Chapter 4. Surprises.
116 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I transferred the essence, the bunny let go of my hand, only to attack my other hand, stealing the last of the protein bar. I watched as it ate it whole, wrapper and all.

Ryan-" You proud of yourself?"

The Pouncewhisker didn't respond beyond sending me the desire for me through the bond.

Ryan-" You ate it all you glutton, if you want more we will have to get out of here first."

The look I got in return showed its confusion. I suppose I am expecting too much from it, so I return to my original goal. and press upon the bunny my desire for sleep and water.

What I got in return was a feeling of incredulousness, a feeling of disbelief. The damn bunny was making fun of me. Before it, no, before SHE started to lead the way.

With caution I followed my new companion, weaving through the stalks of the giant mushrooms and tall grass that towered overhead. combined with the off-color glow coming from the crystals in the ceiling, and the spores in the air, this place looked magical compared to the abyss.

The bunny hopped with the agility I expected, leading the way through the maze of mushrooms, big and small. I took note of certain ones it avoided. Every time I made a loud noise, she would look back at me, giving me that side-eye again, before continuing.

I couldn't help but find her personality refreshing, perhaps I was losing my marbles, but she seems to quickly be gaining intelligence, I'll have to think of a name. 

As we continued she picked up speed, now and then she would glance back at me, shooting what I swore was a mischievous grin as I struggled to keep up in this terrain.

As we ventured deeper into the mushroom forest I started to notice things. Vicious vine-like plants that were wrapped around the bones of animals littered the ground. My telepathic awareness was in overdrive sensing everything around me, but most pings I got from it, showed weaker creatures that should be no threat to me, much like the bunny herself. This made me think back to my titles and why this bunny tried to attack me, to begin with.

The Unintentional bait title that makes enemies underestimate me, had to be the cause. The bunny stood no real chance of harming me as it is now, and it should have been scared of me, even as hungry as it was.

With barely any warning my telepathic sense blared to life. As a small, jet-black panther-like creature leaped from the shadows. But it wasn't headed to me, but rather to the bunny.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I jumped ahead, arriving right behind the small panther that had its eyes and focus set on her. Reaching out I snatched the panther by the scruff of its neck and pushed it down to the ground, but I lost my grip as it sunk into its own shadow, disappearing as if it never was. It didn't take a genius to realize that it used some kind of magic. 

My senses pinged again not a second later, as it tried the same tactic, but this time on me. Turning around, I saw the panther's surprised expression as I caught it again, this time when I caught it with my outstretched hand around its neck. I didn't let it touch its own shadow, instead holding it suspended midair. The beast lashed out as it struggled to free itself from my grip, the sleeve of my shirt got shredded but the thing felt weaker than a housecat, or was I just that strong? In any case, it was only able to leave red marks on my enhanced skin. 

What is going on? Why is everything so weak?

The beast was unwilling to give up, and my patience was wearing thin. Just as I was thinking of killing the overgrown housecat, I heard a low growl off to my side, that stopped the cat's struggle. Looking towards the sound I saw a much more intimidating panther that somehow evaded my senses.

Ryan-" Ohh, is this Momma?"

I used my empathic connection and reached out to the mother, conveying I would let her young go, only this once. there would be no second chance.

What I got in return, was the feeling of an exasperated mother, who would teach her child the errors of their ways.

I wasn't in the killing mood, especially when it's a child, and I have no idea how the mother would react, so I tossed the cub towards its mom, who landed skillfully like any cat. I watched as she swatted the young cub repeatedly as if reprimanding him until they took off. Before the connection was cut I got the feeling the mother was grateful, but also confused at how everything went down.

Hmm, must be my unintentional bait title confusing their instincts. It's paying dividends already.

Once they were gone I looked back towards the bunny I have been following, she was sitting stock still, shivering in fear, but my empathic connection picked up a bit of awed respect.

Ryan-" That's right I'm badass, you can thank me later."

In return, the bunny turned and huffed before continuing. If I didn't know better I would say the damn thing was acting like a tsundere.

Ryan-" Where are my thanks at? If it wasn't for me, you would be cat food."

Surprisingly, I got, clear emotions sent back, that if it wasn't for me, clambering through the mushroom forest, like a child, she wouldn't have been found or attacked, to begin with.

Ryan-" If it wasn't for me, you would also never have tasted that heavenly protein bar you scarfed down,"

In return, I got the sense that the protein bar wasn't that good.

