63. Flipping the Table
17.7k 3 192
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Spirit Initiate Realm was the most critical juncture for all mortals. Supremely talented cultivators were all certain to achieve the 10th Level of the Spirit Initiate Realm around the early thirties. However, there was absolutely no guarantee they would be able to breakthrough to the Spirit Lord Realm. It took a combination of heaven defying talent, luck, legacy, resources, and inspiration from other immortals. There were no exact figures but, by some estimates, out of ten thousand cultivators at the peak of Spirit Initiate, there may only be one that could become an immortal.

 

The ones that gathered on stage today could be said to have the highest chances in the surrounding region. They all had talent, legacy, and resources. Luck, sadly, was completely out of one's hands. But, what this tournament did offer was a chance for inspiration.

The coveted prize of the main group was the right to use an immortal dream array created by Gong Liyun. It allowed one to enter a state of dreamlike cultivation. The dream increased one's focus, concentration, and effectiveness by three times the normal level. Dream cultivation also had a time dilation effect, meaning one year would pass within the dream while only about a month would pass by in the outside world.

The goal of the Immortal Association was to have more immortals. Thus, the prize was not limited to a few people but spread out to the top ten finishers. All ten would be given a minimum of one month in the dream array while the top three would be given more, with the first place given one whole extra month.

The amount of resources required to power the array for even one person for a month was simply astronomical. This was an opportunity that even immortals would covet. It would provide an excellent training opportunity for their best disciples. Also, the exorbitant resource cost would be footed by the immortal association!

Chen Wentian thought it was highly suspect that He Zicheng would not fight for competition spots for his men with such a prize. He could sense that the beast auras of the Beast God Sanctum competitors on stage were mostly from Qu Shen's Eagle Faction. He Zicheng had the best disciples behind Chen Wentian's during the first two competitions and it was hard to imagine that He Zicheng's Spirit Initiate Realm disciples were trash. Very fishy indeed...

The announcer continued to explain the rules for the main group. It would take multiple days, requiring many seeding matches for the large number of competitors before a double elimination tournament to determine the top ten and then the top three. However, as he was explaining additional details, he was interrupted by a massive flux of spiritual energy.

Woosh!

The entire stadium was silenced as an oppressive force pressed down from the air. An immortal shot down from the sky at full power and landed before the judges. Chen Wentian recognized him as someone from the Immortal Association.

"My lords! Please excuse this interruption, but there is an emergency!" The figure bowed and said.

"Speak." Huang Wuji said.

"At dawn this morning, all nine provinces that border the eastern frontier in the Eastern Sanmu Subcontinent have experienced monster invasions. There are an immeasurable number of beasts and demons pouring into the human territories. There are at least three Spirit King Realm beast kings that are driving this invasion along with an unknown number Spirit Lords. The association requires your guidance, my lords. The situation is urgent!"

The four judges immediately started discussing the information among themselves. This was indeed very serious! Mass invasions of beasts and demons occurred around once every twenty years in varying severity in the frontier provinces and each time it would result in millions, if not billions of mortal lives. The enemies could be large as mountains or they could be small as mice or insects. Once they broke through into the fertile lands, they would take root and become extremely difficult to eradicate. They would also bring with them strange plants and weird organisms that caused persistent problems later on.

Many in the audience screamed in horror and panic and some even started trying to escape. The capital city was deep within the frontier and this meant the monsters would soon be at their doorsteps!

As the four lords were discussing, the table suddenly exploded into dust as Huang Wuji erupted in fury.

"How long have you two known about this?" He bellowed.

Huang Wuji glared at Qu Shen and He Zicheng but they both stared back defiantly. Everyone in the audience seemed to suck in their breath, wanting to hear what happened. However, they were disappointed as the judges resumed their heated discussion out of earshot.

Chen Wentian guessed that the death of the Immortal Mamba of Shadow was finally revealed to the two other judges. He Zicheng and Qu Shen both probably knew something about the death but didn't tell anything.

Eventually, Huang Wuji rose into the air and his enhanced voice seemed to echo in every single person's ear.

"The monster invasion is real and we must respond. However, cultivating our future immortals is equally important. Thus, the format of the main group will be changed. The pool of competitors will be expanded. Anyone in the Spirit Initiate Realm can participate though we still recommend you be at least the 5th level or above. The prize will also be increased from the top ten to the top one hundred with the top ten receiving increased time in the dream array."

The competitors couldn't help but cheer at this news but Huang Wuji's next words quickly silenced them.

"However, the competition will be changed from a short tournament to a year-long monster hunting contest. You all will compete with each other in hunting the greatest number of monsters. The Immortal Association will soon start handing out missions. Each mission will have difficulty assigned and a corresponding number of points. Those with the highest amount of points at the end of one year will be the winners! Do your best to protect the innocent, and slay monsters. The Immortal Association will reward everyone for their efforts!"

Chen Wentian frowned as his mind spun, examining all the possibilities and potential ramifications. He felt this 'invasion' was an extremely lucky heavenly intervention for He Zicheng. It seemed too good to be true.

He Zicheng was about to completely lose face in the immortal sect competition. For both the junior group and the lower group, his disciples were supposed to dominate but were destroyed instead. He was about to lose a massive amount of influence within the Beast God Sanctum. Now, whatever chess match he was playing with Qu Shen was completely flipped off the table!

192