104. Casting More Nets
12.4k 6 146
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another day passed and it was time for the party at Red Swan Tower. His purpose for holding the party for the band of mercenaries was so they would come under his employ for the time being. He needed them for a special mission and his own subordinates within the Beast God Sanctum couldn't be trusted at all.

Red Swan Tower was a popular restaurant and hotel within the city, with a massive tower spanning twenty floors. Every night it hosts hundreds of parties and banquets and tens of thousands of customers. Chen Wentian could get a room whenever he wanted due to his noble status but it was quite a treat for the mercenaries.

"Master He!"

"Master He is here!"

The nine mercenaries saluted as they saw Chen Wentian walk up. They still looked like mercenaries but their clothes were cleaner. They managed to look less like wild beasts and more like men for this occasion.

"I'm late, let’s go in. I have a room reserved."

"Yes."

The hotel attendants recognized Chen Wentian and led the party up a few floors to their private room. Fine drink and dishes were served soon as they took their seats.

Chen Wentian stood for a toast, "Thanks for coming to celebrate a successful and profitable mission! You guys may be mercenaries, but you are real men. You guys work hard and defend each other. You guys are a great team and I hope we can work together again. Cheers!"

"Cheers to Master He!"

Chen Wentian led in the first few rounds of drinks while the mercenary leader, Hai Huaming, led the next few. Alcohol flowed like water and meat disappeared from the plates as fast as they were replenished. As front-line cultivators, they risked their lives to fight beasts, increase their cultivation, and earn a living. They were simple and straightforward. They were glad to have someone like He Xingping as their employer.

Chen Wentian saw the men enjoying the meal and lowered his voice to chat with Hai Huaming who was sitting next to him.

"Huaming, do you guys have any jobs lined up after this?"

"No, we figured we'll go out again with Master He for the next hunt!" Hai Huaming replied, "If you don't me saying this, the missions with you are always the smoothest and with the least number of casualties."

"Haha, I try my best." Chen Wentian chuckled, "What if I said, I have something more interesting for the next three weeks? A job with much less dangers but better pay."

"Oh? please explain." Hai Huaming was interested.

"It's a simple task. It's a hunt, not of wild beasts but of human targets. You guys will have to stalk your targets just like you stalk beasts. You must not let them become alert of your presence. And you must place a special tracker array on their bodies without them noticing..."

"As you surely know, the Lion faction and Eagle faction aren't getting along well. We might erupt in a civil war soon. Therefore, my targets naturally will be Eagle faction people. I will supply the tracker as well as a list of targets. The pay will be double your normal rate."

Hai Huaming had a frown on his face. "Master He, humans are different from monsters. Plus, this is within the city. If we get caught, even our families will suffer."

Chen Wentian took out a flat black rune from his sleeve the size of an orange. "You don't have to worry about that. See this? All I need you to do is bump into the person on the streets, like this."

He slapped his palm with the black rune on Hai Huaming's shoulder. The men watched in amazement as the rune dissolved into a puff of smoke and disappeared into the creases and folds of Hai Huaming's clothes.

"That's all you need to do. They won't be able to detect anything wrong and they won't be able to accuse you of anything."

Each black rune was a shadow anchor, the same ones he placed around the Lion castle. This was another way it could be used and hard to detect unless an immortal wore those clothes directly.

This was the best option since he could not get into the Eagle lord's castle.

Chen Wentian could have gone around and placed the shadow anchors himself. But that would have taken a lot of time that he didn't have as an elder. There was also the chance that people could notice a Lion faction elder that kept running into Eagle faction people for no reason.

Chen Wentian hoped he could find some clues through this method although his hopes were low. If the Eagle lord was alert as the Lion lord, then those elders wouldn't let secrets slip casually. However, a small chance was better than sitting around doing nothing.

Hai Huaming discussed it with his brothers briefly before he turned back around. "Master He, we agree."

"Great, it's a deal. Another toast then, to another successful venture." Chen Wentian lifted up his glass.

"Yes sir!" "Master He!"

Beer and wine sloshed around as they cheered.

"Waitress, more drinks!"

---

Chen Wentian left Hai Huaming with very detailed instructions and a box of fifty shadow anchor runes. Within the instructions were a list of targets, all at the elder and executive elder level, within the Eagle faction. Fifty was only the initial batch, if they managed to run out, he could produce more easily enough. It only cost him spiritual energy which he could replenish through the soul art.

He believed that the Eagle lord, Qu Shen, also had blood on his hands. Otherwise, how would the Snake Lord’s faction fall so quickly after the death of their lord? Also, could Qu Shen not know anything about his sworn brother dying? No, it was impossible.

It was too bothersome to deal with He Zicheng by himself and it was much easier to use other people's strength against each other. Since Qu Shen and He Zicheng no longer saw eye to eye, all Chen Wentian needed to do was to light some kegs of explosives and watch the resulting fireworks. In the ensuing chaos, he would have ample opportunity to deal with these Lion faction bastards.

It was merely a matter of casting more nets and waiting until they bore fruit and Chen Wentian could be the most patient person in the world.

146