496. Side Story: All About Bandits (III)
2.2k 4 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Many pairs of eyes studied Lin Qingcheng and Zhou Ziyun, their slightest movement and even their steady breathing, silently judging them. The male gangsters were rather interested in the character of Ren Jinjin and her alluring physical traits while the female gangsters were curious about the appearance of a nun among such a rough crowd.

After a moment of silence, Zhou Ziyun continued speaking, “Our master is known as Immortal Sword Bandit Lin Huzhong. You may not have heard of him but the continent will know of his name very soon. His power is boundless and his ambition is equally limitless. He is a man of no home but he has taken an interest in the Martial Brilliance Continent.”

She looked around and continued, “My master knows that the Martial Brilliance Continent is a dangerous place filled with powerhouses and hidden experts. However, he believes he has the power and means to establish roots and grow here. The problem is that we are too few in number. My master never liked taking in too many disciples during our travels. In total, it is only our master and three disciples, us two and another sister who could not make it tonight. Thus, he has decided to seek an alliance with local gangs of great potential in order to quickly establish himself and move his plans forward.”

“Little nun, just get to the point.” A voice interrupted her. It came from Huang Tou, the leader of the Yellow Turban Gang, a cranky old fart with a white beard that almost reached the floor, “All of us have survived for many decades and are just fine by ourselves. Why should we join your alliance? Why should we do anything for your master?”

Zhou Ziyun remained unfazed. In response to the question, she merely flicked her hand and deposited a large pile of glittering orange crystals before her feet.

The crowd stirred in excitement.

“Orange spiritual crystal!”

“Oh, my heavens!”

A few couldn’t help but blurt out due to their greed.

“That’s right. Money.” Zhou Ziyun said, “We’ll provide substantial amounts of spiritual crystals if you choose to join the alliance. There is enough here that even if it is split seven ways, it will fund your gangs for decades at least. But aside from money, you all should know the situation of the Martial Brilliance Continent. The southern third of the continent is ruled by the Virtuous Order of Chunzhen and the Seven Potentates of Jiannan. It is difficult for people like us to make a living here. The same goes for the northern third which is controlled by the Sororal Order of Endless Love and their supporters, the Northern Oligarchs.”

“These two sides are constantly fighting for supremacy and have long used the central region as a battleground. This has created a chaotic environment where gangs like you guys have been able to thrive. This chaos is also what drew my master here. His goal is to establish a base in the continent and eventually become a warlord of the central region.”

Her last statement was met with many incredulous faces as well as noises of disbelief. Warlords were the most powerful bandit organizations in the central region. They rivaled whole kingdoms and entire provinces in power and were all led by Spirit Kings at least. A random sword bandit wanting to become a warlord was nothing more than a dream.

Lin Qingcheng chimed in to defend Zhou Ziyun, “All of you do not need to worry if our master can reach the Spirit King Realm or not. All we are asking for is an alliance and our money in exchange for your manpower to carry out certain tasks. We are not trying to take over your gangs. Master is very stingy about disciples and would never accept you guys anyway.”

This drew more discontent but Chen Wentian spoke up loudly, “Think about it. Lady Ren and Lady Yimin are offering us not just an alliance but a future. Ever since the Red Sun Gang has fallen down, I’ve experienced the hardship that bottom-feeder gangs like us suffer. Every day is a struggle to survive, fighting against rivals, fighting against customers, fighting against everyone.”

He turned to Huang Tou, “Old Turban, how old are you this year? Eighty-five?”

“Eighty-four!” Huang Tou shouted angrily.

“Exactly!” Chen Wentian said, “How much longer do you think you can hold up the Yellow Turban Gang? What will happen to your people when you finally bite the dust? If you join this alliance, their future will be assured.”

He turned to another gang that consisted of only women, “Red Willow, do you think your Red Willow Tower can survive alone forever. Have you forgotten how much the Red Sun Gang has helped your little establishment in the past? Everyone, please open your minds. We are being offered the support of an immortal, a tremendous blessing. We should consider it carefully instead of just rejecting it without any thought!”

His impassioned speech was met with uncertain silence as the gangs whispered amongst themselves.

But eventually, Xiao Mei of the Blood Hook Gang stepped forward, “Old Wang speaks with reason. If we weren’t interested in such a deal, we wouldn’t have shown up tonight. The Blood Hook Gang is certainly interested but we also don’t want to completely lose our independence.”

“That’s right, an alliance is possible but it has to be under the right conditions.” Old Seventh, the Iron Lock Crew Leader, added.

“Don’t worry. My master is a reasonable person. I am willing to hear your conditions in his place.” Lin Qingcheng said.

“That’s good!”

“Alright!”

With that promise, the atmosphere inside the warehouse suddenly shifted and the gangs began an earnest discussion about the proposed alliance, the benefits they could get, and what responsibilities would be expected.

---

Lin Qingcheng and Zhou Ziyun left the meeting sometime later and climbed into their horse carriage to take them back to the hotel. Chen Wentian, as Wang Landi, did not join them as he had to return to the Red Sun Gang.

The meeting was successful and they had achieved all of their objectives. With so much money on the table, the gangs only had a few conditions to ensure their existing power structure and a sense of self-governance. This was fine as Chen Wentian didn’t want to be bothered by the day-to-day management of gangs.

By the end of the night, a draft of the alliance covenant had been signed by all parties. A tentative name for the alliance was agreed upon, the Sword Bandit Syndicate, a name that they all hoped would one day shake up the Martial Brilliance Continent from top to bottom.

“Sis, it went surprisingly well tonight.” Lin Qingcheng said as the carriage traveled through the pre-dawn city.

“Hmm? Yeah, I suppose.” Zhou Ziyun said, still thinking about something.

“I thought these gang leaders were all cranky and difficult people to deal with. But it turns out, they all are quite nice.” Lin Qingcheng said with a smile, “Some of them even complimented my outfit!”

“Wait, what?” Zhou Ziyun froze. Her eyes shifted rapidly as she comprehended Lin Qingcheng’s words and what had taken place during the meeting.

After a few moments, she exhaled sharply and leaned back in her seat, as if in defeat.

“What’s wrong?” Lin Qingcheng asked, oblivious.

“Don’t you see?” Zhou Ziyun said bitterly, “We got played. Nun my ass!”

“Huh?”

“Chengcheng, you know master’s soul art, right?”

“Mmhmm. It allows him to take over weaker souls at will.”

“Right. So, how many of those bandit leaders do you think were actually here of their own will? Or were all of them his pawns already?”

Lin Qingcheng looked down at her alluring, mature physique that was totally fake and then at Zhou Ziyun’s nun disguise which was utterly ridiculous. It took a while but she finally realized it.

“Master, you big bully!”

---

Thank you to all my patrons!

Support me and read ahead by 50 or even 100 chapters!

p atreon.com/kigreenwriting

Join my discord for updates, delays, and my ramblings :)

d iscord.gg/dY5UApw

58