443. Plotting Enemies
2.9k 19 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night of the Gift Exhibit came to a close. The gifts were returned to their owners. The male guests and acolytes left the Millennium Mountains Campus. The students returned to their dorms. Even the servants had all left Spring Rain Hall.

The only ones that were left were two immortals of the Virtuous Order, one abbotess and one prioress. They were in one of the staff rooms, sharing a pot of fragrant tea while waiting for the morning.

“Master, I think this year’s Gift Exhibit went very well. The gifts on display were all a step better in terms of quality and uniqueness than the years prior.” Immortal Winter Hymn Xuan Xina said, pouring more tea into another’s cup. “All the major auction houses showed up as well as members from each of the Seven Potentates of Jiannan. I would say that it was the most exciting Gift Exhibit in the last decade.”

Immortal Dawn Euphony Li Shishi accepted the cup, took a small sip, and nodded slowly, “Mmm. I would say so as well. This year’s roster has great potential. These men have their sources and it was impossible for them not to know of this fact. And where there are beautiful and talented women, great men are sure to follow.”

Master and disciple fell silent for a while, each one absorbed in their own thoughts. They were a fitting pair, both stunningly beautiful and elegant without fault. A mortal observer would have thought they were sisters.

Li Shishi emptied her cup and looked over at her disciple, “Xina, what did you think about Long Yifei’s performance tonight?”

“She… lived up to master’s praises.” Xuan Xina said, “Her demeanor, her charm, her talent, I think she is suitable. But…”

Li Shishi’s lips twitched and turned into a small smile, “Speak your mind. What did you see in her?”

“The information we got from Gui Li and Zhu Yao’er doesn’t seem to be quite correct. I thought that Long Yifei would be accepting of my offer, of the Order’s intentions. But it seems that her acolyte holds a much higher standing in her heart than any of us have realized.” Xuan Xina huffed in frustration, “I don’t know about Gui Li but I always knew Zhu Yao’er had terrible attention to detail. Asking her to read a person is like asking her to read a pig.”

Li Shishi chuckled, “Perhaps, or perhaps not. A person’s heart can change over time. Currently, Long Yifei is still getting accustomed to a wholly new environment. It is natural for her to cling more strongly to the remaining vestige of home, her acolyte. But as she stays here longer, her old life will gradually fall away and her new life here will dominate. She will see that staying with her acolyte has no future.”

Xuan Xina cut in, “We might not have the time. She has already caught the eyes of the Seven Potentates. They will move quickly to suppress her acolyte. If she stays with him, she won’t be able to receive any good gifts. He will only waste her talent as a divine daughter. Or she might even get snatched up by them. We have to get her on our side as quickly as possible! She is our hope, she can bring the Virtuous Order to new heights. Perhaps she could help us suppress the Sororal Order once and for all! We can’t let the Seven Potentates have a divine daughter. I would offer myself before I let Long Yifei be taken!

Li Shishi waved her hand to calm her disciple, “I understand… and I feel the same. It's not like we won’t do anything. I will put you in charge of gathering gifts for her, use my authority and funds as you see fit. At the Gift Giving Ceremony, the Seven Potentates can oppress and humiliate her acolyte however they like. But Long Yifei will still receive the best gifts from us. We will make our stance clear to these men; nobody is allowed to touch her!”

“Yes, master!”

---

To the south of the Martial Brilliance Continent, far away from the Millennium Mountains Campus, there was a prosperous land filled with lakes and rivers called the Million Lakes Province. Its climate was mild. It was teeming with life and sources of spiritual energy. It was a cultivation holy land.

This place belonged to the Yang Clan, experts of all kinds of Dao related to water. They resided in the many palaces that had been constructed on islands in the middle of lakes and rivers. Each of these hundreds of palaces was on par with an immortal sect or the royal palace of an empire. And among these, The Palace on Lake Bai was the residence of Immortal Bamboo Wave Yang Gehu…

Bang!

The front doors to the palace crashed open, bouncing off the stone walls, almost tearing off the hinges. Yang Gehu stormed inside, sweeping away the servants and guards behind him. He had returned from the Gift Exhibit in a towering rage, unable to accept that he had been rejected by Long Yifei.

“Long Yifei… Long Yifei…” He slammed his fist through a nearby wall.

He had been utterly humiliated, in public no less. Many people had seen his actions and her response. She might as well have slapped his face and stepped on his pride. He was the joke of the other potentates. He wouldn’t be able to raise his head in their presence for a month at least. It was intolerable!

“Black River, Yellow River, where the hell are you two? Come out!” He bellowed; his voice echoed throughout the palace.

A few breaths later, two immortals appeared before him and bowed. They were both short and skinny, with unattractive square faces. They looked like twins.

They were at the Spirit Lord Realm, the same as Yang Gehu. But their status couldn’t be compared to his. These two were servants of the Yang Clan. Even after reaching the immortal realms, they were still servants, bound to the clan that supported their cultivation.

Yang Gehu stared at the two with a cold gaze. “I have a task for you both.”

“Young lord, please instruct us!”

“Young lord, please instruct us!”

“There is a Sacred Daughter named Long Yifei. She dared to humiliate and reject me. I will make her pay! Her acolyte is from the Eastern Sanmu Subcontinent and is known as Immortal Blue Dragon Chen Wentian. Black River, go to the subcontinent and find out everything you can about these two people. I want to know everything, even the smallest detail.”

“Yes!”

“Yellow River, keep tabs on Chen Wentian here in the Marital Brilliance Continent. He is sure to be looking for gifts for the Gift Giving Ceremony. Contact our people at the auction houses. Make sure this peasant from the subcontinent can’t buy anything useful. Outbid him on everything, bleed him dry. It doesn’t matter how much money it takes. I have to crush him with the might of the Yang Clan! I want to see Long Yifei utterly humiliated at the Gift Giving Ceremony! Understand?”

“Yes, young lord!”

“Yes, young lord!”

---

Thank you to all my patrons!

Support me and read ahead by 35 or even 70 chapters!

p atreon.com/kigreenwriting

Join my discord for updates, delays, and my ramblings :)

d iscord.gg/dY5UApw

61