Ryan-" That's bullshit and you know it. Ahhh, why am I arguing with a bunny? let us just continue."

We began our journey again, we moved through the forest, the scents around me changing. The scent of fresh earth and the occasional gusts of wind carried the distant sounds of running water and skittering creatures.

My malnourished companion hopped ahead. despite its haggard appearance, the bunny's personality shone through. She would intentionally lead me through areas with large spider webs I couldn't see before having walked through them, or muddy ground that my feet sank into. Each time I fumbled and got annoyed, I received emotions of joy at her success in making me miserable. However, all the real dangers she avoided, sometimes stopping and looking towards something she wanted me to notice, like glowing spores, that burned whatever they landed on like acid, or giant venomous spiders with glowing eyes and oversized mandibles, that clacked audibly in a display of power. Regardless, the Pouncewhisker seemed to know the path, evading hazards and leading me with an almost playful determination.

As we made our way closer and closer to the sounds of rushing water, the bunny suddenly stopped and sent me a blaring warning to do the same. At first, I couldn't make sense of why, until my telepathic sense blared and a giant chicken came into view. This chicken stood easily twenty feet tall, clad in brown feathers. It walked towards us, and the bunny conveyed the idea of not moving at all. I watched as the birds' eyes passed over us as if not even noticing our presence as it walked off from where we came, Hardly making a noise. 

My heart was pounding in my chest, for all intents and purposes that was a fucking dinosaur. As I calmed myself, I got to feel the gloating of the bunny. 

Ryan-" Okay, okay, that makes us even."

We began moving again, once we made it out of the thick forest, we came upon the local watering hole, unlike other times. The bunny's demeanor changed, and she impressed upon me the need for caution, that the water held danger.

It was simple to understand that something may lurk in the water. But I followed her lead all the same moving to an area where the shallow stream feed the small pond. Crystal-clear running water, brought back my thirst. Using my old empty bottle, I filled it and drank heartily. I was certain this water was far from safe, but I had no real alternative, and could only rely on my titles to keep me from becoming ill. Maybe I should look into a better metabolism later, but for now, I enjoyed the cool refreshing water, while hoping it didn't bite me in the butt later.

We didn't hang around long, the bunny seemed just as tired as I was, and even more worried about staying nearby, So we continued toward its home.

Finally after what felt like an eternity we arrived at the burrow. I would never have noticed it if it wasn't for the bunny's guidance. below a short stubby mushroom with a giant cap laid the entrance to her den. She crawled in first followed by me. taking off my backpack I slipped inside the hole, finding it alight with more of the same crystals that glowed like the ones on the ceiling. It was relatively clean, filled with soft dried grass. There wasn't much room but I wasn't about to complain. Using my bag as a pillow I laid down, and the bunny curled up beside me. Within moments I was asleep, finally able to relax and let myself calm down, the comforting warm presence against my side, reassuring me that I wasn't alone in this strange and perilous world.

---The following morning---

Ding! For defying the natural order and forming an unprecedented bond with a creature, elevating its sentience to sapience you have earned the "Architect of sentience" Title.

Ding! You have unlocked the hidden depths of another's consciousness, Your title "Natures Guardian" has Changed to "Natures Steward."

Ding! Your tamed Pouncewhisker has *Awakened*. Taming has been lost!

Ding! Your Title, "Deceptive mating strategist" is in effect. 

I awoke to the rude notification and realized that the furball, my arms were wrapped around was not quite so furry anymore.

Opening my eyes I saw a head of white locks, long bunny ears, thick pale thighs, a tiny waist, and the unmistakable curves of a woman curled up against me. 

Nope, Nope, Nope, this isn't happening!

I closed my eyes determined to not acknowledge the truth of the matter, but the damned system seemed intent on making me accept the truth.

Ding! You have accomplished a feat none have before. Your name has been added to the Akashic records. As a reward for your contribution in creating a new form of sapient life, you have unlocked A new class option-" Harbinger of Hybrid Awakening."

Yeah, of course, this world has classes as well, why didn't I think of that?

Wiggle... wiggle, wiggle.. is, is that a tail?

cracking my eyes open and pulling my hips away from the very not bunny, naked bunny girl, I was spooning. I catch sight of an adorable cottontail, and a juicy ass.... huh, well ain't that something...

7