North and South
96 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Lord Reynald, they're here,'" Adrian said.

Reynald, a 28-year-old man with dark hair and an athletic body, turned to look at Adrian, who entered the large tent where Reynald was resting and strategizing. They set up a troop camp in a green field near the Arlingnach River.

He walked over to the wardrobe and took out a white furry coat with a deep rose colour. Together with Adrian, Reynald left the tent and looked to the west. Endeavour's flag could be seen rising, along with the flags of other royal houses siding with William.

"They will not win this war," Reynald said.

"I doubt that, my lord," Adrian replied.

From the rumble of William's arriving troops, seen in their back line were thousands of mythological creatures from the ruins island, ranging from elves, centaurs, and orcs, to giants.

"Mythological creatures? I did not know they were coming," Reynald replied.

The large wasteland could accommodate hundreds of thousands of armies from Reynald or William. The surrounding area had hills and forests that seemed to enclose the place.

From Reynald's army camp, a blue flag was set up in the centre of the area, a sign to conduct initial negotiations. The five lords who supported Reynald gathered near the man.

"They're proposing negotiations," Liam said.

"There's no need to negotiate. Let's attack them right away!" said Gordon.

"Attack them during negotiation is a suicide," said Moren.

Reynald listened to what the five old men had to say, none of which offered the best solution. Out of his blue eyes, Reynald saw William and seven people riding horses to the negotiation place.

"They are waiting for us," Reynald said, taking his horse and preparing to leave.

Not only him, but the five lords who supported him were the same. They took their horses and left together, Reynald riding ahead of them.

From Reynald's direction, he saw a young woman named Anna, King William's daughter. Reynald's heart was beating fast. This moment was the first time they met as enemies.

"How stunning! You were able to unite the lords of the South to your side," William said.

William, a middle-aged man with completely white hair, sat firmly on his mount, wearing gold-coloured king's armour with a furry coat the colour of the morning sea. He was the most powerful man in the Athalaris Kingdom, at least in the northern region.

"It's all due to you. Your disregard for the South brought us together," Reynald retorted sarcastically.

"Haha, pardon me if you have to feel the pain. The southern region, I don't even want to set foot on that filthy, barbaric land!" scolded William.

"Surrender, then I'll let you live in that pigsty you call home!" pleaded William.

"Go back to your beloved stinking palace, or you'll never see it again," Reynald retorted.

The initial negotiations were tough, and both were reluctant to agree with each other. Reynald would not take a step back. He did not want to make all the blood and sweat he spent end in vain.

Likewise with William, even though the imperious king hated the southern region, he did not want to let it go. Especially after he found out the money circulation in the South was more than in the North.

"As I suspected, you're just as stubborn as the people in your filthy land," William insulted.

"Prepare yourself. You will need it more than I do," Reynald said.

The negotiations were over much faster than the lords had thought. William was seen leaving, but not Anna. She was staring silently at Reynald's handsome face, which made her fall in love.

"Leave me with this lady," Reynald told the five lords around him.

They nodded. The five men rode off on their horses, leaving the negotiation place. Now, there was only Reynald alone with Anna, looking at each other as opposing parties.

"There are many ways other than violence, Rey," Anna said.

The woman with long white hair in a ponytail and fair skin tried to advise Reynald. Anna's beauty and kindness were something that Reynald fell in love with, even though he had many wives from the lords.

Reynald's eyes closed, and his heart activated manipulation magic that would affect a person through his eyes.

[Manipulation Ability Activated]

[Ecosystem Illusion]

[Initiate illusion Creation]

[Creation Completed]

A sequence of system panels appeared in Reynald's mind, making him immediately open both eyes. As a bright red colour flashed from Reynald's eyes, Anna, who saw firsthand, was stunned as the landscape around her turned into a beautiful garden full of chirping birds with a flowing river from a waterfall and a comfortable wooden hut.

"W-Where am I?" asked Anna.

"This is the first time I'm using my powers on you. This is a glimpse of life if you avoid this battle," replied Reynald, in the same place as Anna.

From the hut's direction, a four-year-old boy walked with a chuckle, avoiding his father's chase. Anna was shocked to realize the child's father was Reynald, and the mother was her.

"Why are their faces—"

"It's us, as a family, in our little house," Reynald said.

"We will live happily like them if you leave this place," Reynald continued.

The ecosystem illusion slowly faded away after Reynald showed Anna what he wanted. Anna's eyes looked at the surrounding area, trying to capture the beautiful image that touched her heart.

The green field was again clearly displayed. Anna realized that the earlier image was an illusion of what Reynald wanted.

Without saying goodbye, Anna turned her horse back to William's army. Likewise, Reynald began to leave the negotiation place. He saw five lords standing watchfully in front of his army camp.

"What shall we do?" asked Liam.

The horse Reynald was riding stopped right before the five. There was no way out of this place. The only thing was to defeat William.

"Assemble the army. Prepare the catapult!" said Reynald.

"GETTING READY!"

The rumbling of soldiers' feet could be heard clearly. They ran with shields and swords to form a line. Not only soldiers with swords but engineers and sorcerers were also preparing. Reynald's army was divided into five large squads; one squad had as many as 40,000 men.

Not only Reynald but William as well. Their numbers were almost the same as Reynald's army, even though they got big help from the mythological creatures.

It seemed the person who looked close to William was Anna. The woman seemed not to leave the battlefield and preferred to fight with her father.

Reynald's heart broke seeing Anna's decision. Whether he liked it or not, he was committed to killing Anna with his own hands and kept that hatred for himself.

Arrows rushed from William's army, and the five lords told the army to prepare for defence. However, Reynald did nothing.

He just raised his head, staring at the thousands of arrows flying in the sky to kill his troops. His anger was already so high he would not hesitate to hold back his strength in front of everyone.

[Manipulation Ability Activated]

[Material Transformation]

[Initiate Material Creation]

[Material Creation Completed]

Reynald's eyes flashed bright red, followed by a strong gust of wind. The thousands of arrows shooting from William's army turned into thousands of cotton swabs flying away in the wind.

"THAT'S THE POWER OF REYNALD!" shouted Gordon, amazed.

"GOD WITH US!" shouted Moren, encouraging the army until there was a loud roar from behind Reynald.

"FOR THE SOUTH!" Liam raised his sword, followed by many soldiers in his unit and other units.

Reynald raised his right hand and dropped it quickly, indicating he was ordering his troops to start attacking.

The war began. The troops shouted with swords and shields, mages chanted magic spells, and catapults continued throwing boulders at William's troops.

"It shall end today or not at all."

1