428. Virtuous Order (II)
2.6k 9 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Greetings, friend.” A voice interrupted Chen Wentian’s musings.

It belonged to another newly arrived acolyte, a tall strapping man that was at least half a head taller than Chen Wentian.

Chen Wentian hid a frown and cupped his fists, “Greetings.”

The other man continued, “My name is Immortal Drifting Axe Han Baohu, a new acolyte. May I ask your name?”

Chen Wentian eyed the man carefully. Chen Wentian was distrustful but he also couldn’t be rude without reason. As an acolyte, his actions would also reflect on Long Yifei.

“I am Immortal Blue Dragon Chen Wentian, also a new acolyte. You have a good eye for details. I would not have been able to discern it from you.”

Han Baohu laughed, “It’s nothing really. I simply saw how you were one of the few like me that were by themselves and couldn’t help but feel a sense of comradery. These others all seem to know each other and are residents of the Martial Brilliance Continent. They didn’t want to talk to a no-name immortal from a subcontinent so I didn’t overstay my welcome with them.”

“Ah, I see. That means you are not from here. So where are you from?” Chen Wentian asked. He disliked talking to men but he was still capable of small talk.

“I am from the Western Wumu Subcontinent. If I had to guess, Brother Chen is from the Eastern Sanmu Subcontinent?”

“Correct, how did you know?”

“Hahaha, quite easy actually. I don’t possess any mind-reading abilities so don’t worry. The Western Wumu Subcontinent is the western neighbor of the Eastern Sanmu Subcontinent. I have visited Eastern Sanmu many times and am familiar with the accent of the region. It is very distinctive. In fact, the continents all have subtle differences in their accents that a seasoned ear like mine can easily distinguish.”

“Impressive, impressive! Brother Han’s knowledge has opened my eyes!” Chen Wentian said.

He wasn’t lying. This information about regional dialects and accents was important. All of his souls were from the Eastern Sanmu Subcontinent. It would be difficult for him to sneak around pretending to be a local unless he found another soul as soon as possible.

“Speaking of which, Brother Chen, are you the only acolyte from the Eastern Sanmu Subcontinent?” Han Baohu asked.

“Not sure.”

“Did you go through the transcontinental teleportation array with other parties or just your own?”

“Just my own.”

Han Baohu nodded, “Ah, I see. Then you probably did not have any other Sacred Daughters or acolytes. Each region is different, sometimes there are more, sometimes there are less. The year before, Western Wumu had nobody. This year, we thankfully had three Sacred Daughters and acolytes. Look over there.”

He pointed to two immortals who were mingling with other groups. “I’ll introduce you to them later. They are both trying to find friends and allies. We are merely poor peasants in the eyes of the elites of the continent. We’re all facing an uphill battle and should stick together!”

Chen Wentian nodded, “Brother Han’s words are wise. If you find it acceptable, you have a friend in Chen Wentian.”

Since the other party had offered, Chen Wentian wasn’t closed-minded enough to refuse. Having allies, even nominal ones, was always useful. He wouldn’t ever trust a strange immortal fully but it would be good to exchange information occasionally and lend a hand if it wasn’t too bothersome.

Han Baohu’s face brightened, “Brother Chen!”

The two of them shook hands and shared a laugh. They chatted about random things for a while before the conversation turned back to the Virtuous Order.

“The sacred arts of the Virtuous Order are truly wonderous and broad. When I first heard about it, I knew instantly that I had to find a Sacred Daughter and join them.” Han Baohu said.

“Why is that?”

Han Baohu sighed, “All of my disciples are trash. Or maybe I am a useless master. My Axe Mountain Sect hasn’t been able to find a worthy successor for hundred years. None of them have been able to master my immortal Dao, how miserable is that? I heard that Sacred Daughters a specific sacred art that can instill tremendous martial and cultivation talent into their first child, combining the talents of both parents into a genius. Such a child is all but guaranteed to reach the immortal realms.

