339. Side Story: Sawtooth Mountains (II)
4.3k 5 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Wentian’s exploration of the Sawtooth Mountains was not random and clueless like the other treasure hunters. His steps were purposeful and they took him steadily closer towards something that nobody else could sense.

Ever since he had set eyes on the mountains from afar, he had already sensed it... the unmistakable signal of a powerful soul. His Anatta Soul Nirvana Art was capable of sensing powerful and unique souls within the vicinity. This was the first time that this ability had been proven true and he was excited to find out what was causing it.

It took him two weeks to find the cave, nestled in the middle of one of the tallest peaks of the mountains. It had been difficult, hacking through the dense jungle, avoiding beasts that were more powerful and aggressive than usual as well as other cultivators. It had taken all of his wits and skill but he managed to do it.

He entered the pitch-black cave and lit a lamp. The interior was quiet and abandoned. The cave cut through solid rock and yet the cave walls were smooth as if they were created by intent and not nature.

There were many side tunnels and dead ends but he avoided them all. His soul sense kept him on track. He traveled another two days down the tunnels and finally reached the end.

“Wow…” Chen Wentian gasped.

In the middle of a large chamber was a glowing blue orb, as large as his head. Inside it was a fluttering ember of blue flame that cast dancing shadows on the walls and ceiling. There was a soft warmth in the air, like residual heat from a dying fire. Surrounding the orb was what seemed like piles of dust that were arranged in an unnatural shape, like a large, elongated lizard.

The weak soul signature he had felt was much stronger now but there was something wrong with it. He could tell that whatever it was, it was no longer alive. And if it was no longer alive, it was perfect for him.

He walked up to the orb, lying atop a pile of dust, and reached for it. At the same time, he activated the Anatta Soul Nirvana Art.

Within the black void of the soul realm, a blue-colored soul appeared. It had no discernable shape and merely floated around in a blob. This happened when a soul was dead for too long. Only a fragment of the original soul was left, often due to strong emotions like heavy regret or unfulfilled desire.

Chen Wentian appeared in the soul realm and stood before the blue-colored soul.

“Hello, can you hear me?” He asked.

There was a long pause before blue fog stirred but it didn’t speak.

“What’s your name?” He asked patiently.

“… I…” The blue soul said slowly, “I… I don’t know…”

Chen Wentian was encouraged. Memory loss was normal for a fragment of a dead soul. But even having the ability to speak meant that the soul could be salvaged and that its original form had been powerful beyond measure.

“Do you remember anything?” He asked.

“…” There was an interminable pause before the soul spoke again, “I… my… Arcadia… it’s all gone…”

“What is Arcadia? What happened do you?”

“Everyone… is dead… the clan is gone… Nooo!”

The soul cried like a small child.

Chen Wentian let it be for a while before trying again, “Do you want to fight? Do you want to avenge your clan?”

“I… I don’t know…”

“I can help you!” He said and reached a hand forward. He wanted this soul. He could tell it was special. “If you take my hand and join me. I will help you.”

“You… will?”

“I promise! Join your soul with mine, together, we will rise and save Arcadia, together!”

There was silence for what seemed like an eternity.

And then it responded, “Okay.”

The blue soul reached out and touched his outstretched finger.

Their souls joined as one...

Chen Wentian was able to help stitch more memories together. It still wasn’t a complete story but it was enough.

The blue soul was the remnant will of a blue dragon, a divine beast of legends. The dragon was already dead but a fragment of soul managed to remain in its source of fire, the source of all its powers. A divine beast didn’t normally leave behind a complete inheritance of its powers for others. The blue dragon was very young, only a small child by human standards. It had been driven by desperation, inexperience, and fear of death to do so by instinct in its last moments.

The blue dragon whose name still remained unknown had escaped from Arcadia, the ancestral home of the Blue Dragon Clan. There had been some kind of devastating war between various dragon clans. Although the details were unclear, the blue dragons had lost. This baby blue dragon managed to escape somehow and land in the Sawtooth Mountains.

