268. Two Months
6k 9 107
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Wentian’s Ten Thousand Flower Valley occupied two of the top then and seven of the top one hundred. This was completely abnormal for a sect that had only been established for two years. Even an immortal sect that had over a hundred years of history could never hope to accomplish such a feat.

Only the Beast God Sanctum, as a whole, had more disciples place in the top one hundred. The Lion and Eagle factions combined for over twenty spots. They were still a super sect and this result showed that this was still true. Even with the death of the Snake Lord, Beast God Sanctum was still considered the best immortal sect outside of the capital.

Yet at the same time, the result was also glaring evidence of how fall they had fallen. If the Snake Lord was still around, they would have gotten close to half of the spots in the top ten. Pretty much all of Snake faction cultivators and young disciples had been wiped out. This combined with the losses suffered during the insect attack on the city to give them their saddest performance in hundreds of years.

Their losses combined with the implosion of Glacier Palace and Divine Blazing Mountain was the perfect storm of opportunity for other sects. Lowly sects that could not have even hoped to reach the top one hundred managed to do so. Mediocre ones that would ordinarily only get one or two disciples into the rankings managed to do so with twice the number.

The biggest beneficiary of the matter was Immortal Desolate Sword Peng Yuefeng of the Tower of Swords. Against all odds, he managed to also get seven disciples into the top one hundred. The man was prouder than a peacock in mating season. He was oozing happiness and arrogance. It was suffocating to those around him and could even be felt by half the people in the amphitheater.

“Haha! Look at all of my talented disciples! Chen Wentian, what do you have to say for yourself now?” Peng Yuefeng’s voice drifted over through spiritual energy.

“Are you talking about the bet we made? I think you owe me your Desolate Sword.” Chen Wentian replied mildly.

“Peh! Our original bet did not include Long Yifei so she should not be included in the final score between us!”

It was a nice argument but it didn’t hold water. Long Yifei was no longer a member of Glacier Palace. She was Chen Wentian’s disciple and the Immortal Association accepted this fact. Her accomplishments were also his accomplishments. There was no distinction. But before he could say anything, Peng Yuefeng already had a counter.

“Long Yifei is good. Wu Qianyu is good. Your dog-shit luck amazes me. But my disciples as a whole are better. Xiling is second. Xiping is eighteenth. I even have two in the top fifty. Considering the overall rank of my disciples in the Monster Fighting Competition, I think I’ve won the bet!”

“Don’t make me laugh.” Chen Wentian said, “Are you going senile? I’ve already won the first two competitions, the newcomer tournament and the Mind Focusing Realm competition. Honestly, I don’t want to argue with you. Let’s call it a draw so you don’t have to bother me anymore.”

He did not want to deal with this old sword immortal who was obviously shameless beyond measure. He didn’t even want that stupid immortal weapon anymore. He just wanted to be left alone.

“No, not a draw!” Peng Yuefeng almost shouted.

The man mistook Chen Wentian’s disinterest for weakness and pressed forward.

“Don’t dream of backing out now. A bet is a bet! Plus, what the association has in store for the other ninety people in the top one hundred, you’ll soon be completely defeated by me. You might be able to do all sorts of trickery to get those five girls into the top then but you won’t be able to use those tricks in the capital! You’ll be exposed as a fraud!”

Chen Wentian’s temper flared. “I gave you an opportunity to step back while saving face. You didn’t take it so you’ll have to suffer the consequences. Be sure to polish my sword regularly so it doesn’t rust.”

“You… fine. Just you wait. You only have two months left to be arrogant. Then, everybody will see who you really are!”

Chen Wentian didn’t bother replying and Peng Yuefeng looked away angrily.

By this time, Huang Wuji had finally finished reading the results and all one hundred people stood on the stage. The cheering and the applause stopped and the audience waited breathlessly for what would happen next. When he finally spoke, everyone hung onto his every word.

“We of the Immortal Association are very excited to announce a special reward structure for those that placed from the eleventh place to the one hundredth. As you all know, the monster invasion from the eastern wilderness interrupted our Immortal Sect Competition and forced us to prolong the competition. As a matter of principle, the association also increased the number of rewards from ten to a hundred. The reality of the situation is that the dream array cannot hold so many people. It is simply impossible…”

“Thus, we have set up an exciting and rewarding competition for the others that will last a total length of two months. This is an unprecedented event, one that was organized with the combined effort of the entire Eastern Sanmu Metropolis and all ten districts. The rewards are extremely good but you all will have to work for them and each one of you will have a chance at even the best rewards!”

“Now, let me explain…”

The activity the Immortal Association organized was called the Golden Feather Hunt. To put it simply, it was a scavenger hunt across the entire capital with a time limit of two months. The golden feathers were nothing special, merely talismans created using spiritual energy that could not be counterfeited, much like sect badges. Every person, ranked eleventh to one hundredth, would have the opportunity to collect golden feathers which could then be turned in for a vast array of prizes.

The bottom twenty, those from one-hundredth place to the eighty-first place, would be given ten random clues and challenges. This equated to ten opportunities to earn golden feathers, with each one awarding one feather if completed successfully. These clues and challenges varied wildly and could take the contestant to any of the ten districts or even multiple districts.

This gave the disciples from the provinces a rare opportunity to spend two months exploring the capital and experience the center of human cultivation in the subcontinent. It also gave their immortal masters an opportunity to stay here and enjoy the amenities and attractions that could not be found in their home provinces.

The lowest bracket was given ten opportunities to earn feathers so the maximum number they could earn was ten. The next bracket was the eightieth to the sixty-first places and they were each given eleven chances for feathers or simply points. The following bracket was the sixtieth to the forty-first places and they could earn a maximum of twelve points. The bracket after that was the fortieth to the twenty-first places and they could earn thirteen points.

The last and final bracket were the ten people that did not make the top ten, the twentieth to the eleventh places. They were given the most chances with fourteen. The scavenger hunt structure was fair to those that performed well in the Monster Fighting Competition. It gave those that placed highly more opportunities to earn points which directly meant more chances and rewards.

The rewards similarly had tiers and were separated into five different tiers. The highest tier had the best rewards and redeeming a prize from this tier required nine points. The next tier of rewards was of slightly lower quality and required eight points. This went on to the fifth tier which only required five points.

Each tier had a limited number of prizes. The bottom tier had fifty prizes. The fourth tier had forty prizes. The third tier had thirty prizes. The second tier had twenty prizes. And finally, the top tier was limited to ten.

There were only ten top prizes but everyone instantly wanted them and nothing else. They were simply too valuable and the Immortal Association could not afford to hand any more out. Among the prizes were a camouflaging spiritual bag, a baby beast that had already gained intelligence, and even a Spirit Lord Realm weapon…

The last one made everyone crazy. The amphitheater once again erupted in excitement.

Everyone, even those with low rankings, all had a chance to compete for the top prizes, including the biggest prize. Everyone had a chance to earn at least nine points. They just had to really work hard for it and there was almost no room for error. All the prizes could be claimed at any time once a contestant received enough points. Whoever got nine points first was definitely going to get the Spirit Lord weapon!

--

Thank you to all my patrons!

Support me and read ahead by 5 or even 10 chapters!

p atreon.com/kigreenwriting

Join my discord for updates, delays, and my ramblings :)

d iscord.gg/dY5UApw

--

My second novel The Treasure King has just finished its first arc, please take a look!

107