392. An Interesting Opponent
2.8k 4 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Wentian shot down and pierced the black cloud of insects like a blazing meteor. Flames of the blue dragon covered the sky and set the land aflame. The humans on the ground only felt a sweltering heatwave while the demonized locusts were all subject to a hellish inferno. Some insects tried to flee but his immortal aura had already locked down the entire area. There was no escape. All the demons were turned to ash in a few moments.

The flames receded afterward and, with a final wave of his hand, were finally extinguished. Cheers and shouts of relief exploded amongst the survivors. The only one that could have saved them was a human immortal and he had arrived not a moment too soon.

He found Bei Yingluo’s prone figure and floated towards her. His immortal aura remained, billowing about ferociously, forcing everyone else back. He was angry, truly angry. He hadn’t been prepared and it almost cost the life of his disciple. He wouldn’t shed a tear if a million human souls died. But if his disciple died… he couldn’t imagine what he would do.

He placed a hand on her chest and examined her. She was drifting in and out of consciousness. Her body was in bad condition with torn muscles, fractured bones, and bleeding internal organs.

Her eyes fluttered, “Master… I’m sorry…”

Her words became muddled and she moaned softly from the pain wracking her body.

His anger dissipated and he rubbed her cheek.

“I’m here. Rest now.” He replied softly.

He emptied a bottle of healing elixir in her mouth and made her swallow. He then wrapped her in a protective bubble of spiritual energy to stabilize her body. He only looked back up after he made sure she had fallen into a deep sleep.

The members of the Bei Clan and the remaining survivors had all gathered around him at a safe distance. They all had their heads bowed to the ground, in appreciation but mostly in fear.

“Bei Hao, Bei Chen, stand up.” He called.

“Yes, Lord Chen!” Both women obeyed, looking at each other nervously

“How are your people?” He asked.

Bei Hao answered first, “Lord Chen, it was all thanks to your timely rescue. All of our people survived, though with some injuries. As for the locals we recruited, losses were severe.”

Chen Wentian nodded, “The rest of you can stand and go about your business. Take care of the wounded. Here are some basic healing pills, use it all and don’t be stingy.”

He threw several leather bags out.

“Thank you, Lord Chen!”

“Thank you, Lord Chen!”

The crowd quickly dispersed, almost fleeing for safety.

He turned back to the two Bei Clan members, “Tell me, how did this happen?”

Bei Hao and Bei Chen explained their demon hunting plan and left out no detail. They had scouted the surrounding region for three days and recruited the strongest forces from the local population. The original locust swarm was the only one in the vicinity and there was no indication that there was another much more powerful swarm nearby.

They both also apologized over and over again for their mistake, knowing he was angry.

“No, you couldn’t have prepared for this. The second swarm flew a hundred kilometers, over the mountain range from the province to the south. I don’t blame you for what happened.” Chen Wentian said. “Here, take these elixirs and heal your people.”

They let out weary sighs of relief and accepted the bottles.

“But then… This was a trap?” Bei Hao asked.

Chen Wentian’s eyes narrowed, “Yes, it seems that way.”

He didn’t say anymore and sent them away.

The truth was obvious and fearsome. This was a well-planned and insidious trap. The small swarm was the bait that attracted a thousand strong cultivators in a single place. It was a perfect meal for the larger swarm that was lying in wait. Humans at the Spirit Initiate Realm and Mind Focusing Realm were much better food for demons than those Body Refinement Realm. It was more efficient than raiding a hundred villages and towns.

But locusts were incapable of such planning. They were simple creatures driven by natural instinct and swarming behavior. It was simply impossible for a swarm to come up with something so complicated. Even if they were corrupted by demonic energy, their intelligence was still the lowest of the low.

Therefore, the only possibility was that they were being directed by a higher intelligence, a much stronger demon!

Chen Wentian’s spiritual energy flared as he leaped into the air. He expanded his spiritual sense to the limit and searched the surrounding area. He flew in ever widening circles, leaving no leaf undisturbed and no rock unturned. He swept out to fifty kilometers in all directions but found nothing. There wasn’t a single powerful soul anywhere and no immortal spiritual energy residue either.

He wasn’t able to find anything but he knew… that the unknown enemy was already here. Whatever kind of demon it was, it was sneaky. It liked to use traps. And it was testing him.

Perhaps it already suspected him. Perhaps it already had a hint about the possible existence of a demon slayer art. Perhaps it was simply biding its time and gathering information. Regardless of the possibilities, one thing was clear. This opponent was similar to himself. And this kind of opponent was the toughest of them all.

This trap of demonized locusts was surely only the beginning. The enemy clearly never expected it to result in anything, hence the fact that they weren’t anywhere nearby. More traps were sure to come, ones that would start to test his bottom line.

He couldn’t slip up. He couldn’t show weakness. But most importantly, he couldn’t reveal his most important secrets unless absolutely necessary. Otherwise, he would lose this invisible battle before he could even find out his enemy’s true form.

Chen Wentian smiled grimly. “An interesting opponent… just you wait!”

He wasn’t prepared before now he was. In the realm of being sneaky and underhanded, there was nobody better than him. He was going to show this mediocre demon the meaning of true power.

69