Despite successfully fleeing, it was heavily wounded and dying. With no hope and no way to recover, it eventually succumbed four months ago. Its death and the subsequent release of divine spiritual energy were what prompted the transformation of the region, causing countless plants and beasts to advance rapidly and become treasures.

Yet all of those were a distraction. The blue dragon soul and its source of fire were the most priceless things left behind and both now belonged to Chen Wentian!

---

Chen Wentian opened his eyes after three days of cultivating the secrets of the dragon flames. He sensed that he was no longer alone in the underground chamber.

“He’s here!”

“We found him!”

Fiver figures emerged from the tunnel. The torches they carried illuminated familiar faces.

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t that useless surnamed Chen.” Zheng Hao said and laughed, “You certainly led this daddy on a long and difficult chase. Now… whatever treasure you’ve found, hand it over if you don’t want to die!”

Chen Wentian raised his arms out disarmingly, “Young Master Zheng, I haven’t found anything. All my money, I’ve already given it to you!”

Zheng Hao shook his head mockingly, “Don’t try to be clever. I’ve already seen through you. You left so quickly like a rat the other day that I didn't remember but now I do. During that marriage seeking tournament, you were only at the 2nd Level of the Body Refinement Realm. Now, not even two years later, you are at the 1st Level of the Mind Focusing Realm. Something like that is simply impossible unless you had some lucky encounters.”

He paused and looked around the cavern, “And after following you and seeing this place, it seems that it wasn’t quite due to luck after all.”

Chen Wentian backed away a few steps, still putting on an act, “I really don’t have anything. Please, let me go.”

As expected, the five advanced, moving further into the cave. They were fully confident. Five high-level Mind Focusing Realm cultivators against one at the first level, there was no way they could lose.

“This is your last chance… Or else you will wish for death when I am done with you!” Zheng Hao snarled.

Chen Wentian didn’t say anything and retreated until his back was against the wall.

Zheng Hao spat angrily, “Still stubborn? Fine, get him!”

The four underlings charged together, with the big one in the lead.

Chen Wentian's demeanor finally changed. He grinned and raised a fist. A strange energy emerged from his body and covered the surface of his skin with brilliant blue flames, divine flames of the blue dragon!

Bang!

“Ahhhhh!” The big guy crumpled to the ground, clutching his arm which had been melted down to a bloody stump at the wrist.

The others stared in horror and confusion. Their momentary lack of attention was their undoing.

Chen Wentian flashed past them; his feet covered in flames as well. A kick seared a gaping hole in the next person’s chest. A second punch cleaved off the third one's entire shoulder and another fiery kick severed both legs of the fourth.

Divine flames were simply unstoppable. These blue dragon flames were feared by even immortals and simply had no equal in the Mind Focusing Realm.

“Impossible! Impossible!” Zheng Hao screamed.

To him, what Chen Wentian had done was impossible. A Mind Focusing Realm cultivator could not produce spiritual energy, and thus they could no produce flames! It was simply impossible to produce and control spiritual energy unless they were at the Spirit Initiate Realm.

But Chen Wentian wasn't at the Spirit Initiate Realm and he wasn’t using spiritual energy. He was using divine flames that came from his source of fire.

And with this source of fire, he was no longer just a human. He was also a budding blue dragon!

Chen Wentian rushed at Zheng Hao. The terrified man tried to flee but his mind was in complete disarray. His feet seemed sluggish and his judgment was nonexistent. Chen Wentian caught up behind Zheng Hao and stabbed his flame-covered hand through the man’s back.

“Ahhhhh!”

Zheng Hao fell to the ground. He managed to land on his back and clutched the gaping hole in the middle of his chest.

“No… don’t kill me.” He gurgled, blood pouring out of his mouth, “I will give you anything… don’t…”

Chen Wentian leaned down and touched a finger to the man’s head. “Shhh... you don’t have to worry about death because soon, you won’t exist at all!”

--- 

Thank you to all my patrons!

Support me and read ahead by 10 or even 20 chapters!

p atreon.com/kigreenwriting

Join my discord for updates, delays, and my ramblings :)

d iscord.gg/dY5UApw

77