“Hahaha, Brother Chen, please don’t think that I lack ambition. I have simply lived long enough to seek the most practical goal possible. I don’t care if my Xiang’er can become a prioress or an abbotess or some other nonsense. Once she masters that sacred art, I will have a child with her!”

Chen Wentian chimed in, “But won’t that anger the order? You would be cutting off her cultivation path. She would no longer be able to practice without her virginity.”

Han Baohu waved his hand dismissively, “My Xiang’er has only the mediocre talent of blessed daughter. They told me that if I provided enough resources and support, she might have a small chance of reaching the Spirit Lord Realm. But what use is that? I would already be dead!”

“I see, Brother Han is wise as always. My disciple, Fei’er, is of the same talent. They told me that if I supported her enough, she could improve to the grade of sacred daughter. But from your words, it looks like that would likely bankrupt me long before anything else.”

“Hahaha, that’s right!” Han Baohu slapped a large hand on Chen Wentian’s shoulder, “We cannot be too greedy or have too high hopes. These new Sacred Daughters, they are not equal. Although their grades are hidden from us, their innate talent will reveal the truth soon enough. The school is a playground for the higher grades, sacred daughters, holy daughters, even divine daughters.”

“Divine daughter?” Chen Wentian asked, pretending to be astonished, “Do you think there is a divine daughter here?”

“If there was, their acolyte would be a truly fearsome person, someone that even these Spirit Kings here wouldn’t dare to offend. Such fearsome talent is enough to set the entire Martial Brilliance Continent aflame with jealousy. Perhaps such talent is more of a curse than a blessing.”

Chen Wentian complained bitterly in his heart. It was indeed a massive curse. Why couldn’t Long Yifei have been a holy daughter instead? Why did his luck have to be so good?

If he had spoken those words out loud, perhaps he would have been instantly slapped to death by the gathered immortals. But he didn’t and instead continued chatting with the friendly Han Baohu.

Around an hour passed with new arrivals steadily flowing in. The Sacred Daughters numbered over a thousand and Long Yifei’s face was lost among the crowd, melting into a sea of beautiful faces and attractive figures.

Once the last stragglers finally arrived, a crisp bell rang to signify the next stage of the entrance ceremony. The members of the Order went first, followed by the new students, and then the acolytes, like worried parents chasing after their children.

Beyond the amphitheater, the forest gave way to the actual campus of the Virtuous Order. There was a main avenue paved with white stone and two well-manicured strips of dark green grass on either side. Outside of that, there were two rows of monolithic square buildings, each one the size of a small city square. Countless diagonal pathways at different angles cut across the grass, providing easier access to various buildings.

The procession marched up the avenue until it stopped before a massive marble building that was twice as wide and tall as the others. The main doors, made of some kind of silvery metal, swung open in greeting. Once inside, each of the three groups separated. Chen Wentian followed the directions given and arrived at a long balcony overlooking a vast banquet hall and performance stage on one end.

The audience comprised of over five thousand Sacred Daughters, seating around round tables of ten each. Their uniform white robes were like freshly fallen snowflakes. Their combined feminine aura attracted every male’s attention. Their fragrances wafted up, sweet and heart-stirring. It was a field of flowers in full bloom.

The abbotesses and prioresses went up to stage while the new Sacred Daughters took their seats at the empty tables in the front. The acolytes also took their seats.

After a moment, Immortal Dawn Euphony Li Shishi stepped forward and spoke, her voice like a song, “Welcome, Sacred Daughters. Welcome, acolytes. To the Millennium Mountains Campus of the Virtuous Order of Chunzhen and our two thousand five hundred and fiftieth school year!”

---

Thank you to all my patrons!

Support me and read ahead by 30 or even 60 chapters!

p atreon.com/kigreenwriting

Join my discord for updates, delays, and my ramblings :)

d iscord.gg/dY5UApw

63