235. Everyone is Here (II)
6.6k 7 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The spiritual aura from eight beast immortals enveloped the whole of Beast God City. The shield formation blocked any damage or attacks from going through but the dreadful sensations the eight fearsome beasts produced managed to pass through and land upon the citizens and defenders.

The commoners huddling inside their homes shuddered and some even passed out. The wave passed through everyone and left them in a state of confusion and panic. The defenders, from the weakest soldier to the strongest elder, all felt their stomach churn as they realized the impending doom. Some fell to their knees as they despaired.

The six human Spirit Lords weren’t affected but they understood the current implications. Some of them cursed loudly and every one of them felt cold sweat drip down their bodies.

Even Lion Lord He Zicheng and Eagle Lord Qu Shen could not help but be alarmed. They expected the beast lieutenants to make their way here eventually but where were their own reinforcements from the Immortal Association?

“I think we showed the association enough face by defending for so long. So where are they?” Qu Shen cried out in frustration.

His voice carried through spiritual energy to He Zicheng on the opposite side of the city.

“Hmph! These Immortal Association old farts are crafty and scheming. They have always coveted our power and influence. The fact that we never chose to fall under their hierarchy was always a sore spot for them.” He Zicheng said.

“Brother… with the current situation, the formation won’t last long once those beasts figure it out.” Qu Shen said, “If the city falls, we will take a huge loss but we as immortals can still escape. If that happens, the Immortal Association also will not be blameless. What are those bastards thinking? Are they so eager to sacrifice millions of human lives to get even with us?”

“… I don’t think that is so but I also have another conjecture. They want us to suffer losses but this isn’t enough for their greedy minds, especially that slutty lotus woman… They want to take advantage of us and score a big profit!”

“You mean… one of the beast kings?” Qu Shen asked in astonishment.

It was indeed possible even though the chances were low. If Immortal Solemn Duke Huang Wuji and Immortal Gentle Lotus Gong Liyun did not arrive by the teleportation array but instead flew here in secret, there was a chance of ambushing one of the Spirit King beasts.

A dead Spirit King was basically a priceless treasure in themselves. They could be used in many methods to help other Spirit Kings vastly improve their cultivation. Even if that failed, there were also the Spirit Lord beasts. If a Spirit King really wanted to, killing one or two Spirit Lords was almost trivial.

“Father, help us! What should we do?” He Xinghan’s urgent voice drifted over, interrupting their discussion.

The eight beasts had arrived beside the toad king and started launching their own attacks. Eight streams of spiritual energy forming a rainbow of colors collided against the formation. Massive explosions erupted all across, further widening the existing opening.

The situation was now at the breaking point and the two lords of Beast God Sanctum had a decision to make.

“Father! We won’t last much longer! What do we do?” He Xinghan yelled again.

“My lord, where are the Immortal Association? We cannot hold on!” Ji Tiangu added, “If they don’t show up, we have to run! No matter what, we cannot die here!”

“Brother Ji is right! We will definitely avenge this travesty and pay the beasts back ten-fold!” Gu Lan yelled, “But we can’t do that if we’re dead. My lord, please allow us to retreat!”

There were several more voices added into the mix. All six of the human Spirit Lords were tired and thinking about self-preservation. They wanted to save their city and their families but if they had to choose between that of their own lives… they would definitely choose their own.

However, before the human side could further discuss what to do, a completely unexpected thing happened. It was unexpected because their reinforcements came, only it was not the Immortal Association. It was a bunch of faces that they least expected!

“Immortal Embracing Python Mei Qiaofeng is here to defend Beast God City!”

“Immortal Dust Scorpion Tie Buqun is here as well. I shall defend Beast God City until I die!”

Three figures shot up from the city and flew towards the circle of six human Spirit Lords. The two voices were not transmitted to the immortals but to the whole city. Thus, every single living being heard their defiant declarations.

The third one who remained silent was Chen Wentian in his fat and ugly swordsman costume. He looked around sheepishly but did not say anything so brave and gallant.

The three of them had also been in secret discussions after the eight beasts arrived. Mei Qiaofeng and Tie Buqun still held the Beast God Sanctum and the people close to their hearts. Deep down, they did not want to see their people suffer too much. They grew up here and held over a hundred years of feelings and sentiments. Their revenge was with the Lion and Eagle factions, not with the common people.

Thus, Mei Qiaofeng had a burst of inspiration and urged this current course of action. Instead of piling onto the beast attack and causing chaos, it was the perfect opportunity to turn the hearts of the people in their favor. He Zicheng and Qu Shen labeled them criminals and betrayers of the sect but this was an opportunity to smash those lies into dust.

Mei Qiaofeng and Tie Buqun’s declarations were extremely clever. On one hand, they endeared themselves to the mortal humans of the city currently facing imminent death. On the other hand, they put the human immortals in a dangerous and hypocritical situation.

Two so-called traitors of the sect were willing to defend the city to their deaths. How would it look if the Lion Lord and Eagle Lord took their subordinates and ran for their lives? Who was right and who was wrong… People would immediately be able to tell.

“You three criminals dare show your faces?” He Xinghan spat when the three of them arrived.

Ji Tiangu gave a loud snort of anger, “Rrrrrhhhh!! Ugly sword bastard, I bet it was you who killed my disciples. I’ll kill you!”

“Brother Ji, I’ll help you!” Gu Lan howled.

“SHUT UP!! All of you!” A furious roar from He Zicheng prevented those idiots from doing anything stupid.

Everyone quieted down and Qu Shen spoke, “Qiaofeng, Buqun, we can settle our scores at a later time. This elder sword immortal, how may we call you?”

Chen Wentian coughed awkwardly and found his fake voice, “… This old one… I believe you all call me the Abominable Sword Bandit so let’s just go with that… Make it easier on those with tiny and dense minds.”

“You dare!

“You have some guts!”

Qu Shen silenced them immediately. “I apologize for my subordinate but we don’t have much time.”

He was right. With every passing second, the opening in the Grand Beast God Formation was getting bigger and bigger. There were places that were fluttering dangerously as if parts were starting to collapse for real.

Qu Shen quickly explained how to operate the formation and allowed the Mei Qiaofeng, Tie Buqun, and the Abominable Sword Bandit to join the defensive array. The nine of them now formed a larger circle and their combined output of spiritual energy was much greater than before.

The bombardment from outside did not pause for a single moment but the hole in the formation did not increase anymore. In fact, it started to slowly creep backward.

The formation was a force multiplier. It used high-level inscriptions that went beyond even the understanding of normal Spirit Kings. It took much less spiritual energy on the inside than on the outside. Three Spirit Lords on the defensive end was already enough to counteract eight Spirit Lord attackers.

“Hahaha, it’s working” Ji Tiangu hollered excitedly.

The others that had been under extreme pressure also exclaimed their happiness and relief.

The only one that was unperturbed was Chen Wentian. He expressionlessly stared forward, silently planning and preparing. He just about had enough. He was itching to kill this noisy ox. It had been a long time since he wanted another human dead as much as he wanted Ji Tiangu dead.

Before Chen Wentian could make a move, another unexpected thing happened!

104