yes."

"Good. your time here grows short.” The man-sized angel visibly relaxed, crossing his arms in front of himself and adopting a more casual posture. “So, now that that’s over with, let me share the info dump the system just gave me on your class…."

7