7. River East City
52.6k 13 417
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Wentian chose River East City as his first target. It was a city-state that controlled the surrounding region. It was a trading hub situated on the eastern banks of a wide, navigable river. It was bustling nexus of humanity with a population close to one million.

The city was quite large but it was insignificant in the eyes of immortals. The strongest cultivators did not even reach the Spirit Initiate Realm. But this city wasn't too far from the area he had chosen for his sect. If the city was too far, it would be a hassle. He hoped that he would be able to find someone here.

The city lord, who was only at the middle levels of the Mind Focusing Realm, was quickly subdued by his immortal might. The common population of the province didn't know that their new immortal lord had arrived but now they would know. After River East City, the news would automatically spread and he wouldn't have to do anything.

Chen Wentian commanded the city lord to send an invitation to all the prominent clans and organizations within the city. He wanted to find a disciple from amongst the young talents of the noble families, prominent merchants, and strongest martial clans. Everyone aged sixteen to twenty was invited but he didn't have much patience so it had to be done within three days.

The city lord was completely awed and quickly carried out these orders. After merely two days, everything had been prepared. On the morning of the third day, the city lord's manor was filled to the brim with handsome young men and vivacious young women who were just starting to blossom.

"Citizens of River East City! This is Immortal Blue Dragon Chen Wentian. Bow to your immortal lord!" The city lord addressed the crowded grand hall.

Everyone knelt and kowtowed. At a glance, there were more young women than young men, at around a two-to-one ratio. He didn't know why and he didn't care if these people had any weird ideas. Although he appreciated beauty, talent was what mattered.

The city lord continued speaking, "Today is the Disciple Seeking Ceremony for Lord Chen who is the sect master of Ten Thousand Flower Valley. At long last, our province will have an immortal sect. This is a chance that won't come again. I hope each and every one of you will give your best performance and not let our River East City down!"

"Yes, city lord!" After replying, the audience remained bowed.

Chen Wentian studied them for a little while before speaking, "You may rise."

The room let out a breath of relief and they all stood up.

Chen Wentian stood up also and strode to the center of the room. When he spoke, his every word was filled with spiritual might, "Youths of River Each City, I am Immortal Blue Dragon Chen Wentian. I am a newly promoted immortal. My Ten Thousand Flower Valley has just been established. I have only one disciple so far."

He paused and gestured towards a figure sitting next to the city lord. Lin Qingcheng stood up and offered a neat bow before sitting back down.

"My first disciple, Lin Qingcheng. Eighteen years old. She was an ordinary girl a month ago at the 3rd Level of the Body Refinement Realm. Now, she is already at the 8th Level of Body Refinement!"

There were gasps and murmurs of praise. Lin Qingcheng's cultivation could now compare to these geniuses and young scions of influential families. In fact, she had already stepped over their heads.

The eyes of the young men shone in excitement as they stole glances at the adorable young maiden dressed in light yellow robes. Perhaps they were already dreaming of spending time with this cute senior sister if they could join the sect. Chen Wentian scoffed in his mind. These people were simply tired of living!

As for the fairer sex, their attention was focused solely on Chen Wentian. Today, he wore a flowing sky-blue gown with intricate embroidery. His short hair was considered rather casual but they didn't care. He couldn't compare to many of the young men in terms of looks but this was inconsequential due to his irresistible might. To the young women gathered today, they hardly saw him as their future master but rather as the ideal husband.

Chen Wentian places his hands behind his back and continued to speak, "As you can see from my first disciple, I am someone who values talent and fate. I don't care too much about your family background. I only care if we share a common destiny, if we have the fortune to tread the cultivation path together. If you have some sort of talent besides cultivation and it’s something I need, it can be counted as fate. If we have a special connection at the spiritual level, it can also be counted as fate. There is a chance many of you can become my disciples, there's also a chance none of you will. But as long as I accept you, you do not have to worry about your future path. I have collected a variety of special skills and cultivation Daos. I will properly guide you and not let you down. Now let’s begin, I will be in the side chamber. The city lord will call your names and I will examine each candidate one by one."

"Yes, Immortal Lord!"

The disciple selection thus began. The first name was called while the others milled about in the great hall, quietly conversing among themselves. Most everyone was familiar with each other so it was a lively affair.

Chen Wentian stood in the middle of the small side chamber. The first candidate was a young woman, a busty fully-developed beauty wearing a rich golden dress. She strode in confidently, her wide hips swaying side to side in an exaggerated manner. She was adorned with jewels, from an exquisite headpiece to excessive necklaces and earrings.

She stopped before him and bent her waist in a deep bow, letting him peek at her deep cleavage. He felt a slight restlessness between his legs but that was all. He wasn't too impressed by her flamboyance.

"Lord Chen, this one is named Xu Jing, the Golden Pheasant Princess of River East City." She spoke and then slowly raised her head to give him a beaming smile.

Chen Wentian pursed his lips slightly, "Princess... you are Xu Weishang's daughter?"

She covered her mouth with the back of her hand as she giggled, "Yes, Lord Chen. City Lord Xu is indeed my father."

He didn't respond but instead examined her closely from head to toe. She proudly displayed her bulging breasts and her shapely curves. She was filled with confidence due to her status which could be considered the best among all of those gathered.

Her cultivation was also not bad. At the age of nineteen, she was firmly at the 7th Level of Body Refinement. Although not as amazing as Lin Qingcheng, this was still good for this city. However, she didn't seem to be much of a fighter and her martial aura was weak. Her clan must have provided her with medicinal pills to boost her cultivation but she probably rarely did any physical exercise.

"Tell me," He said, "What are you good at?"

Xu Jing's smile faltered, "Huh?"

"Do you do anything? Do you have any skills?"

"Uh... Lord Chen, I don't quite understand your questions. But my father, the city-lord rules over a million souls. Our Xu Clan has a personal army of over ten thousand. We have well-established departments for manufacturing weapons, city construction, tax collection, raising horses..."

She prattled on and on about her mighty Xu Clan and her father. Her tone was as arrogant as always. She fit the mold of the spoiled princess exactly. It seemed that she knew nothing and relied solely on her family.

While Lin Qingcheng also knew nothing, she was pure, honest, and obedient. This Xu Jing was the complete opposite. Chen Wentian knew that he wouldn't enjoy life with this loud and proud pheasant.

He held up a hand and silenced her with his spiritual energy, "It seems we are not fated. Please leave."

The girl was shocked and disappointed. She wanted to argue but she couldn’t utter a sound. She stomped her feet and pouted for a while before she huffed and left the room.

Another candidate came in, then another. For the young men, he put up a pretense of testing them before mercilessly rejecting them regardless of how smart or talented they were. As for the young women, they all seemed to be cut from the same cloth as the first girl.

They wore fabulous dresses and gowns. They were adorned with jewels and makeup. Many chose to accentuate their cleavage in impressive ways. Some even showed off a fair bit of skin. They each focused on how their family was rich or powerful or both. They all seemed to have no ability themselves. Once he had his fill ogling their nubile figures, he could only kick them out.

Finally, there was only one candidate left, a strange coincidence just like the time in Lin Town. When the young lady walked in, she also gave Chen Wentian a surprise.

417