384. Side Story: Difficulties of a Woman (II)
3.7k 5 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Peng Lingxi climbed up the short stone steps as all eyes followed her every movement. Her long ponytail swished behind her, brushing past her narrow waist and across her wide hips which swayed from side to side. Her movements were confident and her face showed no emotion.

“Disciple Peng Lingxi, please instruct me.” She said after bowing to the elders.

Elder Peng Feihe soon called the name a male disciple from his cohort who bounded up excitedly and bowed.

“Disciple Peng Feiwen, please instruct me.”

Peng Lingxi’s sharp brown eyes studied her opponent.

Peng Feiwen was obviously a relative of that elder. Their features were similar. He was tall and broad, with a wide face that couldn’t be considered handsome but he wasn’t bad looking either. He was around the mid-twenties and at the upper levels of the Mind Focusing Realm.

“Disciples, the stage is yours.” Elder Peng Lei said as the two elders stood to the side, “No spiritual energy is allowed, only use your physical ability and sword skills.”

“Yes, elder!”

“Yes, elder.”

Peng Feiwen faced Peng Lingxi. He withdrew a broadsword that was strapped to his back. It was longer and much heavier than hers which was only two fingers wide and one meter long, a standard sword which was the most popular.

“Little Sister Lingxi, here I come!” He said and lifted his sword.

He rushed at her, swinging his sword in a wide arc like a rushing bull.

Peng Lingxi didn’t even bother to draw her sword as she dodged the first blow, then the one after, and then several more in quick succession. The male disciple’s sword form was unpolished and his steps were sluggish. She could easily tell how he intended to attack as soon as he made the slightest movement.

To the uninitiated, it seemed as if Peng Feiwen was dominating her and forcing her to dance to his tune. In reality, she was merely avoiding a mad dog that was trying to bite its owner. She could have chosen to turn it around in an instant but chose to give her opponent some face.

The elders knew what was happening and both shook their heads. It was a sad display for experts like them.

The bout was mercifully stopped after a few minutes.

Peng Feiwen stumbled to a stop, gasping for breath, his hair now unkempt from the exertion, his grey robes a mess. His initial optimism was completely crushed and his face was a mask of shame. He made one last glance at the impeccable Peng Lingxi before fleeing off the stage.

Peng Lingxi, who still hadn’t drawn her sword, who didn’t have a single hair out of place, also got off the stage. She got nothing useful out of her useless opponent. It was a waste of time and these male disciples were all incompetent in her eyes. She would rather practice by herself but she didn’t have a choice.

The joint practice continued. Pairs of disciples were called up one by another. Each fight lasted no longer than five minutes and soon it was her turn once again. She dispatched this new challenger with barely any effort, only drawing her sword once to disarm him.

Several more turns followed until, eventually, it was close to lunchtime and the practice was almost over. Peng Lingxi was called up for the last bout and her opponent was someone unexpected.

“Disciple Peng Feihong, greets junior sister!” A young man said as he strode up to the stage, exuding a kind of confidence that no other male disciple so far possessed.

His age was the same as the others but his demeanor was completely different. His movements were sharp, his eyes even sharper. Everything about him was like a sword, a true practitioner of the path of the sword, a core disciple.

Peng Lingxi turned to the elders. “What is going on?”

Peng Feihong was a core disciple. He was already at the 1st Level of the Spirit Initiate Realm. She didn’t know why somebody like this showed up at a random practice session for ordinary disciples.

Elder Peng Feihe laughed, “My nephew Feihong just happened to be visiting me so he tagged along this morning. Lingxi, please excuse his manners but he felt inspired by your talent with the sword and wanted to give you some pointers.”

“Actually, junior sister Lingxi,” Peng Feihong spoke up, “I am a straightforward man so I will not mislead you. You know who I am and I have also learned about you. The truth is, you intrigue me.”

This drew several gasps from the female disciples. It was almost a confession, a declaration of his intent. As if that wasn’t clear enough, his next words cast away all doubt.

“Lingxi… I want you to be my sword partner!”

The courtyard erupted into squeals of excitement as well as groans of disappointment.

The male disciples all knew that they had no shot at Peng Lingxi now that Peng Feihong had shown his face. The status of a core disciple compared to an ordinary disciple was like heaven and earth. One had an opportunity to seek the immortal path while the other had no chance whatsoever.

The female disciples were mostly excited as this was a hugely beneficial development. Peng Lingxi would become a core disciple’s partner and she would no longer compete with them for other male disciples. She would no longer be the queen bee that attracted all attention to her and the other female disciples would be able to have a fair shot.

Peng Lingxi ignored the noise around her and measured this man from top to bottom. He was undoubtedly handsome, with a long face and slender features. His demeanor was clearly that of someone focused on cultivation. She could find no fault at all in him but this didn’t mean her heart was moved. Her sword heart was like cold steel. It couldn’t be moved by good looks alone. She wanted to see if this person was the real deal, a savant of the sword that could equal her, that could impress her to the core.

“Senior Brother Feihong,” She finally replied, “Thank you for your kind words. I wonder, though, the Lonely Sword Wanderer is a solitary sword art. Why would you need a partner when I cannot cultivate that sword art?”

Peng Feihong chuckled, “Junior sister does not know so you have misunderstood the situation. The Lonely Sword Wanderer is a solitary sword art but it also requires complete mastery of both the Sword of the Gallant Gentleman and the Sword of the Noble Lady to progress past the initial portions.”

“Then, why does senior brother need me? Would you not have more suitable partners among other core disciples? I am merely an ordinary disciple with low abilities. Surely, there are better options?”

“Master does not accept any women as core disciples. All core disciples have to seek sword partners from ordinary disciples.”

“Why is that?” She asked sharply.

Peng Feihong looked stunned for a moment but he quickly shook his head, “Apologies, junior sister. I do not know the reason and it is not my place to speculate as to why. Now…”

He drew his sword and swished it in the air. “I would like you to be my sword partner. Please give me this opportunity to show you my sincerity.”

Peng Lingxi drew her sword as well, twirling it under the sunlight and making it flash with a rainbow of colors.

“Please instruct me.”

64